By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: *Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*
04/10/2023 10:30:43

Dave, you've missed out Option C: Just how bad can it get?

Thread: Wera hand-tools
04/10/2023 09:06:16

You write that as if they're really expensive. Anyone who has bought Snap-on tools knows better.

I only have a couple of Wera tools; the #2 Phillips screwdriver was worth every penny of the tenner I paid, when depanelling aeroplanes.

04/10/2023 08:58:02

You write that as if they're really expensive. Anyone who has bought Snap-on tools knows better.

I only have a couple of Wera tools; the #2 Phillips screwdriver was worth every penny of the tenner I paid, when depanelling aeroplanes.

Thread: Upgrading from a Clarke CL300M, where to go?
30/09/2023 11:03:09
Posted by Ady1 on 30/09/2023 10:22:42:

If I was ever to upgrade I would lean towards a big spindle bore

Some of the bigger hobby machines can do 38mm which is seriously useful

Yes, I'm surprised at how often a bigger bore would make a job much easier. A big bore and a convenient way to screwcut(proper gearbox or ELS) would be the requirements after deciding what size machine I want.

29/09/2023 23:35:29

Most of my work is for car parts, often in steel, so I found the CL300 limited in both size and material removal. I would have preferred a Craftsman or BH600, but it had to fit on a bench after being carried down some narrow cellar steps. That bench space was also limited, so I filled it with a WM250. I would have bought a 290 for the extra capacity if there was space for it.

The lathe immediately improved my productivity and work quality - parting-off under power is just one step forward. Things I like; the large for its size spindle bore, decent work envelope, variable speed(I wouldn't buy a machine without), quick chuck changes and low noise. The not so good; thread cutting still means faffing about with change wheels, while the machine is reasonably well made the detail finish could be better(trivial for a tool really), and most of the fasteners used are made from an engineering grade of cheese reminiscent of British Leyland. That last is easily fixed for a couple of quid as they're basic metric. After about five years use, I had to make new change gear studs and loctite the tailstock spindle back in place. While that was apart I spent a few minutes with a scraper knocking down the couple of high spots, which make it much nicer to use.

I transferred the Myford size Dickson QCTP to the new machine, and fitted the ER32 collet chuck to an adapter delivered with the lathe. I then sold the CL300 with both 3&4 jaw chucks, centres, both steadies(I've still never used a travelling steady) and the metric thread conversion for what I had originally paid for the lathe.

Thread: 9/16 nut help!
24/09/2023 15:53:38
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/09/2023 15:22:38:

I’m even more lost now than I thought I was crying 2

MichaelG.

Me too.

If the available stud screws into the lathe, fits inside the tool post and projects from the top, then use a nut that fits the stud with a couple of washers to spread the load.

The post won't be centred on the stud which isn't ideal.

But you can now use the lathe to make a stepped washer that fits inside the bore of the post and you're done. M8 stud inside a 14mm bore - think that's what you have - gives plenty of space for this.

That's a couple of minutes work, but could be better; I would make a complete new nut with a permanently attached handle so the post can be loosened without the use of a spanner. Like this:

toolpost.jpg

That's how the Myford size Dickson toolpost is fitted to my WM250

Thread: U Tube
21/09/2023 13:30:32

Delivery is important for any presentation. Don't be the presenter that kills all interest in the subject just by opening their mouth.

The only place for showing every cut on a piece of stock is for the I've just a bought a brand new lathe and have never even seen one before market. Every body else knows it's tedious standing in front of a machine twiddling handles to make a piece of material smaller. Watching somebody else do it is torture, unless there's something important about it - a new tool, better workholding, why using/not using power feed is important etc. Images that aren't clearly lit and in focus don't belong in your video. And put the camera on a rigid stand.

Think about what you're going to say before you even touch the camera. Have a list of the points you want to make so you don't repeat or yourself, ummm and aaah all the time. If your piece is complicated then write a script, and do a voice over. Do a voice over for all your action shots, so you can be understood.

Gimmicks are what make the best most watchable You-tubers. The viewers decide what is a good gimmick, NOT you! And the 45 second montage, with your cousin's granddaughter killing a violin over top, that you put at the start of each film? Delete it, along with the lists of your subscribers, donors and begging requests for new ones.

Thread: Following from grammar in the MEW 332 thread.....
21/09/2023 11:02:53
Posted by Andrew Skinner on 21/09/2023 09:57:01:
Posted by Ian P on 20/09/2023 20:13:02:

Measuring instrument storage (same as measuring anything else)

”Measuring” is a gerundive, adjectival to “instrument”.

A hyphen would eliminate any potential confusion. Although I'm not sure why anyone would want to measure instrument-storage....

Thread: MEW 332
20/09/2023 10:13:57
Posted by Tony Jeffree on 20/09/2023 08:28:19:

...or Jameses cafe (as in "keeping up with the Joneses" )

Joneses in that phrase is a plural, not possessive.

19/09/2023 17:41:27
Posted by Bazyle on 19/09/2023 15:25:58:

I know a bloke named James who has a cafe. Is it "James cafe" or "James's cafe" ?

The first sort of sounds better but I think the second is technically correct. This is a real issue at the moment as the " 's" is 18 inches high and someone has asked for it to be removed.

It could be James' or James's depending on what you would say. The apostrophe is necessary.

19/09/2023 12:54:01
Posted by Tony Jeffree on 19/09/2023 10:42:04:

...and remember, any noun can be verbed...devil

What most of us find annoying is when there is a verb that already does that job. One that doesn't sound like it was made up by a drunk American middle-manager trying to sound clever.

Thread: Trying to identify a bird-feeder thread.
19/09/2023 09:42:00
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/09/2023 23:31:48:

If someone produces a table of bird feeder threads and other useful standards like watering can rose tapers, outside tap connector threads (there are at least three) and pea netting mesh sizes, we could produce a pull out for MEW.

Neil

Is pull out a suitable phrase when talking about threads?

Thread: Measuring instrument storage.
18/09/2023 18:29:30

Traditional mechanics metal tool cabinets work for me.

The Halfords Professional are good value, and are available in several styles. The Industrial ones are better still, but probably aren't necessary for your needs.

Thread: MEW 332
17/09/2023 12:52:49
Posted by Mark Rand on 17/09/2023 12:15:00:

I think I must be getting old before my time (at 65 probably just getting old!).

I get more and more irritated with changes to English as she were spoken a few decades back. Don't get me started on the (lack of) quality of proof reading on the BBC's web sites and news scripts. angry

When a language is used daily by millions of people, then changes are inevitable. English has always been a bizarre mongrel, so many of those changes will make about as much sense as commonly accepted spelling. Fighting them is a waste of effort.

The lack of proof reading in publishing is nothing to do with linguistics but is purely down to business practice.

17/09/2023 12:00:46
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/09/2023 08:46:03:

Meanwhile … I am still struggling with the concept of a humble Nazi

dont know

MichaelG.

Well, he did spell grammar correctly and capitalise Nazi......

17/09/2023 08:08:49
Posted by Ady1 on 17/09/2023 00:48:41:

I prefer the American radiuzez

Radiusiastionsdisgust

Thread: Runout on a collet chuck?
15/09/2023 22:45:27

Pete is partly right about using ER collets for workholding because they were already bought for holding cutters.

For me, the availability of hex and square collet blocks is a major reason for fitting the collect chuck to the lathe. Their use makes creating various flats, cross holes and the like much simpler.

Thread: Myford ML 7 Top Slide
15/09/2023 22:39:35

Make a new stud that's a tight fit in the counter bore, and drill a new hole for the anti-rotation pin. That could be a cap head screw.

Or you could move into the twentieth century and loctite the new stud in place.

You don't need the ratchet for the toolpost.

Edited By Nick Wheeler on 15/09/2023 22:40:26

Thread: Latest ME, ELS Article
13/09/2023 10:09:16
Posted by Simon0362 on 13/09/2023 09:37:23:
Posted by Stephen Ward 1 on 13/09/2023 09:33:23:

The beauty for me of a ELS conversion is that it simply provides an alternative to messing around with gearboxes and change wheels. Prior to it I rarely cut threads on my lathe because I couldn't be bothered setting it up to do them and then having to switch back to get the fine feed again.

+1.....

+2

We already have spindle speed control from twisting a knob, and electronic dividing so it's about time the carriage drive, whether for feed or screw cutting, was the same.

Thread: Lathe toolpost stud thread repair ideas
10/09/2023 18:30:27

It's to make the thread that wears out on an easily replaceable, consumable part. Wouldn't you rather buy a new stud than make the repair you now have to do?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate