By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Stevenson

Here is a list of all the postings John Stevenson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: T5 pulleys are rubbish
16/09/2017 13:01:33

You need HTD5

Thread: A cheeky/optimistic request - 7/8 20 tpi die?
13/09/2017 19:27:39
Posted by David Standing 1 on 13/09/2017 19:03:26:
Posted by Symon on 13/09/2017 19:00:06:

Would it not be weird to have a unf/unef thread on a late 50s UK machine which uses Whitworth for the most part?

If it is a British machine, yes! smiley

Once you get above a certain size you get an alternative of 20 from the normal 26. Pedal threads have always been 9/16" x 20 RH and LH

Chances are that I do have one, I have a full set up to 1" in RH and LH threads but I can't check as I'm off work for a while.

Can you use a thread file or at worst a small triangular file

Thread: Motor for Chester Champion Mill
13/09/2017 11:05:32
Posted by not done it yet on 13/09/2017 08:07:52:

article in MEW on how to replace the horrible DC motor on your Chinese mill...

Or one on why not to buy machines with these cheap motor/control board type machines because it will likely be a case of (for the motor/control of board) of buy cheap, buy twice... or thrice ...or...

There must have been more than enough failures to demonstrate the poor quality of design, sizing or whatever.

It's already been addressed by the introduction of the brushless motor with shed loads of safety features to prevent burnout.

But hey guess what the deep pocketed tight arsed punters reckon its too expensive and so insist on buying the older generation DC package where they have had to cut corners to meet a price.

12/09/2017 22:17:25
I think you will find that if if has a pot on it, then the motor is permanent magnet
600W DC motor.

And as such has no caps or centrifugal switches
Thread: Renzetti 1-2-3 blocks
08/09/2017 16:01:55
Posted by XD 351 on 07/09/2017 15:51:08:

My set of JS blocks (or copy of them ) don't get much use as they are not on spec or a matched set , one comes up 25x50x75 the other is 25x50x75 and a little bit but fortunately the little bit is oversize and can be fixed or could be if i had a surface grinder .

Edited By XD 351 on 07/09/2017 15:54:30

A very bad copy then as I never designed any 25-50-75 blocks wink

08/09/2017 16:00:19

I have it from a good source that the reason behind the two sizes of blocks is that both are smaller than the standard 1-2-3 blocks which are too big for most model engineers vises.

Secondly they are made and DO bolt together, something the last 10 years worth of production 1-2-3 blocks cannot do as someone left the plain holes as tapping sizes when they got copied in China and India.

Thread: J A Radford; Improvements and Accessories For Your Lathe
08/09/2017 15:53:31

Glad to see Radford getting some recognition at long last.

He's always walked in GHT's shadow when in fact he has far more innovative than GTH ever was.

GHT's claim to fame was bling and appealing to the mirade of OCD model engineers out there.

JAR was the thinking mans GHT.

Thread: Are these Soba's really good quality?
08/09/2017 15:49:20

What you need to remember about Soba is that it's only an Indian trading name , much like Vertex from Taiwan.

Soba buy in from whoever is the cheapest at the time so for example a vise bought one month will come from a different supplier than one bought a month or two on with variable quality control.

Like most things it's all cost related and some of these very small and cheap rotary tables for instance can be best described as fit for purse as opposed to fit for purpose.

Thread: The domestication of Laser Cutters
02/09/2017 11:38:33

Tony,

I have one of these, had it for about 5 years now and it's worked flawlessly in a semi industrial environment.

I must admit that I use mine for engraving on stainless mainly, such as this.

02/09/2017 10:54:47

Tony,

These are the first 'useful' entry market models. Having said that they are not without problems having cut so many corners.

Do a Google on K40 laser problems

Thread: What's wrong with the tooling
27/08/2017 13:25:09

No slap needed, just a full ban - you have been warned

Thread: What Material for 5C collet Rack
21/08/2017 09:54:16
Clive,
I follow certain posters on this board and take them seriously, you are one of them.
But MDF dust from a preformed hole like Jason has shown?
I never took you down as OCD to any extent.
Jason outperforms most on here in terms of skill and output but doesn't seem to suffer the dust problem.
Would it be a problem to seal the hole with a wipe round the inside with a smear of petroleum jelly?
Thread: Lidl / Aldi Invertor MMA Welder
19/08/2017 10:37:50
Did anyone buy one and what is the concensus please?
Thread: Boxford Lathe Big Bore Conversion
14/08/2017 09:17:11
Quite where it all fits in I'm not sure how to do it but my Orac has a completely new version of the headstock with D1-3 fitting
Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread (2017)
11/08/2017 21:51:54
Murray, when you bought that load off BT40. Tooling off me didn't you grab the bolt on fixture off the end of the CNC Beaver?

Check your pm for one from me please
Thread: PCB CNC
03/08/2017 07:24:46
Have a look up at the one sold by Banggood and demonstrated by Myford Boy. On you tube
Not as class as Joseph's but quicker to obtain and a damn sight cheaper
Thread: Choice of avatar
02/08/2017 12:56:48
We have had 9 oldenglish sheepdogs. All from rescue centres.

I'd NEVER buy from a breader as they make things worse

Battersey dogs home currently say they have 82% of staffies out of all other breeds
Thread: Do people want metric horizontal mill tooling?
01/08/2017 23:27:30
Try eBay for cutters bags of them.

I listed so. 6 />Chucked a load
eBay 4 - 6and got. No bids

Took them. Down to the scrap yard. And threw them. In a skip of their own

Edited By John Stevenson on 01/08/2017 23:33:45

Thread: What sort of parallels are these?
01/08/2017 20:49:52
Most probably home made by an apprentice
Thread: Hydraulic piston seal
30/07/2017 02:25:09
Put plenty back just using new seals
The piston is well undersize ad is only a guide
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate