Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Buying online delivery problems.

Mainly ebay

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr26/03/2020 23:40:09
2668 forum posts
352 photos

I just wondered what the implication are about buying items from, as a main example ebay. From a private seller. with postage free, or at whatever the ad price. So unless the person selling has a courier to pick up said item. Technically he cannot go to the post office or courier company to drop your item off.

I am sure you can win the bid or buy it now, but how are you going to get it. I buy a lot from ebay, but just now I am being shy of doing so with the chance I might not get it.

I bought a lot of milling cutters form a private individual. He posted them to the Argos of my choice, (huge mistake on my part). The items were delivered last Friday to the store. Now the store is closed down. I have no items that I have paid for. Hence me being cautious.

It would seem any items from ebay etc at any Argos store that has closed will be returned to sender. I am hopeful that this is the case with my items. The seller has said he has a pickup agreement with Hermes so he will re despatch to my address. Just be cautious. Anyone else had any problems.

Steve.

Edited By Steviegtr on 26/03/2020 23:42:01

Bazyle27/03/2020 00:05:58
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Still a lot of things being advertised as 'collect only'. Kind of dumb as strictly only eligible for people within walking distance who have a hand cart.
Some sellers might agree the sale is concluded with payment of a deposit and pickup when appropriate. Ebay rather slow on the uptake should have brought in procedures to handle this. But hey they get their fees and it's the users problem.

How about if you drive there with a pasty (food delivery) and they include a jam tart (food collection). Or you both meet in a supermarket car park.

Edited By Bazyle on 27/03/2020 00:08:48

Steviegtr27/03/2020 01:04:01
2668 forum posts
352 photos

I think that maybe the only way it would work. But I just wonder how many people are still buying & expecting delivery.

Steve.

pgk pgk27/03/2020 06:47:42
2661 forum posts
294 photos

Our local post office, like many others, is in the local shop so it seems entirely reasonable to post parcels while out to get some milk or the newspaper assuming the seller is prepared to go out at all or indeed really needs supplies. As this bites more folk are finally going to hunker down and ration themselves.

Micky T27/03/2020 08:35:15
76 forum posts
29 photos

I work for Royal Mail and I'm classified as a key worker so still going to work We still have plenty of items coming through infact it is nearly as busy as it is at Christmas.

Post Offices are one of the businesses on the high street that are allowed to stay open under current guidelines so if you order from one of the sellers on eBay that use Royal Mail then you should get your item.

Micky T

Mick B127/03/2020 09:04:59
2444 forum posts
139 photos

When you receive anything, is a wipe with a soapy damp cloth enough? You can't know who's handled it or what precautions they took - or not.

Howi27/03/2020 09:13:35
442 forum posts
19 photos

Buying lots of bits and pieces on ebay, post office delivery seems quicker at the moment, no problems as of now.

As I am now at home 24/7 apart from the daily constitutional in the morning, being in for delivery is no problem.

even had stuff from China!!!!!

Clive India27/03/2020 09:22:39
277 forum posts
Posted by Howi on 27/03/2020 09:13:35:

Buying lots of bits and pieces on ebay, post office delivery seems quicker at the moment, no problems as of now. As I am now at home 24/7 apart from the daily constitutional in the morning, being in for delivery is no problem. Even had stuff from China!!!!!

Yes, me too - with no probs.

Even a PCB by sending files for construction by email, was made and in my hands today in 5 days.

Challenge Norah Doomsberg and the BBC to put a negative spin on that!

Vic27/03/2020 09:39:39
3453 forum posts
23 photos

Yes I’m still getting deliveries of a wide range of stuff.

mechman4827/03/2020 10:45:53
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Royal Mail is still delivering, have had a couple of deliveries via courier ( Amazon & eBay ) plus postings from China. Well done to all delivery staff.

George.

Bob Unitt 127/03/2020 10:58:28
323 forum posts
35 photos

The cautious approach I'm taking came from one of our suppliers (can't remember which). When taking delivery of anything non-perishable (parcel or letter) first put it, still packaged, in an isolated place (I use our porch) for 24 hours, and immediately wash your hands thoroughly. After 24 hours remove the packaging or envelope without (if possible) touching the contents, dispose of the packaging safely, then wash your hands thoroughly again. You are now as safe as you will ever be to handle the contents...

As for the Post Office - our local one is in the Co-op, but is shut anyway for lack of staff.

Edited By Bob Unitt 1 on 27/03/2020 10:59:20

John Paton 127/03/2020 11:14:59
327 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 27/03/2020 06:47:42:

Our local post office, like many others, is in the local shop so it seems entirely reasonable to post parcels while out to get some milk or the newspaper assuming the seller is prepared to go out at all or indeed really needs supplies. As this bites more folk are finally going to hunker down and ration themselves.

PGK

Still creates an unnecessary risk in my view. Too many people are 'trying to get away with it' or failing to understand just what we are trying to achieve.

If you must post items, use disinfected gloves and a 4 day quarantine to ensure packages are virus free but even by going in the shop you risk spreading the virus if you happen to be contaminated. (with this disease you simply don't know if you are)

The longer this goes on the greater the aftermath affect will be on all of us (through loss of those dear to us, to recover lost income and to pay off our share of the National debt)

For now lets focus on minimising interactions and help get this virus under control as quickly as we can.

Oldiron27/03/2020 11:31:50
1193 forum posts
59 photos
Posted by Mick B1 on 27/03/2020 09:04:59:

When you receive anything, is a wipe with a soapy damp cloth enough? You can't know who's handled it or what precautions they took - or not.

Wipe with an antiseptic or mild bleach solution it seems is the recommended fix.

BBC article.

Be safe stay home. regards

SillyOldDuffer27/03/2020 12:41:17
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Despite ordering an hour after the deadline for next day free delivery late yesterday afternoon, the item arrived this morning at 11pm, 5 hours early. I think this is a record, 17 hours from order to doorstep.

Driver left the box by my front door and we had a successful delivery conversation separated by a 5 metre air-gap. He said the roads are much less congested than usual and people are in when he calls.

Re Bob's advice about unpacking, I agree except packages should be left for 72 hours for total security, not 24. (That's how long snotty tissues are to be isolated before disposal as ordinary rubbish.) Not so extreme myself: I unwrap immediately in my utility room and abandon the packaging for later, then wash-hands. Contact with people is the main risk, not packaging.

Dave

Henry Brown27/03/2020 13:28:15
618 forum posts
122 photos

I've been doing exactly the same as Dave, deliveries are getting through on time or slightly ahead here, we have the same Posites who are brilliant. I have lots of material coming in for the Economy engine and a few cutters reamers etc. I've never washed my hands so often, must have been a dirty old bu99er...

Bill Phinn27/03/2020 13:30:26
1076 forum posts
129 photos

Afraid I can't report normal performance levels from Royal Mail in my area, notably for parcels rather than letters.

I've placed 8 mostly small orders with 8 big UK commercial sellers over the last three weeks. One didn't arrive at all, two sent out first class took over ten days to arrive, I'm still waiting for three others between six and nine days after dispatch, one went to the wrong address, and one was only ordered on Tuesday so it's perhaps too soon to be pessimistic about its non-arrival.

I think my local sorting office/postman is the problem. My usual highly prized postman has been doing a different round the last few weeks. Before he left he confided in me that in addition to sustaining an increasingly heavy workload these days he is "carrying" various junior colleagues who can't get their act together. It seems these junior colleagues are now the people delivering my mail - or not, as the case may be.

Bazyle27/03/2020 13:46:08
6956 forum posts
229 photos

"big UK commercial sellers" are probably more affected by staff shortages and perhaps deliver bulk drops to the post office that is either busy or wanting to leave the pile a while to detoxify.

I've had two deliveries of junk mail. I've previously suggested the postie not bother in miserable weather to brush past the water laden shrubs drooping over the path but he says he is legally obliged to and likes the garden in summer at least.

Ady127/03/2020 14:58:19
6137 forum posts
893 photos

I had a meter of hex bar which I thought would be "stuck in the system" but the doorbell just rang and there was no-one there except a long heavy lump, santa must have delivered it

New project can begin...

old mart27/03/2020 18:16:48
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I have had some ebay bought things arrive from China, but an item from this country has not been marked as despatched, so far, even though I ordered it on the 16th of March.

Sparks27/03/2020 20:53:06
34 forum posts
3 photos

I do a fair bit of ordering and dread the post coming with this Covid-19, postmen don't seemed concerned this way, I've been tempted order various sized PCB drills with shanks from China, the last lot served me well... somehow I feel queasy now, any thought's here?

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate