Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Machinery Handbook

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dalboy30/08/2023 11:23:39
1009 forum posts
305 photos

What are your thoughts on having a machinery Handbook is it worth it.

I have been looking at them on the net and they range greatly in price from the latest addition to very old ones.

I would not think that buying the latest one personally I would not get the use out of it to warrant e price.

If it is worth getting which number addition would be best to get

Clive Brown 130/08/2023 11:38:32
1050 forum posts
56 photos

I have a copy of the 21st edition. Used once in a blue moon. For my amateur modelling use, Zeus and the internet are entirely adequate. Having said that, it is fairly comprehensive but I certainly wouldn't replace it if it disappeared.

roy entwistle30/08/2023 11:40:19
1716 forum posts

I've got 15th edition 1958. I find it very useful but I am mainly imperial

Roy

Baz30/08/2023 11:45:27
1033 forum posts
2 photos

I have two Machinery’s handbooks an 11th edition and a 25th edition, they have been consulted once in the last ten years, I have consulted my edition of Model Engineers Handbook perhaps once every couple of months so I know which one will be going to the charity shop first!

Andrew Johnston30/08/2023 11:45:45
7061 forum posts
719 photos

I've got three, two from the 1940s and one from the 1990s. They are my go to source for engineering information. The older ones in particular have good information on imperial threads and old metric thread standards.

Andrew

Paul Lousick30/08/2023 11:48:02
2276 forum posts
801 photos

The Machinery;s Handbook contains a wealth of information, much of which you will not use. When I was working in Mechanical Engineering, I was given a copy for my birthday (many moons ago). I think it was the 19th edition. The first metric edition. But in the past 20 years have hardly used it and got what I needed from the internet.

If you want to check its content before purchasing a copy, do an internet search. Lots of pdf copies that you can download.

JA30/08/2023 11:59:24
1605 forum posts
83 photos

I have seen copies in my past life but the really useful handbook was Kemps Engineers Year Book. I won a 1974 copy during an office clear out and frequently use it. I also have two copies of Tubal Cain's Model Engineer's Handbook, one in the workshop, the other in the office. They are both interesting books and Tubal Cain does point you in the right direct, pre-internet, if you want further information.

JA

Alan Johnson 730/08/2023 12:38:30
127 forum posts
19 photos

Machinery's Handbook is available as a free download from the U.S. Archives.org site. From the 1924 edition to very recent editions. This was my search:

https://archive.org/search?query=machinery%27s+handbook&and%5B%5D=mediatype%3A%22texts%22

Some are available as a free download, others can be borrowed.

I downloaded the 30th. Edition in large print some tome ago.

SillyOldDuffer30/08/2023 13:22:24
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Machinery's Handbook covers more ground than anything else but it's thousands of pages of small print. One for a clean Design Office rather than a grubby workshop.

In order of preference:

• For speed, the internet. But beware, not everything on the internet is correct!
  • For common workshop needs like screw pitch sizes etc, - laminated A4 pages of info printed off the internet. Oil proof after being laminated.
  • my favourite handy reference that meets most home workshop requirements - Model Engineers Handbook (Tubal Cain)
  • Machinery's for when in-depth or unusual info is needed. How valuable it is depends on what you do: Tubal Cain covers most common questions.
  • For older British, I have a collection of references of which the best is Newnes Engineers Reference Book, 1948. Mostly 1948 modern, including metric, but it covers quite a few legacy items. Books covering British engineering from, say 1840 to 1940, are fascinating because they cover dozens of long forgotten obsolete proprietary standards. British Standards didn't really get going until after WW1 after industry had caused huge problems due to everybody doing their own thing. Most standardisation was done between 1918 and 1945, and reference books from that period are full of changes - date sensitive, approach with caution. They're occasionally useful to me and I expect a restorer would use them much more.

Machinery's hales from the USA, and I doubt even an early edition would cover early British engineering. I have the 20th Edition (1976), and it does US, British and Metric well. Not felt the need to buy a more up-to-date edition yet.

Dave

John MC30/08/2023 13:23:37
464 forum posts
72 photos

Wouldn't be without my 20th edition, used it through a significant part of my working life, not so much now.

Mark Rand30/08/2023 14:05:38
1505 forum posts
56 photos

I've got a 20th edition. It helped me a lot with ACME threads, 22/29 DP stub form gear teeth and spline dimensions when I needed that information.

Dalboy30/08/2023 14:11:00
1009 forum posts
305 photos

Thank you all for your input on this. For the moment I will leave it and if I find that I am desperate I will invest in one. Many that are advertised on the net seem to have to come from America.

I do use my Zues chart a lot as well as my Model Engineers Handbook by Tubal Cain.

bernard towers30/08/2023 14:54:49
1221 forum posts
161 photos

I personally use a Newnes in the workshop as it’s much smaller and has most commonly needed info.

larry phelan 130/08/2023 15:40:37
1346 forum posts
15 photos

I thought one of those books would look well in my workshop too !

Then, I looked around the place and thought "You must be joking "!laugh

Mike Poole30/08/2023 15:44:48
3676 forum posts
82 photos

Gerstner toolmakers chests have a special compartment for a copy of Machinery’s Handbook, toolmakers must have clean hands or wash up to read their copy.

Mike

Neil A30/08/2023 15:49:45
160 forum posts

My Machinery's Handbook is an 11th edition, I don't use it very often, perhaps for searching for odd threads, not much else. Would I buy a newer edition? No, it would not get enough use to warrant the expense.

The Zeus charts get used all the time, I had to buy a new one as I manage to lose my original one. I also use an SKF cutting tool handbook quite often.

Neil

HOWARDT30/08/2023 16:35:41
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Mine is a tenth edition, 1941. I use it very infrequently, both when I worked in a design office and now in a hobby workshop. As others have said Zeus or similar are more useable on a day to day basis. I suppose to an extent it depends on what you are looking to find as the original editions are all imperial, I don't know when they started including more metric. Interesting reading the preface, number of pages increased from the ninth edition by 224 pages to 1816, but they had to be selective about what they left out. It is really a book for the desktop rather than the bench top.

Harry Wilkes30/08/2023 16:48:28
1613 forum posts
72 photos

Used my copy during my working day's and passed it on, but now just a Zeus book.

H

jimmy b30/08/2023 17:25:25
857 forum posts
45 photos

I treat myself to a new copy every 4 years, usually selling the old one for not much less than the cost of a new one.

I also have 30 edition pdf, which can be found online without too much difficulty

Jimb

Nigel McBurney 130/08/2023 17:30:01
1101 forum posts
3 photos

currently I have a 23 third edition and a 10th i did have an edition new in 1967 when I was given the 10th I passed on the 1967 edition to a friend,none cost anything and I frequenly use them particularly for gear calculations,the old one is useful as it is imperial and goes well with my hobby restoring stationary engines,though at my age i would not buy a new one. Lots of info in one book though they can be ruined by dirty fingers so the old one lives in the workshop and the new one is in my study.I also find my 50 year old Machinerys screw thread hand book really useful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate