I may be stupid but

Tightening a 3 jaw chuck.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer24/06/2022 09:55:53
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by AdrianR on 24/06/2022 08:34:18:

If you think about the forces on the scroll, it is better to tighten all three, ideally, you would turn all of them at the same time.

Exactly.

Even new chucks are imperfect mechanically and the fit gets worse with wear. Although the scroll mostly rotates, it also moves slightly sideways and perhaps tilts as well. Although the unwanted movement is tiny, it's enough to stop the jaws from fully tightening. Turning the adjusters in sequence tends to release jambing due to non-rotary movement, and allows the jaws to tighten a little more. Three is enough.

Worth doing because the purpose of a chuck is to grip work and it needs all the help it can get from the operator! Finking it's not necessary is a poor substitute for not just doing it - only takes a moment.

Quite a good example of a workshop subtlety that a maker of internet videos might inadvertently spread as a bad practice. Very easy for newcomers to copy the well-presented misunderstandings of an inexperienced machinist who enjoys making videos. Experienced machinists often develop inadvertent bad-habits too. The problem is usually failing to have work peer reviewed by a few qualified critics before publication. Write 1000 times before publishing anything: "Individuals, especially me, are really, really bad at spotting their own mistakes.'

Dave

Mick B124/06/2022 10:55:05
2444 forum posts
139 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 24/06/2022 09:55:53:
Posted by AdrianR on 24/06/2022 08:34:18:

If you think about the forces on the scroll, it is better to tighten all three, ideally, you would turn all of them at the same time.

Exactly.

Even new chucks are imperfect mechanically and the fit gets worse with wear. Although the scroll mostly rotates, it also moves slightly sideways and perhaps tilts as well. Although the unwanted movement is tiny, it's enough to stop the jaws from fully tightening. Turning the adjusters in sequence tends to release jambing due to non-rotary movement, and allows the jaws to tighten a little more. Three is enough.

Dave

Yes, all true, but - maddeningly - sellers only issue one key, usually only one or at most two key pinions are accessible from any single position, and I've never met anybody with enough arms...

wink

Certainly if I'm trying for concentricity with the gripped diameter, I've found I get the best results (about 2 or 3 tenths TIR) by tightening all 3 pinions - but it's not common to need that, so in most cases I won't bother.

But even if I have to play about with a few attempts, clocking the concentricity as I go, it's generally still a helluva lot quicker than swapping to a 4-jaw independent chuck. I generally use those for eccentrics or components unsuitable for 3-jaw grip. Because 3-jaws seem so much better today than they were when I started turning, I find myself unwilling to disturb it without very good reason.

Steviegtr24/06/2022 11:10:01
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by Oldiron on 24/06/2022 07:51:14:
Posted by Bountyboy on 24/06/2022 06:43:40:

Hi Steve,

I agree with Nigel, you’re not stupid. Anyway I thought you had an Albrecht chuck, the Rolls Royce of keyless chucks. 😀

I though we were talking 3 jaw lathe chucks here or am I stupid ?

regards

No old iron i was meaning the main lathe chuck , not a tailstock drill chuck.

Steve.

Dalboy24/06/2022 11:11:08
1009 forum posts
305 photos

I also was taught to use all three positions when tightening a drill chuck and have carried that over to my lathe chucks.

I find it does hold better than just tightening with the one point.

Have you ever noticed that when tightening in a single hole that when undoing it you will find that one will always undo easier than the other two positions.

Steviegtr24/06/2022 11:13:38
2668 forum posts
352 photos
Posted by Bountyboy on 24/06/2022 06:43:40:

Hi Steve,

I agree with Nigel, you’re not stupid. Anyway I thought you had an Albrecht chuck, the Rolls Royce of keyless chucks. 😀

No Bountyboy i was refering to the main lathe chuck which is a Bernard griptru, that came with the lathe.

Steviegtr24/06/2022 11:14:55
2668 forum posts
352 photos

Well from all the feedback here, it would seem a good idea to give each key hole a nip.

Thanks for all the replies to my question.

Steve.

Vic24/06/2022 11:21:31
3453 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 24/06/2022 09:38:15:
Posted by Rex Hanman on 24/06/2022 08:02:16:

If one hole is adequate, why would the manufacturer add others? There must be an advantage other than convenience.

I bet if chucks had a single hole then there would be a thread about what a great idea it would be to have 3 holes so there was always one on top for immediate use.smiley On a larger geared head lathe it could be something of an effort to rotate the chuck, I seem to remember setting one of the gearbox levers to a halfway position to effectively disengage the gearbox when setting up a 4 jaw job.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 24/06/2022 09:44:30

Many wood turning scroll chucks only have two holes. Some use a pinion like an engineering chuck but my two of differing makes don’t have them, the key drives the scroll directly.

peak424/06/2022 11:42:50
2207 forum posts
210 photos

I've not seen any formal manufacturers instructions on conventional 3 jaw chucks, other than for Griptru or similar designs.
These are effectively just a high quality cuck on a separate, but integrated mount for adjusting concentricity.

The Pratt Burnerd instructions give directions for adjusting the chuck body, and then say that any pinion may be used, "when it is not essential to maintain concentricity within the very fine limits mentioned."
https://prattburnerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/PBI-GRIPTRU-MANUAL.pdf

I read that as, use any pinion, but if you set something up using one, then continue to use that one, if you want repeatability for a given diameter.
I always use the same pinion on each chuck I have, and seem to get the best concentricity.

A drill chuck however seems to benefit in holding power, by using each key hole, but that seems to be about internal friction and holding power, rather than concentricity.

Bill.

Martin Kyte24/06/2022 11:51:10
3445 forum posts
62 photos

As has been said tightening all 3 for Jacobs chucks is the correct proceedure and will result in a lot less ruined drills which have slipped in the chuck. For 3 Jaw lathe chucks I only do this for tapping larger holes especially with BSW threads and even then there is a limit. 3 Jaw lathe chucks have quite a limited holding power.

regards Martin

not done it yet24/06/2022 11:56:10
7517 forum posts
20 photos

I tighten all the way round. But I don’t yank up the first position absolutely tight. I look at from the point of view that less force on each point is better than forcing on a single point on the scroll.

Bazyle24/06/2022 12:10:45
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Owing to the movement of the scroll as mentioned by SOD above you should first do some tests on different diameters to see which jaw to use as teh last one that gives the best concentricity at each diameter and use that when it matters.

If the chuck was previously used by a brainless gorilla then the scroll will be distorted at common diameters like 1", 1/2" etc.

Nicholas Farr24/06/2022 12:37:22
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, this argument has been going on for many years, even in industry, with both drill and lathe chucks. My father (who worked for a well known bearing manufacturer) taught me the way he was taught in his apprenticeship, that the correct way was to slightly tighten each of the three holes and then go round again to give each hole a final tighten. When others that I have worked with, just use one hole on a pistol drill chuck and they get a hole that the drill snags in (which was quite often) the drill would stop and the chuck would spin, eventually resulting with chewed drill shanks, I never got that happening, unless I was forced to use a drill that was already chewed up. I have always adopted tightening the chucks the way my father taught at work and at home.

Regards Nick.

colin hawes24/06/2022 13:32:29
570 forum posts
18 photos

Most times that I use the three jaw chuck I only tighten it in one place and it is accurate, however, if I have particularly heavy machining to do I have found that if I use all tree key holes the job is held more firmly. Can this be due to three times the friction at the scroll gears ? Colin

Hopper24/06/2022 14:27:00
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 24/06/2022 12:37:22:

Hi, this argument has been going on for many years, even in industry, with both drill and lathe chucks. My father (who worked for a well known bearing manufacturer) taught me the way he was taught in his apprenticeship, that the correct way was to slightly tighten each of the three holes and then go round again to give each hole a final tighten. When others that I have worked with, just use one hole on a pistol drill chuck and they get a hole that the drill snags in (which was quite often) the drill would stop and the chuck would spin, eventually resulting with chewed drill shanks, I never got that happening, unless I was forced to use a drill that was already chewed up. I have always adopted tightening the chucks the way my father taught at work and at home.

Regards Nick.

So, tighten all 6 holes then.

Dave Halford24/06/2022 14:37:39
2536 forum posts
24 photos

I've got two 5" lightweight chucks with only a single pinion on eachsad.

David George 124/06/2022 17:05:48
2110 forum posts
565 photos

I was told that it was a balance thing to have equal weight and not to have one pinion throwing it out of balance. I have always used one pinion to tighten the chuck whenever I went it to run true as that one marked O is the one which was used when the chuck was set up. That was what we were instructed to when I was an apprentice and carried on doing so.

David

Andrew Tinsley24/06/2022 18:05:04
1817 forum posts
2 photos

Like Dave Halford, I too have a 5" chuck with a single pinion. It must have come with a job lot, because I only spotted it 3 weeks ago when I decided to clean my chucks, I was very much surprised at this! No name on the chuck and it was in a light blue box with a German language print saying 3 jaw chuck. Looks unused to me, still in makers greased condition.

Anyone know the origin of these oddball chucks?

Regards,

Andrew

DC31k24/06/2022 19:16:04
1186 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by peak4 on 24/06/2022 11:42:50:

I read that as, use any pinion, but if you set something up using one, then continue to use that one, if you want repeatability for a given diameter.

In a recent thread about manufacturer's chuck test certificates (long vee and short vee), I suggested people seek out Indian Standard IS2876-1999, which is a parallel of the ISO standard for scroll chucks.

In that Standard, it states that the tests on which the certificates are based should be carried out using the master pinion.

----

There seems to be some confusion on the three-pinion issue. Everyone is talking about tightening the chuck. My chucks work in a bi-directional manner, loosening as well as tightening. Not having to spin the chuck around is a big advantage when removing the work.

old mart24/06/2022 19:56:54
4655 forum posts
304 photos

Because of the unavoidable clearances required for the mechanism to work, there is likely to be a slight difference in the workholding accuracy dependent on which pinion is used to tighten the jaws. Only by testing using accurate test pieces can the master pinion be found. That is the least inaccurate one. I use the test bar which is about 3/4" diameter and a Morse taper socket with a 2" diameter ground cylindrical outside. Simply tightening the jaws on a workpiece is not good enough, you should move it in a circular motion as the jaws come in contact until tight. Tests should be made on each pinion and the best results recorded. As many different diameter test pieces as possible will check the accuracy of the scroll.

If setting up to grind the jaws in situ, then one of the pinions should be chosen and that will be the master. Unless the chuck is well worn, the differences between pinions will be minimal and having a master jaw would only be needed for critical work. For instance, turning and boring and then parting off without disturbing the workpiece in the chuck will be exactly the same with any chuck, good or bad.

DiogenesII24/06/2022 20:47:31
859 forum posts
268 photos
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 24/06/2022 18:05:04:

Like Dave Halford, I too have a 5" chuck with a single pinion. It must have come with a job lot, because I only spotted it 3 weeks ago when I decided to clean my chucks, I was very much surprised at this! No name on the chuck and it was in a light blue box with a German language print saying 3 jaw chuck. Looks unused to me, still in makers greased condition.

Anyone know the origin of these oddball chucks?

Regards,

Andrew

..TOS come in a blue box with German language labels.. ..some of the smaller Toolmex also had single pinions, not lucky enough to know what colour boxes they come in though.. ..both are good chucks..

FWIW I was taught to tighten on the master and use any to release.. ..also not to wring the life out of a 3 jaw..

Edited By DiogenesII on 24/06/2022 20:50:14

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate