By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Hollowpoint

Here is a list of all the postings Hollowpoint has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Upgrading from a Clarke CL300M, where to go?
30/09/2023 05:31:07

Boxford aud

Thread: New workshop, advice required!
27/09/2023 18:35:20

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. The roof has been heavily damaged by ivy and I feel it is well beyond simple repairs. My plan is to remove the tiles, re-felt and fit a dry verge. The pictures below show the condition.

Picture 2Picture 3Picture 4Picture 1

27/09/2023 09:11:05
Posted by Mike Hurley on 27/09/2023 08:54:20:

Workshop insulation has been covered numerous times in the past, so a search may answer you questions, and possibly give you some pointers you hadn't eventhought of yet.

Posts like this Roof insulation

Thanks. I have read though lots of old posts and I have a general idea how to tackle most of the work. I still have many questions specific to me though.

27/09/2023 08:37:01

Hi guys, I have just moved into a new house which has a large double garage which I am going to use as a workshop. The space is great but unfortunately it needs way more work than I realized. (Thanks ivy)🙄 The garage is a single skin of red brick with a concrete tiled apex roof.

Before I fill it with tools and machinery I would like to redo the roof. I also want to insulate the ceiling and walls. The floor might need leveling too. I am not a builder so I have many questions, which I am hoping you guys can answer along the way! 😉

First questions -

which membrane/sarking would be best to use under the tiles?

How difficult is it to fit a velux type window?

Would 50mm of insulation with a 1 inch air gap be enough to keep the chill off?

Edited By Hollowpoint on 27/09/2023 08:38:19

Edited By Hollowpoint on 27/09/2023 09:01:18

Thread: Making a graver tool post
27/09/2023 08:17:46

That's nice matey. 👍 I would like to make one of those for my Cowells lathe.

Thread: Pre-Paint Degreasing
04/09/2023 22:13:34

I use isopropyl or thinners for cleaning. Thinners is better but the fumes are potent.

Thread: Runout on a collet chuck?
04/09/2023 09:08:29

I fitted a small Chinese collet chuck to my Cowells lathe. I made the backplate myself from scratch, making every effort to minimize runout I ended up with just under 0.02mm. I hoped for less but it's good enough for my needs.

Thread: Help! Excessive machine marks!
27/08/2023 12:01:57

I wouldn't have thought the t-nuts are a problem if they are tight.

However I would bet my life savings you have a rigidity problem somewhere.

27/08/2023 11:52:30

It might be your chuck!

I had a lathe with similar problems and it took me forever to pin down the problem! In old lathes you sometimes get a problem where the jaws are worn leading to the part not being held properly, this is commonly referred to as "bell mouthed jaws". Now your lathe doesn't appear to be old, and neither was mine. Unfortunately it seems some of the Chinese chucks suffer from poor quality control.

Remove the chuck from the lathe and clamp a piece of round bar in it. Hold the chuck up to the light and look through the back opening. If you can see any slivers of light between the jaws and the bar you have problems.

Another test is to clamp a piece of round bar stock in the chuck and run a dial indicator over it, then push on the bar stock to see if there is significant movement.

Thread: Hobbymat Universal Lathe and Milling Machine.
29/07/2023 18:58:47

They seem to fetch around £500-600 on ebay for an average one with the milling head. Expect a bit more if yours is basically unused. 🙂

Thread: Off the shelf stand for Armadeal CJ18A mini lathe.
14/07/2023 08:40:13

THIS should fit. 🙂

Thread: Small Milling Machines
28/06/2023 14:28:45

Raglan

Dore Westbury

Tom Senior E type

Hobbymat BFE 65

Thread: Unimat 3 saddle gibs
10/06/2023 10:22:48
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 10/06/2023 10:10:45:

That the Unimat uses Fibre-glass gibs is a new one on me! I don't know why they would do that. Is it something clever like PTFE rather than ordinary fibre-glass?

I have a U3, I think they are nylon, they are a bit stiffer than I would expect from bog standard nylon so perhaps some kind of fibre reinforced nylon? I've seen the same stuff used in RC cars and gears.

10/06/2023 07:50:35

I would use brass, I don't know how to explain, but aluminium can be a bit "gummy" when used in such a way. The surface of the metal being so soft that it can sort of smush and foul up. Probably depends on grade.

They aren't complex parts so why not make and try both? Or if you are feeling a bit more experimental you could try an idea I had a while ago of using ball bearings. The idea being you could then tighten the "gibs" almost as much as you want without causing too much friction.

Thread: Dore Westbury mk2 alternative
08/06/2023 09:25:23

How about a Hobbymat milling machine? About the same price, size and weight (probably) of a Dore Westbury.

Thread: What are these?
01/06/2023 22:04:33

I think you might be right. For that type of boring head or line boring. Thanks.

Thread: First workshop
17/05/2023 08:18:24

Since your workshop has a small footprint my advice would be to use your vertical space well. Don't be tempted to make a shadow board for example, that meter of space will only hold the contents of a small tool box which is wasteful. In the same space you could have 3-4 bisley style cabinets with several layers of draws which will hold hundreds of items. Think of your space as a kitchen, work surfaces, draws and cupboards. 🙂

Thread: Replacement lathes. Recommendations?
07/05/2023 16:00:29

I have to say I am a bit perplexed. You are all entitled to your opinions but personally I would like to see my taxes spent on British products.

And we wonder why all our industry has disappeared. 🙄

06/05/2023 22:41:40
Posted by Chris Crew on 06/05/2023 15:25:28:

You know it really niggles me when people talk of Chinese products bring 'crap'. Of course they aren't, our households would not function without Chinese products which do exactly what they say on the tin. How old is your service engineer? I would bet he is getting on in years and eaten away with resentment that the British machine tool industry now barely exists, and what is left merely assembles Chinese parts and hopes that by condemning the products damage will be done to the importers who he will subconsciously believe have brought about this situation. I don't have a Warco or Axminster machine but if I were to be starting again it would be an absolute no brainer as to what I would purchase, not only because there would be no British machine available within my price range but because even if there was Myford is a very dated design and leaves a great deal to be desired and is not suitable for educational purposes, IMO. BTW, I have a Myford 7R and if it were possible I would take it with me with the rest of my grave goods just like the other old warriors, but I would never buy another.

That really is a mad post.

You recommend a Chinese lathe despite not having one, basing your opinion on the fact that our homes are filled with other completely unrelated Chinese stuff and disregard a service engineers opinion based on assumptions he may be old and bitter? 🤨

03/05/2023 17:14:24
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/05/2023 10:41:31:
Posted by Hollowpoint on 03/05/2023 10:15:39:

Anything from Aximinster, Warco, Chester etc is a backwards step IMO.

A couple of Myford Super 7 Connoisseurs would probably be your best option.

Dunno about Axminster but Warco and Chester both sell Industrial machines. I hope no-one thinks hobby machines made down to a price are the best that can be done, they're not. I'm not aware of any hobbyist spending £17k on a Chinese industrial lathe, or similar made around the world. Be interesting to have a play with one - I'd expect a £17k machine to be rather better than my £3000 economy model.

I assume the Myford Super 7 Connoisseur suggestion is a joke? Good lathes in the hands of a considerate machinist, but surely too delicate for trainees. Myfords were never popular in schools, who generally bought more robust kit.

Dave

Oh sorry, I thought the op would want something that actually works and doesn't need new electronics every week. 🙄

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate