By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Robinson 4

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Robinson 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How long for Humbrol clear model varnish to cure and apply decals?
04/10/2023 12:59:48
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/10/2023 12:55:34:

Is this acrylic or enamel?

From experience, the enamel is slow drying and wants a lot longer tha 30 minutes between coats, or it could take several days to cure.

Acrylic should dry a lot faster.

Neil;

It’s an acrylic water based varnish.

04/10/2023 12:45:51

I’ve painted my model with the 3 recommenced coats of Humbrol Clear, leaving over 30 minutes between each coat. It doesn’t say on the instructions but how long will it take for the varnish to cure so I can apply my waterslide decals?

Edit: it’s an acrylic varnish. 

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 04/10/2023 13:00:34

Thread: Is it safe to paint humbrol / revel enamel paint over car spray paint?
15/08/2023 12:17:22

I don’t have an airbrush for my model so I’m thinking of using silver ‘alloy-wheel’ spray paint over the model ( it’s wood and already primed with water based acrylic primer) but I want to add some detail over it using humbrol enamel paint. It’s difficult detail so masking isn’t practical.

The spray paint is solvent based containing Xylene, could there be any chemical reaction between the spray paint and enamel paint that could dull or spoil the finish even if I wait till spray paint is fully cured? I want a shiny natural metal finish. Also will water slide decals be ok on the spray painted sections?

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 15/08/2023 12:18:28

Thread: Why do modern car engines have different types of bolt type heads like Torx etc?
26/07/2023 17:08:29

Why do car manufacturers use many different types of bolts and screws: there’s hex bolts, double hex, torx screws, XZN,  star shaped etc? Wouldn’t it be easier just to use a standard traditional bolt head?

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 26/07/2023 17:10:39

Thread: Do you need an oil change with less than 10,000 miles in 10 years?
13/07/2023 22:33:13
Posted by Howard Lewis on 13/07/2023 14:30:48:

Running the engine will cause moisture and carbon to enter the oil, and any sulphur that was present, apart from any othger constituent (Base oil stock and the various additives) are likely to put acid into the oil.

One, the additives will have become depleted, and the frequent cold runs, inferred from less than 1K per annum, the oil will be in a very poor state.

I have seen engines subjected to continuous short runs, and poorly (infrequently ) serviced where the rocker levers were moving up and down in slots in the sludge.

Vans used by local councils rarely get really hot, and, like Noel, I have heard of cases where the sump plug could be removed with little fear of an oil drip onto the floor.

There have been cases of crankshaft seizure because the oil pump could no longer pump the sludge around the engine.

I've seen one strainer, 6" diameter with barely a 1/4" hole open, with the rest blocked by sludge, where this happened.

Economising on servicing does not pay. The "savings". get spent on repairs or eplacement.

I've seen engines where "To save fuel" the idling speed was reduced to just enough to keep the engine running. The fuel savings didn't pay for the rings and liners needed because the oil did not get thrown up the bores!

That Fiat engine might well be in bad way beacause of poor lubrication and corrosion.

If you are thinking of buying it, think VERY carefully

Howard

It ceratinly needs a good flush and new filter, followed by another new filter

Edited By Howard Lewis on 13/07/2023 14:33:33

To de-sludge it, would adding an Engine flushing compound like Wynn’s to the existing oil, then running the engine for 20 mins before draining it, then filling the oil tank with a mix of economy oil and Wynn’s running for 20 mins before draining that out. Then change filter and add the recommended good quality 5w 40 be a good idea?

Also is paraffin or diesel just as good an alternative as using Wynn’s for flushing?

13/07/2023 22:25:06
Posted by Chris Pearson 1 on 13/07/2023 17:23:08:

My modern motor has done about 8000 miles and has had 3 oil changes. I did the first at 1,000 miles at which stage I was allowed to go above 4,000 rpm. The next two were annual services.

When I sold my last car to We Buy Any Car dot com, all they were interested in was the oil changes. The rest of the service history (i.e. every last nut and bolt since I owned it) was returned to me.

Be careful with high detergent oils in an old engine - you do not want to release the sludge.

New oil is always cheaper than a new engine.

Rather than high detergent oil is it best to use an Engine flush product like Wynn’s added to the existing oil, run the engine for 20 mins then drain it out? Then flush through with an economy oil and engine flush compound with another 20 min engine run. Then drain it out change filter and pour in the good quality 5w 40 oil. Will that help de-sludge it?

13/07/2023 22:18:55
Posted by noel shelley on 13/07/2023 13:04:07:

Few will know better than Howard on this one, and I agree with his opinion ! The comment about a teaspoon may well be truer than you think - I have done oil changes where running the engine with paraffin in the sump to get the oil to become fluid enough to run out ! Noel.

Will a mix of petrol and diesel in the oil tank be good at removing the sludge?

13/07/2023 12:51:06

My neighbour has a diesel multijet Fiat Panda car. She has had it 10 years since the last oil change but has done less than 10,000 miles as it’s the families second car. I checked the dipstick and it’s the correct level and oil smells ok. It’s black which is normal for a diesel. No oil warning lights. Engine sounds just like a diesel should. I was surprised after such a long interval between oil changes. The car isn’t fitted with a DPF and is a common rail direct diesel injection.

I know in a petrol engine, oil changes are needed a lot more often because petrol isn’t a lubricant like diesel is. I’ve also heard of diesels going well over 30,000 miles without any oil change. Can diesels really tolerate such long intervals between an oil change?

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 13/07/2023 12:52:02

Thread: How did early Automatic gear boxes on cars work?
05/06/2023 15:39:49

In modern Automatic cars the Engine management system detects the need for a gear change through things like the MAF sensor which detects strain on the engine. But in early automatic transmission cars there were no computers or even MAF sensors etc. So how did the planetary transmission system know when the engine was under strain such as climbing a hill or moving in slow traffic etc?

Thread: How did diesel buses and taxis cope with short low speed journeys in London?
27/03/2023 20:15:01
Posted by Andy Stopford on 27/03/2023 19:39:18:

I own an FX4/Fairway, the predecessor to the TX series cabs. It was one of the last built and has the 2.7 litre Nissan TD27 engine. Earlier FX4s had an Austin diesel, and after production of that engine ceased they used the Land Rover diesel, against the advice of Land Rover's engineers who felt that it would not stand up to taxi operating conditions. They were, apparently, correct.

The Nissan engine was much more robust than the Rover engine, with a 5 main bearing crankshaft and gear driven camshaft. It's more like a small lorry engine. The power output is quite low, about 80 bhp which aids durability. the automatic transmission has a feature which allows top (overdrive) gear to be locked out. The handbook recommends engaging the lock out for town driving - I don't know the reason for this, it might be to keep the engine revs higher and prevent cylinder bore glazing. I leave it disengaged all the time, but then I'm not a cab driver and my annual mileage is tiny by comparison.

it's not really true that diesels require to be driven at high speeds - one of the advantages of diesels is that they give good fuel economy at part throttle settings since the compression ratio (and hence thermal efficiency) isn't reduced by a throttle butterfly as in a petrol engine.

They also don't generally suffer from coking - diesels always run lean and with high combustion temperatures. The only seriously coked diesel I've seen was an old Perkins P6 which had evidently been used in some sort of road repairing tractor. The outside of the engine was thickly coated with tar and chippings, and the valve passages looked pretty similar, almost completely blocked with oily carbon - I can't remember whether it was just the inlets, the exhausts, or both that were affected. The combustion chambers were clear though. I presume it either had grievously worn injection components, or maybe had been used with some totally unsuitable (i.e. cheap) fuel.

Geared timing sounds good and is safer than cambelts and cam chains which can break. So what else makes the Nissan TD27 a good long lasting engine? Is it the durable engine block, cylinders and pistons? Do the ancillaries like the Turbo, EGR and fuel pump, electronics, engine management  etc also last a long time? I know in a lot of engines the EGR is quite troublesome getting coked up. But then I don’t know if there is a vehicle EGR that doesn’t need cleaning.

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 27/03/2023 20:16:20

27/03/2023 16:26:18
Posted by Ady1 on 27/03/2023 16:11:43:

Specific vehicles like black taxis could sit at a rank all day with its engine ticking over

The TX1 in particular wasn't even run-in until 500,000 miles

it used a Nissan diesel

Ordinary domestic diesels were not designed for the abuse that business vehicles were expected to take

The trade off was mpg and performance

The TX2 with a ford engine and the Tx4 with a chrysler diesel were disasters for the trade, a lot of guys flogged off their TX2 and bought low mileage TX1s from London

The London guys didn't need to work their units so hard to make decent money, in the North and Scotland they got serious abuse

That’s a lot 500,000 miles. So I guess there is some truth that Diesel engines improve with mileage unlike petrols that wear down. I did once hear that older style Peugeot Diesel engines as well as the TX1 we’re almost indestructible, but is that just the engine block pistons and cylinders or the ancillaries too like the water pump, turbo, egr etc?

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 27/03/2023 16:27:22

27/03/2023 15:43:14

Diesel engines like to be driven hard and on long journeys at a good speed and RPM and diesels love motorways. But in the days when Routemaster buses and London taxis had Diesel engines how did the engines cope with the low speeds and regular stopping and starting in London traffic which rarely exceeds 20mph especially in central London? Surely the engines would soon get all gummed up with carbon. Was this a common problem with their engines requiring regular maintenance?

Thread: Can a touring caravan be disassembled and then reassembled easily?
12/03/2023 22:03:26

I might be able to get a 4.5 metre long Luna Meterorite touring caravan which I’d like to use for storing stuff. Problem is I can not get it into the back garden because the garage is in the way and there is no other access to the back garden for large items.

Could the caravan be dismantled side by side and carried through to the back and then reassembled?

Thread: Why is there liquid in my Silicone sealant?
28/02/2023 15:40:13
Posted by not done it yet on 27/02/2023 18:05:28:

Not usual. Check the expiry date? Your description is a little vague. Was this a thin ribbon from a usual cartridge type of dispenser, as usually fitted to a caulking gun? Or was it about 25% of the contents?

Silicone sealants give off ethanoic acid as they cure. Was this an excess of acid in this product. If it has separated, it may be important….

As above, if cheap, buy better.

The expiry date isn’t until mid 2024. From the caulking gun got a tiny bit of the ethanoic acid smelling clear liquid on opening then a consistent white ribbon with small amounts of liquid after and inch or two, then white ribbon again. I put some of the liquid onto card and it dried to form a hard clear residue.

28/02/2023 11:49:39
Posted by Dave Halford on 28/02/2023 11:20:09:

Won't be the first time something got packaged wrong. If it doesn't smell of vinegar it's not silicone.

I have never had clear liquid out of a tube of sealer (even acrylic) even years out of date.

The clear liquid did have a strong vinegar / acetic acid smell. I poured a bit off and it dried to form a clear hardish residue.

27/02/2023 15:42:49

I got a new tube of white silicone sealant to do some water proof sealing and after squeezing out about 1 and half inches clear liquid with the white silicone appeared. Is it normal for there to be liquid in the sealant? Will it weaken the sealing I’m doing?

Thread: Is a bath sponge suitable as temporary fix for car air filter?
19/01/2023 18:33:41
Posted by Hopper on 19/01/2023 09:58:53:

Crikey. How very Italian. laughlaughlaugh

Yes a small wodge of silicone sealer could work wonders. The seal on the airbox can't be too good either. I am pretty darn sure no water would get past the airbox seal on my Toyota Corolla. It is a very robust structure with over-centre latches and an 0-ring seal in a captive groove all round. Back on track to your original question: leave the duff filter out and drive with no filter at all. Get a new filter ASAP. DON'T put sponge or foam or paper or golden monkey fur in the airbox. If it disintegrates and gets sucked into the engine you will be very very sorry. But driving short distances with no air filter on sealed roads is no great danger.

Thank you that sounds the best solution.

19/01/2023 18:32:48
Posted by Hopper on 19/01/2023 09:58:53:

Crikey. How very Italian. laughlaughlaugh

Yes a small wodge of silicone sealer could work wonders. The seal on the airbox can't be too good either. I am pretty darn sure no water would get past the airbox seal on my Toyota Corolla. It is a very robust structure with over-centre latches and an 0-ring seal in a captive groove all round. Back on track to your original question: leave the duff filter out and drive with no filter at all. Get a new filter ASAP. DON'T put sponge or foam or paper or golden monkey fur in the airbox. If it disintegrates and gets sucked into the engine you will be very very sorry. But driving short distances with no air filter on sealed roads is no great danger.

Thank you that sounds the best solution.

19/01/2023 08:17:02
Posted by Hopper on 18/01/2023 21:16:19:

What on earth kind of car do you have that a) Lets so much water in around the bonnet b) Allows so much water to enter the air-filter housing and c) Has such a junky filter element that it disintegrates on contact with water, which is a common component of intake air? Lada? Trabant? Other?

The rest of us would like to be forewarned to avoid that brand and model, whatever it is.

It’s a 2007 Fiat Panda diesel. It’s a design fault. They put a bolt hole just above the filter box in the window drain Channel and rain water leaks through this hole and drips into the filter box soaking the air filter. Fortunately the filter box has a hole in the bottom so it doesn’t flood with rather but it seems this drain was retro fitted as manufactures knew it was a problem.

I’ve put some grease over the bolt temporarily but will clean it up with cellulose thinners and use silicon seal to stop the rain getting through.

19/01/2023 08:12:56
Posted by Jon Lawes on 18/01/2023 21:38:21:

Is the car french by any chance? Seemingly a french design technique is to put the air inlet low to the ground for cold air, I've noticed it more on my french cars than other brands.

No it’s a 2007 Fiat Panda diesel. They put a bolt hole just above the filter box in the window drain Channel and rain water leaks through this hole and drips into the filter box soaking the air filter. I’ve put some grease over the bolt temporarily but will clean it up with cellulose thinners and use silicon seal to stop the rain getting through.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate