By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Thor 🇳🇴

Here is a list of all the postings Thor 🇳🇴 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Beavermill Runout
20/09/2023 08:13:26

Hi Antony,

0.11mm runout is a lot more than what I get on my cheap Chinese milling machine. Is the runout the same if you remove the drive belt and rotate he spindle by hand? With the indicator on the taper, how much can you push the spindle sideways with your hand, up or down? This would tell you if there is much play in the spindle, if there is little movement - far less than the runout - you may have a problem with the spindle itself. Is there someone knowledgeable that live near you and cn give you advice? Good luck.

Thor

Thread: SX2P
11/09/2023 09:20:49

Hi Steve,

I run a 30mm dia. cutter with the APKT inserts that Jason mentions, on my old Sieg X2. It works as long as you take light cuts.

Thor

Thread: Runout on a collet chuck?
03/09/2023 16:55:51

Hi Andrew,

I have a ER-32 collet chuck for my milling machine that is around 0.01mm TIR, the one I made for my small lathe is around 0.02mm.

Thor

Thread: New User Looking for Equipment
29/08/2023 19:01:34

Hi Matt,

If you can find a Colchester Student in good condition you will get a good lathe. I have a Chinese 290 lathe and it has served me well for a decade, don't know if that would be within your budget. A friend of mine has a Sieg SX-3 and is very satisfied with it.

Thor

Thread: Counterbore as facemill?
26/08/2023 07:13:22

Hi Colin,

Nice find, why not try one of the larger counterbores and see how it works as a face-mill.

Thor

Thread: Beginners First Mill
22/08/2023 07:53:12

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. A Warco WM16 (with R8) should be within your budget, remember you also need either some collets or a collet chuck. A milling vice is also handy.

Thor

Thread: When boredom overtakes, make something, anything!
17/08/2023 08:28:39

Well, I think a drill sharpening jig is useful. I use a drill sharpening jig I bought decades ago, it works - sort of.

Thor

Thread: What Paint
12/08/2023 16:30:12

Hi Harry,

When painting galvanised steel proper cleaning/degreasing with for instance an alkaline cleaner is the first step. Make sure the rail is dry before the next step. Next a primer for zinc coated steel, then paint using for instance an acrylic-latex exterior paint or an oil-based paint. You may want to let it dry and apply a second coat.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 12/08/2023 16:30:50

Thread: Gear head vs variable speed lathe
11/08/2023 14:57:00

Hi Chris,

The GH600 has a larger swing than the WM250 so you could turn a slightly larger pulley on the GH600 if that is important to you. The GH600 has a slightly larger range of pitches for screw-cutting and is heavier so if you can live with a bit more noise and get it into your workshop - go for it.

Thor

Thread: 1950 Myford
30/07/2023 18:30:27

Hi Vojislav ,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with your ML7. The subject was discussed in an earlier thread - here.

Thor

Thread: Greetings from the North
27/07/2023 09:07:27

Hi Tim,

An orrery sounds like a fairly complex project, good luck. I have only made model steam engines.

Thor

27/07/2023 07:17:41

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations with your Colchester. What are your main iterests?

Thor

Thread: Electric motor
26/07/2023 07:25:37

Hi Jonti,

Welcome to the forum. ARC sell spares - including motors and controllers - for their machines, may be you could find something suitable there. IIRC the smallest motor is 150w (for the C0 or C1), next is 250W (for the C2). These are brushed DC motors. The SC2 has a brushless 500W DC motor, may be larger than you need.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 26/07/2023 07:26:08

Thread: Quick change tool post and ball cutting
24/07/2023 07:31:05

Hi Mrgaret,

If you have a boring head with replacable shank you could make a new cylindrical shaft and a suitable toolpost-holder, something like this. Several descriptions of how to make one on the Internet;

***Link***

***Link***

Thor

Thread: Sourcing a small, 1/2" bore pulley for a Mini Lathe (Flexispeed Mk1)
17/07/2023 14:02:50

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. It seems RDG has 2.5" Aluminium pulleys with 1/2" bore, unfortunately the groove is rather wide but it might get your lathe up and running.

BearingShop YK seems to be able to deliver 50mm pulleys (SPZ) and let you determine the bore size.

Thor

Thread: Screw cutting on a Stringer EW lathe
16/07/2023 19:22:28

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the forum. There was a thread on the forum about the Stringer EW lathe, see here.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 16/07/2023 19:26:02

Thread: 2 pole or 4 pole for Myford ML7R
13/07/2023 18:05:25

Hi Chris,

I converted one of my lathes to 3-phase 4 pole motor, using an inverter to supply the 3-phase. The motor I bought can run at both 50Hz and 60Hz so running your motor at a higher frequency than 50Hz should not be a problem. I regularly run my motor over 60Hz, and after more than a decade I have had no problems. A 4 pole motor should be able to give more torque than a 2 pole as long as you don't turn the frequency too high.

Thor

Edited By Thor 🇳🇴 on 13/07/2023 18:09:42

Thread: Hello from North Wales
06/07/2023 11:18:35

Hi Gareth,

Welcome to the forum. Nice hammer.

Thor

Thread: Colchester Chipmaster
01/07/2023 17:20:14

Hi Steve,

Will this be of help?

Thor

Thread: Small Milling Machines
28/06/2023 07:29:53

Hi Grant,

Welcome to the forum. My first milling machine was a Mini-Mill, similar to this. It worked and is still working even after nearly two decades of (ab)use. It is a bit small and I still use it for light work. I mostly use a somewhat larger machine - similar to this. The larger machine can take heavier cuts and is the machine I mostly use for milling. I would recommend a larger milling machine if you have room for it in your workshop.

Thor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate