Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Cheaper Oxy acetylene source?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Tinsley01/06/2017 12:56:56
1817 forum posts
2 photos

My 5 year contract with BOC will soon expire. Last time I renewed they wanted £800! Some time ago there was a thread about alternatives. It soon got hijacked with mig welding gases.

So is there anyone doing oxy acetylene cylinders, without BOC's rip off prices? I live between Leicester and Peterborough, so a fairly local depot would be nice !

Regards,

Andrew.

MW01/06/2017 13:08:24
2052 forum posts
56 photos

I'm not sure how big the welding is you like to do Andrew, but I find that although I want the benefits of gas welding, I don't want the fuss of having to store big acetylene and oxygen cylinders, the former being one of the hottest burning fuel gasses in the world!

So I bought the small welding kit sold by CuP for a few hundred notes, but it's perfect for me because I already have propane and I use it for small jobs, MAPP gas being a much safer gas to have around, and not so much of it in smaller disposable canisters that you can buy again from them, I'm still on my first after 6 months or so.

**LINK** (Oxyturbo set halfway down the page). 

Again, it may not be relevant to your cause but it's just what I use, no connection to them whatsoever, other than being a customer at least.

Nice to hear from you again!

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 01/06/2017 13:10:11

JasonB01/06/2017 13:38:36
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Michael, any chance of a photo of the welds, I had always thought these sets were not upto welding well not unless you include lead burning in that. Cup don't seem to say it can be used for welding?

Ian S C01/06/2017 13:54:05
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Don't know anything about MAPP gas, but I have used LPG and oxygen both for brazing and cutting, but although LPG and oxy has more heat, it does not has sufficient temperature to weld steel.

Ian S C

MW01/06/2017 14:16:58
2052 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by JasonB on 01/06/2017 13:38:36:

Michael, any chance of a photo of the welds, I had always thought these sets were not upto welding well not unless you include lead burning in that. Cup don't seem to say it can be used for welding?

Sorry i'm using weld out of context, I've actually hard soldered, I can show pics of that but not true welding I suppose.

I needed to fix a lampshade where the ring had come off it, so I cut out a mild steel ring with square two lugs, which I rolled each of into a tube shape with some pliers, little gap left at the top for solder and around the sides, fits beautifully now.

My propane burner flame would've been too hot (over a large area, because the nozzles are chunky) and burnt the material, which I covered to protect it. The little flame was perfect for it and very hot.

I have used it to cut through (gas axe) 3mm mild steel, you need goggles for that though and it works. So I presume it could weld?

Could even put up a video if I knew how and show you it cutting through a piece of scrap! 

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 01/06/2017 14:22:02

Russell Eberhardt01/06/2017 16:11:42
2785 forum posts
87 photos

Liquide air sell bottles outright, no rental charges, at least they do here in France. Leroymerlin in Calais will sell you a pair of 500l bottles with torch, regulators and trolley for €499. It's a long time since I bought refils but I think they were about €50 each.

Worth enquiring of Liquid Air in the UK. Failing that, make a trip across the channel before Brexit!

Russell

duncan webster01/06/2017 16:23:23
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Not a lot of use perhaps as situated in North west, but this company does bottles with no rental

**LINK**

might be worth a phone call they might know someone in your area

Antony Powell01/06/2017 17:01:50
147 forum posts
19 photos

There are several companies around that do Oxy / and a fuel gas similar to acetylene with a good temp, you pay a one off fee for the bottle about £70 I think, then you pay for the gas initially and then when you need it refilled.

I've been using it for a couple of years and can't tell the difference except in my pocket where around £30 a month doesn't come out on rental. saved a fortune as I don't use that much gas....

http://www.sgsgases.co.uk/oxy-acetylene

will post prices i my supplier calls me back

Tony

Andrew Tinsley01/06/2017 19:55:43
1817 forum posts
2 photos

Hmm, seems to be a NO as I suspected. I have had oxy acetylene for almost 50 years now and you just cannot beat it. None of the other oxy fuel gas systems comes anywhere near, for the sort of work I do.

It almost seems worth going to France on a day trip, anything is better than £800 rental and now probably in excess of £1000 at next renewal. The BOC B%%%%%%s even charge you a hefty "Handling Fee" even when you pick it up from the depot!

Seems they just want to discourage people like me!

Andrew.

JasonB01/06/2017 20:04:43
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Have you tried Hobbyweld they do it, can search site for a local agent

clogs01/06/2017 20:06:06
630 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Andrew, look up "Hobby Gas" ,

they have stockist all over the UK....Usually tool Hire Center's......the last bottles I got we're £50 deposit (refundable anywhere with the reciept).......after that u just pay for the gas........and you can get them refilled at any agent anywhere in the UK......

They do all the gas's u need CO2, oxy, accet, Argon......they are smallish say 8-10" dia about 30odd inches tall.....

they advertise in all the old car/bike magazines.......

I'm very happy with thier service's......... clogs........

Maurice Taylor01/06/2017 21:01:30
275 forum posts
39 photos

Hi,try www.gas-direct.co.uk This company is based between Newark and Grantham just off A1. I rent an argoshield bottle from them at a cost £6 a month

KWIL01/06/2017 21:08:38
3681 forum posts
70 photos

air liquide albee for non rental.

Gray6201/06/2017 21:22:25
1058 forum posts
16 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 01/06/2017 16:23:23:

Not a lot of use perhaps as situated in North west, but this company does bottles with no rental

**LINK**

might be worth a phone call they might know someone in your area

Beware of this company, although they advertise 'no rental' when you read the small print, the 'rental' charge is based on a sliding scale dependant on the length of time you have had the bottle in your possession. in the end, if you are a low volume user you can end up paying rather more than you would wish. I would recommend AdamsGas over these people, based on first hand experience.

Edited By Graeme W on 01/06/2017 21:23:20

Nicholas Farr01/06/2017 23:00:55
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by Michael-w on 01/06/2017 14:16:58:
Posted by JasonB on 01/06/2017 13:38:36:

Sorry i'm using weld out of context, I've actually hard soldered, I can show pics of that but not true welding I suppose.

snip

I have used it to cut through (gas axe) 3mm mild steel, you need goggles for that though and it works. So I presume it could weld?

Could even put up a video if I knew how and show you it cutting through a piece of scrap!

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 01/06/2017 14:22:02

Hi Michael-w, gas welding and gas cutting are quite different from each other. In gas welding the temperature has to be high enough to melt the area you are welding. In gas cutting the metal does not reach (or at least it should not) even close to the temperature of melting the metal, the process works on oxidation, i.e. the metal is heated to a red heat, whereby it is readily oxidized by the oxygen stream and the pressure of the oxygen stream blows the oxidized metal away. Try it on a bit of cast iron and you will find it does not work at all very easy, that is because cast iron does not oxidize as readily as steel.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 01/06/2017 23:04:53

John Stevenson02/06/2017 08:57:08
5068 forum posts
3 photos
+1 for gas direct although I don't rent acetylene
1/2 size oxygen is ?4.25 rental pm
?7.00 to refill but ?10 delivery charge. I don't mind that as I can't get to Newark for a tenner.
Full size MiG andTiG bottle's which incidentally are larger than BOC or AirProducts are ?5.00 rental
They used to buy bulk gas from Air Lifquiede until Energas who is the UK agent, put the spoke in. They now buy direct from Italy, who also supplies Air Liquide so shows what a cartel the whole game is
JohnF02/06/2017 10:09:26
1243 forum posts
202 photos

Hi Try these people if there is a stockist close to you, they are part of Air Liquide I have used them for some time and find it fine. Same as Andrew my contract with BOC came to an end and did not want to pay the high charges for only relatively occasional use -- cylinders lasted me around 2 years. I also bye Argon etc from the same outfit.

**LINK**

Antony Powell02/06/2017 12:15:43
147 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Andrew

Used to carry out gas welding, cutting, heating or brazing, acetylene primary flames reach 3100°C whereas Profuel is a little lower at 2950°C this compared to propane at 2600°C makes a big difference. The Profuel secondary flame burns twice as hot as acetylene and is a much safer gas to use.

However as this is a different gas we suggest end users adjust their settings and strongly recommend our range of Pro Fuel specific nozzles, which give the very best results.

Does 150 c make that much difference, I braze, solder, weld and cut steel, weld aluminium, solder silver and stainless etc and haven't noticed any significant difference.

Tony

Russell Eberhardt02/06/2017 15:11:45
2785 forum posts
87 photos

Does anyone know what exactly Profuel gas is?

Russell

John Hinkley02/06/2017 15:52:53
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Just a quick heads-up for anyone tempted to cross the channel for a cheap welding set. You aren't allowed to carry gas bottles on the channel tunnel though I assume caravan sized ones are exempted. Can't say what the ferries allow as I never used them, but I suspect their restrictions are along similar lines.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate