By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Rimmer

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Rimmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Best way of moving milling machine
04/10/2023 06:40:30

500kg is easy pallet truck weight. If you're using 2 sheets of ply either get a piece of metal to bridge the gap and stop the small wheels from going through or over-lap the edges a few inches so the one you're one lays over the one you're going onto. Ply sheets are plenty long enough so that you can stopin the middle of a sheet and bring the second one around to tuck under the edge of the first to carry on.

Ideally you'll have 2 people, one on the truck handle and one to steady the load and provide some extra push.

Thread: Quick release indicator holder
01/10/2023 11:33:03

A very handy tool, so long as it doesn't magnetise the spindle. If it does you'll have to be very careful when changing tools not to trap swarf that's stuck to the taper.

Thread: Levelling my lathe - a build log
29/09/2023 18:03:40

How are you using this level Iain? Your readings don't make much sense. If you're placing it on the carriage and winding it up and down you are not measuring bed twist, you're measuring the relative angle of the carriage. This can be hugely affcted by wear in the bed and even more in the uderside ways of the saddle (since they will be worn much more than the actual bed ways).

If your goal is to 'level' the bed i.e. remove twist - put the level on the bed. Once you have the bedway levelled if placing the level on the carriage yields different results then you have a separate issue to correct, but at least you will be correcting it towards your baseline measurement (i.e. a bed that is properly aligned) not trying to interpret readings that are affected by several different factors.

Thread: Speedo gear size
29/09/2023 16:36:41

Looking further into this is seems that the 6- and 7-tooth reference to the drive worm is actually 'starts', as in 6-start worm and 7-start worm etc. This makes any figuring-out far too complicated without parts to measure as the number of starts and tooth size affect the helix angle.

Given the above if I were faced with this issue would knock up a simple 5/4 reuduction gearbox for the cable. and use that to alter the speedo reading.

29/09/2023 00:21:49
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 28/09/2023 21:22:01:
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 28/09/2023 21:14:31:

[…]

And back to part of my original question:-

How could you fit different sized gears without changing their centres.

[…]

I presume your post crossed with Noel’s

The pedantic answer being “you don’t … you do change their centres”

MichaelG.

The mating gear for the speedo is a worm so you could change the ratios whilst keeping the same centre distances simply by altering the worm pitch. A finer pitch on the worm would put more teeth on the gear and thus increase the ratio since one turn of the work advances the wormwheel one tooth.

As a matter of fact having a 5 tooth worm instead of a 6 tooth worm (the only two options from the vendor linked above) would make the speedo read 6/5 high giving a 96kph speedo reading at 80kph GPS reading, very close to what the OP reports as his error.

Thread: Colchester Chipmaster
28/09/2023 08:04:03

Lathes are full of random tapped holes, have you checked out your cross slide I bet it also has a good few holes drilled and tapped and plugged with grub screws.

Have a look here for manuals and brochures. It might not answer yuor question but it'll give you a lot of good info about the chippy.

https://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t1576-colchester-chipmaster

Thread: Beavermill Runout
22/09/2023 22:38:05

Make adjustments to elimnate the vertical spindle movement and you'll probably find that the radial runout also disappears. Start by adjusting it down to a thou or so and then check the radial.

19/09/2023 20:04:32

Yes that is 'country mile' in terms of spindle runout.

Put a tool in the spindle taper, set the dial gauge against the outside and use your hand to pull the spindle about, see if the effort you put in is reflected in the dial gauge reading. Repeat by heaving on the top of the spindle, it might simply be that the top support bearing is bad.

Edited By JasonB on 20/09/2023 08:44:43

Thread: Play in new arbour for mill
17/09/2023 19:09:48

0.09mm TIR is miles more than you should see in any mill spindle. Don't measure it on the outside, do it on the taper and do it at low speed.

Have you inspected the taper for embedded debris or burrs on the edge? Try roatating the head so that you can get a good view of it.

17/09/2023 11:47:48
Posted by Martin Connelly on 17/09/2023 08:16:57:

The new arbour has probably got centre holes at each end. Is there any way for you to set it up between centres, such as in a lathe, and check if it is bent? I ask this as the usual reason for changing arbors when I was at work is because someone swung a large radial drill around and clouted a vice with a drill chuck. The neck of the arbor was the weak spot that bent as a result. I would assume a new arbor without any obvious bruising is not going to be bent and that the spindle is likely the source of your runout, especially since you have tried different positions and got the same result.

The other thing to do is when you measure the runout on the end of the arbor mark the high spot on the arbor and the spindle Then see if it moves with the arbor when the arbor is tried in a different position or stays in the same place on the spindle.

Martin C

This is what I would do first. Turn a centre in your lathe chuck and then put the new arbor between that and the tailstock centre. Put a dial gauge on the wide part of the taper and turn it by hand between the centres. If there is runout the part is bad, if none then the spindle needs looking at.

Thread: Levelling my lathe - a build log
16/09/2023 18:05:12
Posted by Dave Halford on 16/09/2023 11:48:34:
Posted by Iain Downs on 16/09/2023 11:01:22:

N short the bed appears to have a dogleg in it.

All of this (long) blurb ends up with a simple question... 'how can I fix this?'.

The base is probably reasonably flat (I don't really have the kit to test it over a long distance). The bed bolted down to it without any obvious stress implying the feet may already be planar.

If the bed was just twisted I would have expected to see the movement (change of diameter) in one direction not in two. So I can't see how shimming the feet will help - I could possibly twist out the deviation at the headstock end, but it would make the later deviation worse.

Help!

Iain

Ian,

I can't help thinking 'why didn't he put the whole lathe on the mill table if it's that big and check the bed with a dial gauge in the cutter holder in the first place'?

Is it the same when using the top slide with the carriage locked?

It's unlikely that any home-shop-sized milling machine is going to be accurate or rigid enough to properly measure even a small lathe bed for twist, even a Bridgeport. The tables bend too much when they travel because of the overhang switching sides. A sensitive level and parallels is going to give a good idea of how things are.

Thread: moving a 1250kg bridgeport clone
16/09/2023 14:13:31

Any floor that skates will rol over, will be just as suitable for pipe rollers and much less risky. I wouldn't bother much with a roller pry bar either, a normal prybar will be plenty god enough and you don't even need a full sized one. Just take plenty of packing/cribbing.

Is the V2000 really that much heavier than a Bridgy?

Thread: Advice on choosing a tool cutter/grinder
14/09/2023 10:29:04

The only thing I would advise when buying a Clarkson is look it over carful for wear as the main slide has scant protection from grinding grit and the iron it's cast from is soft. If its been used in unsympathetic hands then the wear can be significant.

12/09/2023 21:44:09

I've got an original Deckel S0 and it's usefulness is very narrowly focused. Yes you could grind the end lips of slot drills etc on it and yes it can be used for shrpening twist bits (with the drill sharpening attachment) but predominently it's used for grinding single lip/engraving cutters. Mine I got for grinding broken 6mm carbide end mills into form tools for use on my lathe.

I also have a Mk1 Clarkson which is far more versatile but the accessories are expensive. They are not difficult to make though.

Edited By Pete Rimmer on 12/09/2023 21:45:30

Thread: Radford Worm-Wheel Hobber
12/09/2023 17:13:07

I'm struggling to figure out what exactly the query is but if you are asking about the difference between using a single-start worm and wheel and a 2-start worm and wheel of the same tooth count to turn the gear blank, the 2-start worm will drive the wheel twice as fast because of the doubled lead.

Therefore, if your single- start worm setup would yield a hobbed gear of 32 teeth, the 2-start worm setup will yield a gear of 16 teeth.

Thread: Beavermill Mk2 - HELP - Missing Small Gear
03/09/2023 17:29:13

Where are you Antony? I can make that gear but I have no idea if it's been made long-addendum so having the parts to offer up would be beneficial

Thread: Machinery Handbook
30/08/2023 18:23:51

I have hardback 13th edition and PDF 30th edition and the one great advantage of the PDF edition is that it's searchable.

I keep meaning to buy a copy of "Engineer's black book" but they do two versions - inch and metric, and I don't know what the differences are so can't figure which to choose.

Thread: Gear Wheels
27/08/2023 08:33:35
Posted by Paul Kemp on 25/08/2023 18:07:17:

With gear cutting I “waste” a bit of time on the set up by scribing a line on the blank at the centre of every gash using a scribing block on the mill table and doing a full rotation. Allows a very easy verification on each index. Probably only valid for my type of big chunky gears but when cutting a large gear over multiple sessions it provides reassurance everything is still in the right place! Takes a little longer but still quicker than doing it again when it goes wrong!

Paul.

For large tooth-count gears I set up a pointer to align a previously-cut tooth, and it has saved me from indexing errors several times. It's quite sickening cutting the final tooth gap and discoveing that the last tooth is either too thin or too fat.

Thread: Brake line junction block.
26/08/2023 17:08:40

You'll find more bikes on the road with banjo brake lines than not, by a huge majority. I'm sure that the only bikes I have owned that didn't have them were cable- and rod-operated brakes.

Thread: Achieving a long-term quality finish on brass?
24/08/2023 21:46:14

Paint it

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate