Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Best Dremel type machine?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Robinson 426/01/2017 00:40:05
102 forum posts

Hi

I was very disappointed after buying a Parkside cordless Dremel like tool from lidl for £16.99. Yes I know you get what what you pay for but this was not good. I only used it on light hobby work and after not long the spindle bearings went meaning the collet and bit wobbled all over the place. I found it very clumsy and not at all precise. My neighbour had exactly the same problem with his, in that the main shaft came loose. Has anyone else bought this tool and had similar experience?

My main point is what is the best make of Dremel like tool to get borsch, draper etc, there are several makes, is Dremel the best of all? I'm even prepared to get a used one as its bound to be better than the parkside on I once got.

Also what common things if any can go wrong with such tools?

(My main use is light grinding, carving and some polishing)

thanks

Ady126/01/2017 00:43:21
6137 forum posts
893 photos

You can get your munney back but fixing the bearings might be a good option.?

Paul Lousick26/01/2017 00:56:28
2276 forum posts
801 photos

I have had some of the cheaper ones in the past but started to vibrate, probably because it had cheap bearings (after warranty period) and now have a proper Dremel and would recommend it. Still going good after 2+ years. Keep an eye out for when they are on sale at a reduced price.

Hopper26/01/2017 01:05:00
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Get the genuine Dremel.

Simon Robinson 426/01/2017 01:13:39
102 forum posts
Posted by Ady1 on 26/01/2017 00:43:21:

Lidl refused to refund me or replace it as they are now a discontinued item

I thought of fixing the bearings but not sure if its worth it for the sake of £16.99 especially if something else goes wrong, motors on these have been known to burn out even on light hobby use like I used it for.

I only had it for less than a few months when it started playing up during a mamod restoration project which has been on freeze until I get a replacement Dremel.

John Reese26/01/2017 01:59:42
1071 forum posts

Definitely Dremel.

If you have very deep pockets DuMore.

For flex shaft grinders Foredom

Adrian Johnstone26/01/2017 02:06:35
34 forum posts

If you havea look round on the net, you'll see a lot of discussion around these rotary tools. Dremel's reputation has taken a dive in recent years even amongst our friends across the pond who like to buy American. I have a Proxxon (the mains powered one) which is a very high quality tool that is quiet, has good bearings and will run up to 20,000rpm (which is good for engraving). It is expensive though, but only around three times what you paid at Lidl (if you shop around). I wouldn't go back to using one of the cheaper tools.

Adrian

Edited By Adrian Johnstone on 26/01/2017 02:07:11

Stephen Benson26/01/2017 06:32:55
203 forum posts
69 photos

Another vote for Proxxon I use their industrial dia grinder a brilliant piece of kit and easy to mount in a vice with the optional clamp they also do a cordless version now.

John Coates26/01/2017 07:06:45
558 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Simon Robinson 4 on 26/01/2017 01:13:39:
Posted by Ady1 on 26/01/2017 00:43:21:

Lidl refused to refund me or replace it as they are now a discontinued item

So what if it is discontinued? That's not your problem

If it is within their warranty period and they can't replace it they can give you a refund

If they disagree tell them you'll go to Trading Standards

Edited By John Coates on 26/01/2017 07:07:25

Phil P26/01/2017 07:15:00
851 forum posts
206 photos

I bought a genuine Dremel years ago, and it started to vibrate badly after a few months.

Upon investigation the little metal cooling fan on the motor had started shedding its blades.

I then bought a Proxxon and am still using it with no problems many years later.

Phil

James Alford26/01/2017 07:15:07
501 forum posts
88 photos

I have owned a Dremel for several years now and it has had a lot of heavy use. I have had trouble with it twice, mainly with the collet chuck jamming. On both occasions, Bosch, who seem to own Dremel, arranged to collect it, repair it and return it, fully repaired and all for free. The machine is long out of warranty, which I made clear when I requested the repairs.

Based on the service alone, I would recommend one.

My model is an older version which has a combined on switch and speed control. I find this annoying as I cannot set the speed and leave it. My Lidl Parkside version has separate controls, which I find much easier to use. However, the collet chuck, made from aluminium, has failed. I don't suppose anyone has a dead Lidl tool with a spare collet chuck?

Regards,

James.

Edited By James Alford on 26/01/2017 07:16:01

John Haine26/01/2017 08:06:09
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Proxxon +1

Russell Eberhardt26/01/2017 08:26:37
2785 forum posts
87 photos

I've had a number of Dremels and clones over the years but now have a Proxxon IBS/E and am very satisfied with it. More expensive than some others but well worth the price IMHO.

Russell

HOWARDT26/01/2017 08:38:49
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Dremel.

I had my first one early eighties, motor gave up after fifteen years. Now got two, all corded thinking of getting cordless.

Ian S C26/01/2017 08:48:50
7468 forum posts
230 photos

I bought one made by Black & Decker, within a year it died, got it replaced, within a year it died, got it replaced, about 18 months it died, I pulled it to bits and found that the main drive was a coiled spring about 10 mm long by 6 mm dia, got one from the junk box, put it together, and it lasted another 4 years till the motor died. The previous faults were the same as the one I fixed. I bought a second hand Dremel, and its been going strong for about 15 years.

Ian S C

Neil Wyatt26/01/2017 09:17:10
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I have to say, the Dremels are exceptionally good. The small cordless has limited battery life (cutting 1.5mm diameter springs at a shallow angle, I could do about six cuts) before it started to flash amber at me. But it come into its won for delicate work which put less load on it, including polishing/cleaning up small items.

The larger cordless is fantastic, comes into its own when you have a rusted exhaust fitting under the car etc. and you can charge one battery as you use the other.

I have a big corded dremel and a corded wickes one. The wickes feels really agricultural in use compared to the other, I think the Dremels are generally better balanced with better bearings.

I must admit my ~17 year-old woolies corded one is still going (it did need one repair, I think a wire broke), although the spindle clamp is now a bit flaky. I've had the body of it too hot to hold!

Neil

pgk pgk26/01/2017 10:35:47
2661 forum posts
294 photos

Ditto on the woolies corded.. taken heaps of abuse and still going. The first hammer drill i bought from them ble smoked on the first hole I drilled.. was replaced but didn't last manu years. Oddly I found a battery drill of there's i'd forgotten i owned (last week). It's recharged and running -- bit I doubt it'll stay charged long

AJW26/01/2017 10:42:05
388 forum posts
137 photos
I bought a Dremel with the flexibility drive from a boot sale (?5) looks new. Never really wanted one but since I have had it it has been so useful!
Dremel, highly recommended!

Alan

Edited By AJW on 26/01/2017 10:42:47

Andrew Tinsley26/01/2017 14:02:50
1817 forum posts
2 photos

Difficult to decide! I have an Aldi mains version. just under £20. I have given it a rough life and it is going strong after 5 years. Looking at the build quality I just didn't expect such good usage.

I have an early mains powered Dremel and that is OK after 15 years of intermittent use. I also have a late model Dremel and it has given me a load of trouble. The new ones seem to be built down to a price. The only good thing is that spares are available.

So take your pick! A Proxxon is probably better than all of the above, but I have no experience of them. Yes I have 3 dremel tools and they are in different workshops, One for model planes, one for ME use and one in the house! They can be a lifesaver and so useful!

Andrew.

Peter Tucker26/01/2017 17:29:29
185 forum posts

Hi Simon,

Many yeas ago I bought a dremel, used it very little but once it was out of warranty the motor gave up and couldn't be repaired. Now I buy the cheapest rotary tool I can find and treat them as consumable items.

Peter.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate