By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Cox 1

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Cox 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverters
03/10/2022 11:22:20

Thanks for all the comments.

The new single phase input RS inverter has the same output characteristics as the three phase version that it replaced.

The motor does not have a name plate.

I do not want to meddle with inverter because I do not understand them in any detail and that is why I am looking for someone competent in this area to check the installation and program it.

Mike

Thread: Galvanitic/electrolytic reaction
02/10/2022 22:17:48
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 01/10/2022 21:35:48:

I'm no chemist (last real chemistry at school, to university entrance level), so could be talking rubbish. I think your suggestions are likely correct, and the presence of metallic copper is the clue. Copper sulphate solution in contact with iron causes copper to be deposited onto the iron. Copper and iron are at different levels in the electro-chemical series, thus, with an electrolyte, make a cell. Your pickling solution was copper sulphate solution. Perhaps, at a nano-scale, metallic copper attached to the iron-containing substrate, and the resulting millions of electro-chemical cells caused accelerated corrosion. Hopefully, a real chemist will tell us what happened.

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 01/10/2022 21:39:19 (typos, and more typos)

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 01/10/2022 21:45:01

Edited By Kiwi Bloke on 01/10/2022 21:45:49

As a qualified chemist I would like to thank Kiwi Bloke for his excellent summary of what is happening in this case. If the acid had been pure and uncontaminated with copper the pickling solution would have been much less agressive to the steel. Sulphuric acid is fine for pickling copper and items can be left to soak for a long time with little attack on the copper. Iron and steel are attacked by dilute sulphuric acid and the rate of attack is greater if copper is present in the solution as the copper plates out one the metal and forms a galvanic couple resulting in accelerated corrosion.

Mike

Thread: Inverters
02/10/2022 21:56:22

A friend has purchased a machine that has a RS inverter with a 3 phase input. He wants to run this machine from a normal single phase supply. He has purchased a new inverter from RS with the same output characteristics but designed for single phase input and this has been installed on the machine. He needs someone familiar with inverters to set the new inverter up and program it correctly. Does anyone one know of an electrician in the Slough, Berkshire area who could do this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mike

Thread: Jobbing Engineering Shop Recommendations - Berks area
30/09/2022 20:21:34

Try Tak Engineering on Slough Trading Estate.

Thread: Cleaning corroded zinc plating
17/08/2022 19:19:26

Ammonia solution (eg household Ammonia) should remove zinc oxide and hydroxide rapidly. It attacks the zinc metal very slowly in the presence of air but the oxide and hydroxide is removed rapidly. Afterwards wash in plenty of clean water.

Mike

Thread: STAN BRAY
21/06/2022 10:24:39

A sad loss. He was an inspiration to me when I first took up machining.

Condolences to his family.

Mike

Thread: Left hand whit studding
15/04/2022 09:15:10

Try:

https://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/

They to an amazing range of studs and fasteners. I have purchased LH studding from them in the past.

Mike

Thread: Is it possible to by "100% non-stick" spatulas for spreading glue? (ideally made from teflon/FEP)
25/01/2022 11:59:33

Just a thought. Why not use a metal scraper and cover it with self adhesive tape ( parcel tape, PVC insulating tape, Tuff tape etc). Use the coated scraper and then wipe of excess. After the curing time of the adhesive just peel of the tape and the scraper is ready to use again.

Mike

25/01/2022 09:36:13

I save the wooden stirrers from Costa coffee for mixing epoxy adhesives. The small tubs of milk supplied with a cup of tea in some cafes I also take home and wash. These make excellent pots for mixing small quantities of Epoxy adhesive.

Mike

Thread: ola (hello) from portugal
21/12/2021 15:49:36

Ola Paulo,

Bem vindo.

This group is full of people that are very helpful. Just ask questions and you will get many answers.

Where in Portugal are you located?

Feliz Natal

Mike

Thread: Unimat 3 lathe motor
29/11/2021 16:34:45

Does the motor rattle if run on the bench and not driving the lathe?

Thread: It would be nice to know........
09/09/2021 10:01:01

I usually run the cutter backwards in order to locate the edge on the material to be machined. Running the cutter backwards does not remove any metal and give a very clear audio indication when the rotating cutter touches the edge.

Mike

Thread: 12 volt motor speed controller
19/07/2021 20:38:18
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/07/2021 17:22:40:
Posted by Michael Cox 1 on 19/07/2021 15:26:56:

I built a power drive for my mill table. This allows slow variable speed for cutting and full speed for the return. […]

That’s very tidy, Mike … thanks for the link

MichaelG.

Given the demise of Maplin : May I ask if this is the relevant module ?

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 19/07/2021 17:27:56

Michael - the speed control module I used MFAcomodrills part number 919D29, see:

https://www.mfacomodrills.com/pdfs/Speed%20regulators.pdf

Regards

Mike

19/07/2021 15:26:56

I built a power drive for my mill table. This allows slow variable speed for cutting and full speed for the return. The cut direction is selectable. The speed control is based on a pulse width modulated speed controller. Full details are here:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-power-feed.html

Mike

Thread: Acrylic as an Insulator
01/07/2021 19:01:36

The only problem with acrylic as an insulator is that it has quite a low softening temperature. This makes it usuitable for situations exposed to heat or where the switch may get hot. In these situation phenolic plastics like bakelite , Tufnol and Paxolin are better as they are much more heat resistant.

Mike

Thread: Death.
09/06/2021 10:59:39

I never met John but I had several conversation with him and received very good advice on machining matter

RIP John

Mike

Thread: Component Suppliers - Recommendations?
31/03/2021 10:34:57

My go to source for electronic components is ESR Electronic Components. Always very helpful and goood delivery.

http://www.esr.co.uk/

Thread: Sieg X3 Tacho
23/02/2021 14:44:05

Clive, I do not know how similar your X3 is to my little X1 mill but I have added a tacho, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-tachometer.html

The tacho unit was supplied with a hall efect sensor but the sensor was too large to fit in a convenient place so a made a simple optical reflective sensor which works well using a reflective strip on the spindle.

Mike

Thread: Chemically cleaning brass - gently
21/01/2021 15:54:54

Nearly all copper and zinc corrosion product will be soluble in household amminia solution. This will rapidly dissolve the corrosion products. Unfortunately household ammonia solution, which used to be a common cleaning agent during most of the 20 th century, is now quite difficult to find although it is readily available via ebay. If you use this wash with water afterwards and then rinse with alcohol (methalated spirit, denatured alcohol) and leave to dry.

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
25/12/2020 12:32:38

Merry Christmas to all. Lets hope that the New Year is better than 2020.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate