By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: *Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*
05/10/2023 06:57:48
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/10/2023 21:58:20:

I did a Google search for “the modelling hub”

Seems like it is quite a popular choice of catch-phrase [or whatever the correct terminology might be]

MichaelG.

Similar to Billetdevil

04/10/2023 20:43:34

just sent you a PM Keith

04/10/2023 20:31:49
Posted by Ian P on 04/10/2023 20:23:45:

Why does it need,

3 instances of 'Forums'

I've raised this point a few times

3 instances of 'Subscribe'

I've also raised this point a few times, there were  8 instsnces at one time and thebuy single issues also took you to subscribe!

What are 'Features' (maybe its a lucky dip button!)

Same as the features this site has always had along the black bar but they are to include some newer content

'Gallery' Is that the signed-in members own pictures?'

Gallery is the new Albums though they are not needed to post images

Main? top banner shows 'Modelling Hub' which I dont recall seeing before, but the page is not clear whether its ME or the MEW).

It coves both as it does now hence the two titles just below Hub

I accept that the page is a 'Help' page, but in that case it should not really need all the other banners and stuff carried over.

No problem with your feedback and one of the reasons the Mods have been asking for more testing as you post shows the average user will feel the same as we do yet most seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 20:38:54

Thread: Downtime Reading
04/10/2023 19:29:09

Yes I've just seen that it is "Out" to soemone else, hope they return it!

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 19:29:26

04/10/2023 19:16:10

As you will no doubt be twiddling your thumbs in the armchair for the next few days the latest issue of ME prompted me to go looking for a very early issue.

I came across the whole 12 issues of volume 1 on archive dot org. You just need to register and then you can "borrow" the document. Quite a good read but the down side is I now have a few more items in the ever growing "future projects" folder.

Find it here

04/10/2023 19:12:49

Xenforo does seem quite good and a few forums I frequent use it, pitty they decided on something else crying

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 19:12:58

04/10/2023 15:48:42

Just sent you a message Gray.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
04/10/2023 10:10:00

Having now seen Nicks post and enlarged the image I can see the way the flanges face so you won't have a "pair" as you do with ploughing engines

04/10/2023 09:48:23
Posted by Ady1 on 04/10/2023 09:45:46:

I'll see you all on the other side

Now all hold hands, close your eyes, and concentrate very hard...

................Then Jump off the cliff

Thread: Wera hand-tools
04/10/2023 09:45:31

Other places selling them for £170 in VAT and delivery which makes them more affordable.

04/10/2023 09:14:17

As a bit of guidance for when you first get access to the new forum rather than rushing in and getting stuck can we ask that you please read the quite extensive "Help" section. This can be accessed from the green bar where I have circled below as well as a couple of other red buttons that will appear with "Help/FAQs" which takes you to the list shown below. You won't get the orange bar (that is for Mods) and the list of help items is a lot longer.

Not only will this help you get set up on the new forum but will help the long suffering Mods by saving us having to repeatedly answer basic questions that are covered on the help page. Remember some of your most active Moderators do it for Free and have limited time to spend on the forum so help us by helping yourselves. That way we can concentrate on sorting genuine questions and bug which are a higher priority. Also you will see I have set up some topics (new name for threads) for you to try things out and others for question sand comments try to use these rather than start a whole load of new topics that will be hard for the Mods to keep track of. These will be right at the top of the forum headings.

help me.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 09:18:57

04/10/2023 09:00:59

I've started a thread on MECH as a last chance for anyone unable to get into the new site to make contact.

I can also be found on MEM forum and less so on HMEM

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 09:01:13

Thread: Tramming your mill(/dril) head:A theoretical question-Idea came up
04/10/2023 07:03:03

Chris just try what I said either putting a 0.1mm feeler gauge under one edge of your come or now using the traditional way of swinging a DTI.

The first I don't expect you to notice a difference in the amount of movement of the co-ax indicator needle yet the cone will be at an angle.

The second will confirm if your cone is giving you the results you think.

Yes I have said it several times you can only average things out tram is usually spindle axis in relation to the table but head/knee axis and quill axis are unlikely to be the same, quill is hardest to check as there is movement in it and a very lightweight hobby machine may even flex a sthe quill handle is pulled down.

Video I did a few years ago spindle to table is good, head not bad and quill showing more deviation.

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2023 07:45:05

03/10/2023 20:42:13

If you have been active on the forum in the last 12 months you should have got an e-mail earlier today saying much the same as darrens Opening Post, check your spam or promotion sfolder sif you have not seen it, If not there then make sure you are using the same correct e-mail on the forum as you currently use to check your mail.

Thread: Small (20mm 10mm bore pulley) - source of?
03/10/2023 20:02:48

I think the usual rule of thumb for round belts is minimum pulley is 4 x belt diameter so you might want to think again about size

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
03/10/2023 19:36:40

There is a big clue in my post

03/10/2023 19:08:09

Max, you should get a good reading as it sounds like you ar eusing the edge of the bearing but Chris's method uses the side of his cone wich will make any error unreadable unles sit is massive, all he is doing is centering his spindle to the hole.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
03/10/2023 19:05:22

Well this will be the last adventure on this version of the forum.

A name plate that will be bent and then let into a recess on a cylindrical part to represent cast letters. They are raised and tapered though hard to tell if they are raise dor cut into the metal from the photo

denny name.jpg

Plate is 50mm x 32mm letters 3.5mm tall and stand 0.4mm out of the background. Apart from the contour cut around the edge all was done with a 60deg engraving cutter with 0.3mm end width, 0.15mm stepover running at 5000rpm and a feed of 200mm/min. I left it running while I went out to do other things as the run time was just short of 4 hours to get through the 83,000 lines of code.

The machining marks that are just visible on the background cannot be felt and will have disappeared by the time I have silver soldere dit into place, cleaned things up and probably bead blastsed for good measuer.

Thread: Moderators Comments 10th Oct Testing
03/10/2023 18:49:47

03/10/2023 18:32:21

The digi boxes only display to 0.1deg as I have said if the mill is out by 0.1mm over 100mm which is very bad that is only 0.06deg so won't show on a digital angle box, As you are really looking for 0.01mm over 100mm or better than that is 0.006deg so no use using the digibox

A meaningful test of your taper method woul dbe to tram it using that then try it the conventional way of swinging a DTI acros sthe table and compare the two

Were you getting any back cutting from your cutter? have you trie dit left to right, right to left, front to back and back to front if it is truely in tram you should get the holographic cutting pattern snot a series of CCCC shapes

flycut.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate