By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for clogs

Here is a list of all the postings clogs has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: digi phase converter for 10 machines.....
04/10/2023 16:21:05

originally thought one machine was 5HP but it is def 4......

as for the supply cables from the pole there are 5 cables wound / twisted around each other and after going up to look each cable is almost as thick as my index finger.....alowing for double insulation it is still a heavy cable.....

the elec supply ends at my house *it's the last pole*...

what's there now is five tails with ony 3 connected and what looks like a 4mm'ish x 3core cable that drops down from the pole to the outside meter box....10m distant from the pole.......

cannot see any difference in my supply cables 5 core twisted as to whats used at a couple of local small industrial units.....

perhaps I'm wrong but I thought it would be straight forward to replace the orig supply 3 core cable for a 5 core cable plus a new meter....plus the new junction box and their sealed mains fuse/rcd or mcb ...??

happy to learn if I'm wrong......

so the cost for that at €12,000 seems like a con.....on occ you get local prices and foreigner prices tho.....

thanks again still studying.....

an old industrial elec freind who's no longer here said that 3 phase is a black art......mmmmmmm

03/10/2023 07:23:51

Thanks for the reply's...got some reading /studying to do.......

Just to add, at viewing of my new house the agent was asked to get a rough quote over the phone for a 3phs connection as it was the deal breaker.....

a 1000euro's was I thought very fair......see below....

when asked for a written quote once purchased it was 12,000euros.....

now the crazy thing is the supply pole is 10m from the meter and all the wiring is overhead...it has 6 huge wound wires that is the 3phase supply.....

Oh and right now were paying €2,20.per liter for D fuel......and a well used silent genny has just been advertised localy at over €6,000.......so thats a non starter, if you pardon the pun......

agin many thanks........

02/10/2023 14:27:12

i cannot get 3phs from the elec supplier at my property....unless I pay £12,000's..

I have 10 x 3 phase machines to wire up in a new workshop....biggest is 4HP......

NOTE :- only using one at a time in this hobby shop.....

Looked at building a rotary unit but too complicated....and prob end up with as much money in it as a digi unit.....plus all the headaches.....?

I would buy a prebuilt rotary if one was available privately tho.....it just has to be plug n play...almost.....not bothered about new......

anyway,

I'd like plug n play so started looking at a Digi unit.......machines wired up via a perm ring main around the workshop....I do not want to plug in and out everytime I need a machine esp off an ext lead.........

I have a 45amp x 240v supply at the mo but could be upgraded I guess.......

There's massive overhead wires at the supply pole.....

I'm thinking I need a unit that will handle 20Hp for safety/ overload/ future proofing......

looking on eBay, the cheapest 20 horse unit made in Korea at £600 and a UK made unit at £4,500.....

There's also 15HP unit from China at £1400.......

I know u get what you pay for but the Brit made unit is way overpriced I feel....even if gold plated........

I'd still go for a 20HP unit even if it was to big, just to save a few bob/squids......

I live abroad and there's no warrenty cover prob on what ever I buy.....

Anyone done this and any recomends.......?

there's no way I'd put VFD's or single phase motors on these machines ....just too much money and too many of them.......

thanks.....hope this makes interesting reading....it cant just be me.....?

Thread: moving a 1250kg bridgeport clone
23/09/2023 16:38:23

my B/P on a frame/chassis so that I can move it around carefully with a pallet truck........

allong with all my other machines......

my wood saw weigh\s 2 tons and thats stays wherever it's put.....lol...

no idea now on how to post a photo anymore.......it's been a while....

Thread: Old bearings never die...
04/09/2023 07:14:26

an almost impossible task to obtain original bearings I'd say///////

i wonder how many got scrapped in the past......?

on the subject of unobtainium......

anyone got/knows of a frame and forks for a 1930's four cylinder Indian m/cycle.......

or any other stuff...been trying to get mine ready for the road for 40 years.......lol........

Thread: Compressor question
04/09/2023 07:06:10

this looks like a commercial machine that hardley ever switches off....old style......

not sure about the electric side of things but the big fitting on the bottom of the copper pipe looks like a non return valve.......

a standard on/off pressure switch, the hiss u hear when it shuts the motor down is unloading the pressure from the comp down to the non return valve.....

that way the motor will start without pressure in the system......

personally I'd try a new type switch.....less tha £20.....

just have to get a couple of new fittings so that u can use the switch and the saftey valve from one tank fitting / port....

the small pipe are the unloader valves.....won't be needed with the new switch.......

nice old machine either way.....

Thread: The crumbly concrete problem
03/09/2023 08:32:45

the US put out and alert for a roofing concrete used in public building of the eighty's........

Wythenshawe council did nothing for years until a child was hit or nearly when a big lump fell out of the roof of the local swimming pool......

they had just spent 100's of tousands upgrading it......

stayed empty for a few years before demolition......

Have heard in maj construction like bridges etc they are now using ST/Steel rebar.....????.

when u drive around look at the conc bridges etc.....most have at least a meter of Bitumen painted at the bottom...

To help protect them......

a good salt water soaking does them a lot of harm......

Mind it keeps the money flowing to those at the top of the gravey train.........

Thread: SCRAP - Seeking Unwanted Windscreen Wiper Motor
30/08/2023 06:52:04

I'm sure there's gotta be a truck breakers there....

Thread: Soluble cutting oil just floating on water
06/07/2023 14:27:35

I took out a second mortgage to buy 25ltr of Q8 sol oil years ago….no idea on current prices…

It's almost gone now…..

during that time I bought a deep stored MYFORD S7 and VMF mill ? also by MYFORD…..

both are as new with delivery /storage wax on them…..

So no way am I gonna let sol oil near them…..

I'll be using Hydraulic 46 oil from now on as coolant…..both the above and my Bridgeport and Student machines will get the 46…

Apart from that my tractor uses it as well….so always in stock….

the odd gall of sol oil left will only be used in the metal cutting bandsaw as it's so messy…..

Thread: How to make concrete last 2000 years
30/01/2023 15:34:55

I tought u just needed 3 poles and a length of string.....not Poles as in Polish....

we cant even build HS2......

Thread: For those who live in the country
19/03/2022 11:11:01

went out last week.....

Diesel fuel was 1,95 euro's per lit

95 petrol............2.15 " "

heating oil..........1,65 " "

Thread: Hi from Naples italy
02/03/2022 15:42:15

Not an ML7 but have changed oil the oilers on my S7 for proper oilers....

the original lube system even with a good oil gun leaves a lot to be desired....I'm sure theres a nipple (see below) that will be a close enough fit....

those hard to reach ones around the compound lide etc have been taken away and the holes are covered with those modern super magnetic discs.....so now flood oiling is the name of the game.....

A couple of oilers used on my other lathe are converted 45deg grease nipples....kept the body of the nipple and turned little pots and lids from a bit of brass.......just fill em once or twice a day.....lovely oil seepage can be seen after a min or two.....my bigger lathe has it's own coolant /suds system which will be filled with 46 grade Hydraulic oil when reinstated unless someone out there has a better product........ none of that water based milk anymore.....

Thread: At last : Some intelligent engineering to mitigate a climate problem
02/03/2022 15:29:34

I used to live there nearly 50 years ago (Calif) and they were compaining about water evap losses then.....

just how many millions of gallons of precious water has been lost.....Regardless of cost it needs to be done.....

theres a lot of unemployment there so plenty of labour....

no prob for wildlife just raise it off the wall a foot....

besides other than scorpions n snakes there aint much wild life and the Hippy's have grown old n left...hahaha....

Solar panels should be copulsory thoughout the western style world where houses should face south where poss.....

lastly.....

when I lived in sunny SW France the quote for materials only for a 200ltr hot water array was over €4000 almost 20 years ago....extra lab €1500 min subjected to a survey....

mine came complete from Israel for a grand.....

the same thing in Greece......is a little over €1200 for the same thing......90% of houses have them fitted.....

At that kinda money even in the UK with it's rubbish weather it wont take long to get ur money bake....Promise...

Thread: Motorbike gearbox fitted to a milling machine
07/02/2022 17:14:39

dump the oil and use an axle grease...HIgh metling point will be ok.....

remember thats all that lubs 4-9inch angle grinders.........

Thread: How to keep Paint Fresh?
29/01/2022 16:21:56

Thor has the right idea.....

where I live now it's plus 30 C for most of the summer.....often up to 40......

I do as he says and it works for me......plus I have a metal cupboard thats used for storage of paint plus it's in a very dark corner of the shop where its cool'ish..........

Thread: Can't disassemble drill chuck
26/01/2022 16:08:15

on the same subject, well almost....

I have a 90degree Hitachi mains powered drilling machine...

lent it to someone who was a friend but no longer and he's busted the teeth on the chuck....I have secured a big allen key in the chuck and belted it with a huge copper mallet to try and unscrew it to no avail......dont want to damage the crown wheel drive by hitting it any harder.....

any suggestions other than sending it for repair and replacement chuck......

similar thing, any pref of a make of self tightening chucks other than the £100 jobbies...dont mind if they come from Poland etc....even Chinese if they come recomended......

I need at least 3 for different machines....

many thanks....

Thread: Workbench top
26/01/2022 15:27:18

I quite like just plain ol MDF, looks great after a while when the oil get soaked in......

My mobile grinder/sharpening set up is 750mmx1.5m, it has a formica top for easy clean....

I also have an 8x4x8mm steel plate workbench for welding and marking out life size......

plus the same size with a 3/4 plywood top for asembly purps.....

luckily all my machines are full size and on their own feet....and not bolted down either.....

Thread: Scheppach Bandsaw Portable
23/01/2022 14:54:04

all sounds a bit risky.....different if it was an expensive metal....

the vice looks a bit flimsey for short overhang use....

a one off perhaps but not a reg job....

how much is a new blade when it all gets tangled up....?

I reg cut up 6inch round bar and bigger on a big band saw and accept the last little bit as waste (or used in the lathe)....

Thread: Items which gave most satisfaction to make
08/01/2022 15:28:26

Ramon Wilson, that boat is almost to nice to get wet....

Mick B1, I rather like ur Dodo.....

Mr Duffer, managed to escape that pleasure "having my own" but help'd bring up somebody else's.....

Thread: Collet Choice
06/01/2022 16:24:37

I bought the ER collet, set ER42?...

they are so useful in both mills and the bigger lathe....money well spent I'd say.....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate