By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Phinn

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Phinn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: *Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*
05/10/2023 03:53:46

Thanks for your reply, Pat.

Your comments have slightly mellowed my prejudice against likes; I can appreciate that people may want to give and receive them for a variety of reasons.

05/10/2023 00:45:08
Posted by PatJ on 05/10/2023 00:07:47:

Being about to use things like "Like" is great, because you get to connect with the folks reading, and can get verification that they like what you post.

Feedback is very nice on a forum.

But only if it’s positive feedback, in your view?

I can’t see myself using a “like” button if there is one, nor will I want one using on me. Leave such things, I say, to the people who haunt social media, for whom emotion routinely trumps rational discourse.

Thread: Wera hand-tools
04/10/2023 23:28:10
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/10/2023 20:50:20:

But RS and/or Werra are trying it on, and trying to take them up-market dont know

It's not just Wera products they're trying to make up market but unbranded, common or garden basics as well.

E.g.:

BZP grade 4.8 threaded rod, M12x1m: RS: £7.25; Zoro: £2.49

A4 threaded rod, M10x1m: RS: £20.17; Zoro: £6.49

A2 threaded rod, M5x1m: RS: £6.27; Zoro: £2.05

These examples were picked at random.

Maybe RS's threaded rods come very highly polished, or in presentation cases - or something.

04/10/2023 14:04:53

Some of those RS price-tags for Wera stuff are absurdly high.

Current prices:

Part no. 05018110001 - £155.74 at RS; £74.40 at Amazon.

Part no. 05075832001 - £510.78 at RS; £245.63 at Amazon.

Part no. 05075830001 - £454.14 at RS; £203.15 at Amazon.

Thread: Upgrading from a Clarke CL300M, where to go?
02/10/2023 22:44:49

I've got an AMABL210D with 38mm spindle bore and DRO.

I was aiming for a bigger lathe but don't currently have the time or space to accommodate it.

I'm pleased with its performance so far, though I've had little chance to test it thoroughly.

It has surprisingly good low speed torque, what appears to be a genuinely hardened bed, and a decent 125mm scroll chuck. It also comes with travelling and fixed steadies, MT5 adaptor, MT3 and MT2 dead centres et al. - things not mentioned in the lathe's sales blurb.

The 38mm spindle bore has already been useful.

It was well packaged and presented on arrival: no rust, no transit damage. Most things were already well adjusted too. Only issue so far was tailstock T nut, which was functional but somewhat crudely made. I made a new one.

Thread: LED Angel lights
30/09/2023 19:24:20

Yes, I've got one fitted around my Warco WM18 spindle.

TBH, I hardly use it because it sheds an unpleasant greenish light that isn't very bright anyway. I mostly just use the two anglepoise lights I have on the bench on either side of the machine.

Thread: ChatGPT - need we worry?
28/09/2023 01:37:40
Posted by blowlamp on 27/09/2023 23:36:42:

It's not a trick question. It's Artificial Intelligence, so it's supposed to know how washing lines work.

The good news is I suspect AI will soon understand the way clothes lines work, if it doesn’t already.

Seeking a little light relief from this thread, I stumbled across this recent interview. I found it very entertaining.

Reassuringly, it looks like the people in charge at Hanson Robotics are basically benign in the way they are developing their version of AI. I’m not too confident all other developers of AI around the world intend to follow suit.

27/09/2023 22:38:37
Posted by blowlamp on 27/09/2023 22:17:25:
it's clearly stated in the video...

But not, crucially, in the question.

There is simply not enough information in the protasis of the question for any circumspect and experienced answerer of riddles, trick questions, and just plain unsatisfactory questions like this one, to give a safe answer.

Don't take my word for it; there are clearly many people out there who view this question the same way.

27/09/2023 20:55:51
Posted by blowlamp on 27/09/2023 19:28:23:

There's no mention of the capacity of the support system used to dry the towels, so it doesn't form part of the question.

It should, nonetheless, be considered, by careful respondents at least, in forming an answer.

I would say the ChatGPT answer is not wrong. However, the reasoning it gives for its answer [screenshotted in the video] would not gain it much, if any, credit in an exam.

27/09/2023 02:35:35
Posted by Robin Graham on 27/09/2023 00:40:

Of course, I can adjust my vocabulary to better suit your preferences. If you have any specific phrases or language you'd like me to avoid or use, please let me know, and I'll do my best to communicate in a way that feels more genuine and comfortable for you. How would you like me to phrase things instead of "reach out" in this context?

Cripes. The conflation of 'genuine' and 'comfortable' makes me - erm - genuinely uncomfortable.

It's just word salad isn't it?

It comes across to me as both sycophantic and patronising in the same breath - a reflection of the attitudes of its human inventors towards people generally, perhaps.

Thread: Ctaract surgery - a few years on
26/09/2023 00:19:28
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 25/09/2023 08:43:43:

yes

For a bit of ‘light reading’ … it’s worth finding a copy of Huxley’s book: **LINK**

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Seeing

Published long before the internet was available … but full of the sort of misinformation that thrives !

MichaelG.

Thanks for the link, Michael!

A real eye-opener. Clearly not Huxley’s finest hour.

25/09/2023 02:43:56
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 25/09/2023 01:32:16:

How do you know I'm not an unconscious zombie, just acting my simulation of conscious thought pretty effectively?

Because we know zombies don’t exist, but belong to the realms of the supernatural.

If something contributing regularly to an internet forum appears intelligent and conscious but is not actually a human being, then it’s either an alien from outerspace or, far more probably, a lifeless creation of human ingenuity.

Thread: Ctaract surgery - a few years on
25/09/2023 00:49:29
Posted by John Doe 2 on 25/09/2023 00:02:57:

Like any muscle in the body; if we don't regularly use them or exercise them; they will weaken. Wearing glasses mean that the eye muscles don't need to do any work to focus on close (or distant) objects, so all the muscles used for focussing will weaken.

I exercised my spectacles-free eyes on close work (8 inches and less) virtually every day for nearly twenty years. Presbyopia struck nonetheless. To effectively see at all at close distances (anything under three feet) I now need about four pairs of different strength reading glasses (and or Optivisors) depending on the distance I’m working at.

It sounds like your own presbyopia is relatively mild if you can force your eyes to focus on everything but close-up, very tiny print.

I don't think there is much agreement or evidence that, once the rot has set in, exercising your eyes can significantly prevent them from losing their ability to focus on close work.

Thread: 9/16 nut help!
24/09/2023 19:57:40

It strikes me that Margaret is largely blameless in all of this, and the info given out by ARC is partly responsible for her confusion.

I've got a Model 000 toolpost from ARC, which came, as the ARC website suggests, with an M10x1.5mm stud. The page in that link meant to me that the stud supplied was threaded M10x1.5 at both ends, as indeed it is. As expected, it also came with a matching M10x1.5 flange nut for the top end. It fits my lathe fine with no adaptations needed.

Based on this experience of ARC's website's descriptions, if I were buying a Model 100 toolpost I would expect it to come with an M14x1.5mm (both ends) stud and matching nut. Perhaps owners of that toolpost could clarify that this is the case.

Finally, if I were buying a Model 111 toolpost, as Margaret apparently did, I would expect it to come with a 9/16" UNF (both ends) stud, as the link I posted earlier suggests. It seems, however that it too comes with an M14x1.5mm stud and nut, or at least something that is not 9/16" UNF. Perhaps an owner out there could again clarify this.

With the limited thread and diameter measuring capabilities Margaret has, she seems to have gone about things pretty logically. She knew firstly that she needed a stud with an M8 female end to thread on to her lathe's existing old toolpost stud. She then deduced, from Arc's description and the roughly 14mm diameter stud they supplied to her with the Model 111 toolpost, that the nut that came with ARC's toolpost would fit the stud she needed to buy (for its female 8mm thread on one end) from the LMS.

But it didn't, because the stud and the nut that are supplied with ARC's Model 111 toolpost are presumably M14 x 1.5, not 9/16" UNF, as stated, or at least strongly suggested (if my buying experience with the Model 000 is anything to go by) on ARC's site.

Have I got this right, everyone?

And is this a fair representation of how you got to where you are now, Margaret?

I should add that in one thing you are slightly to blame, Margaret: you have visibly marred the unthreaded surface of the LMS stud, presumably by tightening it into the hole with grips? Is this how you went about tightening down the LMS stud?

If so, when you buy your 9/16" UNF nut, buy at least two: you can then lock them together at the top of the stud and turn the top one to tighten the stud down and the bottom one to loosen it.

24/09/2023 15:28:39
Posted by JasonB on 24/09/2023 15:19:19:

Michael as my post above Ketan is saying they supply a stud of 9/16" dia shank, top is reduced and theraded M14 x 1.5, bottom is reduced to 12mm and threaded M12 coarse.

As the hole in teh toolpost is 9/16 you want a nice close fitting 9/16" shud shank for repeatability.

No Porkies being told

The source of confusion, I think, Jason is this page, where the clearance diameter of D is given as 14mm and then qualified, in brackets, with the words "9/16" UNF stud" .

23/09/2023 19:00:31
Posted by S K on 23/09/2023 18:04:20:

But in many if not most cases of written matter, the context is provided primarily by other words. And that context isn't just the words that are immediately being used, the point is that it includes the whole corpus of language.

I'm afraid I'm not quite clear what bearing this ultimately has on real-life situations such as those I've outlined above where the context for the meaning of a word or words isn't provided by further words, but by non-verbal or non-vocal components.

How successfully can AI currently deal with the non-verbal/vocal aspects of context? My impression is not very well at all. AI that is currently supposed to be able to detect sarcasm, for example, in written communications, apparently does so by looking at "Certain words in specific combinations [that] can be a predictable indicator of sarcasm". This way of proceeding would be hopeless at detecting sarcasm in the playground bully situation I set out above.

23/09/2023 17:22:57
Posted by S K on 23/09/2023 14:41:00:

Words only have meaning by those connections with other words

I'd say it's not necessarily the connection of words with other words that gives them meaning, but words with context.

When a swimmer is in trouble in the sea and only has enough breath to shout "Help!", or a blaze has started at an ammunition store and someone only has time to shout "Fire!", where are the other words here that you seem to be saying are necessary to provide meaning? The meaning of each of these single words in each of these cases is perfectly clear to any rational human being, thanks to the context, which is itself wholly non-verbal, in which they're uttered.

When a school bully knees a weaker boy in the groin, and the latter, grimacing, says sarcastically, "Thanks, I really appreciated that", how is it the connection between words here that gives the utterance its true meaning, and not the way in which, and the context in which, the words are spoken?

Thread: Broken toolmakers clamp.
23/09/2023 00:56:09
Posted by Martin Kyte on 22/09/2023 19:55:54:

There are a lot of ‘modern’ hobby targeted toolmakers clamps around of various levels of quality. Generally they all have course threads on the adjustment screws. This nearly always requires the application of a Tommy bar to achieve a reasonable level of grip which tends to lead to over tightening as anything to hand gets used as the bar. The old style clamps have fine threads which as well as leaving more meat on the clamp jaws allow a decent grip by finger tightening.

Interestingly, my 40-50 year old Eclipse clamps have M8 coarse threads, just as the modern unbranded counterparts I own have.

Given the only very slightly higher TPI of 5/16” BSF (which I assume is what older British made clamps of this size would have had) compared with M8 coarse, I suspect that the durability of these clamps has more to with build quality and manner of use than with the fineness of the thread pitch. The design of these clamps means that if the jaws are not kept at least close to parallel in use, the threads and clamp bodies can be subject to significant undesirable strain.

Personally, I couldn’t do without tommy bar holes on these sorts of knurled thumbscrew clamps, whatever the thread pitch. The same can be said for tap wrench handles.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 23/09/2023 01:01:37

Thread: Thumb screw
22/09/2023 14:08:16

Here’s an Unbrako knurled A2 skt head cap screw:

img_0150.jpeg

22/09/2023 11:43:50
Posted by Vic on 22/09/2023 11:34:40

I must have nearly a thousand cap head socket screws in M2.5, M3,M4, M5, M6 and M8 in stainless steel, some of them marked THE and none of them are knurled. I’ve actually never seen one before. I use mainly Kay’s, Boltbase and GWR. I should add that I generally only use Metric fasteners so perhaps that’s why?

All my stainless cap screws, whether knurled or smooth, are metric.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate