Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Unnecessary waste of paper

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian 228/11/2018 13:33:12
104 forum posts
19 photos

Barclays Bank recently closed my local branch. I have now transferred my affection to another bank. A smooth and trouble free transition.

Last week I received from Barclays, copies of statements for the previous five years. Almost 90 sheets of A4 paper.

They are legally obliged to offer this service unless I requested otherwise.

Had they asked (which they did not) I would have declined.

It would take one letter on one sheet of paper to simply ask the question.

I hate to think of the needless waste if this is common practice throughout the banking industry.

Adrian.angry

Howard Lewis28/11/2018 14:35:08
7227 forum posts
21 photos

I agree, but initiative is not encouraged. "Don't ask questions. Just tick the box"

As Model Engineers, who need to use our initiative, it is doubly frustrating, but like PC thinking, it is now a part of life, designed for those cannot assess a situation and react to it.

Where should I store my soapbox? Only clean answers please!

Howard

Douglas Johnston28/11/2018 14:42:56
814 forum posts
36 photos

About five years ago I closed a bank account and every 6 months since then I have received a letter from them stating my account balance is 12p. I should really tell them to stop but am interested to see how long this silly business goes on.

Doug

Watford28/11/2018 14:46:38
142 forum posts
11 photos

Not just the banks. Just renewed my car insurance. Two large envelopes received, one to invite renewal, and the second to send the insurance certificate. Counting the total sheaf of papers that this involved I found that they had sent thirty-nine sheets of A4.

My input was a solitary bank transfer. question

Mike

Oldiron28/11/2018 15:03:15
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 28/11/2018 14:42:56:

About five years ago I closed a bank account and every 6 months since then I have received a letter from them stating my account balance is 12p. I should really tell them to stop but am interested to see how long this silly business goes on.

Doug

I shut my Barclays credit card account 15 years ago and still get paper billing giving me an account total of £0.00.

I have asked several times for it to be stopped but still it comes.

regards

J Hancock28/11/2018 15:24:34
869 forum posts

Many years ago,when I reached the tender age of 65, in addition to my main pension I found two tiny extra

pensions.

One of £2.68 a year, which I naturally asked to be paid monthly, as it was taxed, Each month I would get an envelope with the paperwork inside showing 18p had been paid into my account, plus 4p to the Inland Revenue.

After many years they did try to pay me off (refused), so now get the lump sum of £2.15 up front.

larry phelan 128/11/2018 20:36:04
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Dont even try to understand this type of thing,I dont,I just ask them to repeat since I dont understand,and guess what ? Yes,they send out the same crap again !

It,s called PROGRESS or something !cheeky

Neil Wyatt28/11/2018 21:06:07
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Hmm at a rough count I can think of well over twenty organisations that send me regular statements.

The only ones I get paper communications for are my business bank accounts and some things from HMRC.

It's really up to you to contact them and switch to paperless.

Neil

Fowlers Fury28/11/2018 22:32:33
446 forum posts
88 photos

"It's really up to you to contact them and switch to paperless"

Don't know if other banks are the same as Barclays but SWMBO and myself each have an account with them.
We opted for "paperless" communication but are both inundated with large unsolicited multi-page letters, often twice a week, inviting us to take out loans. It's junk mail and goes straight to the shredder - costing me electricity and them production and postage. But I suppose it all keeps Royal Snail Mail in business and our postman in a job.

vintage engineer28/11/2018 23:26:56
293 forum posts
1 photos

You will find that most of this paper is due to EU rules and they harp on about saving the environment!

I.M. OUTAHERE29/11/2018 00:58:55
1468 forum posts
3 photos

My bank started charging for printed monthly statements so it kind of forces me to go to the E - statements .

If all shose sheets are only printed single side you could use the other side for a workshop sketch pad smiley

Hopper29/11/2018 01:09:10
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Haven't had a paper letter from a bank in years since I went all digital e-statements etc. Usually there is somewhere on your internet banking page you can tick the box for "I do not wish to receive mail/emails/phone calls about outstanding opportunities in banking I may wish to participate in" or the like. If you don't tick the box, you get pestered.

All my bills and vehicle rego etc are also received and paid online these days. So the only things in my letterbox these days are small parcels from eBay etc. (Mostly workshop related!) Can't remember the last time i got an actual letter. -- edit, oh yes I can. Speeding fine. Doh! Some things never change.

Edited By Hopper on 29/11/2018 01:14:56

Russell Eberhardt29/11/2018 08:55:11
2785 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by vintage engineer on 28/11/2018 23:26:56:

You will find that most of this paper is due to EU rules and they harp on about saving the environment!

It's always too easy to blame someone else.

Russell

SillyOldDuffer29/11/2018 09:57:19
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 29/11/2018 08:55:11:
Posted by vintage engineer on 28/11/2018 23:26:56:

• It's always too easy to blame someone else.

Russell

The EU has always been a convenient excuse for any bureaucratic cock-up or unpopular legislation in the UK. Be fun to see who gets the blame from next year onwards!

One explanation for this kind of nonsense from my personal experience:

• Step 1 - to reduce costs organisations like Banks replace staff with an in-house developed computer system. Now what can be done depends more on the limitations of the computer system than the willingness of an individual employee to change a paper record. As the system is developed in-house, there is a team who can fix annoying faults by changing the programs, but the cost of doing so may cause long delays, or even a decision to tolerate the problem.
  • Step 2 - to further reduce costs the organisation replaces most of its computer team with a bought in software package, possibly externally hosted. This severely restricts the ability of the business to make direct changes to the system. It's no longer possible for in-house computer staff to modify code and quickly fix faults, instead what can be done depends on whatever contract has been struck with the package vendor. A common business model is for the core package to be relatively inexpensive, while changing anything after purchase is very expensive. Package vendors profit because most businesses will need to make changes.  In the worst case it can be necessary to negotiate a new contract, or migrate to a different package.

The high cost of making small software changes tends to cause organisations to tolerate inconveniences for ever, or to bundle fixes into the next major planned upgrade which might be several years away.

This forum has several small shortcomings of this type. No doubt Neil regularly lobbies his management to fix them. No doubt Neil's management look at the cost and decide not to bother - yet. No doubt when the forum software reaches end-of-life, its replacement will be better.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 29/11/2018 10:02:56

Anthony Knights29/11/2018 09:58:20
681 forum posts
260 photos

Last year when my private pension increased, I received an updated council tax bill for 7 pence.

Howi29/11/2018 10:17:56
442 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Anthony Knights on 29/11/2018 09:58:20:

Last year when my private pension increased, I received an updated council tax bill for 7 pence.

????

Anthony Knights29/11/2018 12:43:10
681 forum posts
260 photos

COST OF PROCESSING DATA +PAPER +ENVELOPE +2ND CLASS STAMP=LOSS TO COUNCIL=WASTE OF PAPER.

Neil Wyatt30/11/2018 14:39:27
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 29/11/2018 09:57:19:

This forum has several small shortcomings of this type. No doubt Neil regularly lobbies his management to fix them. No doubt Neil's management look at the cost and decide not to bother - yet. No doubt when the forum software reaches end-of-life, its replacement will be better.

No I don't lobby for changes, I have set out what i woudl like to see in replacement software, including links to forums that I think use better software.

FWIW I think most forums use software that could be improved, not just this one.

Neil

martin perman30/11/2018 18:05:24
2095 forum posts
75 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/11/2018 14:39:27:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 29/11/2018 09:57:19:

No I don't lobby for changes, I have set out what i woudl like to see in replacement software, including links to forums that I think use better software.

FWIW I think most forums use software that could be improved, not just this one.

Neil

I find with all Forums the following applies “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

Martin P

the artfull-codger30/11/2018 18:28:37
304 forum posts
28 photos

Father in law lived next door,died 3 yrs ago & left his bungalow to the wife & sisters, eventually got a letter from the beeb about no tv licence renewal,dutifully phoned them up & told them about the situation & thought that was that,duty done, but no we regularly get demand & threatening letters for the last yr or more, this weeks says they're coming round this saturday [great] as there's no bungalow there now it was demolished last wek as part of the land she's sold & there's now a road there,I'm not paying for phone calls when I've told them once,the letters come in handy as I cut them up & use them in the workshop for notes etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate