By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john carruthers

Here is a list of all the postings john carruthers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
12/09/2022 18:33:06

Today my grandson and I spent a pleasant hour in the shed.
"Is a drill like a lathe grandad?"
Well, yes and no.
" how is it different then?"
"Well, a lathe turns the work against a fixed tool....sometimes...except when it doesn't...watch..."
"hmmm"
Then he went out to play in the mud and watch the hens...
(but you could see the wheels turning)

Beginnings are important times.

Thread: pyrex is not PYREX
11/06/2022 13:56:42

quick and dirty test for Pyrex, it has the same refractive index as many vegetable oils.
Immerse it and see if it disappears in the oil.

Thread: Layout tool
03/06/2022 08:15:42

Hmm, shrinkage; as an apprentice I was working in the glass shop cutting glass for customers.
A gentleman came in with the usual bit of paper clutched in his hand and asked for a bit of picture glass which I cut, wrapped in newspaper and duly charged him for (all cash was handled in the office).
An hour later he was back, "you cut this wrong! it's too small".
I fished his paper from the tea chest we used as a bin and checked my size, all correct.
He went off in a huff. Another hour passed, the gentleman returned, this time clutching a fine boxwood and brass rule (you can see where this is going).
"I have been using this rule for 40 years, never had a problem" he proclaimed.
I offered it against the rule I had used to cut his glass and lo! the marks did not correspond. Upon closer inspection we discovered the legend "Shrinkage of Clay" embossed by the makers lozenge on his rule. He was correct, it had worked well in his shed but he'd never had to buy glass before.
He threw it on my bench and said, "You can keep that, I shall buy a standard rule".
and so for years it hung on the wall ready to wind up the unsuspecting, it now resides in my shed.

Thread: Hello from Swansea
20/02/2022 09:20:30

Hi Martin, I'm down the road in Port Talbot.

Thread: What is this?
16/02/2022 08:59:21

As a kid I would earn my pocket money by cleaning my old man's brass , an RM band sergeant, lots of blanco and brasso.
I used various bits of card cut to shape mainly to keep the brasso off me as the various badges all dismantled with split pins and plates behind, or unscrewed.
The pith helmet with its chin strap, Brunswick star and globe on top could take a morning
Picking out the cast brass lettering with a pin

Thread: Run out on bar
11/11/2021 08:45:24

1: First check the runout of the chuck register and also the interior spindle bore.
Meticulously clean the spindle and chuck threads.

2: Try swapping the jaws around into different slots, see which position gives least runout.

Even if you get it close with that diameter bar it may differ at other diameters.

3: get a 4 jaw chuck for critical work.

A 3 jaw scroll chuck may be better or worse, no guarantees.
A 4 jaw can be dialed in.

Thread: Filing machine uses?
08/06/2021 08:22:25

Clickspring uses one for clock wheels and frames.

Thread: Help , can someone provide me with some equations !
30/05/2021 08:52:09

It doesn't apply with your rubric, but a counter weight might simplify the working out?
Like a telescope drive.

Thread: Any views on using Fairy Liquid in a concrete mix
26/05/2021 09:16:03

As a plasterer's mate I used a few drops in a mixer load as a deflocculant to prevent the mix balling.
Mainly happened with dryish mixes like floor screed.
Never used it with concrete.

Thread: Greetings from sunny south wales !
25/04/2021 09:02:04

Hello Noonoo, I moved to Port Talbot a couple of years ago and have more or less organised my shed now.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
02/01/2021 11:03:31

Start the year as I mean to go on, mucked out the shed, made a mandrel to hold a set of mod1 gear cutters, made a couple of trial gears.

Thread: Door stay help
12/08/2020 16:38:23

This sort of thing?

I've fitted many to boats, caravans, greenhouses etc....
toolstation stay

11/08/2020 08:40:55

We would fit 'restrictor stays' as a safety option, mainly on tilt&turn windows on upper floors to avoid people falling through. They are a simple toothed bar that clips onto a stud.
They can be fitted to doors and would give some adjustment to how wide it opens.

Or, how about a damper style restrictor as used on caravans, boats, etc ?

s-l640.jpg

Edited By john carruthers on 11/08/2020 08:56:27

Thread: Stepper Motor Flexible Coupling.
10/05/2020 10:34:59

We have used Oldham couplings for many years in telescope drives using steppers and VFO drives, never had a problem from the antarctic to the equator.
Even using software and encoders to cancel backlash, scope drives are very sensitive to drift as any astrophotographer will tell you where mili arcsec pointing is the goal.

Thread: Air supply to test run steam engine.
08/05/2020 09:00:56

For testing I use either a plastic pipe from the coffee machine steam outlet, or a hand pumped garden sprayer.
An old fridge compressor could be pressed into service?

Thread: Holding glass lens for grinding
27/04/2020 18:36:00

Ingals ATM vol 3 page 35 >

I have them in pdf if you need them.

Edited By john carruthers on 27/04/2020 18:37:01

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
01/01/2020 09:54:03

mini saw blades

Thread: Adhesive to bond metal to glass
01/01/2020 09:21:56

Try your local car dealership, they use a UV bond for attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens.
You could use high modulus silicone mastic but in both cases try to avoid contamination with silicon furniture polish. It is tenacious stuff.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
01/01/2020 09:18:21

I ordered a set of mini saw blades (like slitting saws) from a Chinese supplier on xmas day, they arrived yesterday so I roughed out a 'scape wheel for the clock..

scape wheel.jpg

Thread: Resilient motor mount retaining clips.
22/12/2019 09:09:38

Have you tried high modulus silicone sealant? squirt it into the rings, let it set off.
Lightly grease any parts you don't want stuck.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate