By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thread size on xd 3420 motor
19/08/2023 09:23:16

Thread gauges are cheap enough and very handy in situations like this. Most suppliers advertising on this site offer an Imperial/Metric set for less than a tenner. Personally, I have sets for Imperial, Metric, BA and American UNC/UNF

Thread: making BLACK chess pieces
14/08/2023 08:34:45

I made a chess set using nuts and bolts. The black pieces were treated with brick cleaner (hydrochloric acid) to remove the bright zinc plating and then blacked by heating and dunking in oil.chessmen3-1.jpg

Thread: Lazer printer
12/08/2023 10:25:04

If I have to replace any of my printers, I now know one brand I will NOT be buying.

Thread: Use of coal, oil and fossil fuels
07/08/2023 08:17:02

I seem to remember reading some where that extracting energy from the tides would slow the earth's rotation down?

Thread: I like a nice tool but..
02/08/2023 11:27:37

They do make spiral piercing saw blades (advertised on Amazon for example). These cut in any direction so why need a rotating blade? Just asking.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
29/05/2023 10:47:12

weller.jpg

I have a Weller soldering Iron similar to above, but after over 20 years use, is considerably more worn and battered. In view of the silly prices being asked for spare parts, I have reluctantly decided to scrap it. I have replaced it with thermostatically controlled soldering station, which cost no more than a couple of the Weller curie point bits.

new solder iron..jpg

Edited By Anthony Knights on 29/05/2023 10:48:09

Thread: French adjustable spanner restoration
28/05/2023 16:21:35

Try **LINK**

Thread: Bending 12mm square mild steel bar
28/05/2023 09:05:59

Michael Cox tangential tool holder. MEW 179. I made both left and right handed versions.

rh tool.jpg

Thread: Michael Cox Tangential Tool Holder- MEW 179
28/05/2023 09:02:59

Michael Cox tangential tool holder. MEW 179. I made both left and right handed versions.

rh tool.jpg

Thread: Parallels
15/05/2023 09:46:02

I use pairs of HSS tool blanks as parallels. Providing you use them the same way up using the angled ends as a guide, I cannot measure any difference between the various pairs. I have a selection, ranging from 5mm up to 10mm.

I don't tend to make stuff for NASA , so these are good enough for me.

Thread: Cables
15/05/2023 09:27:02

I buy suitably sized tool boxes for storing portable tools which don't come with their own storage case. I can then store the tools with their various blades, belts or other attachments in one place together with the power cable, charger etc. The boxes can be stacked and I label the case with the contents so I can instantly select the tool required. Just a matter of being organised.

Thread: Dear Uncle Mickeysoft
14/05/2023 14:07:55
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 14/05/2023 12:45:54:

I know many people have gone over to Linux but I'm wary of doing so for two reasons.

Firstly it seems best avoided unless you really understand operating-systems, which I don't.

Also will it allow using third-party programmes and your files developed in them, still to be used fully?

What of all your existing WIN-supported files: 'Word', 'Excel', etc.? Or of programmes like most CAD and photo-editors written for Windows?

You can try out linux from a dvd or thumb drive without actually installing it on your machine. The Libre Office programs are all capable of loading and saving Microsoft Office files. GNU image will do everything the Adobe program does, but usually in a different way, so bit of a learning curve.

Personally I use a dual boot machine, with Linux Ubuntu and Windows 10, but I only use windows when I absolutely have to. I have a simple CAD program which runs in windows, but I haven't got round to trying any of the Linux equivalents yet. All important information is backed up to an external drive, which is dis-connected before booting windows,so they can't mess with those files. Give it a try. You don't have to be a computer wizz kid and it won't cost you anything except some of your time.

Regards Anthony

Thread: Anybody like weird plants?
10/05/2023 17:09:06

After nurturing and growing the leaves on the top of a pineapple fruit for three years, I eventually managed to grow a pineapple. The plant is very big and it was a lot of work for one fruit. We do well in this country to be able to buy them for about £1 each.

pineapple1.jpg

Thread: Possible use of ALDI car battery charger as a bench power supply
04/05/2023 02:58:09

This is a bench power supply I made from an old computer PSU.psu.jpg

Thread: Posting photos
26/04/2023 09:59:46

Important to note that this site only accepts JPG format, so PNG et al don't work.

Thread: Sieg mill circuit board
16/04/2023 09:00:28
Posted by Ian Johnson 1 on 15/04/2023 10:33:56:

Thinking it was the potentiometer I replaced it, but at the time I couldn't get a 4.7ohm pot so I stuck in a 5ohm pot, no improvement, although the abnormal light came on, which it didn't before.

I would be grateful if you would post up your remedy.

Regards

IanJ

I think you must have meant a 4.7 or 5 K ohm pot.

Thread: windows (again)
23/03/2023 11:34:08

I just tried to use the scanner on my Epson ET-4500 printer, only for the system to inform me that the scanner was not connected. Strange, as I had just used the printer. So- shut everything down, check connections and bypass the USB hub and connect directly to the computer. Fire everything back up, but still no scanner. I then remembered that I had a windows update two days ago. Removed this (KB5022834), rebooted and scanner now working. Why do Microsoft keep trying to sabotage my computer?

Thread: Forum Platform Changes - PLEASE READ
19/03/2023 08:19:26

Is there a way to save a complete album, or does one have to save each picture individually?

Thread: What’s wrong with my knurling
11/03/2023 13:01:41

Mentioned above by Graham Meek, the sideways movement of the arms can cause poor / uneven knurls. I built the device shown below which is designed to eliminate sideways arm movement. Shown with straight knurls, but there are various interchangeable sets of wheels.

knurler1.jpg

Thread: Clarke CL300 Forward-Off-Reverse switch wiring problem.
08/03/2023 09:57:37

If you go onto the Machine Mart website and search for CL300, you will go to the catalogue entry for that machine. There is a box to click on which loads the manual. Page 37 shows the wiring diagram, although the PCB number is different from the one you have given. Two of the changeover sets of contacts reverse the supply to the motor. One of the other contacts slows the motor down when in reverse. The C2-181 switch is a 4 pole change over switch with a centre OFF position and hopefully stops the motor before you change direction.

Best wishes. Anthony

Edited By Anthony Knights on 08/03/2023 10:03:19

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate