By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John MC

Here is a list of all the postings John MC has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making aPolishing Mop "Tail"
01/10/2023 07:23:20

I made my own because I thought the commercial ones had too fine a thread, the mop would screen on. And on. Until far too and unnecessarily tight.

I cut the tapered thread by running the lathe very slowly, under 20rpm and withdrawing the cross-slide as the taper increased in diameter. From memory, 2.5mm pitch (10tpi?).

Needs some concentration but quite doable. The result wasn't pretty but has worked for well for many years.

Thread: Average Energy Consumption
30/09/2023 16:00:59

The results I get from my PV's would suggest that it is possible to predict the amount of "generating weather". Over the 10+ years I've had them the export "income" for has been the same +/- £20/annum. I was also able to work out how long it would be to cover the purchase and installations costs, only out by a couple of months in nearly 8.5 years.

While its nice to be able to do ones bit to save the planet, I want a reasonable return on the investment. I'm fortunate in having the old Feed in Tariff still. The SEG tariff is nowhere near as good, a quick calculation suggests that pay back time would almost double. I probably wouldn't bother with a PV installation now.

I looked in to getting a battery recently, the numbers just didn't add up, I would be using the grid to keep the batteries charged during the winter. Also, £7k will (still) buy a lot of electricity.

As for heat pumps, I can see me going that way when I'm too old to shovel coal in to the solid fuel boiler. But first I will continue with my efforts to improve insulation of the house.

Thread: Building a car from scratch
06/09/2023 15:36:21

I've always admired those who can see a big project like this through to the end. Plenty must start these types of project with the best of intentions and never finish having under estimated the work necessary. Looks a good job, well done. Kit cars are not my cup of tea but I still like to see them, especially the well engineered ones.

Interesting what you say about the "poor chap" with the motorcycle. I think he thought this forum is a mutual appreciation society, it isn't. Anything less than total admiration for his efforts was unacceptable it seems. For a forum to function well, as this one does, tolerance of others views is a necessity, the motorcycle guy lacked that tolerance suggesting that this forum was not the place for him.

I

Thread: NALON VIPER 2.5 CC DIESEL
04/09/2023 09:09:53
Posted by KEITH BEAUMONT on 03/09/2023 17:12:22:

Cooling in a tethered car is not as efficient as a prop in front,so perhaps it did heat up somewhat. How did you correct it?

Keith.

I didn't get it fully sorted. Removed the contra-piston, fortunately no galling, polished it, reassembled and and ran it.

My first thought was incompatible metals. Cylinder and piston both cast iron from an unknown source, different expansion rates? Would account for one tightening up, but 4 - 5?

03/09/2023 07:52:14

I would need a lot of persueding that leaving one rubber seal on the front bearing has any effect on performance whatoever. compared to it s use in keeping any muck out of the bearing..

Keith

I agree, the friction from an RS built in type seal is, for all practical purpose, zero. As you say, retaining the outer facing seal is useful for keeping the muck out.

You referred to a discussion of a few years ago about the poor bearing mounting arrangements in this engine, how did you go about correcting this? Interested to know because I was involved in that discussion.

Its been a few years since I ran my version of this engine, might try and resurrect it! The only problem it had was the contra-piston tightened up in the cylinder, needed correcting a few times. Probably heat related, the only time it happened was when the engine was run "in anger" under the bonnet of a tethered car.

Thread: The crumbly concrete problem
03/09/2023 07:20:03

Is RAAC failure the same as "concrete cancer"? My understanding of the current problems of with RAAC is water ingress leading to corrosion of the steel reinforcement.

Concrete cancer is a chemical reaction within the concrete, alkali vs silica(?). This causes spalling of the surface of the structure that, in turn, eventually exposes the reinforcement which then corrodes.

The media seemed to have latched on to the term concrete cancer when it is, in fact, another mode of failure.

Thread: Machinery Handbook
30/08/2023 13:23:37

Wouldn't be without my 20th edition, used it through a significant part of my working life, not so much now.

Thread: Brake line junction block.
27/08/2023 07:31:48
Posted by Tony sacc on 26/08/2023 08:26:37:

Now if I replace the upper hose with a rigid pipe,how would I adjust the MC angle, how would I adjust the handlebar angle, how would I change the handlebars? And then there is the aesthetics: This system fits in with the design of the bike. Maybe, not to everyone's liking, but I haven't built to please everyone, just me!

A rigid pipe would have enough flexibility to allow handlebar and lever adjustment. Changing the bars would, most likely, need a new pipe, flexible or otherwise.

Anyway, looking forward to the next installment!

26/08/2023 17:41:29
Posted by Howard Lewis on 26/08/2023 15:55:42:

Absolutley nothing wrong with banjo style, a safe, reliable and easy way to connect, in this instance, hydraulic brake pipes. The problems arise when the less mechanically able are let loose on them.

Does anyone else find themselves getting somewhat irritated with sweeping statements rubbishing well tried and reliable technology is rubbished as it has been here?

Ah, Not what engine manufacturing finds, and avoids banjos for the reasons stated of multiple leak paths.

Maybe manufacturing industry such as Rolls Royce, Fuel Injection manufacturers,and Perkins, fall into the "less mechanically able" category?

As has been pointed out, pretty much universal fitments on motorcycle brake systems. The hydraulic industry as a whole must use them by the billion. Well thought out reliable tech.

As for the less mechanically able, once a product leaves a factory the manufacturer has lost control over there product, so who knows what might happen,

Having seen so many leaks ,from banjos,on commercial fuel filters, so avoid 'em like the plague, but each to his own.

Maybe gas oil is more searching than hydraulic fluid.

Howard

Really? Filters and water separators are under very low pressure, for these to leak reinforces my point about the "the less mechanically able".

26/08/2023 07:57:37

Absolutley nothing wrong with banjo style, a safe, reliable and easy way to connect, in this instance, hydraulic brake pipes. The problems arise when the less mechanically able are let loose on them.

Does anyone else find themselves getting somewhat irritated with sweeping statements rubbishing well tried and reliable technology is rubbished as it has been here?

Back to the OP's junction block, could have been somewhat more compact. Why not a rigid pipe from the master cylinder to the junction block?

Thread: A few recumbent bikes and trikes I built..
15/08/2023 07:26:29

These bikes seem to have the usual excessively long chain runs for recumbents. Many years ago I was involved in designing a recumbent, this was overcome by building in a hub gear at roughly the midpoint of the chain run to shorten the chain runs

This style of bike is not as good as a conventional bike for hill climbing and this was of some help in setting up the gearing to help with this, to some degree.

I would also suggest to the OP that the pedal position could have been a little lower.

As Adrian R2 pointed out, cycle racing is highly regulated. Another style of bike that cannot compete in the popular side of cycling competition is the small wheeled bike, principally the Moulton bike.

Thread: Thrust Bearing Blocks
12/08/2023 15:50:40

How much end thrust are you expecting? Provided that the spindle is of a reasonable diameter, say 1" - 25mm then plummer blocks with standard (deep groove) ball races will be capable of handling axial loading from wood turning.

To put some numbers to it, the very common 6005 deep groove ball race will be able to take about 1/2 a ton axial (end thrust) load while rotating.

Thread: Taking the p**s!!
03/08/2023 16:00:28

My car doesn't have a filler cap. Just open the flap and shove the nozzle down the 'ole!

There is, supposedly, an anti theft (syphoning) thing down ther somwhere.

No filler cap, one less thing to go wrong?

Thread: Denham Lathe crash :>(
02/08/2023 13:49:44

Good to see that repair has been arranged.

have you checked for any other damage. Distorted gear teeth? What would trouble me most about this sort of mishap is distortion of the bed, not unkown with this sort of crash.

Easy to check with a precision spirit level. If you don't have such a thing then see if the lathe still turns parallel when its up and running again.

Thread: Multiple Bearings in Spindle
23/07/2023 10:38:05

A rather complex solution that can be simplified as Kiwi bloke suggests. Also, remove the spacer between the two nose bearings, clamp them together. Maybe a circlip rather than the M16 threaded holding the outer races?

The mounting of the third bearing is as it should be.

Another thought. Why not reduce the overhang from the nose of the spindle by removing what looks like a plain diameter with spanner flats(?). Then contrive something at the other end of the spindle to hold it while tightening the collet nut.

Its good to see a design that doesn't (grossly) over constrain the bearings as many do, that are published in the world of ME.,

Thread: Do you need an oil change with less than 10,000 miles in 10 years?
19/07/2023 18:41:44
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 19/07/2023 17:16:58:
Posted by John MC on 19/07/2023 11:57:30:
Posted by Mark Rand on 15/07/2023 23:08:52:
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 15/07/2023 22:26:25:

I do an oil and filter change once a year, just before the MOT - this is usually about 8 to 10 thousand miles for me. A mechanic friend told me it helps lower the emissions for the test

Rob

I hope you don't use him as a mechanic...

Why do you think we have low ash content oils (SAPS)?

Not having a clue what they are, I'd never thought about it at all

A quick Google gives me the impression they are for diesel engines - I've never had a diesel.

I guess the validity of the theory could be proved fairly easily by doing an emissions test on a car with old, dirty oil, changing it and then repeating the test. Anyone with free access to an MOT-grade emissions tester?

Rob

Diesel and now petrol have particulate filters so good for both. Engines pass oil in to the combustion chamber in minute amounts, not blue smoke amounts, hopefully! This will have some effect on emission tests, virtually nothing if the engine is in good condition, more so as the engine wears. Oils can also have an effect on valve seat life.

19/07/2023 11:57:30
Posted by Mark Rand on 15/07/2023 23:08:52:
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 15/07/2023 22:26:25:

I do an oil and filter change once a year, just before the MOT - this is usually about 8 to 10 thousand miles for me. A mechanic friend told me it helps lower the emissions for the test

Rob

I hope you don't use him as a mechanic...

Why do you think we have low ash content oils (SAPS)?

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
14/07/2023 11:53:21

Turned back from RIAT because of thw weather?

Thread: Making an alternator that charges 'properly'
12/07/2023 15:27:37

No idea what size or output alternator is being discussed, I'm guessing the article refers to making one? To be driven by steam or IC engine of what size?

Rather than make one, how about using one of these.

screenshot 2023-07-12 at 14-57-05 title kubota 12 volt generator 175316401 155316401 dfjauto.jpg

Known generically as a "Kubota" alternator, I think it has an output of around 150watts. Would probably need 1/3hp to drive it. Will give useful output at around 1500rpm. Price would be around the £90 mark with a suitable rectifier/regulator. The largest diameter is about 85mm. The mounting bracket can be easily modified.

Clearly no good for a Stuart10V/H but good for the larger engines in their range. Could easily be dressed up to look "period". Or sat on the front of a showmans engine?

If anyone needs dimensions of one of these let me know and I will measure one up.

Thread: An expesive day
14/06/2023 14:45:01

Engineering is all about meeting requirements at minimum cost. I've no problem with belts provided they meet the specification, which Steve's didn't. It doesn't mean that all belts are bad. Within specification, belts are lighter, quieter, cheaper, and smoother than chains, plus they don't need a tensioner and are low-maintenance.

This is something of a misconception. Belts will be noisier and less smooth than a well designed chain set up. Consider this, each chain link comprises of a roller on its pin (axle) that will be lubricated with a film of oil that will cushion the "blow" on impact with the sprocket. When the rollers come into contact with the sprocket the same will happen. (Same might be said for a wet belt setup?). That is to say a chain has some resilience in tension compared to a belt that can make a smoother running setup.

As for tensioners, I've yet to see a cam drive setup without a tensioner, belt or chain. Sometimes auto, sometimes manual. I think auto best because it stops gorillas over tensioning and the overly cautious under tensioning.

Cost is, I think, the main reason for using belts in this application. A belt running dry requires a lot less engineering than a wet chain they replaced. Think of it from the production angle rather the than the maintenance angle. Cars are designed for low cost production, maintenance doesn't seem to be given much priority.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate