By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Wyatt

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Wyatt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I've borrowed a Anycubic Mega S 3D printer, best CAD program?
04/10/2023 20:34:26
Posted by Ady1 on 04/10/2023 19:55:01:

You still got your action man stuff?

My brothers inherited mine, many fun hours spent with action man

Bagful here, all became my little brothers...

N.

04/10/2023 19:08:45

To modify STLs you can use Blender. I find it VERY hard to use for all but basic operations, but people do amazing things with it.

I've discovered scanning, and found that if I need 'crew members' I can dress up a 1970s Action Man (with gripping hands, realistic hair and eagle eyes, no less!), pose him, scan him and print out a smaller version.

Look out for more details in a future MEW!

Here's a teaser - this is a 3D scan not a photo, it can be rotated in three dimensions. It even captured his flat-ended nose (as a result of an accident forty-odd years ago).

Neil

action man.jpg

Thread: How long for Humbrol clear model varnish to cure and apply decals?
04/10/2023 13:10:23
Posted by Simon Robinson 4 on 04/10/2023 12:59:48:

It’s an acrylic water based varnish.

Crossed in the post!

It should dry fairly fast, I would normally leave acrylic a day before applying decals, just to be on the safe side.

Neil

04/10/2023 13:07:16

This is what Humbrol say:

Enamels: Gloss: 1-2 hours. Matt & Satin: 20-40 mins touch dry, up to 24 hours for hard dry. Metallics: hard dry in approx. 10 days. Recoat: 6 hours minimum.

Acrylics: 1-2 hours ‘hard dry’, allow longer for Gloss and Metallic finishes.

uk.humbrol.com/support-and-advice/advice/humbrol-product-guide

04/10/2023 12:55:34

Is this acrylic or enamel?

From experience, the enamel is slow drying and wants a lot longer tha 30 minutes between coats, or it could take several days to cure.

Acrylic should dry a lot faster.

Neil;

Thread: Editing Placed Advertisement?
03/10/2023 21:13:55

Well done John!

Thread: Small (20mm 10mm bore pulley) - source of?
03/10/2023 19:35:16

I was going to suggest drilling a hole in a bit of bar and using a round file while it spins on the motor to make a groove in a temporary pulley.

If there's a bigger pulley on the lathe to keep the belt aligned, you could just build up the motor shaft with masking tape, this would work well enough to make a pulley.

Neil

Thread: Dedicated Search Engine
03/10/2023 11:32:39

I haven't ever come across anything better than Google site search.

It works better than the built-in site searches for Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes and Toolstation for a start! Where would DIY be without Google?

Neil

Thread: Approximate cost of filament?
03/10/2023 11:27:38

For economy filament I would recommend Sunlu, and pay rather less than £20 for 1kg of PLA +

I seriously recommend PLA+ over standard PLA.

There are plenty of good brands out there at reasonable prices, and truly 'bad filament' is a rarity these days.

For 'tip top' results pay the extra for the big name brands, but the improvements are marginal if your printer is well set up.

If your printer isn't well dialled in, cheaper filament seems more likely to result in clogs, missed layers, stringing or poor adhesion.

Neil

Thread: Lift to MMEX from York area 13 October
02/10/2023 11:47:39

Is anyone from the York area travelling to and from the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition on the 13 October?

If you are and might be able to give a fellow reader a lift each way, please drop me an email at [email protected]

Many thanks,

Neil

Thread: 3D printing at MMEX in October 2023
28/09/2023 16:27:39

I'll be demonstrating the Halot Mage Pro resin printer and the K1 Max FFD printer at the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition, on the SMEE stand. There will be examples of successful prints and ones that went wrong over seven years or so of 3D printing!

I'll also be giving a talk about 3D printing on the Tuesday afternoon (and repeating on Friday afternoon, as we have lost a speaker).

Feel free to come along and ask me questions - I will try and have a note saying when I will be about on the stand.

To whet the appetite, this is the K1 Max printing a benchy (sped up!)

Neil

Thread: Average Energy Consumption
28/09/2023 14:56:55

If you have good insulation, it's worth considering the contributions other devices make to heating.

Even though my office doesn't have a cavity wall (it's in a 125-year-old house) the ~300 watts from my computer makes a useful contribution to keeping the room warm (and can be a pain in summer!)

Similarly, in my previous home a condensing tumble drier in the kitchen made a significant contribution to heating, so effectively you got to use the energy twice.

Thread: MEW subscription renewal cost
26/09/2023 21:54:01

The direct debits are recurring, open-ended purchases (although you can cancel renewal).

The 12 and 23 issue credit card purchases are non-recurring, so different products.

The only recurring credit card purchase is monthly, which is not available by DD.

There's no overlap between any of the various options that I can see.

Neil

Thread: Wrapping a swept profile around a cylinder in Alibre Atom
26/09/2023 21:46:28

Oops... should have read on...

Neil

26/09/2023 21:44:17
Posted by John Hinkley on 26/09/2023 10:59:30:

I am progressing albeit slowly with my design for a 5 - speed sequential gearbox and have got to the stage of trying to produce models for the gear selector drums, Now, here's my problem. I have sketched out the desired features for the selector forks to follow in 2D, by drawing a profile and using the sweep function. I cannot find a way to wrap the path around a cylinder so that the profile follows the desired pattern. Any ideas?

I've Googled and looked at the Atom forum but as soon as you type in "wrap" all it seems to come up with is to do with text.

I should add the I'm producing the resultant parts on my 3D printer which I'm slowly getting to grips with.

Here's what the design looks like so far :

gear clusters

John

You need to create an axis along the centre of the cylinder (or centre the cylinder on an existing axis) and revolve your shape around the axis.

Neil

Thread: Bolt or screw?
26/09/2023 21:41:07

There's no 'official' definition, just accepted usage, and as such it's always open to interpretation. You can always find a source that agrees with your personal definition and another that disagrees with it.

I used to feel it was that bolts hade a plain section, but nowadays I tend towards screw being simple fixings whilst bolts have a secondary role such as providing a location or closing an eye.

Neil

Thread: ChatGPT - need we worry?
25/09/2023 14:11:34

Interesting!

Neil (NotBot)

Thread: bizarre behaviour from spray can
25/09/2023 14:10:18

How odd - I had the same problem a week ago!

Utterly frustrating, I had to give up in the end as it was impossible to spray a good finish a few puffs at a time.

Neil

Thread: Steam rocket motorcycle update.
25/09/2023 10:51:51

Is there a press release anywhere?

Neil

Thread: Broken toolmakers clamp.
25/09/2023 10:48:30

What Tony says!

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate