Recent threads

Un gentlemenly conduct

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin perman14/07/2019 10:12:39
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Gentlemen,

I enjoy reading the various topics that crop up on this forum and learn a lot but recently there seem to be a lot of one upmanship, using acronym's that are difficult to decipher and even swearing, putting people down when they have made an opinion and arguing over sometimes silly points. Why cant we all get along and respect each others views or opinions without reducing it to written abuse.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 14/07/2019 10:14:25

Rik Shaw14/07/2019 10:23:59
1494 forum posts
403 photos

Hello Martin - Can't say that I have noticed any increase in verbal "bovver" of late but that might be because I only read threads with titles that look interesting to me.

By the way, I looked for you and your engines yesterday at the Stow-Cum-Quy show but didn't spot you.

Rik

Alan Waddington 214/07/2019 10:34:03
537 forum posts
88 photos

It’s the internet Martin.......par for the course im afraid.

And are you aware how disrepectful it is to start a post with ‘Gentleman’ this implies all forum members are a specific gender, this could upset any members of other genders, or those who identify themselves as non gender specific, or as members of the opposite gender, or indeed some Myford owners, who identify themselves as a superior gender smile p

Posted by martin perman on 14/07/2019 10:12:39:

Gentlemen,

I enjoy reading the various topics that crop up on this forum and learn a lot but recently there seem to be a lot of one upmanship, using acronym's that are difficult to decipher and even swearing, putting people down when they have made an opinion and arguing over sometimes silly points. Why cant we all get along and respect each others views or opinions without reducing it to written abuse.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 14/07/2019 10:14:25

larry phelan 114/07/2019 10:49:41
1346 forum posts
15 photos

I do not take offence since I am no Gentleman, just a common or garden plodder.cheeky

Ian S C14/07/2019 11:32:11
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Bit OT, anything refering to gentlemen reminds me of a famous speech to the military at the beginning of WW2 by a certain RAF Air Vice Marshal sent by London to set up our Air Force for war. He started the speech "men and boys of the army and navy, and gentle men of the air force". I think that is all of the speech that was remembered by anyone, and it caused a major rift in the forces for a number of years, here maybe more back then all were/are concidered equal, in fact NZ servicemen during the war ,when serving in UK often got a bit of stick, as the men and officers were sometimes a bit too "friendly".

On here there is no "class", in general you don't know who your talking to, and that's good(well that's how I see it).

Ian S C

Neil Wyatt14/07/2019 12:20:10
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I thought things had been reasonably civilised of late?

The mods have no objections to people using the 'report' button if they think a thread or post has crossed the line.

Former Member14/07/2019 13:45:09
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

SillyOldDuffer14/07/2019 13:54:49
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Ian S C on 14/07/2019 11:32:11:

Bit OT, anything refering to gentlemen reminds me of a famous speech to the military at the beginning of WW2 by a certain RAF Air Vice Marshal sent by London to set up our Air Force for war. He started the speech "men and boys of the army and navy, and gentle men of the air force". I think that is all of the speech that was remembered by anyone, and it caused a major rift in the forces for a number of years, here maybe more back then all were/are concidered equal, in fact NZ servicemen during the war ,when serving in UK often got a bit of stick, as the men and officers were sometimes a bit too "friendly".

Ian S C

That's a running joke to this day in the UK. The military are found of pointing out that on deployment:

• the Navy sleep in a steel box with only a sheet of tin between them and a watery grave.
  • the Army sleep in a muddy trench while the enemy tries to kill them
  • the RAF sleep in a Five Star Hotel near the airport.

'Gentlemen' doesn't signify class to me: it's a polite form of 'chap' and is most seen on public toilets. Martin was correct to exclude the ladies from his complaint; they never offend on the forum!

Dave

Pete White14/07/2019 13:58:46
223 forum posts
16 photos

It may be the heat getting to some peoplesmiley

I have "seen" some of this recently. Play nicely boys, say nothing if you have nothing nice to say, is a fair starting point.

Edited By Pete White on 14/07/2019 13:59:15

JasonB14/07/2019 14:01:15
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I must have been looking at at different thread to Neil

Former Member14/07/2019 14:06:54
1329 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Cornish Jack14/07/2019 14:11:46
1228 forum posts
172 photos

"the RAF sleep in a Five Star Hotel near the airport. "

I wish!!

First tour 2 years plus in Aden 110+ in the shade, NO aircon, first 8 weeks' accommodation a bed 3 'biscuits' and a bedside locker on an open veranda! En route intended night-stop Castel Benito, concrete slab with straw palliasse, hessian covered in converted stables. Even we drew the line at that and continued to destination - bed-to-bed 52 hours. ... and so on. Oh the silk sheet luxury of it all!!sad

rgds

Bill

Brian Sweeting14/07/2019 15:36:33
453 forum posts
1 photos

I think it is difficult to be non-offending to everyone due to the nature of us all.

In the recent past I have been politely told off for a reply I posted which was, in hindsight, deserved.

At the time of posting I had come from a different forum which sometimes needs a lot of tongue biting so had my sarcastic head on. This of course was not needed here but until it is pointed out I was oblivious too.

Writing in public I believe requires the same rules as cutting something - measure twice, cut once or type it, read it, digest it and if you're happy with it, then post it.

Brian

Howard Lewis14/07/2019 16:54:29
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Some folk will take offence at anything, because they WANT to be offended, even by the most innocuous comment. Why be difficult when, with a little effort, you can be impossible?

OK, be careful that what we write cannot be taken the wrong way, but you won't please all the people all the time.

In my book, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Any fool can spoil another's day. when we should be trying to improve things for those around us, if only in a small way.

There is a whinging woman who writes a page in the magazine of a Sunday paper, here in UK. It is full of her "I am hard done by. Everyone has a better time than me. The world is against me" drivel, as she describes her very upmarket clothes and life style. She is a sad person!

How she would cope in the world that my wife and I inhabit, I cannot imagine. We are so grateful for what we have and to be better in health than so many around us.

Howard

john brown 1714/07/2019 18:23:07
135 forum posts
3 photos

Well all l say is that being new to the forum, every one has been great ,l needed some help and pointing out to me the best way to go,and to be honest they went out of there way to help me,and reading a lot of back threads etc l did not find any bad or rude ones,at the end of the day l am me l do not care if people have nice new machines etc good luck to them ,l am happy with what l have,life is to short to worry about what people are saying.

john

Mike Poole14/07/2019 18:52:19
3676 forum posts
82 photos

I think gentleman defines a man who is well mannered, considerate and conducts himself properly, to me this has nothing to do with class, background or wealth, any man can be a gentleman.

Mike

David Standing 114/07/2019 19:03:47
1297 forum posts
50 photos

Compared to most of the forums I use, this is pretty civilised.

And lets not even mention Facebook......surprise

The only acronym I can recall being used recently is IIRC, and a misspelling of that corrected by someone else.

There's always the option to simply move on to the next topic smiley

Pete Rimmer14/07/2019 19:46:17
1486 forum posts
105 photos
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 14/07/2019 15:36:33:

I think it is difficult to be non-offending to everyone due to the nature of us all.

Brian

Only because so many see offence where none is given. If a person's comments are not delivered in a manner designed to give offence, they should not worry about it being given unintentionally.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 14/07/2019 19:46:55

vintage engineer14/07/2019 20:13:03
293 forum posts
1 photos

A Gentleman is the youngest son of the youngest son of a Peer of the Realm.

V8Eng14/07/2019 20:14:17
1826 forum posts
1 photos

There is of course the term ‘Gentlewoman’.

Anyway in these modern times perhaps the term ‘fellow people’ should be used?

I have noticed in life generally there are a surprising quantity of people willing to take offence on behalf of others.

Edited By V8Eng on 14/07/2019 20:16:05

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate