By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Antony Powell

Here is a list of all the postings Antony Powell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Drill Doctor 750SP
05/01/2019 13:29:54

Yes I have one and it works fine.

just follow the instructions until you get used to it and way you go....

there are lots of settings to adjust but it is simple to use.

Tony

Thread: Argon gas
09/04/2018 09:41:30

This is from the opening page of the sgs site........

RENT FREE WELDING GAS

THERE'S NO RENT ON OUR GAS BOTTLES

SGS Gases do not, and never will charge rental on our cylinders! We charge a cylinder deposit that is 100% refundable, forever! You can keep a cylinder 50 years and not be charged a penny more than the cost of our gas, when you return the cylinder we will always give you your full deposit back!

So that answers the question of a loss of deposit !!

and they have dealers in Fort William, Inverness and Elgin

also loads along the east coast....

Tony

Edited By Antony Powell on 09/04/2018 09:44:08

Edited By Antony Powell on 09/04/2018 09:44:58

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
28/03/2018 09:44:39

Unfortunately the likes of B&Q source the cheapest possible wood which is usually rushed through the drying process and then poorly stored.

I only use their timber in an out of hours emergency as I am yet to find any thing straight on their shelves.

I find the local tmber yard far superior and usually cheaper.....

Thread: Which Type of Hyraulic Press?
21/03/2018 21:47:18

The main issue with the jack operated type press is the bulk of the jack body getting in the way when setting up, The specific cylinder type is far smaller and thus is easier to see past, otherwise stability is simply down to the design / make...

Thread: Burglar alarm
19/03/2018 09:55:19

My brother had an ex military dog that had failed it's exams !!

When the house was broken into the dog took a large piece of flesh out of the burglars bottom....the police followed the blood trail in the snow to the burglars house at the other end of the street.

best bit was the burglar sued my brother for having a dangerous dog (even though he broke into its home) at court the military turned up and informed the court that it did not have any authority over the dog as, ex military trained animals never go off duty, and as such the dog was doing what it was trained to do.......case dismissed.

never got burgled again

Thread: Life time supply of shim!
04/02/2018 09:05:02

It's called a sniping tool, free / very cheap and easy to use, available to anyone.

Just bids in the last few seconds so it basically has the last bid

you win if your last bid is the highest.

Thread: Vertical bandsaw
28/12/2017 12:28:04

Not sure of your price range but I have this and find it excellent at accurate cutting

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-bs11-inv-bandsaw-508476

Thread: What people throw out amazes me
24/12/2017 12:23:20

Regularly take 5-6 one ton dumpy bags full of grass cuttings and leaves etc from my garden in the summer (1.5 Acres)......free - cos they recycle it and sell it as compost

or i could have a small green waste bin £30 per annum would need about 20 of them emptied onece a fortnight (stink to high heaven as it decomposes and attracts Fly's.

Two broken roof slates £7.50 - took them home and put them in the general waste....free

local paper "it costs £3000 to clean up each fly tip"

local recycling center now open 10am - 4pm 6 days not Wednesday, small single axle trailers ok, larger twin axle only at restricted times, larger private vans need permits yet see loads of small sign written trade vans in there without

complicated or what !!.

Surely it would be cheaper and easier to open the tip longer hours and allow anyone in up to 3.5 ton's

and they wonder why fly tipping has gone through the roof around here.........

Edited By Antony Powell on 24/12/2017 12:32:01

Thread: A listing of potential helpers
12/12/2017 10:46:29

I'm all for it, could offer use of fully equipt workshop facilities and workshop machinery in exchange for some guidance / training

Thread: propane brazing
27/11/2017 08:38:39

"don't use acetylene but propane as acetylene is not allowed on site"

Never heard that one it's usually just cost propane is far cheaper (unless you're outside the UK then i wouldn't know, never been told this on any site I have and do work on ever...)

Thread: Article Suggestion "White Elephant & Why"
16/11/2017 15:26:28

1) Doesn't actually do what I thought it would.

2) Don't actually need to do what it does

3) Can't accommodate it on my machine

4) Doesn't suit the way I work

5) Needs a bunch of other (expensive?) stuff to be really useful

The wife says 4 of the 5 apply to me, but she's working on number 3

Tony

Edited By Antony Powell on 16/11/2017 15:27:13

Edited By Antony Powell on 16/11/2017 15:28:58

Thread: A model engineer gone wrong?
15/11/2017 16:17:48

One of the latest "weapons" is a vehicle being driven into a crowd as we have recently seen in the UK

Are they going to ban the owner ship of these.....

Oh yes but only if it's diesel powered !!!

Thread: If I can find the extra funds would they be welt spent ?
09/11/2017 18:02:13

Hi Gary

Having recently gone through the same and viewing a load of s*** all over the country dealers included I ended up with a Runmaster 330 from Axminster tools http://www.axminster.co.uk/machinery/lathes/engineering-lathes.

Excellent service and no regrets, Highly recommended and a 3 year on site warranty

And the training courses they do are excellent as well Bob the instructor is Brilliant

check em out it won't cost you a penny online

Tony

PS where are you I be happy to show you mine......

Edited By Antony Powell on 09/11/2017 18:03:57

Thread: Pro's and con's with a small verticle mill
08/11/2017 12:50:10

As with all small machinery everything is a compromise eg small size = limits in accuracy, limited travel, limited size of table space, limited power etc

Thread: Always check how big your purchase is
01/11/2017 17:11:00

My son once purchased some filters for his pond on e-bay

When we collected them they were 10 times the expected size and filled the back of a large van sticking out of the back doors !!!

Thread: Spring is in the air
12/10/2017 10:00:25

have a look in Halfords they sell the multi item various size boxes (may be too big though)

Thread: Tracing an electrical fault
12/10/2017 09:58:05

You need to start with a decent multimeter,

without this you won't get far, a cheap £5.99 one isn't up to a fault tracing job.

it can send you round in circles very easily.

then proceed as above.

Thread: Diesel sales down 21.7%
09/10/2017 17:21:23

What is it Donald trump says Diesels don't kill its Diesel drivers that kill or was it something about guns - It's all a blur

Lets just Nuke North Korea and be done with it !! (whoops Donald again, it's gone all blurred)

Climate change we don't have that in America - worst tornado's on record this year already

06/10/2017 17:01:54

I'm sure your motor is services as it is required its the idiots that don't service their vehicles that are the problem.

As for large ships they all have to be converted to run on Diesel as crude is to be banned or so i read somewhere

06/10/2017 08:43:23

As with a lot of things lack of maintenance is a big issue, people insist on skipping services or only having one service when the MOT is due regardless of miles covered or how it's driven.

Dirty air filters and lack of oil changes makes diesels (and petrol's) pollute far more than they should !!

saying that so called pollution free electric vehicles are the future for personal transport. (depends upon how the charging electric is generated)

car drivers have always been the easy target yet airlines are allowed to pollute far more in a day than all cars do in a year (roughly)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate