By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for jimmy b

Here is a list of all the postings jimmy b has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machinery Handbook
30/08/2023 17:25:25

I treat myself to a new copy every 4 years, usually selling the old one for not much less than the cost of a new one.

I also have 30 edition pdf, which can be found online without too much difficulty

Jimb

Thread: Recommendations sought for a non-shrinking, non-spill oil pot.
12/08/2023 02:55:02

I just hot glued the lids in place after dropping them a couple of times, not had an issue since!

Jimb

Thread: tensile strength of 3d printed Disc
05/08/2023 10:07:51

In my experience, bigger nozzle, thicker walls and increased layer height gives very strop prints.

I've had very strong prints (brackets mainly) using 0.8mm nozzle, 0.5 layer height and 4.8mm walls.

You can further improve the strength with cubic infill, little point going over 40% in my experience.

Good luck.

Jimb

Thread: Creality K1
01/08/2023 19:26:06

I'm really impressed with the print quality. The high speed really needs Creality "Hyper pla" to be successful, I had 4 rolls come yesterday as the results are worth it.

The build quality and Creality slicer are better than I expected.

Overall very happy.

Jimb

30/07/2023 06:36:26

Having used the Creality slicer for a week, I have to say its very very close to Cura.

Having spent years with Cura, I did just want to carry on with it, right now, I'm not missing it!

Jim

22/07/2023 20:13:49

I knew before I ordered that there would be an issue with Cura, having read up on the;'net, but the Creality software did have a slicer for the K1, which was the reason why I ordered.

I had given the new Pursa MK4 some serious thought, but on balance went with the K1 as a core xy printer.

Mrs Jimb did say this afternoon that it's much quieter than she thought, It must have helped showing her youtube clips at maximum volume..........

Jimb

22/07/2023 17:10:37

Ron,

Sadly not the case! I was disappointed at this, having used Cura for years.

There is a massive amount of start code, I was going to create my own Cura profile, but having had an afternoon playing around with the Creality slicer, it's much better than first appearance, so I will stick with it for now.

Done a couple more prints and I'm blown away by the quality of finish, it's better than both of my, much molded, Aldi printers and my Creality CR10 MAX ones I use at work and that is running 6 times faster on the same filament.

The Hyper PLA is good for 12x speed with the same quality.

Jimb

22/07/2023 06:03:22

My new Creality K1 arrived yesterday, been waiting a few months as it was a pre-order.

On the 600mm/s printing is unbelievable! Really impressive quality even at that speed. Not as noisy as I (or Mrs Jim) feared....

Only drawback is having to use the Creality slicer.

Jimb

Thread: Do you need an oil change with less than 10,000 miles in 10 years?
14/07/2023 04:11:43

I change oil and filter on both my cars every year, even though the mileage is less than "recommended". My motorcycles always had a maximum of 6 months or half the "recommended" mileage for oil and filter change.

My theory being that oil is cheaper than engines...

Had a mate that used to boast about his Ford Sierra doing 40,000 miles with out an oil change, saying it was all a con. At 50,000 miles the engine was shagged....

Jim

Edited By jimmy b on 14/07/2023 04:12:47

Thread: Rotary broaching
05/07/2023 21:22:54

I've broached 8mm hex in 303 stainless, it took a lot of pressure, so much it took out the bearings in the tool after 20 parts.

Jim

04/07/2023 17:36:48

What speed are you running?

Jim

Edited By jimmy b on 04/07/2023 17:37:01

Thread: material choice
28/06/2023 17:46:56

I milled a hex on the shaft and 3D printed a handle.

Works well.

Jim

Thread: Titanic submersible
23/06/2023 05:31:54

Fulmer you are a vile person.

Blocked.

Jimb

Thread: An expesive day
10/06/2023 07:02:52

I'd be inclined to change the belt and have the sump off on the "new" engine, just to be sure it's ok

Jim

Thread: First workshop
20/05/2023 17:38:57

Looking good Matt!

Jim

17/05/2023 18:00:05

Matt,

Looking forward to seeing progress on your workshop.

One of my old workshops was a bit smaller than yours, Bisley drawer units are a great way of storing a lot of tools in a small place.

Best of luck!

Jim

Thread: Parallels
14/05/2023 18:42:03

I favour the usual straight ones.

I've got quite a pile (in excess of 300!)of slip gauges that have failed calibration for precision use.

Jim

Thread: Soundproofing my 3D Printer
30/04/2023 16:15:25

Where is the noise coming from?

I changed my noisy fans for silent ones, big improvement.

I've also put TL smoothers on the stepper motors.

The printers sit on 1" thick granite pieces, isolated from the table they sit on by rubber pads. This does stop a lot resonance.

Jim

Thread: Rotary broaching
29/04/2023 20:40:12

HI Neil,

I made one of the Hemmingway rotary broaching tools a few years ago, not used it too much, but have successfully broached 8mm hex's in 30 off stainless steel fittings (304 grade). It did take a lot of force, enough to knacker the bearings, so i would be very wary of external broaching given the surface areas involved.

Jim

Thread: Major flaw in the world of engineering
23/04/2023 06:22:57

I've got a 4 jaw self centring chuck, only every used on square bar.

My regular 4 jaw only gets used for "odd" shaped parts.

99% of the time I use a 3 jaw chuck, with either hard or soft jaws.

I also have an ER40 collet chuck that gets used on production work.

As a skilled engineer with 40 years experience on both manual and CNC lathes, I have never really understood most of the arguments for 4 jaw chucks...........

Jim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate