By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mick B1

Here is a list of all the postings Mick B1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What is EN58 used for?
01/10/2023 17:51:11

I have seen it specified as material on a drawing for a revolver cylinder in .38 Special/.357 Magnum calibre. I think it was EN58M or AM, and there my have been alternative specs also listed. This was probably 40+ years ago.

I can remember feeling rather surprised at the time.

Edited By Mick B1 on 01/10/2023 17:53:06

Thread: lidl tools 28/09/23
30/09/2023 19:05:08

I bought one today and think it's a decent tool, fit for use within its limitations. As it came, using the thimble ratchet closed it about half a line-thickness below zero, but the supplied C-spanner resolved that with a bit of careful fidgeting.

When I used it on a bit of ground 10mm silver steel it showed an estimated 1.3 divisions below nominal, while my 47-year-old Mitutoyo Imperial tenths mic showed 0.3933", so maybe a tenth discrepancy there - but I think the friction thimble of the Mitutoyo slips at slightly less torque than the Parkside ratchet. But we're in quite tricky territory here for non-metrology-lab stuff.

I'm sure the thing is good enough for the huge majority of rational engineering work, model or otherwise.

Thread: MEW 332
19/09/2023 16:37:37
Posted by JasonB on 17/09/2023 06:59:36:

But on the other hand lets encourage people to send in articles otherwise you won't have content to complain aboutdevil

Well actually you will as there will be moans about Neil using old articles to bulk out the content.

I'm happy with either and know what is meant, maybe it's because I'm a bit common and never went to a posh school where Latin was a subjectsmile p

Edited By JasonB on 17/09/2023 07:29:41

Unfortunately posh English schools were configured to turn out military and civil officers to administer an empire that was disintegrating even 60 years ago. They made a point of propagating formal linguistic skills and avoiding any practical skills involving the manipulation of materials.

It took a lot of time and effort to reverse that with the autodidaction bit.

Thread: turning a large diameter
05/09/2023 14:13:11

You could try trepanning it out of a piece of flat bar - that's what I did with the traverse truck for a model carronade I was making:-

CarronadeTruckBrkt.jpg

But the radius was far smaller than the one you're trying to do.

I'd reckon you'd gotta work on the biggest lathe, and do some o' the baddest things... wink

Thread: Achieving a long-term quality finish on brass?
25/08/2023 13:28:17
Posted by JasonB on 25/08/2023 06:54:11:

There are thinks like Rustins metal lacquer that protect the metal, Myself I just leave the metal bear as I'm nit a fan of excess bling

The metal lacquer works fine, so long as your brass is very clean and dry when you apply it.

Thread: Assembly diagrams - how are they done?
25/08/2023 08:51:49

Bills Of Materials predate CAD by a decade or so. They were used from the mid-1970s as the structural elements of Materials Requirements Planning (MRP) systems, later Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP II) systems. These latter would include Bills Of Resource with routing details for capacity planning.

Full explsions would be represented by Indented Bills, opening up each in-house-made component or subassembly progressively until the lowest-level bought-in raw materials or piece-parts were reached.

In 35 years working on these systems, I never saw a comprehensively good one - though I was involved in some useful improvements to a couple of 'em.

smiley

Thread: Warco WM250V : Tray Cleaning Questions
22/08/2023 16:56:55

I've also found it worth buying a dedicated (bagged) cylinder vacuum cleaner for cleaning off fine swarf. Mine was 40-odd quid from Argos, model no. VCB43B1-70, and it's powerful enough to pull oily swarf out of the crossslide T-slots and all the screw socket heads.

I give the lathe a going-over every time I become disgusted with the state of it... laugh

21/08/2023 18:50:29
Posted by DC31k on 21/08/2023 17:21:17:
Posted by Mick B1 on 21/08/2023 13:55:49:

I can screw an M20 x 1.5 thread several turns into the tray drain on my WM250V. If it was anything different I don't think I could do that.

If it is clearly a drain point, meant for coolant, the most likely thread is that used in conjunction with pipework, i.e. BSP.

M20 x 1.5 is a standard thread on electrical conduit, which generally is not used to carry liquids. That thread would be found on an electric motor, for a cable gland in the same way that a BSP thread would not be found on a motor.

M20 x 1.75 is extremely unlikly as 1.75mm pitch is not used anywhere in metric threads other than standard M12 coarse.

What I am saying is that the purpose of the thread can be a good pointer to its specification.

I don't disagree, and I know of the conduit application, but I can screw the M20 x 1,5 thread in 6 turns before it sticks, and the drain's position and its welded-on strainer make it practically impossible to tell whether the thread runs out or gets jammed with paint or crud at that point.

The only standard BSP thread that's *anywhere near* the same OD is 1/2", nearly 38 thou bigger and 14 TPI or ~1,8143 mm pitch. Can't see an M20 x 1,5 male thread fitting that even for 1 turn.

I've seen some evidence of variation in some parts used in lathes believed to be from the same factory. I don't know whether these are properly-documented Engineering Changes in these factories, or casual pragmatism to use up whatever they happen to have at the time.

21/08/2023 16:11:29
Posted by Paul Wirdnam on 21/08/2023 14:12:10:
Posted by Mick B1 on 21/08/2023 13:55:49:

Duh!

I never thought of a tray!

I use an old wooden ruler to scrape the swarf to where I can get it into a dustpan.

I can screw an M20 x 1.5 thread several turns into the tray drain on my WM250V. If it was anything different I don't think I could do that.

Thanks for the thread size. Do you use the drain?

I also have a tray at the headstock end of the bed, but brass goes everywhere!

No, putting in a sump, pump and plumbing is too much faffing for the work I do at home. If I ever need a metal removal rate that would justify it, I do it on machines in another workshop, where it's already installed.

In my home shop if dry cutting gets rough or too hot, I use a squirt or three of WD40, or some 'MultiSpec' cutting/tapping lube I got from Macc Models. Neither lubricant is perfect, but they're generally good enough to deliver a decent job.

21/08/2023 13:55:49

Duh!

I never thought of a tray!

I use an old wooden ruler to scrape the swarf to where I can get it into a dustpan.

Thread: Is a hammer on a surface plate worse than leaving a chuck key in?
21/08/2023 11:29:38

There are many opportunities for finger-wagging zealotry and imperious statements beginning "Never" and "Always".

Plus there are sometimes instructors or authoritarian deputies who take advantage of excuses to injure or humiliate learners.

The important thing is to get the learner to cultivate imagination of possible unintended consequences of actions or neglect.

The worst injury I ever suffered in my younger days was from finishing a part-off with a hacksaw when I'd left a knife tool in facing position in the toolpost. That took a few stitches and is the only time I've seen my own bone.

I wouldn't normally expect to see a hammer in close proximity to a proper surface plate - they don't generally have any business together - but there are far too many worse things to list.

Thread: Bright Mild Steel
17/08/2023 19:27:50
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 17/08/2023 18:33:33:

Thanks Guy's for replies Jason confirmed my thinking a couple of thou

H

That's always been my rule-of-thumb, more-or-less irrespective of nominal size up to maybe an inch or so. Don't have much experience of larger.

Thread: I need custard.
17/08/2023 09:57:23

Try Wikipedia with 'thermobaric weapon'. It's clear that this subject has been well understood by weapons engineers for a long while. Some have suggested it was a coaldust explosion, subsequent to the torpedo, that sank the Lusitania so disastrously in 1915.

I don't think custard powder is a preferred fuel.

15/08/2023 12:03:42
Posted by duncan webster on 15/08/2023 09:47:46:

A few years ago several workers were killed when a factory producing wood flour exploded, and lots of coal mine explosions were made a lot worse by coal dust, the dust being made airborne by an initial fired damp explosion. I've seen reports of grain silos going off as well, down to dust created by conveyors

In the early '70s I was labouring in the cutting room at Players' factory, moving bins of shredded tobacco leaf to the driers. There was usually a haze of tobacco dust hanging in the air. Dry tobacco burning as readily as it does, how it never blew up I don't know. Nor how I escaped any of the various lung diseases.

Thread: Quiet floor pads for lathe
15/08/2023 11:53:25

When we moved in in 2021, I put an offcut of the same heavy domestic we had fitted in the rest of the house by the garage wall and asked the removers to put the WM250V down on it.

Not a big lathe, and I generally cut light and slow, but I do a bit of milling, knurling and interrupted cutting on it, and the carpet works well enough to damp out such noise as there is.

Thread: making BLACK chess pieces
14/08/2023 11:28:29
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 14/08/2023 09:46:57:

Anthony, your fastenings chess set is utterly charming yes

Rod

It is indeed!! laugh

13/08/2023 22:11:54

You could go Victorian and have red instead of black. Then make the red pieces from phosphor-bronze and the white from alli.

Thread: I need custard.
13/08/2023 20:56:42
Posted by Rockingdodge on 13/08/2023 15:58:42:
Posted by JasonB on 13/08/2023 15:32:17:

If you can't eat bird's then you should try Ambrosia. This photo is of the Ambrosia plant that produces custard

ambrosia.jpg

Yes but only Gods are allowed to eat Ambrosia devillaugh

OK, but there must be a lot of 'em about, to need a factory like that - and they obviously shop in our Morrisons.

laugh

Thread: Gear head vs variable speed lathe
11/08/2023 20:48:03

The weaker torque at low speeds in the fast range on the WM250V has saved me a few broken tools that the Myford Speed 10 I used to have would've cheerfully crunched. The Warco just stalled, I retracted the tool, and carefully carried on.

In about 8 1/2 years, I've had no electric or electronic problems of any description.

Thread: Are All Our Heritage Industries being Outsourced now
10/08/2023 15:53:00
Posted by duncan webster on 10/08/2023 14:39:02:

At the risk of this getting political, what is the relevance of 1983?

All the facts defining the changes inherent in the title of this thread are political, and were made in pursuit of political goals - and whatever we might think of them, we all know that.

I'd best say no more.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate