By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Metalworking files - Guidance required please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Lawes09/11/2017 20:29:48
1078 forum posts

In the past I've bought cheaper tools for certain jobs and then found the quality wanting. In the case of metal working files I've got a few scrappy ones but I think I should really invest in some proper quality items before I go starting my next project. So here are the questions...

1. Which metal work file brands do people recommend please? Both budget and for the sort of tools I'll end up handing on to my kids.
  2. When I did my apprenticeship we used a combination of chalk and file cards to keep them from clogging. Is that still accepted best practice for brass, aluminium and cast iron etc?

Any guidance or advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jon.

jimmy b09/11/2017 20:42:07
857 forum posts
45 photos
+1 on file cards. As for files,best you can afford
Jim
JasonB09/11/2017 20:46:26
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Vallorbe have always had a good name, I've also bought a few of the Tome ones that ARC started doing about a year or so ago and they work well for the money.

I also use chalk to stop pinning, sometimes clean with a carding file but a flattened bit of copper pipe works well too.

Michael Cox 109/11/2017 20:56:55
555 forum posts
27 photos

+1 for Tome Feteira files from ArcEuroTrade.

Mike

Vic09/11/2017 21:06:52
3453 forum posts
23 photos

I’ve read quite a few complaints about files made in South America and Spain so maybe avoid those. The best files now seem to be Swiss Glardon Vallorbe but they aren’t cheap.

Robin Graham09/11/2017 21:23:49
1089 forum posts
345 photos

+1 for Vallorbe. I've got some Draper 'engineer's files', which were cheap (like 2 quid apiece) but they didn't work well, even from new, so money down the drain really. £5-10 for Vallorbes seems a bargain to me!

R.

Richard S209/11/2017 21:24:25
237 forum posts
135 photos

If I had to replace, or add to my 40-70 year old Sheffield Steel brands file stock, it would be the Sandvik (Coromant) Brand. You'll get what you pay for in quality and durability. A good set of assorted Swiss Riflers are also handy.

Jon Lawes09/11/2017 21:59:37
1078 forum posts

Thanks for the tips all. I don't think I can quite afford the Vallorbe, I realise you have to pay for quality but I don't actually have enough spare cash for a set of those!

Thank you everyone, further advice still welcomed.

David Standing 109/11/2017 22:03:09
1297 forum posts
50 photos

Most of my recent file purchases have been quality Sheffield made ones, mostly as NOS off eBay, at sensible prices.

Robin Graham09/11/2017 22:14:37
1089 forum posts
345 photos

Do you really need a 'set'? You don't say what your project is, but in my experience buying 'sets' of almost anything is a bad idea. You end up paying for stuff you never use. A lot can be done with a hacksaw and a decent No2 file.

R.

JohnF09/11/2017 23:21:59
1243 forum posts
202 photos

For best quality I use Vallorbe, expensive but I have found they last better than any others and are more precisely made. I also use Bacho which I find great for roughing out, also others of unknown make from exhibition suppliers -- sometimes a bargain to be had !
John

Thor 🇳🇴10/11/2017 05:36:31
1766 forum posts
46 photos

+1 for Vallorbe, I have a few small Vallorbe files and they are very good. I also use Swedish files - Öberg - and some unbranded ones that work well.

Thor

Stuart Bridger10/11/2017 07:26:53
566 forum posts
31 photos

I bought a set of Sandvik Ergo a few years back, still going strong

john carruthers10/11/2017 08:24:34
617 forum posts
180 photos

+1 for Grobet-Vallorbe.
I got one here and there and now have 1,2 3 cut plus a big old dreadnought which eats ally and leaves a superb finish.
This year I intend to acquire some Tome Feteira, see how they compare.

John

SillyOldDuffer10/11/2017 08:49:50
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

May I ask a question of those recommending Vallorbe? Trying to find UK sellers, I found that Vallorbe sell two different ranges of file. Vallorbe SAVER files are competitively priced in the range £4 to £10, others - very similar in appearance - cost about £30 each.

Thing is the web sites I found don't make it clear which they are selling, apart from the price. One lists the expensive range as 'Precision' files. Judging from price many outlets only sell the cheaper SAVER version.

Are inexpensive Vallorbe files better than other brands, or is it essential to buy the expensive ones to get quality?

Dave

robjon4410/11/2017 08:59:05
157 forum posts

May I suggest for ripping into soft materials like thick aluminium sheet & chequerplate the Aven File or a clone, modern form of the dreadnought, if you use the adjuster to curve the blade, reducing the number of teeth in the cut results are spectacular, then return to flat for finishing straight lines, had good results making new larger rear step for campervan this way ( 12 inches to the foot scale )

Bob

Michael Gilligan10/11/2017 09:30:31
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 10/11/2017 08:49:50:

May I ask a question of those recommending Vallorbe?

[ ... ]

Are inexpensive Vallorbe files better than other brands, or is it essential to buy the expensive ones to get quality?

Dave

Dave,

This sort of publication used only to be available in a 'plain brown wrapper'

... but it's available on the web nowsurprise

**LINK**

http://www.vallorbe.com/umv/ch/fr-ch/file.cfm?contentid=5102

MichaelG.

Source: http://www.vallorbe.com/en-ch/products/files/precision-files

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 10/11/2017 09:35:36

Robin10/11/2017 09:34:40
678 forum posts

Many years ago I was told, "Any file will do for brass, but your brass files never touch steel" wink

KWIL10/11/2017 09:35:39
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Further points to remember, when not in use store them apart from each other (hung on cup hook?).

Do not buy at exhibitions where the files have all been jumping about in a box, if they are not separately packed, do not touch them. Bumping about kills the teeth!

larry Phelan10/11/2017 09:39:42
544 forum posts
17 photos

If you think £5/10 is too dear for a quality file,you may be at the wrong game. Good tools do not come cheap,at the beginning,but end up being the cheapest in the long run. How do I know ? been there ,done that,have a box full of junk to prove it !

I,m still using tools I bought 50 years ago,they seemed dear at the time,but now ?.Along the way I was tempted by "bargain" offers [like many of us ],then I got sense and left them alone. A good file is a pleasure to use,while a bad one is a pain-in-the-arse,and sometimes in the hand as well.

You dont need a full set,just two or three to meet most of your needs and add to to them as required.Suppose you spend £50 on your files,how many pints will you buy for that,and how long will they last you ?

£50 over how many years ? No contest ! Go for it and enjoy using proper tools.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate