All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Former Member29/01/2021 15:07:06
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Brian H29/01/2021 15:10:19
2312 forum posts
112 photos

I would say yes but it can sometimes be difficult to get the correct scale size for a model unless you make your own.

Brian

mechman4829/01/2021 15:17:16
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Usually yes; unless you use flanged nuts.

Geo.

Michael Gilligan29/01/2021 15:17:44
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by br on 29/01/2021 15:07:06:

Should washers ALWAYS ? be fitted under nuts ?

No ... Sometimes the nut is captive [in a suitably shaped recess] and the washer is then much more useful under the head of the bolt.

MichaelG.

Andrew Johnston29/01/2021 15:24:24
7061 forum posts
719 photos

No; in the photos I have of full size Burrell SCC traction engines almost none of the nuts have washers underneath them.

Andrew

gary29/01/2021 15:33:26
164 forum posts
37 photos

no. but they stop your paint from damage when tightening up.

john fletcher 129/01/2021 15:33:52
893 forum posts

Under which bit rotates, we were told and I've stuck with it. John

Russell Eberhardt29/01/2021 15:34:42
2785 forum posts
87 photos

There are some circumstances ahere a washer should NOT be used. For example, if both the bolt and the surface it's fitted to are hardened an normal soft washer will reduce the reliability.

Russell

Emgee29/01/2021 15:34:47
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Certainly if material being fixed is likely to be damaged by the nut, damage can be reduced if the hex is turned off at the point of contact but I prefer a washer to spread the load.

Emgee

not done it yet29/01/2021 16:26:57
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Should washers ALWAYS ? be fitted under nuts or not?

Simple answer to the OP’s simple question is No.

Nicholas Farr29/01/2021 16:35:08
3988 forum posts
1799 photos
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 29/01/2021 15:34:42:

There are some circumstances ahere a washer should NOT be used. For example, if both the bolt and the surface it's fitted to are hardened an normal soft washer will reduce the reliability.

Russell

Hi Russell, but you can get hardened washers.

Generally, you don't have to have any washers at all, if you don't want them, but if you are bolting a thin sheet to a thicker section it would be advisable to have a washer in most cases, on top of the thin sheet, whether it's the head of the bolt or the nut. Personally, I like to have them under both head and nut in most situations where it is possible. In structural steelwork it is common to see them on both sides, as the holes are very often bigger, mainly for easy erection and small adjustments.

Regards Nick.

Former Member29/01/2021 20:03:02
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Andrew Johnston29/01/2021 20:51:16
7061 forum posts
719 photos

I'd rather be wrong than wright. smile

Andrew

Pat Wright 129/01/2021 21:19:37
13 forum posts

I'd rather be wright than wrong. smile

Pat

not done it yet29/01/2021 21:27:45
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Do two Wrights make a Wrong?🙂

Pat Wright 129/01/2021 21:40:06
13 forum posts

No. Two wright's made 3 more wright's.smile

Pat

Nicholas Farr29/01/2021 22:29:40
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, well that should be all wright then! right! or is that wrong also. indecision

Regards Nick.

Mike Hurley30/01/2021 11:18:36
530 forum posts
89 photos

Personally I tend to use washers most of the time for stuff I'm making, just feel they give a better 'fit' to things. If you study the vast majority of early industrial / victorian engineering they never seemed to use them. Was this because of the extra cost or just considered unecessary? When did they start to become in regular use, and was it one of these trends that started perhaps in America and spread over here or vice versa? Have often wondered. Regards

Mick B130/01/2021 11:40:54
2444 forum posts
139 photos

I'd rather chew up a sacrificial component than a spotface, and I'd rather spread the compressive load there and at the bolt end as well, so my default position is to use them at both ends.

Unless otherwise prompted by other tech considerations, shortage or laziness.

SillyOldDuffer30/01/2021 12:12:28
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Mike Hurley on 30/01/2021 11:18:36:

Personally I tend to use washers most of the time for stuff I'm making, just feel they give a better 'fit' to things. If you study the vast majority of early industrial / victorian engineering they never seemed to use them. Was this because of the extra cost or just considered unecessary? When did they start to become in regular use, and was it one of these trends that started perhaps in America and spread over here or vice versa? Have often wondered. Regards

Intrigued by the why washers question I went through my collection of Engineering Books in hope of finding an explanation. Nope! Instead I found inconsistencies. Drawings sometimes show washers and sometimes not. There's a British Standard covering metric washers but it concerns itself only with dimensions. BS metric washer can be made of almost anything ranging from plastic to hardened steel. Brass and mild-steel seem popular.

None of my books explain anything, but I suggest 6 reasons for fitting plain washers:

• To spread the load so the nut doesn't crush a soft material, or have the sharp edges cut into it as the nut is tightened.
  • To avoid the nut damaging painted or plated surfaces put on to protect the underlying metal against corrosion.
  • For cosmetic reasons - looks neater, and keeps paintwork safe.
  • To bridge gaps when the hole is larger than the bolt, as when fixing a panel through holes slotted to simplify fitting. (No need for the holes to be accurately positioned - the washer covers up a wide tolerance.)
  • To grip something that might otherwise be squeezed out at the nut rotates, such as a wire in a screw terminal.
  • By provide two bearing surfaces, the washer reduces friction as the nut is tightened, making an ordinary spanner slightly more effective. The nut is tighter, and the bolt tensioned better.

Another mystery my books don't answer is thread angles. Metric and American bolts are both 60°, Whitworth is 55°, Lowenherz 53.1333°, and Thury and BA are 47.5°. Just guessing, but within the range of practical thread angles I think 60° provides the strongest thread, whilst the weaker 47.5° angle provides higher friction and is less likely to come undone. Does anyone know the actual answer?

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate