Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Bench Grinder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Laden24/02/2019 07:53:13
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Any recommendations for a half decent bench grinder at a reasonable price.

The £30 ebay cheapie I have is rubbish and probably dangerous. Its out of balance and I,m sure its not the wheels, the rests are made of Baco foil. The real worry though is it gets hot after 10 minutes of running even when doing no work.

I mainly use it for tool grinding and once it gets hot it starts to slow down even with quite light work. Its labelled as 150 watts which I doubt so would prefer at least 250 watts.

I now dont like using it, fearing its either going to have a major failure or burst into flames.

Dalboy24/02/2019 09:01:30
1009 forum posts
305 photos

I use a record power 6" grinder mainly for sharpening my turning tools and have found it very good. They also do a 8" version.

This ONE

Paul Lousick24/02/2019 09:02:57
2276 forum posts
801 photos

All wheels should be dressed to eliminate out of balance vibrations.

150 watt is a bit small. I have a 375 watt Ryobi combination grinder with 150mm wheel and belt. Enough power for the wheel for sharpening tools but not enough for the belt. Would like to upgrade to something bigger. At least 500w for wheel and 1kW or bigger for belt grinder.

I recently viewed a serious DIY belt grinder on Youtube made from left over materials in the workshop. An a well equiped workshop.

Paul.

**LINK**

John Haine24/02/2019 09:06:57
5563 forum posts
322 photos

I have 2 ELU grinders, can recommend them.

John Rudd24/02/2019 09:19:16
1479 forum posts
1 photos

Wickes sell an own brand which I have turned into a t n c grinder with HH's rest....grinder was £40 iirc..

Peter G. Shaw24/02/2019 09:20:57
1531 forum posts
44 photos

Ron,

My grinder is a Clarke 5" 150W model. The first one that I bought got very hot fairly quickly so I returned it under warranty. The replacement also became very hot. That was 30 years ago, and it still gets hot. As a result, if doing a lot of grinding, I keep touching the casing and when it gets almost too hot to hold is when I switch off and allow it to cool down.

The reason why it gets hot is because these models do not have a fan in them to blow air through the motor.

I do agree though that 150W is on the low side, but with care, I find it adequate. One advantage is that it is difficult to overgrind since the motor simply stalls.

Regards,

Peter G. Shaw

Vic24/02/2019 10:08:44
3453 forum posts
23 photos

For what it’s worth I rarely use my bench grinder any more, I sharpen virtually all my tools on a belt sander.

Russell Eberhardt24/02/2019 10:18:10
2785 forum posts
87 photos

Old motors ran cool because the insulation available for the winding wire wouldn't stand high temperatures. Modern winding wire can stand higher temperatures so motors are designed taking advantage of that fact. Thus they are smaller and cheaper for a given power.

My old 1/4 hp grinder has a big, heavy motor and never gets more than slightly warm. The small cheapo grinder that I use with cup wheels and HH rest does get hot but has lasted for over 12 years so far.

Russell

not done it yet24/02/2019 13:13:17
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Guessing here that any machine with less than a 100% duty cycle should be marked as such, these days?

Bazyle24/02/2019 13:43:30
6956 forum posts
229 photos

recent thread on grinders.

The one that thread started with is still available at £40. We are getting one for the men's shed as nobody has given us one yet.

All grinders come with thin tin rests so no point in complaining about it. Again several threads have covered the simple block of wood rest so no need to make an over elaborate precision sharpening system to start with.

Nick Wheeler24/02/2019 13:48:42
1227 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 24/02/2019 13:43:30:

recent thread on grinders.

The one that thread started with is still available at £40. We are getting one for the men's shed as nobody has given us one yet.

I've had one of those for a couple of years, and although I don't use it heavily it is a decent tool: runs smoothly and quietly, effortly removes material, and takes ages to run down. What more do can you ask for just £40?

Ron Laden24/02/2019 15:47:56
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Thanks for the suggestions guys, having spent quite some time looking at no end of grinders I have gone with the Axminster Tools Craft one pictured below.

£65 including delivery which suited my pocket, 150mm, 250 watt, if the picture is anything to go by it looks well made, so hopefully it will be and give good long service.

Thanks again.

Ron

105242_xl.jpg

ega24/02/2019 17:06:15
2805 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 24/02/2019 15:47:56:

... it looks well made, so hopefully it will be and give good long service. ...

Amen to that but for many purposes you will want to replace the standard bent metal rests.

Hollowpoint24/02/2019 20:32:17
550 forum posts
77 photos

Clarke do a heavy duty range of grinders which are good. I have a 6" 250w which I have abused for years, its still going strong. Doesn't get too hot either.

This One

Edited By Hollowpoint on 24/02/2019 20:33:17

Mick B124/02/2019 22:06:50
2444 forum posts
139 photos

I've got a cheapie 150W that I got from B&Q maybe 15 years ago, replacing a similar one I'd also had for about 15 years. It does the job for me, I use it several times in any week, and some of my tools have some detail to their shapes. I dress it regularly with a cheap diamond. When the wheels get too worn, I'll dump it and buy another.

Colin Heseltine25/02/2019 19:47:29
744 forum posts
375 photos

I have Wolf 6" bench grinder bought around 45 years ago still going strong. Also have my Grandfathers grinder, cannot remember the name but it still runs silently and when switched off stays spinning for ages. Cant beat the old stuff.

Colin

Mike Poole25/02/2019 20:50:30
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Creusen won’t qualify for the reasonable price but I still fancy one, almost any grinder that is at the affordable end of the market is going to need better wheels, driving flanges and tool rests so they are not as cheap as they appear but can be the basis of a useful machine if the motor has decent power.

Mike

Chris Trice25/02/2019 20:52:03
1376 forum posts
10 photos

B&Q have the 150 watt cheapie one (available from practically everyone with their own label) for £20 under their European sounding Mac Allister brand.

Trevor Drabble25/02/2019 22:24:34
339 forum posts
7 photos

Mike , I have a Creusen 7200 , purchased MANY years ago from Axminster . I originally wanted the better model , but after a fruitful discussion with the lady at Axminster , I settled in this one , and I have to say , she was exactly right in her comments , bless her . Plus , she saved me a significant amount of cash . The machine is mounted on Creusen's own angle stand , has obviously well out-lasted it's long guarantee , and still uses its original and we'll-used vibration free wheels , as well as still taking around 2 mins to come to a stop . It still starts and runs like a dream and barely slows under load .

Here , I must confess a bias . I generally believe you get what you pay for , and I have no regrets whatsoever with this purchase and consider it well worth every penny .

So Mike , if you can afford one , go for it . The quality remains long after the price has been forgotten .

Bill Phinn25/02/2019 22:47:18
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Trevor, Axminster seem to have ceased selling Creusens some time ago. Does anyone know the reason for this?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate