By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin Graham

Here is a list of all the postings Robin Graham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning Curve
04/10/2023 00:02:39
Posted by Peter Greene on 03/10/2023 21:43:54:

[...]

(Wouldn't it be simpler to just say "difficult - or easy - to learn". In fact, I suspect we would have a few decades ago).

Possibly, but it turns out that the expression was first used (in English) in 1903 - the concept originated in 1885 apparently, but in a specific technical sense it seems (Wikipedia).

I'd never really thought about this before. I had just imagined trudging up a hill and using a lot of effort to achieve little horizontal progress ('proficiency' )and hence arrived at the conventional meaning. You put time (or effort if you like) on the the horizontal axis and proficiency on the vertical which led to the 'wrong' interpretation of the expression. It's just a matter of how you label the axes surely. There is precedent for your view - in 1897 William Bryan and Noble Harter published a study of the speed which someone learned telegraphy:

bryanhartercurves.jpg

Time on the horizontal axis, so the 'learning curve' is steep on the easy bit.

Every day is a school day as they say!

Robin

Edited By Robin Graham on 04/10/2023 00:03:23

Edited By Robin Graham on 04/10/2023 00:20:36

Edited By Robin Graham on 04/10/2023 00:21:14

Edited By Robin Graham on 04/10/2023 00:27:06

Thread: ChatGPT - need we worry?
28/09/2023 00:39:24
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 27/09/2023 11:02:26:
Posted by Robin Graham on 27/09/2023 00:40:54:
Posted by blowlamp on 25/09/2023 14:29:47:

How long to dry nine towels?

https://youtube.com/shorts/rqI3xF9vDd0?si=gxQFTOf762e4txQ7

That's really interesting. I think that it shows (as with my crossword clue example) that ChatGPT is not especially good at problem solving. ...

Well, fellow humans, did we watch the nine towels example carefully and then engage brain. Or did we jump to the conclusion that ChatGPT was wrong, because 'obviously' an AI must be more stupid than us?

I suggest that ChatIPT gives the correct answer for the correct reason. It does not assume, as might a foolish human, that a washing line must be capable of supporting 9 towels at the same time. The length of the line is not specified: all that is known for sure is that the line will take 3 towels. Assuming otherwise is unjustified.

[...]

I didn't myself jump to the conclusion that ChatGPT must be wrong because of its artificiality. It's more a matter of teasing it with questions to try and understand how it 'thinks'

I'm not sure that the assumption that the washing line can take more than three towels is unjustified, though I take your point. From a purely logical point of view perhaps, but it would have been more impressive if the machine had pointed out that it was an ill-posed question (or super-impressive if it had mentioned protases and apodoses!) A lot of human discourse is predicated on the assumption of shared experience and I could argue that most, or at least a substantial subset, of humans possess washing lines capable of supporting more than three towels. ChatGPT should know that! Socks would be another matter entirely of course.

Possibly the weirdest thing about all this is that I now know that we own the same type of socks. The stripy ones on the left*. Cheapskate!

Robin.

* To be accurate I should say I have at least one sock which, on one side, superficially resembles at least one of your own. Perhaps.

R.

Edited By Robin Graham on 28/09/2023 00:41:53

Edited By Robin Graham on 28/09/2023 00:48:09

27/09/2023 00:40:54
Posted by blowlamp on 25/09/2023 14:29:47:

How long to dry nine towels?

https://youtube.com/shorts/rqI3xF9vDd0?si=gxQFTOf762e4txQ7

That's really interesting. I think that it shows (as with my crossword clue example) that ChatGPT is not especially good at problem solving. Someone upthread (sorry, I've forgotten who) pointed out that ChatGPT is a Large Language Model and is really directed towards the specific task of emulating human discourse.

It would be interesting to know what the question and suspect AI generated answer Neil refers to was about. Was the answer useful I wonder?

In another place (a wood turning forum) I responded to a contributor who claimed that Morse tapers are designed only for location and not torque transmission with counter examples and some theoretical considerations. Tonight I 'reached out' (ugh!) to ChatGPT on the topic and received a bullet list of platitudes and some misinformation - the reason that R8 tapers are better than Morse tapers is that they have a screwed shank and that's why they can transmit more torque. Hmm! Not great.

Well, I'm trying to make peace with my new mate.:

When I last communicated with you I was invited to 'reach out' if I had any further questions. The expression 'reach out', to me, reeks of insincerity. Can you change your vocabulary when talking to me?

Of course, I can adjust my vocabulary to better suit your preferences. If you have any specific phrases or language you'd like me to avoid or use, please let me know, and I'll do my best to communicate in a way that feels more genuine and comfortable for you. How would you like me to phrase things instead of "reach out" in this context?

Cripes. The conflation of 'genuine' and 'comfortable' makes me - erm - genuinely uncomfortable.

It's just word salad isn't it?

I should cease and desist - this could go on forever.

Robin.

PS:

“What convinces is not necessarily true-it is merely convincing: a note for asses.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited By Robin Graham on 27/09/2023 00:44:00

Edited By Robin Graham on 27/09/2023 01:03:52

Edited By Robin Graham on 27/09/2023 01:12:54

25/09/2023 00:00:02

Thanks to all for replies.

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/09/2023 17:21:05

[...]

I'm surprised ChatGPT didn't suggest EDEN as the answer to Amundsen's forwarding address. Amundsen disappeared in 1928 on a rescue mission, suggesting God called Amundsen home because He loved him too much. In comparison to a clear case of divine intervention is it likely a Norwegian knew 'mush' was the 'go forward' command given in Canada to Huskies? I don't believe Amundsen ever said 'mush', or that his hounds knew what it meant...

devil

Dave

Well yes! My reason for presenting this challenge to ChatGPT was that it needs some very 'human' reasoning to solve. I'd be surprised if anyone solved the clue 'cold' when it appeared. I certainly didn't - I needed crossing letters, say _U_H.

Because the thing about Amundsen using dogs on the South pole expedition was closer to the surface of my mind than his disappearance and there is an association (albeit incorrect) between Huskies and "mush" (I gather it's Hike! nowadays) in my mind, I solved the clue and knew that was the answer. That certainty was the result of a complicated web of associations which inter alia involved 'that's just the sort of dirty trick Bunthorne would pull'.

To give ChatGPT a better chance I gave crossing letters. Me and ChatGPT:

Can you solve a crossword clue for me?

Of course, I'd be happy to help you solve a crossword clue! Please provide me with the clue, and if you have any letters that are already filled in, let me know those as well.

The clue is: Amundsen's forwarding address? (4) It conforms to the pattern ?U?H

rose-invert light">

The answer to the crossword clue "Amundsen's forwarding address? (4)" with the pattern ?U?H is "SOUTH." Roald Amundsen was a famous Norwegian explorer who is known for being the first person to reach the South Pole, hence the reference to "SOUTH" as his forwarding address in this crossword clue.

[perhaps I should have given a proper regex? But we now have an assertion of the 'correct' answer.]

The solution must have four letters as indicated by (4) in the clue. Can you try again?

I apologize for the oversight. Given the pattern ?U?H and the requirement for a four-letter word, the correct answer to the crossword clue "Amundsen's forwarding address?" is "RUSH."

['Correct' is now explicit. I answer using the same word.]

Thank you. The correct answer is "MUSH". Can you explain how the clue works?

rose-invert light">

Certainly! The clue "Amundsen's forwarding address?" with the pattern ?U?H is a clever play on words.

1. "Amundsen" refers to Roald Amundsen, a Norwegian explorer known for his expedition to the South Pole.
  2. "Forwarding address" suggests that you should think about where Amundsen was heading or moving toward during his famous expedition.
  3. The pattern ?U?H hints at a four-letter word where the second letter is "U," and the last letter is "H."

Putting these clues together, you get the word "MUSH." In the context of Roald Amundsen's expedition to the South Pole, "mush" refers to the command used to urge sled dogs to move forward. So, it's a clever way of linking Amundsen's journey to the word "mush" as a forwarding command for his sled dogs.

[That's pretty impressive! We got there in the end.]

That is the correct explanation. I have no further questions at present.

I'm glad I could help explain the crossword clue to you! If you ever have more questions or need assistance in the future, feel free to reach out. Happy crossword solving!

Good God. I hardly know what to say. That's creepy.

Robin

23/09/2023 01:08:27

I was having an over-the-internet discussion with someone tonight and the we 'talked' about cryptic crossword clues. I mentioned the well known offering from the late Bob Smithies (Bunthorne in the Guardian):

Amundsen's forwarding address (4)

If you paste that into Google you'll get the solution (it's MUSH) in less than 500ms. ChatGPT says:

rose-invert light">

The crossword clue "Amundsen's forwarding address (4)" appears to be a play on words, suggesting a four-letter word that relates to the famous Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen.

One possible answer could be "Pole." Roald Amundsen is well-known for being the first person to reach the South Pole, so "Pole" could be considered his "forwarding address" in a playful sense.

That surprised me in that I thought it knew everything that have ever been published on the internet. Quite impressive other ways though - the language, whilst simple, seems correct and convincing.

I also asked how to tactfully alert my correspondent to a spelling error (I'll get it's opinion on split infinitives anon) and was advised, in summary, to be, um,tactful. Not nasty or judgemental. When I asked how flag the error brutally I I was 'strongly advised' to be, um, tactful.

Well, admirable advice from my present point of view, but surely it's value laden? When I was a schoolboy (about 100 years ago) the masters thought that the best way was humiliation, detentions and the cane and as a result I can now spill purfecly.

I suppose that the danger is that the technology might present opinion or hearsay as fact.

Robin.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 23/09/2023 01:09:50

Thread: Chaotic pendulms
09/09/2023 22:42:05

Thanks for replies.

DiogenesII: ".50 minutes an hour have slipped by.."

I think you may have anticipated my next question! When I first made one of these things I wondered what would happen if I somehow generated 'ticks' on a clock hand from, say, the secondary pendulum. Backward or forward ticks according to the sense of rotation. I reckon that 'on average' the hand would go in one direction albeit erratically.That's based on a perhaps half-baked notion of 'handedness' . If the pendulum is started in a clockwise direction say, then the the total angular momentum (call it positive) will diminish because of friction but can never become negative.

Ady1: Thanks for the links. Interesting. Those globes look beautiful.

Posted by John Haine on 09/09/2023 16:06:26:

Duncan, you're quite right, it's Minimag. The SPC1 or SPC3 (or is that no longer made?).

**LINK**

The SPC1 has a cored coil which makes it unsuitable for clocks but the SPC3 is un-cored. But for this application cored might be fine. Adjustment would probably be either changing drive voltage (1.5 - 4.5Vdc) or just proximity to magnet.

Robin that's cool - how did you make the bearings please? I'm quite tempted.

Thanks for the info about electromagnetic pulsing (and to Duncan as well). I shall experiment.

The bearings are bog-standard deep groove double shielded. Probably NSK, nothing special. I did make a prototype using ceramic ball bearings but the small improvement in running time wasn't worth the cost.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 09/09/2023 22:42:59

Edited By Robin Graham on 09/09/2023 22:58:02

08/09/2023 23:23:10

A few years ago I made a 'chaotic' double pendulum. The only record I have is is a Youtube video of a prototype.

I've been approached by a local shopholder who would like to put one in her window if I could make it run continuously.

I think that if I could by some means deliver a periodic impulse to the main beam to compensate for frictional loss it should continue to show chaotic behaviour. It would have to surely?

It's a bit muddy in my mind though and I'd appreciate any suggestions of how to tackle this.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 08/09/2023 23:24:35

Edited By Robin Graham on 08/09/2023 23:25:06

Thread: I had to smile …
08/09/2023 21:46:05
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 08/09/2023 20:49:48:
Posted by old mart on 08/09/2023 20:35:24:

[…]

As for PIN, that is an acronym in English which has not been translated at all.

… PIN should of course be capitalised, which they failed to do in either language version

But what really amused me was the English-only device.

MichaelG.

Presumably everything subsequent was in English as well? Easier to change the label on the machine than the software.

Last time I was in Wales I shopped at a supermarket which had dual-language aisle signage. English: Desserts. Welsh: Pwdins. I don['t speak Welsh, but that's wrong isn't it?

Robin.

Thread: The crumbly concrete problem
04/09/2023 23:12:27

About ten years ago I bought a three year old car. I reckoned it would last me about ten years and I calculated likely yearly maintenance costs and the cost of replacing when it became uneconomic to repair. I set aside a ring-fenced monthly amount. When it goes in for the MOT tomorrow I'll have funds either to repair or replace if it fails.

I'm going to be nervously awaiting my nomination for the Nobel prize in Economics now!

Robin

Thread: Runout on a collet chuck?
04/09/2023 00:29:53

I made an ER40 collet chuck register mounted on a commercial D1-4 backplate from scratch. Obviously I machined the taper after the register so it was spot on as machined. Replacing on the spindle nose (with care to observe the original orientation) runout is 0.01 - 0.012 mm on the inside of the taper.

Robin.

Thread: Assembly diagrams - how are they done?
03/09/2023 20:05:46
Posted by Pete White on 03/09/2023 12:15:10:
Posted by Robin Graham on 01/09/2023 22:25:40:

I should have said that I have only Linux machines.

I did see a comment on a 'best 10 CAD programs for Linux' article claiming that Fusion can be used under WINE but from my experiences with WINE I doubt it.

I have FreeCAD but don't get on with it.

Robin.

I have been there smiley.

Have you tried Onshape? Free for us if non profit, web based but not a problem for me, works quick on my simple efforts, not sure about complex ones. Does it for me

Just looked it has an explode feature?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 03/09/2023 12:17:33

Thanks Pete. I've signed up and have started working through their tutorials. Could be ideal!

Robin.

02/09/2023 21:47:34

Thanks for further replies.

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/09/2023 09:09:53:

Fusion running under Wine looks good though. This project is actively supporting it. Lots of ifs and buts though.

The main reason I still have Windows is to run CAD. Like it or loath it, commercial software is almost always written for Windows, then Apple, and just maybe Linux as an afterthought. It's easier to install on Windows and more likely to work.

Wine is good provided the Windows application is a little old fashioned, but not if the code pulls tricks or uses new features.

Dave

I had a look at project on GitHub and it seems that although possible it's not trivial to get Fusion working under Wine. Lots of ifs and buts indeed!

I can (astonishingly) get a refurbished second hand Win 10 machine for £68. 4-core i5, 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM which seems to fulfil the system requirements for Fusion.

I've struggled with CAD for years (on and off, mostly off) and always given up - it's easier to draw by hand. I lit on these tutorials for Fusion and they seem to make sense to me. I don't know if it's the logic of the program itself or the way the guy explains it, but I have new hope.

Robin.

01/09/2023 22:25:40

Thanks for replies and apologies for not acknowledging sooner - I got a bit sidetracked.

I should have said that I have only Linux machines. I was enthused by the video Gary Wooding linked to and went so far as to find a series of intelligible Fusion tutorial videos only to discover that Fusion isn't available for Unix. D'oh! Same for Alibre Atom and the majority of 3D CAD stuff out there it seems.

I did see a comment on a 'best 10 CAD programs for Linux' article claiming that Fusion can be used under WINE but from my experiences with WINE I doubt it.

I have FreeCAD but don't get on with it.

I'll probably end up doing it by hand or not at all.

My Rotrings dried up years ago - as a schoolboy I would submit homework written with a Rotring at perhaps 3pt just to annoy the 'masters'. They couldn't do me for it, nothing in the rules! Nowadays I like Pigma Micron fineliners - lovely pens.

Robin.

Thread: A combinatorial problem.
30/08/2023 21:36:29
Posted by Rod Renshaw on 30/08/2023 14:50:55:

Interesting thread, far beyond my IT knowledge.

Can anything similar be done for sets of angle blocks where each block ( in a stack of blocks ) can be used one way around to add to the total angle or the other way around to reduce the total angle?

Rod

As DC31k says it's entirely possible. The code I've written could be adapted fairly easily. However, it's Linux terminal based so perhaps not friendly to everyone. PM me if you're interested though.

Robin

30/08/2023 21:21:12
Posted by DC31k on 30/08/2023 08:10:00:
Posted by Robin Graham on 30/08/2023 00:22:58:

The whole thing started because I wanted to check my micrometers (0-150mm)

It might be worth sniffing aroung the NPL's literature on metrology. If you are to check a micrometer over, say, a 1" range, there are a number of preferred measurements at which to make those checks.

I do not recall the exact details, but in principle, the 'best' way is _not_ using regular intervals.

Please see here just as an example of a commercial one:

https://mqs.co.uk/mm1-8-micrometer-check-set-with-stand-8-pieces-inch.html

Micrometers have been around a long time and standardised methods have been developed for their calibration. It would be wise to be aware of them as that gives you a rationale for any deviations you make from that method.

Thanks for this - I'll have a sniff around, but more out of interest than for any practical purpose. I imagine NPL are concerned with very high accuracy. I think I'd be fooling myself if I believed that I could measure anything to micron accuracy under normal workshop conditions.

At £395 + VAT I doubt that I'll be buying the MQS set of standards, but thanks for the link!

Robin.

Thread: Dasqua tools?
30/08/2023 20:52:21

I have a Dasqua 75-100mm mic. It seems nicely made - the action is very smooth. Checking with grade 1 gauge blocks it's good to the width of a graduation mark (2 microns?) over its range, so spot-on for practical purposes in a home workshop I'd say.

It's always worth having a look at G&M tools for second-hand measuring equipment. At the moment they have a 100-125mm Starrett mic up for £20 - without setting bar unfortunately, but likely a good instrument.

Robin.

30/08/2023 00:22:58

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 27/08/2023 10:43:09:

[...]

C/C++ and Python are my all time favourite languages. They complement each other delightfully. In this particular case Python easily wins on rapid development grounds.

[...]

Dave

Not being a Pythonite it would have taken me longer to refresh my memory and look around to see what libraries have been developed over the last 20+ years than to code in C. Using John Haine's method it took maybe 45 minutes to code in C - but that includes error checking to avoid the unhelpful 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)' message. Python does a lot of work 'under the hood' I suppose.

Anyhow, I got it working.

The whole thing started because I wanted to check my micrometers (0-150mm) for an upcoming project and when Zoro emailed saying they were upset and hoped a 15% discount might lure me back, I thought to buy some gauge blocks. But what sizes should I get?

This is a bit niche I know, but I found that using John's method it took about 7ms to calculate the 65535 non-zero combinations of 16 blocks, about 22 seconds(!) to order them by bubble sorting and another 7ms to weed out unique values. For the 7 blocks I now have it took 23 microseconds to calculate the 127 combinations, 1 millisecond to sort and 300 microseconds to weed out unique values. That's on an ancient Intel Duo 2 machine.

I now know how to make make 82 unique combinations from seven blocks covering the range I need with no more than a 2mm gap between sizes.

Thanks again for contributions, Robin.

26/08/2023 22:42:44

Thanks for replies. In saying that there are 7 combinations of my three blocks I was deliberately ignoring zero blocks - hence (2^n)-1 rather than 2^n.

When looking about before posting here I did see some Python implementations but it's been too long since I wrote any Python so passed over. This old dog can't even remember old tricks, let alone learn new ones!

I've written a recursive C function which does the job - the problem is well suited to recursive solution - but I wanted to find a non-recursive algorithm.

Posted by John Haine on 26/08/2023 07:12:59:

You have 3 blocks each of which may be in the stack or not. The sum of the heights is

A*10 + B*20 + C*25

where A B and C can be 1 or 0 depending on whether you use that block or not. ABC forms a binary number, which can go from 0 to 7:

000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111

For each you can easily compute the total height and enumerate the possibilities. A 2 minute spreadsheet gives:

0 0 0 0
0 0 1 25
0 1 0 20
0 1 1 45
1 0 0 10
1 0 1 35
1 1 0 30
1 1 1 55

Thanks John. That's a penny-drop moment for me. A very neat way of thinking about it and easily implemented in C. Problem solved I think.

Robin.

Thread: 24V rectifier for lighting.
26/08/2023 21:19:54
Posted by Journeyman on 26/08/2023 08:16:38:
Posted by Robin Graham on 25/08/2023 22:41:24:

... I think the electrics are now sorted and I'm pondering on the mechanics. A gooseneck rather than an articulated design might be good. I was wondering about this item. It's meant for phones/tablets, but some reviewers complain that it's too stiff/strong so maybe OK for this application? Any suggestions welcome!

Robin.

How about a microphone gooseneck. Fairly standard and available in different lengths. Fittings are available for the threaded ends.

[...]

John

Thanks John, they look good. The threaded ends will make life easier. Cheaper too as not paying for the clamps on the phone versions which would have to be chopped off.

Robin.

26/08/2023 00:00:58

I have only three gauge blocks - 10, 20 and 25mm. I use them for checking micrometers. Obviously I can check at 10,20,25 with single blocks, 30,35,45 by wringing two together and 55 mm by wringing all three. So 7 combinations.

Naturally I wonder about enumerating the possible combinations if I had N blocks. From the binomial theorem there are 2^N -1 possible combinations. That's easy enough. But how to actually list them systematically? I thought it should be easy to translate my 3 block example into computer code and generalise, but it's proving harder than I thought.

I had a look around and found:

n%){\,=}+[[]]@1/{`{1$+}+%}%;\,n*

which isn't helpful.

Anyone with a handy algorithm?

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/08/2023 00:02:40

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/08/2023 00:04:32

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/08/2023 00:16:23

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate