Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Weeds in a 'lawn'

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Wooding21/06/2020 10:56:44
1074 forum posts
290 photos

My garden contains something that should be a lawn. It has a lot of moss, daisies, some grass, and some other 'flowers' that I really neither like nor want. I don't know what they are, but there are rather a lot of them. I certainly didn't plant them, they did that by themselves.

I've some photos which I've put in my album called Weeds.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of them please?

Journeyman21/06/2020 11:09:10
1257 forum posts
264 photos

Astro-turfdevil

John

Roderick Jenkins21/06/2020 11:09:15
2376 forum posts
800 photos

Fox and Cubs. We used to mow round the occasional one that turned up in our lawn. I would cherish them.

Stay well,

Rod

Clive Brown 121/06/2020 11:10:32
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I'm no expert, but I've found selective lawn weedkiller quite effective. Weedol Lawn Weedkiller, used to be called Verdone, is one.

Looking at your photos, a good application might result in a rather bare area of ground, to be rapidly recolonised by weeds. Ground preparation and reseeding might be called for.

Lawn sand is good for moss.

Regular mowing helps curb weeds I'm told, (by my wife).

not done it yet21/06/2020 11:14:29
7517 forum posts
20 photos

You need to get rid of that mole, too! They can play havoc if you have a nice lawned area!

Brian Oldford21/06/2020 11:17:30
686 forum posts
18 photos

Get a couple of Labrador bitches. Their continual piddling will kill off most plants PDQ.

Graham Meek21/06/2020 11:29:42
714 forum posts
414 photos

I have found cutting the lawn too short encourages weeds. Scarifying the lawn for a moss infestation is a good start. The lawn will also benefit from forking every 100 mm, 4" to get some air into the soil and improve drainage. Lawn sand brushed onto a lawn after forking will help with the drainage. Moss loves a water logged lawn.

I have found a Weed and Feed by Vitax, (usual disclaimer), to be very effective at controlling what weeds I get and improving the colour. I do think though that you will need to do some reseeding before you can apply this.

Vitax cannot be applied on a new lawn, and that goes for many of the other preparations. I have used in the past a product by Westfield this is a weed and feed, but it has grass seed included. This product is very environmentally, pet and children friendly.

Regards

Gray,

Martin Kyte21/06/2020 11:30:07
3445 forum posts
62 photos

Very regular mowing surpresses most weeds and PERSISTANT application of weed and feed will eventually eradicate the rest. There are no short cuts.

regards Martin

KWIL21/06/2020 12:00:41
3681 forum posts
70 photos

MCPA controls broad leaved weeds like those shown.

Former Member21/06/2020 12:31:01

[This posting has been removed]

Bazyle21/06/2020 12:31:25
6956 forum posts
229 photos

A lot of the chemical treatments have to be put on at a particular time of year, might not be now. Some weeds are encouraged by mowing short (daisies) some by leaving long (docks). Some adapt to either (buttercup). I think the one you are showing (I don't have that one) would suffer if you left the lawn to grow 1ft high or more in the spring.

My brown lawn after the drought now after the rain is showing spots of green - they are the weeds foolishly giving themselves away so I'm planning to go round with a paintbrush and glyphosate to get them individually. Yes incredibly tedious but short burst of that spread over a few days gives me great satisfaction on a sunny day and lets me put off having to do the hundred other jobs.

Martin W21/06/2020 12:34:32
940 forum posts
30 photos

We have an area of lawn that is shaded and the moss was always present and no matter what we did with regard to scarifying etc. it always returned and swamped what grass was growing there. We read a recommendation for a product called Mo Bacter by Viano and this has been totally successful at removing and preventing the regrowth of the moss, usual disclaimers.

While it will not help with the weeds it will get rid of the moss and is a lawn fertiliser which will help the grass re-establish where the moss was, details can be seen here.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Kyte21/06/2020 13:09:28
3445 forum posts
62 photos

A few comments.

Plants compete so healthy vigorous grass holds it's own better against weeds. Feed it.

Most plants with grass as an exception don't like to be cut back on a regular basis, so mow often.

Don't scalp your lawn, it helps with dry weather.

Don't rake moss, it justs speads it around.

Use weed and feed regularly.

Once you have got things under control, don't stop what you are doing.

Deal with ants nests.

Reseed regularly.

regards Martin

File Handle21/06/2020 13:36:02
250 forum posts

pelleted chicken manure is a good feed to enrich a lawn.

Cornish Jack21/06/2020 13:40:59
1228 forum posts
172 photos

As a devoted non-gardener, I can't understand this passion for areas of unremitting green. Happily, our tiny 'garden' is incapable of supporting 'normal' plants but works well with a wide variety of 'weeds'. The varying colours and textures are vastly more visually appealing than manicured green, it's easy to 'maintain' and, most importantly, it encourages a wide variety of insects, especially the bees.

Grass ? ... who needs it?

rgds

Bill

Paul Lousick21/06/2020 14:04:52
2276 forum posts
801 photos

Hot water and Steam will kill weeds and is environmentally safe and friendly

So it is time to fire up your engine or build a boiler and you will have an excelent excuse to tell your wife as to why you are doing it.

Paul

JA21/06/2020 14:06:40
1605 forum posts
83 photos

I am with Bill on this one.

If it is green it is grass. I like small flowers in a lawn even if they are weeds. The last you do is to put down plastic or flag stones.

I like the idea of a meadow type lawn with long wild grass and flowers but I guess it would not be maintenance free unlike my present grass. I pay someone to mow it.

JA

John Haine21/06/2020 14:32:23
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Weeds are a state of mind. We need to wild our lawns to help pollinating insects, plus wild flowers are much prettier than green carpet. Sow yellow rattle to discourage the grass, and a wide variety of wildflowers, cut only once or twice a year.

And don't apply weedkiller, or kill ants.

Edited By John Haine on 21/06/2020 14:33:03

V8Eng21/06/2020 14:49:58
1826 forum posts
1 photos

If I killed all the weeds and moss in our “lawn” then we would mostly have bare earth!

Never seen any rules or wrenches growing can you send some seeds?

Edited By V8Eng on 21/06/2020 14:57:55

colin brannigan21/06/2020 15:07:13
125 forum posts
29 photos

Weed n feed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate