Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

John Stevenson

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ketan Swali19/10/2017 21:44:25
1481 forum posts
149 photos

Many people on this forum know John Stevenson.

Earlier this year, John was diagnosed with a rare form of bone marrow cancer. Some forum members are aware of this, but many aren't, as John preferred it this way. As most who know him are aware, he does not do sympathy, and prefers to keep well away from messages of sadness.

Initial treatment went well, and he received his German bone marrow. Ever since the new marrow 'took', he started having a craving for sauerkraut along with his favourite spitfire beer - a positive side effect I guess. During the treatment, he also got married to his rocket scientist 'delectable Dr.Debs' as he would say.

All was going to plan. However, about three weeks ago he had an infection, which is now weakening him fast day by day.

So, coming to the reason for this thread:

I believe in the power of positive thought.

I know that I and many people on this forum have benefited from Johns comments and wisdom over the years. I also know that many like 'to spar' with him at times, and at the same time, he has come to learn a thing or two from several posters.

As a collective, I politely request people who know him to make whatever comments they like on this thread - be they positive/angry Myford/ or cheeky. The idea is to be positive, without sadness, to help him see the kind of colourful people who have got to know him or he has got to know over the years, and to show him the positive thoughts we are all sending him to help him get through his difficult journey.

I will send a link to his wife with a request for her to read the comments to him. I am sure he will enjoy hearing for all of us.

I believe that beside this forum, he was also active on Home Shop Machinist as well as on some other forums. If any of you are members on Home Shop Machinist or other forums where he participates, could I please request you to forward this post on those forums, and put links of the post on here?

Ketan

Edited By Ketan Swali on 19/10/2017 21:47:51

Neil Wyatt19/10/2017 22:01:48
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

Thanks Ketan,

John helped me out a lot when I started this job. It was about six months before I realised he was the same bloke who had done me a couple of favours a year or two earlier!

I hope John knows how much I appreciate his help, but I want to record here just how grateful I am to him.

As a dedicated tea drinker I even forgive him for making me drink workshop coffee made with powdered milk out of a mug that looked like he'd been keeping rusty nails in it...

Keep smiling, Sir John of Blidgeport.

Neil

David Standing 119/10/2017 22:09:49
1297 forum posts
50 photos

Ok, so I will kick off.......

Last year I had a lengthy PM exchange with John regarding that eternal dilemma - what tool cutter grinder I should get. John's advice was very useful, and after some toing and froing we decided a Clarkson would probably suit my needs best (and that is what I subsequently bought).

We also had a discussion in passing about a certain forumer (who shall remain nameless, but had the same christian name as John wink 2) who was just a pain in the bum. He has subsequently 'left' the forum.

John described him as an 'idiot that was looking for the village that had lost him', which probably sums him up well.

Get well soon John, I probably have some more daft questions building up for you blush

jason udall19/10/2017 22:16:31
2032 forum posts
41 photos
Seeing the positive can do attitude shown in the posts in "weldit where it touches" thread ,I doubt I can add much to that spirit .
But the little I can add John .you can have it. .. get back and get us back in order.
Clive Hartland19/10/2017 22:23:12
2929 forum posts
41 photos

John, if you can mend all those broken bits I am sure you can apply that to yourself, keep taking the pills and smile!

Clive, beekeeper

Chris Evans 619/10/2017 22:25:22
2156 forum posts

This all explains why I have been missing John's input to the forum. We have all learnt a lot and been entertained by John. Get well soon.

Roderick Jenkins19/10/2017 22:32:57
2376 forum posts
800 photos

The curmugeonliness quotient has been low of late and the forum is the worse for it. I'm afraid John cannot be allowed to leave just yet.

Myfords forever!

Rod

Bob Rodgerson19/10/2017 22:50:17
612 forum posts
174 photos

I wondered why it was a bit quiet on the JS front. I really like seeing some of your practical engineering solutions that you use on some of the repair work you undertook. I miss your stark and outspoken replies to some of the forum users, they definitely made me chuckle. Stick with it John I'm sure we'll be seeing some more posts soon.

Keith Rogers 219/10/2017 22:51:15
88 forum posts
2 photos

Although a comparative newcomer to the forum I have been a member long enough to remember with a smile the exchanges between John and a certain member mentioned by David Standing.

Johns posts have always been informative, entertaining, and humorous. Had me ROTFLMAO.

Get well soon John, this forum needs and misses your input.

Best regards,

Keith

Cornish Jack19/10/2017 23:07:51
1228 forum posts
172 photos

In a post some time in the past, I referred to John as 'a National Treasure'. In the world of engineering, that he undoubtedly is. Given the state of the country at the moment we need all the treasure we can muster, so kindly stop pissing about John, and get back to dispensing proper commonsense solutions to our metal mangling woes... and, Debs ... you got yourself a cracker there - give him 'builder's tea' and a cuddlecheeky

rgds

Bill

Nicholas Farr19/10/2017 23:13:02
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, a man who wouldn't call a spade anything but a spade, he is so blunt you won't cut you fingers on him, but a very nice man to speak too and really knows his metal. Hope you hurry up a get well so we can read some more Bodgers Lodge updates.

Oh! and he can make a real good job of sharpening end mills at the exhibitions.cheeky

Regards and best wishes Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 19/10/2017 23:20:57

Steve Pavey19/10/2017 23:23:58
369 forum posts
41 photos

Johns many workshop posts on the work he did professionally were the reason I initially joined the forum. He therefore introduced me to a superb resource, of which he has played a major part. A true engineer, who can tackle just about anything judging by the incredible range of projects he has modestly described in his posts. My best wishes John.

Peter Krogh19/10/2017 23:32:57
228 forum posts
20 photos

So that's where he went! It's been way quiet and calm around here and now we know why. I thought it was because Debs had turned his mind to 'other' subjects!

Come on John, you're the King Bodger. Life's a bodge. Put the arm on this thing and bodge it gone!

We're all in this together, so get back soon. We'll keep the coffee hot and the mugs sorta rinsed out...

Pete

charadam20/10/2017 00:03:17
185 forum posts
6 photos

John,

Always remember - if you cut too much off, just weld the bugger back on!

All the very best and thank you for your humour, candour and colourful input.

Charles

DMB20/10/2017 00:19:00
1585 forum posts
1 photos

John,

It's a few days shy of 54 weeks since my double heart bypass and now a lot better.

Come on, see if you can match my regained health. We all want to read more bodging reports!

Good luck and best wishes for speedy recovery.

Another John

Ian Welford20/10/2017 00:22:23
300 forum posts

I thought it had been quiet , assumed he’d been diverted from the path by SWMBO! John hope you’re back on the tack soon. Your fiery exchanges and forthright views always add to this and other forums.

Enjoyed your exchanges at Doncaster and tribulations from your Chinese oddesy. Looking forward to more of the same shortly.

Whilst convalescing start dropping hints about the new gadgets you’ll need to speed your recovery....... Start with chocolate biscuits to go with the new lathe.... regards Ian

Ady120/10/2017 00:40:19
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Another one who thought it had got a bit quiet in here recently.

Always enjoyed your posts John, and smiled at those feisty ones which came along from time to time

Get yourself sorted out and back in the saddle ASAP, we'll be thinking about you and rooting for you.

Get well soon

Ady

Hopper20/10/2017 00:53:58
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Yes, I always enjoy Mr Stevenson's no-nonsense forum comments here on the other side of the world in Oz. Hang in there mate and keep drinking that Spitfire beer (whatever that is). Hope to hear you are back at Bodger's Lodge soon.

julian atkins20/10/2017 01:08:56
1285 forum posts
353 photos

I am grateful to Ketan's post.

I have crossed swords with John on many occasions in quite forthright PMs and on here on occasions.

All good wishes and prayers.

Cheers,

Julian

Another JohnS20/10/2017 01:12:06
842 forum posts
56 photos

Bijeezuz (as they say over here - ice fishing time coming soon) He owes my Deb and I a pint at the Reine Deer in Banbury (or, equivalent) next time we are over in the UK.

I had wondered why all the random "I love Mach3" posts had dropped by 90%, which is allowing the "I love LinuxCNC" posts to shine through. Now we know. (smile)

Take care JohnS - the other JohnS.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate