By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dave Halford

Here is a list of all the postings Dave Halford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Winter Storage Of Locomotives
04/10/2023 16:33:33
Posted by Dave Halford on 04/10/2023 16:23:55:
Posted by bernard towers on 03/10/2023 18:26:24:

Surely running on worship compressor air would introduce more moisture?

I do indeed have filters on my compressor for that, only £20 or £10 for the decorative ones that sort of work..

I wondered about steel boiler water treatment for the last steam up, but have no idea what that would do to copper boilers

Edited By Dave Halford on 04/10/2023 16:29:46

Speedy

I found leaving the fuel tank cap off on the lawnmower over winter stopped the tank sweating and therefore rusting. Not the same as a small bore pipe though.

04/10/2023 16:23:55
Posted by bernard towers on 03/10/2023 18:26:24:

Surely running on worship compressor air would introduce more moisture?

I do indeed have filters on my compressor for that, only £20 or £10 for the decorative ones that sort of work..

I wondered about steel boiler water treatment for the last steam up, but have no idea what that would do to copper boilers

Edited By Dave Halford on 04/10/2023 16:29:46

Thread: digi phase converter for 10 machines.....
04/10/2023 16:17:58
Posted by Mark Rand on 04/10/2023 13:26:40:
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 04/10/2023 01:58:13:

So they say to use a 71/2 HP inverter for a 2 HP motor i.e. > 3 times de-rating.

Whatever. The voice of hypothesis obviously trumps the voice of experience...

And the voice of hypothesis is of course the voice of the equipment supplier who ought to know what he's selling and why he's saying it.

Thread: Best way of moving milling machine
04/10/2023 09:24:33

Engine cranes sometimes won't go high enough without extending the arm to max and then the capacity drops.

The wheels aren't really meant to carry the weight so they stick a bit, then you push or pull harder and the crane goes with a jerk but the mill lags so everything starts swinging and bouncing.

If you do have to use a pump up pallet truck, overlap your boards if a wheel drops in between the two it won't come out in a hurry.

Thread: Winter Storage Of Locomotives
03/10/2023 12:22:26

Assuming you already finish the year with a hot blow down would not running on air for a while get rid of any leftover water?

Thread: What defines BILLET …
03/10/2023 12:11:57

These days Billet, mostly due to the car modding world usage has come to mean anything not made from a casting, but whittled from the solid. So by extension any old lump of non cast metal becomes a billet, though round and flat bar & sheet have remained the same providing they still look like bar and sheet.

English has a nasty habit of moving on without us innit.

Thread: digi phase converter for 10 machines.....
02/10/2023 15:51:24

Someone once said there was an issue with under-driving a VFD so much. The earth leakage may be huge

If they are all 250v 3ph then a 4hp unit is all you need.

Thread: Upgrading from a Clarke CL300M, where to go?
01/10/2023 12:13:12
Posted by Diogenes on 01/10/2023 07:11:39:

Just out of interest, do the 38mm bore lathes come with comparable chucks? ..most 125mm chucks seem to have a smaller bore size than this..

Now that is a very good point and one that annoys me no end.

Thread: Paint Baking in oven
01/10/2023 12:04:54
Posted by Mike Hurley on 01/10/2023 10:33:48:

There's an article here that may be useful

Baking paint

regards Mike

Mikes link appears to be written by early doors AI for Amazon, in places it sounds like a bad interpreter .

• Add water to thin paint
  • don't bake paint on steel, but alloy is OK
  • Generally, it would help if you only baked paint for small projects to put the painted object inside the oven.

Does anyone know of a water based high temp paint?

You were supposed to bake Sperex for exhaust manifolds to cure it back in the day.

As far as faster goes If you apply heat to wet paint there's a chance you will seal solvents under a hard skin, which will blow the coating off as the trapped solvents expand

Thread: Upgrading from a Clarke CL300M, where to go?
30/09/2023 22:41:13

The motor power is not directly comparable

Thread: Speedo gear size
30/09/2023 21:06:28
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 30/09/2023 19:17:13:

Thanks Clive and Dave.

The speedo does have a serial number and is marked 800 and as its in KPH would be 800 Turns / Km.

The wheels are off the car waiting for brake cylinders, so I will have to wait before counting wheel revs over 100 meters against speedo turns will be one measure and then it will be radiator out, speedo gear out and counting the number of teeth on the speedo drive.

Bob

lifted from the Mini forum

Well, 1 mile = 1.609344 km, so 800TPK would mean 800 x 1.609344 = 1287 TPM

Which has no direct swap though the 1280 is close

30/09/2023 18:06:07
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 29/09/2023 21:17:07:

Thanks Dave, problem is knowing exactly what I have got. It's 44 years since the car left the factory and who knows what has been done to it. Certainly the suspension has been tweaked - its hard rally style suspension, front hubs replaced for disc brakes, gearbox is suspiciously clean etc etc. Still its fun finding out.

Look at the site I linked to

If you input your current wheel size.

Then do as I suggested to get your final drive ratio and input that.

Then try each gear set in turn on the drop down and see if you get a speedo match in the results.

If you are still miles off, try a different wheel size etc etc

Hopefully your speedo will be a match to the rsult

If nothing matches you have something really odd

29/09/2023 17:47:26
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 29/09/2023 06:48:18:

Thanks for all the comments and links. From Michael's link, I think I know what the engine is and correct output ratio of the gear box. Need to see if the TPM is on the speedo next.

Pete did you mean 15 / 16 tooth gear ?

And just for clarity, we are in France with a LHD French marketed mini and KPH. As an aside, during its life, the bolts are now a horrible mix of UNF/UNC and metric combinations - spanner night mare !

Bob

I guess you have seen this already Mini Speedo Calculator, how accurate is your speedometer? - Tom's Mini Site (tomsminisite.co.uk)

Thread: Cost effective DROs for mills
29/09/2023 09:46:46
Posted by Benedict White on 29/09/2023 08:02:36:

Thank you Pete and Nicolas.

Not Done It Yet, no, plenty of people use both Banggood and Vevor.

Yes they do, however if you buy direct from China and you have a failure the return postage is interesting. Buy from Vevor UK and you are covered by UK rules which means you can't buy an inverter drive for a motor any more as they aren't legal, but if you could it would be covered for failure. Their dro were also removed from UK sale for some reason.

It just depends on how big a gambler you are.

Thread: Speedo gear size
28/09/2023 22:33:09

Assuming 4th gear is 1:1 ratio stick it in gear, mark the tyre with chalk, take the plugs out and rotate the flywheel 1 rev and see what the wheel rotations are. That will give you the final drive ratio of your box.

That said all you really need to do is track down the correct gear set for your car and fit it.

Thread: New workshop, advice required!
27/09/2023 19:07:26

There's no harm in Ivy - ALLEDGEDLY

Thread: Ctaract surgery - a few years on
25/09/2023 15:02:09

I put off glasses as long as I could, but eventually my arm wasn't long enough to hold a book and focus on the words.

JD2 you are just lucky with your genetics and you should consider that not wearing sunglasses (most have UV filters as do ordinary glasses these days) exposes you to macula degeneration due to UV damage.

Thread: Warco Major milling machine
21/09/2023 12:39:27

All the above said the old belt drive Major is hard to break, but a pain to shift gear.

Having seen a Major in someone's garage it has to be said it's a big ole thing so check your workspace first.

Thread: U Tube
21/09/2023 12:32:52
Posted by Benedict White on 20/09/2023 20:14:12:

Bazyle, there are all sorts of both YouTube channels and all sorts of viewers. Your approach would suit some but not all. No matter what style of video you do, there will always be someone who loves it and someone who hates it.

"It's too long"

"You missed out key details"

Too long is otherwise known as too much waffle. Just try getting away with that in the workplace.

Some do, usually the difficult bits to achieve or hard to film

21/09/2023 12:23:23
Posted by Benedict White on 20/09/2023 14:47:58:
Posted by Ady1 on 20/09/2023 14:24:31:

youtube stuff needs serious filtering but there are still genuine nuggets amongst the product placement spam

The slicker and more professional canned presentations tend to be the less useful ones

If the guy looks like Worzel Gummidge on a bad day then useful stuff often follows

Have you anyone in mind as Worzel Gummidge?

He comes on here from time to time cheeky

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate