By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DiogenesII

Here is a list of all the postings DiogenesII has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco 220
10/09/2023 10:11:59

'Play in the nuts and I don't know the pitch of the screw'?

..does anyone have enough Italian to ask whether Daniele means the leadscrew or feed-screws?

Thread: Chaotic pendulms
09/09/2023 08:33:52

..scratches head..

"What are you doing..? ..your coffee's gone cold.."

..50 minutes an hour have slipped by..

more anon.

Thread: Courier problems
07/09/2023 20:15:32

..couriers should be entitled to take a mug-shot of the recipients face..

Thread: Warco Economy Mill
07/09/2023 17:05:16

You sound like you have a plan, but look carefully at motor spec' and ratio's carefully if you want to retain a useful slow-speed milling capability with just one direct pulley-pair..

Thread: QCT numbers
06/09/2023 19:47:22

Which toolposts do you mean- the manufacturer's each use their own system..

Thread: Building a car from scratch
06/09/2023 18:05:07
Posted by Ady1 on 06/09/2023 17:33:58:

.. ..I suppose it's not about what they put in to the kit, it's about all the bits they left out.. ...

..spot on.. yes

Thread: Warco Economy Mill
06/09/2023 03:01:42

If you have a look at the 'Grizzly' tools website you should still be able to download a parts list, drawing & manual for their version of the same machine..

Grizzly Tools G1005Z

..it might not help you much as a source of spares, but at least you can see what things are called and how it goes together / what's missing.

These machines were quite popular in their day and widely offered, I think as well as Warco, both Chester and Sealey also sold versions of the same machine.

05/09/2023 19:51:52

A couple of more important bits that are missing are;

..the intermediate cone pulley and it's bracket (which fits around the column)

..and the rack for raising the head..

Do you or the previous owner have them?

Edited By DiogenesII on 05/09/2023 19:52:10

Thread: Compressor question
04/09/2023 06:41:50

Whether it's worth 'doing' depends to a large extent on what you are going to be using it for and whether, once done, it will be the machine 'that you want it to be'...

What capacity is it, and what tasks do you hope it to perform with it?

..it looks like quite a small receiver for that type of pump, but it's hard to tell from a picture...

Edited By DiogenesII on 04/09/2023 06:54:11

Edited By DiogenesII on 04/09/2023 07:05:14

Thread: The crumbly concrete problem
03/09/2023 19:14:56
Posted by Baz on 03/09/2023 18:55:46:
Posted by Ady1 on 03/09/2023 10:43:02:

If I was king for a day I would buy all the spare stainless rebar from China, negotiate a government quantity package please while their economy is struggling

If you are buying it from China I would recommend you check every single piece with a magnet, their certificates of conformity aren’t worth the paper they are written on.

..yes, we're so lucky that those kind of sharp business practices never happen in western democracies..

Thread: Which way first
02/09/2023 08:04:59

I'd also cut the fins first and do the bore and base skim last.

Thread: Perfecto lathe / Myford ML4 - counter shaft/assembly help please
01/09/2023 07:34:01

The countershaft bearing blocks should be centralised in their housings by adjusting the top and bottom screws - the pointy ends of the screws should locate in dimples in the bearing block, and should be tightened until they make contact and then backed off say a quarter turn, so that the block can 'self-algn' and support the shaft with no binding or tight-spots.

If you are missing a lock nut, a dab of blue threadlocker (low strength, '243' or similar) should hold it.

The bearings are plain and usually the 'oil hole' is formed to make a little reservoir for oil which should be topped up at the start of a session - but if there's some wear on the shaft you might want to just put a couple of squirts from an oil can in to start with and see how long it takes to come out wink.. something like 'SAE30' mower oil from a garden centre will do.

If you can get the shaft running freely, it isn't rattling about in the bearings, and all feels 'good', then I'd probably be inclined to re-secure the pulleys and leave the rest of the assembly as is unless you really need to strip it all down.

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Tension
31/08/2023 18:47:27

Martin Kennedy published words, music, sums and calculator in the newsletters of Houston's Home Metal Shop Club starting in Vol 16 no 8;

HMSC - August 2011 - Setting Tension ina Bandsaw Blade

..and revisited the subject in 2020

HMSC -Sep 2020 - ..Tension in a Bandasw Blade Revisited

I'll leave you to peruse them and see if it's helpful..

31/08/2023 07:07:28

It almost looks as if the countershaft spindle icould be a lathe mandrel?

In any case, check that the pulley grubscrews are all out, being aware that sometimes the initial screw may have another fitted above it to stop it loosening..

The cone pulley is a mandrel pulley, I wonder whether there are spacers fitted at one (or both ends) - it looks a bit like it in the second last picture?

Does the cone pulley rotate on the shaft once loosened?

Thread: NALON VIPER 2.5 CC DIESEL
31/08/2023 06:32:31

Crank Bearings.. ..Tuig's comment rings a vague bell apropos races having equal numbers of balls at front and back claimed to have the potential to develop a sympathetic / synchronised rotation and produce unwelcome harmonic / loading effects

I can't remember the source either..! ..I think advice was to choose bearings from a different range or manufacturer so that if say, the front bearing had seven balls, find an equivalent for the back that had eight..

In any case, I happily defer to vastly more knowledgeable & experienced brains than mine to continue the discussion....

Edit: to correct my poor manners - a very clean and attractive job - nice work!

Edited By DiogenesII on 31/08/2023 06:43:54

29/08/2023 07:26:12

Hello, CP, welcome to the forum..

There's a 'How To' page here to help you put some pictures up..

How To Post Pictures / Photographs..

Thread: Sewing machine motor
28/08/2023 08:25:48

I'm pretty sure that an older posting on this forum led to me having this link (for this particular item) tucked away;

Industrial-sewing.co.uk - Jack 750w Heavy Duty Servo Motor

..however it hasn't been tried or tested by me, so make of it what you will - to me it looks like a reasonably competent set-up ?

Edited By DiogenesII on 28/08/2023 08:26:11

Thread: Wanted. A supplier of imperial R8 arbour.
27/08/2023 08:51:39

Have you searched for 'R8 1" stub arbor'

..Arc Eurotrade..

..there's also an Arrand on Ebay right now...

You don't need a key for slitting saws, the rotation of the cutter is contrari-wise to the holding thread, so that it tightens itself.. ..life would be so much cheaper if only they did slip..

Thread: Draper GD16/16c pillar drill drive belts
27/08/2023 08:12:29

As well as the knobs that release the motor tension, it looks like there's a handle that locks the belt tension on the R/H side..

You should be able to find a pdf manual online..

Edited By DiogenesII on 27/08/2023 08:12:47

Thread: Microsoft works
23/08/2023 13:31:30

..or Open Office. Used it for several years with no issues either opening or sending..

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate