By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Douglas Johnston

Here is a list of all the postings Douglas Johnston has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WORDEN CUTTER GRINDER
22/08/2023 11:42:58

I have the plans David but the dimensions are not given since the plinth was supplied already folded up. Thank you Nigel and Howard for supplying the dimensions I was looking for, much appreciated.

Doug

21/08/2023 21:56:43

I am in the process of clearing out my workshop and unearthed a partly built Worden cutter grinder that has been lurking in a dusty corner for many years. While I am still able I thought I would finish the construction but I notice that the metal plinth that the motor sits on is missing. Can someone who has a Worden please give me the dimensions of the plinth so I can fabricate a replacement. It is the height of the plinth that is my main concern, the length and width don't matter so much.

Doug

Thread: price reduction on my items for sale
27/06/2023 14:22:42

I have three items in the classified adverts which have not been sold and I have reduced their price, so if you are interested have another look please.

Doug

Thread: ccgt060204 tips
07/06/2023 16:09:25

I have just noticed that the tips I have advertised in the classified section contained an error. The tips were designated as CCGT060204 but they should have been the next size up : CCGT 09T304. I have been unable to correct this myself so could a moderator do that please. Also Dave Wootton sent me an email about the tips but my reply failed to deliver for some reason. Can you try again Dave.

Doug

Thread: Saving Money in the Workshop
07/05/2023 15:45:22

I have used oven liners to good effect. They are inexpensive and seem to last very well.

Doug

Thread: ccgt060204 tips
29/04/2023 17:05:12

Seems to be working now so I will see how it goes.

Doug

29/04/2023 16:43:42

I have had a couple of replies from people but the only response I am getting back is that they have no public profile and no actual message has been received by me. Is the personal messaging service working? The nose radius of the tips is 0.02mm

Doug

29/04/2023 11:36:45

Due to a terminal illness I am clearing out a lot of my workshop stuff. Big items will be left to others to dispose of but I thought I would sell off quite a large selection of high quality carbide inserts. I have been using CCGT06 and similar triangular and square inserts of Taegutec brand for quite a while and picked up a good stock a couple of years ago. These inserts are the sharp polished ones that work superbly on the smaller lathe, you just have to be careful not to chip the edges.They are similar to the ones in the Arc Euro catalogue page 43 but a lot cheaper!

These inserts can just be sent by letter post when taken out of the plastic packaging, so if anybody is wanting to try some send me a pm and I will get back to you.

Doug

Thread: changing a start stop car battery
19/03/2023 11:14:04

Just a final update. I bought a top quality Bosch battery online and fitted it myself with no issues. I was glad I did it myself since there was a bit of corrosion at the bottom of the battery tray and I treated that before fitting the new battery. I can't imagine a fitting service spending time treating any corrosion, they would just bung the new battery in and collect their fee.

Resetting the battery monitoring system was a doddle using information in a previous post ,backed up with more youtube research. The only downside is the start stop system now works and I have to disable it every time I jump in the car (I hate that system ). All in all a very worthwhile job which I enjoyed doing and it saved me quite a bit of money.

Doug

06/03/2023 10:54:35

I am still pondering my next move. Buying a top brand battery from one of the online suppliers is so much cheaper than getting the exact same battery from a local supplier so I am tempted to do that. Resetting the battery monitoring system would appear to be just a matter of pressing the fog light switch 5 times followed by pressing the hazard warning switch 3 times . Needless to say the car handbook gives absolutely no information about changing the battery.

Doug

Thread: No longer a free postage threshold at Arceurotrade?
06/03/2023 10:42:58

I noticed that move recently and can appreciate the reason for it. I am sure you thought long and hard about the wisdom of doing it since there was bound to be a slight dip in sales as a result. It must be quite hard to estimate the psychological pull factor that giving such an incentive results in.

Doug

Thread: changing a start stop car battery
01/03/2023 21:28:30

I'm beginning to suspect the stories about damaging the battery through overcharging if a proper reset is not done are mainly a way of persuading people to fork out for a "professional " fitter. I also suspect that a lot of those "professional " fitters don't bother to do a proper reset themselves. I am also wary of the competence of the staff at Halfords to do a good job.

Doug

01/03/2023 15:22:02

Thanks for the replies. That site you highlighted Dave is very interesting and seems to be a way of resetting the management system. For the past few years my start stop system has not worked, possibly due to the state of the battery, and to be honest I prefer it not working since it can be a pain at times. When I have a new battery fitted it will probably start working again and I will have to get used to disabling it each time I use the car since it resets to an "on " state each time the car starts. £150 for the right type of battery is another pain in the wallet!

Doug

01/03/2023 13:37:53

I have a 2016 Ford Fiesta 1l ecoboost car with start stop technology. The battery needs changing and I would like to do this myself as I do most of my car maintenance. Reading up on this and looking at U-tube the changing of the battery is quite straightforward but some sources say the new battery has to be registered with the onboard electronic management system. I have no way of doing this and wonder if this is really required or will the system just reset itself automatically over time.

Has anyone experience of this and can advise. Halfords (in UK ) offer a fitting service at £27, which I would like to avoid, but will reluctantly pay if I really must. I have also read that some Halfords stores won't do a fitting since they don't have properly trained staff (that does not fill one with confidence ). Any thoughts welcome.

Doug

Thread: Myford Lever Action Tailstock Design and Build
15/02/2023 11:40:29
Posted by Hopper on 15/02/2023 10:10:11:
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 06/01/2023 11:24:23:

Hi Hopper - very much enjoyed reading your article in the latest copy of MEW and have been inspired to make one for my Myford Speed 10. I may have to alter the odd dimension to fit the Speed 10 but it looks like it will work. One thing you did not mention in the article was the hole spacing on the flat bar link, what did this turn out to be ?

Doug

Sorry Doug, I missed your post until now. The distance between the hole centres on the link is 2-1/4" .Yes I think you could adapt it to the Speed 10 with minimal changes to suit the diamter of your tailstock body.

The final section of the article, along with the drawings for the link, handle, clamping ball handle and the stop are all in the next edition of MEW, Issue 324, February, which is out now. I did not realise the article had been split into two until just now because they take months to reach me in rural Australia.

No problem Hopper, I picked up on the second part of the article which I also was not expecting and saw the dimension there.

Doug

Thread: Finally got a proper lathe
11/02/2023 18:04:17

These are wonderful machines, I have been using one for about thirty years and it is a joy to use provided you remember it is not designed for machining large stuff.

Doug

Thread: cutting stainless steel sheet
23/01/2023 11:39:07
Posted by colin vercoe on 22/01/2023 21:09:35:

If you have a 4 1/2" grinder better still a battery one this is probably the industry standard now for jobbing shops and site contract work for steels, cast iron pipe, stainless steel pipe, and sheet use a stainless steel or Inox grade for all as this is a good general purpose grade, grind with a gentle forward and back motion a bit like a surface grinder light pressure dont dwell in one spot or heat will build up causing wheel to glaze this method will fly through 2.5mm sheet, we regularly cut 3mm stainless sheet or pipe up to 6 - 800 mm long.

Yes Colin you are probably right, the only thing is I don't like using the angle grinder in the shed with all the sparks and bits of grit flying about and the weather outside was miserable when I wanted to do the job. I was quite surprised just how well the hacksaw worked. It was not as fast as an angle grinder but kept me warm in the workshop and was quite therapeutic.

Doug

22/01/2023 14:56:00

I tried to cut the stainless sheet with my tile cutter and had some success but I think the blade was too worn to work well. I then tried cutting with the hacksaw using a new 32 tpi bimetal blade (good quality Swedish Bahco one ) and was surprised at how well it worked. One cut was too long for the hacksaw so had to finish that cut with the other blade holder shown in the photo. On checking the blade after the cuts it was still in pretty good condition. So there we are then, the humble hacksaw won the day.

Doug

I img_0480.jpg

21/01/2023 18:15:23
Posted by Bezzer on 21/01/2023 17:38:45:

I use a diamond bladed wet tile saw to cut stainless sheet nice and cleanly. Usually 1mm 316 but have done 3mm on the odd occasion. Saw is nothing special it's a cheap end Plasplugs one about 15 years old and still used for tiling when needed. The water helps to keep it cool and workable though 316 isn't that bad to start with, should be OK for 304 but haven't done any, hate the stuff give me 316 or 303 anytime.

Thanks for the replies, I have a diamond tile cutter and never thought of trying it so will give it a go tomorrow provided I can bear the freezing temperatures outside and in the shed.

Doug

21/01/2023 15:42:25

I have a 500mm square sheet of 304 stainless steel 2.5mm thick and want to cut it into some smaller pieces. I have made a start with a metal cutting blade fitted to a jigsaw and while it does work it is extremely slow going. I have thought of using a thin metal cutting disk in an angle grinder and would welcome any thoughts from those that have done this with stainless steel. My worry is that the edges might get work hardened and make filing the edges difficult.

Doug

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate