Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New highway code rule.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart22/01/2022 20:14:34
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I have just noticed this new highway code rule in the news, and appologise now if it was mentioned recently in the forum.

**LINK**

Rod Renshaw22/01/2022 20:42:23
438 forum posts
2 photos

Useful link but misleading, I think.

The headline suggests a £1000 fine for using the" wrong hand" to open the door. But the extract from the Code only encourages use of the opposite hand and advises that one may be fined up to £!000 if one injures someone by opening the door.

Rod

Edited By Rod Renshaw on 22/01/2022 20:45:33

old mart22/01/2022 20:51:01
4655 forum posts
304 photos

The picture is a poor example, as the cyclist is approaching the door from the easily seen direction. I always use both hands, as I have arthritis and cannot hold the door with one hand.

Harry Wilkes22/01/2022 21:21:12
1613 forum posts
72 photos

April 1st comes early !!!

H

Oldiron22/01/2022 22:39:04
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Exited as soon as the Yahoo logo appeared.

regards

Speedy Builder523/01/2022 07:22:25
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Perhaps the code should be extended to "Do not open doors on windy days", Vehicle construction act :- perhaps "All cars after 2024 to have flashing lights fitted to them", Bicycles to have frontal airbags, the list could go on.

In the end, cars are too comfortable and some drivers do not pay attention to the world about them. Some cyclists storm around town without due care.

Its time to go back out to the shed.

Bob

JasonB23/01/2022 07:34:03
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I'd like to know why the cyclist in the photo is riding on the footpath!

bernard towers23/01/2022 09:16:54
1221 forum posts
161 photos

Most people have come to accept that as the norm, I for one don’t.

Brian H23/01/2022 09:17:34
2312 forum posts
112 photos

If you open a door in front of a cyclist (or any other person), what difference does it make what hand you use? Another example of useless rule making.

john halfpenny23/01/2022 09:24:24
314 forum posts
28 photos

The point is that using the opposite hand is much more likely to make the driver look back. It is a very good practice.

Tony Pratt 123/01/2022 09:35:45
2319 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by JasonB on 23/01/2022 07:34:03:

Seems like the 'footpath' is now the norm for cyclists & E-scooters.frown

Tony

Bo'sun23/01/2022 09:41:28
754 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by JasonB on 23/01/2022 07:34:03:

I sort of get the idea behind the "Dutch reach", but as has been said, the example doesn't illustrate it at all, especially when the cyclist (an adult at that) is on the footpath. I'm not sure of the exact wording in the Highway Code, but no one is allowed to ride a bike on a footway unless it is specifically designated for cyclists. Such as, shared and divided paths.

larry phelan 123/01/2022 10:29:32
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Over here, we are allowed to share the path with cyclists/shooters/scateboards ect as long as we dont get in their way or slow them down too much.

I do my best, but I always seem to get my walking aid in the way. Silly me !smiley

Anthony Kendall23/01/2022 10:31:02
178 forum posts
Posted by Brian H on 23/01/2022 09:17:34:

If you open a door in front of a cyclist (or any other person), what difference does it make what hand you use? Another example of useless rule making.

Yes - why not look in the mirror and use which hand is most convenient? Then you'll probably see cyclists approaching in either direction.

Posted by john halfpenny on 23/01/2022 09:24:24:

The point is that using the opposite hand is much more likely to make the driver look back. It is a very good practice.

Doesn't work in the photo does it. Driver looking behind, cyclist approaching from front!

There's lots more stuff on cyclists in the new issue - trying to get my head around the "he who is going straight on has the right of way" rule.

Edited By Anthony Kendall on 23/01/2022 10:43:06

Peter G. Shaw23/01/2022 10:33:31
1531 forum posts
44 photos

I always understood that the idea behind this was to reduce the risk of drivers, in particular, opening their door in the path of a cyclist coming up behind. In which case it is a laudable aim. But, I would ask, what about that item, usually attached to the door which comprises a highly reflective surface, commonly called a mirror? Shouldn't the aim be to train drivers to use that device?

And what about drivers with mobility problems? I for one suffer from a problem which restricts my ability to twist which means that attempting to open a right-hand drivers door with my left hand is extremely difficult. (And yes, before anyone asks the obvious question, I do use an additional mirror for that offside blind spot.)

Now about the nearside. Who is going to be responsible if a passenger opens a door as a cyclist is passing on that side? The driver? After all, the driver is not responsible if a passenger over the age of 14 refuses to wear a seatbelt, so why should the driver accept any responsibility for adult passengers?

In a similar manner, who is responsible if a rear seat passenger opens the offside door? Are we to find that registered keepers/owners/drivers become responsible for naming passengers in the event of an accident caused by a less than careful passenger? Eg as already exists for some motoring offences.

I wonder, as well, if the car owner would have any recourse to gaining funds from a cyclist for repairs to the vehicle if it could be shown that the cyclist took no steps to announce his/her presence, eg using a bell etc.

I see so many problems arising.

Peter G. Shaw

p.s. As a matter of interest, and triggered by the Yahoo picture, I wonder what the legal situation would be if a pedestrian, legally walking on the pavement, accidently or otherwise, managed to knock a cyclist off their bicycle when said cyclist is illegally cycling on a pavement.

Bo'sun23/01/2022 11:03:10
754 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 23/01/2022 10:33:31:

p.s. As a matter of interest, and triggered by the Yahoo picture, I wonder what the legal situation would be if a pedestrian, legally walking on the pavement, accidently or otherwise, managed to knock a cyclist off their bicycle when said cyclist is illegally cycling on a pavement.

I would hazard a guess that the cyclist would be to blame, as they shouldn't be there in the first place, and if the pedestrian was injured, the cyclist would be liable to pay compensation, plus a £50 "on the spot" fine for riding on the footpath.

Mike Poole23/01/2022 11:09:02
3676 forum posts
82 photos

If a cyclist gets hit by a car door they must be natural born stupid, if they cycle close enough for a door to to hit them then it should not be a surprise when it eventually happens.

Mike

Dusty23/01/2022 11:27:43
498 forum posts
9 photos

I am afraid this is all academic, under The Motor Vehicles construction and use regulations it is an offence to open the door to the danger of others. If you open the door of a motor vehicle and damage or injury is caused to another then it is down to you, no arguments.

Paul M23/01/2022 11:29:18
86 forum posts
4 photos

Makes me think a new series of Interesting Cases could be based on the Highway Code. Members of a certain age will probably recall the series.

I wrote to the Chief constable of my local police force asking him how many cyclists have been fined for riding on the pavement or footpath, or without lights. No reply as yet.

If a car door is opened and a cyclist without lights riding after dusk hits the car, who is to blame? In our area street lights are now LED and provide little illumination apart from under a lamppost.

Motorists will now have to give way to pedestrians intending to cross a road that you are turning into and don't forget to look out for cyclists on your near side as well as cyclists on the pavement about to shoot across the junction. All makes sense if everyone sticks to the rules but that will never happen.

I have invested in a front and rear view dash cam.

KWIL23/01/2022 11:48:59
3681 forum posts
70 photos

Have just returned home. At a nearby traffic lights, as they changed from red, a cyclist swept past me on the off side passed the car in front and then cut in front of that car. If the front car had been heavy footed when the lights changed, one splatted cyclist!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate