By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Journeyman

Here is a list of all the postings Journeyman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Broken toolmakers clamp.
19/09/2023 18:53:38

I made this pair from stuff in the scrap box, definitely not hardened. Plenty of meat around the holes and I don't really see how you could apply enough force by hand to break them. They are after all designed to be tightened by using the knurled knob.

finpair.jpg

Or are we talking about a different design?

John

Thread: Brazing & corrosion
28/08/2023 11:39:55

How about trying sacrificial zinc anodes to slow the corrosion. Have no idea if they would work for this use but shouldn't cost too much. Some more reading *** HERE ***

John

Thread: 24V rectifier for lighting.
26/08/2023 08:16:38
Posted by Robin Graham on 25/08/2023 22:41:24:

... I think the electrics are now sorted and I'm pondering on the mechanics. A gooseneck rather than an articulated design might be good. I was wondering about this item. It's meant for phones/tablets, but some reviewers complain that it's too stiff/strong so maybe OK for this application? Any suggestions welcome!

Robin.

How about a microphone gooseneck. Fairly standard and available in different lengths. Fittings are available for the threaded ends. From electrical suppliers (CPC, Farnell or Amazon).

fitted.jpg

Home made job for lathe using a cheap pond lamp housing. Made years ago so possibly not available now. Construction details *** HERE ***

John

Thread: Help identify collet chuck
25/08/2023 18:37:54

Appears to be an ISO taper as stated probably INT40 as this is common. These are non-locking tapers having a standard slope of 7:24 (≈16° included angle). There are several different systems all using the same angle taper but with different draw-bar threads, ends and flanges so it can get a bit confusing. There are also several size ranges 30 to 60 but by far the most common is 40, there is a vast range of industrial tooling made with this taper.

• ISO, NT, NMTB, DIN2080 - short parallel section at small end. Equal drive slots.
  • CAT, CV, V-Flange, DIN 69871 - no parallel section. Unequal drive slots.
  • BT, MAS403, DIN6383 - no parallel section. Equal drive slots.

Hope that helps a bit to identify what you have. I somehow doubt that you will be able to machine what you have to fit an R8 taper in the Bridgeport.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 25/08/2023 18:38:33

Thread: Belt/disc sander
24/08/2023 09:30:25

I have a Warco BDS460 Belt/Disc sander. Definitely designed for wood work although useable on metal. It really runs too fast for metal and whatever you are working on gets seriously hot. The dust extract is pretty inefficient and certainly doesn't capture all the sparks even with the shop vac connected. It is messy and whatever you do a layer of dust is distributed over the workshop. The motor as far as I can tell is an open frame 2 pole effort and not protected other than being inside the case.

I did a review when I first got it see BDS460 might be of some interest to those considering purchase.

John

Thread: Beginners First Mill
22/08/2023 10:00:01

Chris, have a look at my web page on milling machines it might help a bit!

John

Thread: I need custard.
15/08/2023 14:50:46

treacle.jpg

Reading too much Terry Pratchett perchance. See The Fifth Elephant to explain the formation of the treacle minewink

John

13/08/2023 16:17:26

Bird's Custard Powder contains no egg the ingredients are simply :-

• Maize Starch
  • Salt
  • Flavouring,
  • Colour (Annatto Norbixin)

So you need to grow some corn and set up a millcheeky
Oh yes, you need to add the milk so you want a suitable source of that.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 13/08/2023 16:19:37

Thread: Wooden shed insulation
09/08/2023 15:20:18

Built my workshop from scratch nearly 50 years ago now. Shiplap board over a light 2" x 1" frame with 2" x 2" corner posts. No membrane under board (not sure it was around then. 2" rockwool insulation in the walls and 4" in the roof. Never had problems apart from having to replace the felt a couple of times. Needs doing again soon and am contemplating putting steel profile sheet 34/1000 over the felt screwed directly to the 1/2" shuttering ply I used originally.

shed090520.jpg

Couple of things I would do differently now. Up the timber frame to 3" x 2" and increase insulation, possibly using Kingspan or Cellotex (order of magnitude more expensive). Originally I fitted thin printed hardboard inside lining (cheap) and I put the wiring in the walls. If I did it now I would use 12mm OSB on the inner walls and use surface mount trunking for the wiring and sockets. Much stronger both for mounting shelves & cupboards and to increase security. Wouldn't use plasterboard, messy and not particularly good for load bearing. Engineering equipment and stock is on the heavy side!

John

Thread: Definition of Handycrafts in Show competition
06/08/2023 15:40:09

Well you can download a DXF file for these at a cost of a mere $15. Operating the machinery I guess requires some skill but the output can neither be considered original nor handicraft.

dragon.jpg

If on the other hand the item is produced from your original artwork then it may well be handicraft.

John

Thread: Damaged Screws & QCTP help!!!
01/08/2023 09:12:41

There are indeed plenty of ways to fit the new stud. I screwed mine in and used the recess for a washer and lock screw.

seejoin.jpg

The new post threaded into top-slide M10 thread

tpcsplate.jpg

Underneath, centre of the post tapped M5 and washer fills the old recess.

lockwash.jpg

Fitted together.

finished.jpg

The end result on my WM250 with the 100 size version (AXA) wedge type QCTP fitted. See my webpage for more info.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 01/08/2023 09:14:32

Thread: Harmonograph
31/07/2023 09:43:56

I can remember making harmonographs at school to show off on an open day (an awful lot of years ago). Made two different versions, one with two pendulums and one with a compound pendulum. The twin pendulum version had a wooden frame, basically a plank with two square holes in. Tthe pendulums were simply steel rod about 3/8" dia 30" below the pivot and about 6" above. The pivots were fabricated from steel bar and rod to form a collar which clamped to the pendulum rod by a bolt in a tapped hole. The pivots were knife edges located in a groove made as i recall by simply filing the edge of a steel bar and a groove cut on a shaper. the bar was brazed onto the collar before drilling the centre hole through the collar and bar. Large lumps of 2" rod were drilled through for the weights again just a tapped hole for a bolt to allow adjustment up and down the rod. The fixed side of the pivot was fixed to a plate which fitted to the frame.

One of the pendulums carried a table fixed to the top and the other a rod to hold the pen suitably counterbalanced. The pendulum with the table swung fore and aft whilst the pendulum with the pen swung left and right. By suitably adjusting the weight up and down different swing periods could be set up.

The single compound pendulum worked much the same but with a shorter main pendulum with another bob on a short rod suspended at the end of the main pendulam rod by means of a short length of fine chain. The arm with the pen was fixed to the table and just pivoted up and down.

Both machines worked quite well as I recall and produced a suitable selection of Lissajous figures duly affixed to the classroom wall. All good fun and I might even have learned something from the exercise. I least I can still remember the basics after nearly 60 years.

John

P.S. Saw a harmonograph being demonstrated at The Midlands Show in 2018

Found a link to a Video of the one at Midlands *** LINK ***

Edited By Journeyman on 31/07/2023 09:46:59

Edited By Journeyman on 31/07/2023 09:49:40

Thread: What is it and what is it for
29/07/2023 09:57:27

Jaws from a sheet metal bender (press brake), might be usable in a bench vice.

presbrake.jpg

From something like this possibly.

John

*** See below for a more accurate answer, Well found Nick ***

Edit: Add Image

Edited By Journeyman on 29/07/2023 10:02:26

Edited By Journeyman on 29/07/2023 10:08:42

Thread: Quick change tool post and ball cutting
24/07/2023 10:32:20

I fitted a wedge type QCTP to my WM250 and find it a useful addition. Can still use the 4-way original post as well so have both options covered. Don't find any particular rigidity problems and if necessary can also do away with the top-slide and just fit the toolpost directly to the cross-slide.

toolpost.jpg

You can see what I did here - Cross-slide toolpost and here top-slide toolpost for the WM250.

John

Thread: Gluten Intolerance
21/07/2023 09:19:40

There is a link between coeliac disease and lactose intolerance. Once on a gluten free diet however the lactose intolerance will likely improve. Other side effects of untreated coeliac disease include iron deficiency anaemia, B12 (folate) deficiency anaemia and osteoporosis. It also has links to dermatitis herpetiformis about a 1 in 4 chance of getting that.

Coeliac disease is unlikely to see you off but can be unpleasant and debilitating.

John

20/07/2023 21:37:29

That Tesco seeded is one of the 'better' gluten free breads. The fact that it was reduced implies that it was far from fresh. I do indeed suffer from coeliac disease so have no choice but to endure these offerings. Believe me they are infinitely better than those available 15 years ago.

All the gluten free loaves dry out very quickly and I find keeping them in the fridge helps to maintain a reasonable texture. Genius, Warburton and Promise all do reasonable facsimiles of 'real' bread. The supermarket own brands are, shall we say variable.

Other grains whilst available aren't necessarily useful for bread making and coeliac sufferers can't have anything with wheat, barley or rye as all contain gluten. The usual flour mixes these days use rice, potato and corn flour along with a few more exotic grains for flavour. Texture remains the big stumbling block with the usual additive being xanthan gum to hold things together.

One day they will find a cure but until then it is make do with non-bread bread, so to speak and pay the exorbitant prices for said exotic concoctions. Usually at least twice the price of a normal loaf. So enjoy the cheap sliced white while you may. Coeliac disease is thought to affect as many as 1 in 100 people and of those probably at least 75% are undiagnosed Just putting up with 'a bad gut' frequently fobbed off with a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome.

Oh well, just grin and bear it.

John

Thread: 1960 mains electric clock
18/07/2023 19:25:53

Probably cheaper, safer and quicker to buy a quartz battery movement (available everywhere) and fit to the face with a suitable adaptor. Similarly fitting the hands to the movement. Will look the same and likely just as accurate.

John

Thread: ways protector for my mini lathe
17/07/2023 09:40:56

I just have a length of plastic DPC material on my WM250. It just bows up a bit if working very close to the headstock. Makes it a little easier cleaning up and stops most of the swarf getting under the saddle.

waycover.jpg

The bolts also serve to prevent swarf getting into the threaded holes for the travelling steady.

John

Thread: One stroke or two?
11/07/2023 16:22:55

When logged in go to 'My Posts' in the green top menu. This will give a list but also has the option to 'View Ignored Members' click on the (X) alongside the name and it will unignore if that's the term.

John

Thread: Workshop Clock
05/07/2023 09:05:34

You might try one of the radio controlled clocks. I have an Acctim battery alarm, keeps perfect time and automatically updates to BST/GMT on the appropriate date. Links to the time signal from Germany.

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate