Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hearing aids - NHS or private?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Graham06/07/2023 00:30:48
1089 forum posts
345 photos

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who is deaf. In my own case it's congenital and started in my mid forties, so I've been using aids for over twenty years. Exclusively NHS for me. That's been OK until recently.

The main purpose of this is to ask if others have experienced benefits from going private after having had experience of NHS aids. I'm less interested in the 'bells and whistles' (Bluetooth etc) than (a) subjective improvement in hearing quality and (b) expertise and accessibility of audiologists. I'd be grateful to hear of any experiences before I splash out. I'm thinking either Boots or Specsavers.

Robin.

peak406/07/2023 02:11:33
2207 forum posts
210 photos

Only recently started wearing them myself; I don't use them all the time, but great for TV theatre etc.
Have you had your present ones re-programmed recently to suit your current hearing defects?

Good Luck
Bill

Clive Hartland06/07/2023 07:00:47
2929 forum posts
41 photos

Siemen make NHS hearing aids, after a time the ear form becomes loose and will move when you incline ones head. then it whistles or osscilates, annoying. make an appt. to have a new earform made.

Much depends on what type of deafness you have, whether noise induced with accompaning tinnitus or congenital.

The hearing test will show the waveform and how to adjust the hearing via a computer set up at the audiology clinic.

Robert Atkinson 206/07/2023 07:55:55
1891 forum posts
37 photos

No experience with NHS aids but recently used Boots (central Cambridge). Very impressed with the service. I have loss of high frequencies. Bought some higher end Phonax receiver in ear aids with bluetooth (SWMBO insisted) and must admit it is very handy having wireless TV, handsfree for phone etc.

If I'd gone with NHS I'd still be waiting for an appointment.....

David Ambrose06/07/2023 08:29:13
55 forum posts
4 photos

I have had an NHS aid for about four years. It works for me, and I happy to have free batteries, and the knowledge that it will be replaced for free if it breaks.

Chris Evans 606/07/2023 08:34:59
2156 forum posts

I have used aids for 20 + years and the NHS aids outperform any expensive private aids I have tried.

Plus one for an audiology check and update the program.

roy entwistle06/07/2023 08:57:23
1716 forum posts

I have NHS aids ( Phonax )and have audiology checks every 2 years

Also have aids cleaned and serviced every 6 months plus free batteries.and updates when needed. All for free.

And I've usually got an appointment within 2 weeks

Roy

Edited By roy entwistle on 06/07/2023 09:17:02

Edited By roy entwistle on 06/07/2023 09:25:18

lee webster06/07/2023 09:02:42
383 forum posts
71 photos

I have had NHS hearing aids for over two years. I have regular checkups at the hospital to make sure everything is OK. My last checkup was a few weeks ago. A year ago I lost one of my hearing aids. I contacted the hospital and they made an appointment to have a new aid fitted. I had to pay £70.00, not bad considering they cost the NHS £1000.00 the pair. If I was still going to music concerts and opera I might consider going private to get a better sound, but £3000.00 might put me off.

Emgee06/07/2023 09:20:16
2610 forum posts
312 photos

I am fortunately not using any hearing aid device but can report that my late brother-in-law had 2 sets from different private suppliers that had all bells and whistles, but changed to a set from the NHS which he said gave improved hearing and less trouble than those costing a fortune, in one case £4000

Emgee

JohnF06/07/2023 09:33:09
1243 forum posts
202 photos

I have had Phonax aids via the NHS now for about 15 years? Main problem is high pitch sounds, missed hearing the song birds when out and about. Several different units, the first had the very small tube with "bud" for the ear, 2nd & 3rd ones the same but more sophisticated. Now I have reached the limit for these units so a couple of months back had a new test and now they have a soft ear mould and a larger tube with blue tooth and volume control -- very happy with them and the service from the NHS staff.

Personally I don't think its worth the money to go private, setting aside development etc cannot see why they should be so expensive when they must be produced in vast quantities.

Kevin Murrell06/07/2023 09:46:00
59 forum posts
6 photos

I have sexy new hearing aids from SpecSavers. They pair up using Bluetooth to my phone which is great. I can watch videos etc without bothering anyone else. It's also clever on the phone with the other caller sitting inside my head! Not cheap and they run through batteries. Re-chargable was an option, but I already have enough I forget to recharge as it is.

Andrew Tinsley06/07/2023 10:17:01
1817 forum posts
2 photos

Friend of mine went private and finished up with an aid that was exactly the same as mine with the exception that his was rechargeable and my aids use throw away batteries. The difference in cost about £1400. In my opinion people that go private are being ripped off.

Andrew.

ChrisLH06/07/2023 10:35:08
111 forum posts
7 photos

I've had NHS hearing aids for at least 10 years. NHS in my area take the initiative and invite you in for a check-up every 2 years. At my last check-up I got a new pair of aids (Oticon, Danish) which are excellent. They are free as are the batteries.

Robert Atkinson 206/07/2023 11:10:14
1891 forum posts
37 photos

I should have said: My aids are re-chargable. Not easy to forget to charge. They just drop into the storage case / charger on the bedside table at night. A lot greener than zinc air cells. Cost of aids includes annual check-up. I was given a 1-2 month wait for a initial NHS appointment. It might be better elsewhere or if you are already in the system.

Robert.

Samsaranda06/07/2023 11:23:16
1688 forum posts
16 photos

I have worn hearing aids for 30+ years, I currently have 90 db hearing loss on high frequencies, which is classed as severe, resulting from noise exposure in the Air Force without hearing protection, this was in the 60’s when we had noisiest generation of gas turbine engines. My hearing loss is a War Pensioned Disablement so I receive priority treatment via the NHS, both my aids are Phonak aids provided by the NHS. The same aids are currently available from private suppliers at well in excess of £1,000 each, I can see no reason why I would go private for the same piece of equipment. A few years ago I worked as a volunteer for a hearing disability charity, came across lots of people who had paid extortionate amounts for private aids and regretted not going for the NHS models. As an aside my wife is profoundly deaf with no hearing at all as a result of having had meningitis many years ago, twelve years ago she was fitted with a cochlear implant by the NHS, it transformed her life, nowadays she complains that I have the tv and radio too loud, this from someone who can hear nothing without her implant switched on. My NHS Phonak aids are Bluetooth enabled which means that I can couple my IPhone to them so that I can hear the phone directly through my aids, I find that this is now the only way that I can use a phone nowadays, I cannot hear on landlines anymore, sometimes that can be convenient. Also have a gadget that connects with our tv so that I can hear that through Bluetooth coupling with my aids, this means that we can turn the tv sound off and still hear everything through my aids. My experience of hearing loss and hearing aids is that I would never entertain privately provided aids, why pay when the same item is provided by the NHS, they have a huge range of aids from which they choose to match your hearing requirements. One important factor is that your hearing will constantly degrade over time, the NHS will retest your hearing every three years and adjust your hearing aid provision to suit any changes. This is still all free from the NHS. Totally irrelevant to this thread is that I have a deaf cat, he is with me always and when I am in my workshop he sits on the bench alongside where I am working and usually goes to sleep there. Dave W

Peter G. Shaw06/07/2023 11:42:55
1531 forum posts
44 photos

I use NHS hearing aids, and am supposed to get them, and me, checked every 3 years, otherwise I need another referral by the GP. But what the heck, at the mileage involved, 27 miles to the main Audiology clinic or 14 miles to another clinic, both of which have proper sound insulated hearing rooms, (I mention that because there are two nearer clinics which don't have sound proof rooms and which I now will not use.) there is a strong disincentive to go.

Anyway, I have Menieres in one ear which after the application of Gentamycin to stop the vertigo etc just about works, indeed one audiologist, at least I think that's what she was, actually asked why I was bothering with a hearing aid in that ear, it was so bad. In the other ear, well, I don't know what happened, something did, but during a choral concert which I was taking part in, I lost most of my bass response, resulting in the provision of a hearing aid for that ear. Gradually over I think about 18 months or so, some bass response has returned and the last ime I had it checked, she said that I was better than before. Explain that one!

So, private or NHS? Well, after discovering how a certain underclass seem able to live off State funds without working, with no-one doing anything about it, I thought, right, if the state supplies it, then if I need it, then I will take it. Selfish? You bet! But I have spent a large number of years working, paying large amounts of tax etc, and then to see people getting stuff for free, well it sticks in the craw.

Sorry about that moan.

Cheers,

Peter G. Shaw

Dave Halford06/07/2023 12:12:18
2536 forum posts
24 photos

Spec savers audio supply all aids as pairs and therefore all prices are for two.

NHS aids will go louder than private and Spec savers can supply them if you are referred by your GP.

Rechargables are a bit larger than the battery versions.

My wife's have the speaker in the ear and are better in crowded places with lots of background sound like the supermarket.

Samsaranda06/07/2023 12:42:35
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Forgot to mention in my posting above that Bluetooth enabled aids will couple with Ring Doorbell so you can hear sounds and speech directly through the aids therefore cutting out any background noise which if you have a severe hearing loss is very helpful. When working in my workshop at the end of the garden I can hear the doorbell and still speak to the caller. Dave W

Howi06/07/2023 13:02:40
442 forum posts
19 photos

it depend on where you are, in South yorkshire I can only have one hearing aid on the NHS, over in NE Derbyshire I could get two - go figure.

Had an NHS one but was not brilliant, My hearing deteriated quite markedly so decided to go private (Boots).

I now needed two hearing aids and decided to go top of range Phonak and yer the price is eye watewring.

Blue tooth connects them to my mobile phoine which really helps, they come with acharging box, drop them in over night and ready next morning (actually onlt takes a couple of hours). the charger has a built in rechargable battery which will last about 5 days worth of charging. My only gripe has been replacing the receivers (the speaker bit that goes in the ear) which don't seem to last very long (may be me though!). So far they have been replaced free of charge.

If you have been deaf for any length of time, you appreciate what hearing aids can do for you and your quality of life.

While i wouldl ike not to have to pay £3500, I would not like to be permanently deaf either.

You pays your money and take your choice, as they say.

duncan webster06/07/2023 13:47:38
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I've got 2 NHS ones and am very happy with them. However I'm not very deaf, just lost high frequency, so can't comment on those with more profound issues

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate