Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

A SIMPLE POINT !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
noel shelley27/08/2021 10:22:16
2308 forum posts
33 photos

If a bolt has thread all the way to the head and is longer than about 1" or 25mm then it is NOT a bolt - it's a set screw ! If there is plain rod between the head and the thread it's a bolt. This simple point may save some one trouble when ordering set screws or bolts. Good luck, Noel.

Rob McSweeney27/08/2021 10:32:31
98 forum posts

Set screw? - Machine screw, surely.

John Haine27/08/2021 10:48:59
5563 forum posts
322 photos

????

**LINK**

noel shelley27/08/2021 10:51:27
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Depends on which school you went to I think ? Set screw is a more descriptive term but the importany think is to get the right part for the job ! Noel.

Andrew Johnston27/08/2021 10:53:33
7061 forum posts
719 photos

Set screw is the correct technical term. But unfortunately sloppy definitions mean that set screw can also be used to mean a grub screw. Machine screws imply a non-hexagon head.

It's almost as bad as describing a milling machine as universal just because it has horizontal/vertical capability.

Andrew

Mike Hurley27/08/2021 10:54:47
530 forum posts
89 photos

Always known them as set screws, but the term machine screw is just as ' correct ' to my knowledge. Either way, distinctly different to a bolt.

regards Mike

john halfpenny27/08/2021 11:11:52
314 forum posts
28 photos

I was taught (and it seems logical to me) that a macine screw is the generic term, and so called to distinguish from other types, such as wood screws. A bolt is one subset of machine screws, with plain portion of shank. A set screw is another.

Roderick Jenkins27/08/2021 11:25:37
2376 forum posts
800 photos

Mostly a difference between US and UK terminology I think.

Rod

Juddy27/08/2021 11:25:54
131 forum posts

Isn't a bolt used in conjunction with a nut (& washer etc.) and a screw (machine, set, grub, shoulder etc.) is fitted to a threaded hole although there will be as many opinions on this as there are types of screws and bolts

Emgee27/08/2021 11:42:25
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Looks like Wiki has it wrong on this topic, not the first error on that platform. !!!!!!

Emgee

Nicholas Farr27/08/2021 12:45:44
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, I've always known set screws to be hex head that are fully threaded, a bolt has a plain shank between the head and the thread and the head doesn't have to be a hexagon e.g. coach bolt or even square head bolt, machine screws normally require a screwdriver to tighten them up. of course, all of these can and are used with or without nuts.

Regards Nick.

Shadow27/08/2021 13:02:46
21 forum posts
1 photos

At the bolt supply company I worked they were called tap bolts.

JasonB27/08/2021 13:16:10
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Hope they were not used in conjunction with tap washers for critical jobswink 2

Martin W27/08/2021 13:56:04
940 forum posts
30 photos

Only if they were being fitted by the company drip smile p.

duncan webster27/08/2021 14:27:10
5307 forum posts
83 photos

In case anyone is wondering what the fuss is about, if loaded in shear a bolt with a plain shank has a much better abutment against a round hole, and has a significantly higher shear load capacity. This implies that the plain bit should be just less in length than the thickness of the 2 bits that it is going through

JasonB27/08/2021 14:57:46
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

You may also run into problems if you order a coach screw using Noel's definition of a bolt/screw as this is a coach bolt

And this is a coach screw

Edited By JasonB on 27/08/2021 14:59:31

Mick B127/08/2021 14:59:26
2444 forum posts
139 photos

In the colloquial-speak I'm used to, anything with a round head - machine or wood thread, domed, cheese, flat, c/sk or cap, and slotted,Phillips, Pozi, hex socket, torq or other drive - is a screw.

Anything with a hex head is a bolt, however high or low up the shank the thread goes.

I'm not saying this is right, just that it's common parlance. I've seen enough variations - such as setscrew/grubscrew conflation as above - to think that the only way to be certain to get the right screw is to

• buy from shops, where you can check any important features such as threaded length;
  • from suppliers who specify their wares exhaustively;
  • or make 'em yerself.

laugh

not done it yet27/08/2021 16:20:14
7517 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Mick B1 on 27/08/2021 14:59:26:

In the colloquial-speak I'm used to, anything with a round head - machine or wood thread, domed, cheese, flat, c/sk or cap, and slotted,Phillips, Pozi, hex socket, torq or other drive - is a screw.

Anything with a hex head is a bolt, however high or low up the shank the thread goes.

I'm not saying this is right, just that it's common parlance. I've seen enough variations - such as setscrew/grubscrew conflation as above - to think that the only way to be certain to get the right screw is to

• buy from shops, where you can check any important features such as threaded length;
  • from suppliers who specify their wares exhaustively;
  • or make 'em yerself.

laugh

Well, for a start, I differentiate between cap-screws and cap-head bolts. The bolts have a plain section of shank. Screws are made to be screwed all the way in and secure the part on the head - that can be a hex or round. Cap heads are particularly useful when counter-bored below the surface. Bolts are generally tightened with a nut, or threaded into a different member to that which is being secured by the bolt.

I specify dependent on the situation in which the fixings are to be used. There are often alternatives, but also some specific fixings (coach head bolts are one example that are never going to be screwed in!) for some applications.

I don’t think I have ever seen a coach bolt/screw threaded completely to the head.

In summary, all is not simple when specifying a fixing. There are always going to be exceptions to the basic ‘rules’. Some bolts even have square heads, after all.🙂

John Haine27/08/2021 16:53:11
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Well, that's cleared that up then!

larry phelan 127/08/2021 17:20:59
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Nothing in life is simple, is it ?cheeky

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate