By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: M-DRO help?
02/10/2023 17:29:58

Good afternoon all,

Well, would you Adam & Eve it. Over the weekend I got my partner to give me her thoughts (she's a better button pusher than me). Low and behold, doing nothing different, the DRO burst into life, and "touch wood" has been fine ever since.

This afternoon a gentleman from M-DRO (Allendale) called in response to my enquiry, and although there wasn't much he could say, he did suggest the cause may be due to the unit having been unused for some time. Which is the case. Apparently, unlike some units that use membrane switches, the MDC700 uses mechanical switches, so who knows?

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Thread: What is EN58 used for?
01/10/2023 13:41:29

When I worked in the foundry industry some while ago, we used magnetic stainless steel for items like conveyor drums in the sand reclaim area, to catch cast iron fragments before the sand went to the mullers (drum mixers).

01/10/2023 13:32:29

Thank you Andries,

I'll give it a try, but it's not what the M-DRO guidelines tell you to do. The problem is, all worked fine previously, but now it's just stopped working. Let's see what Allendale (M-DRO) have to say next week. Fortunately it's still under warranty (just).

01/10/2023 11:00:37

Thank you Pete,

A good suggestion to get the project moving. I'll give it my best shot after lunch.

Thread: simple loop alarm for exhibits
30/09/2023 13:37:14

Maplin. Halcyon days when shops sold useful things.

30/09/2023 12:34:17

Thanks Steve,

That's exactly what I'm doing, but pressing the Y (axis location) key doesn't display "0" as shown in your video. I fear something may be amiss with the MDC700 unit. I'll see what M-DRO have to say next week.

30/09/2023 12:25:13

Clive,

In answer to your questions:

1) The reading does not halve when the 1/2 function key is pressed. It stays on the Y (axis location) reading.

2) The reading does not freeze, but counts until the zero position is half of the two edge finder locations. ie; If the two edge finder locations are 24mm apart, zero (centre location) appears to be 12mm.

Duncan,

Changing the sequence does not work.

30/09/2023 11:52:52

Thanks duncan,

I'll try that, but it's not the sequence shown in the M-DRO manual that's worked previously.

30/09/2023 11:39:04

Clive,

I'll check this afternoon.

30/09/2023 10:47:48

Hi Nealeb,

Find one edge and press the zero key for the appropriate axis (Y in this case).

Find the opposite edge and press axis selection key.

Press the 1/2 function key.

Display would previously have shown the centre of the part to be 0.000 (as it should), but now shows it as half the centre distance between the two edge finder positions.

Hope that's clear.

30/09/2023 09:41:11

Morning all,

Here's hoping someone can help. I've contacted M-DRO (Allendale) but won't get an answer until at least Monday, and I would realy like to press on.

I've had the DRO for a year or two and it's been fine up until now.

The "centre find" function on my MDC700 isn't doing as I understand it should.

Following the user manual, instead of displaying 0.000 as the centre of the part, it displays the centre as what appears to be, half of the distance between the two edge finder centre locations. I hope that makes sense?

I was wondering if I need to reset something?

Thread: London Model Engineering exhibition at Alexandra Palace
27/09/2023 17:25:19

It's not just Engineering exhibitions that are woefully short/absent here in the south, but Woodworking shows too. In fact, it seems that anything vaguely practical seems to have suffered the same fate.

Thread: Making aPolishing Mop "Tail"
26/09/2023 18:23:07

Hello Vic,

It was just a thought that might get Andrew up and running. Though I'll be the first to admit, it's not ideal.

26/09/2023 16:35:20

Hi Andrew,

Something else occurred to me. I'm not sure, but polishing mops may, to start with, have a parallel bore. A simple mandrel may work for you. A coarse thread may help, but check the direction of rotation.

I'd check the mops I have, but they've all been on pig tails so have tapered bores.

Good luck with the "challenge" if that's the route you take.

26/09/2023 11:35:38

Hi Andrew,

Why do you want to make one? Unless you just want the experience of course. They're not very costly to buy.

Thread: 'Thread' clean-up
26/09/2023 11:28:59

Hi gerry,

Do you have a fixed steady you could use to support the work without the tailstock?

Thread: 'Cutting Edge Engineering' attempts to repair a large casting
25/09/2023 09:58:28

I take my hat off to Kurtis for giving it his best shot. He did at least warn the customer it may not work. We could all learn a thing or two from his approach to repairing stuff.

Thread: Trying to identify a bird-feeder thread.
19/09/2023 11:21:45

Sam,

Looking at Ed's images, the feeder looks (to me anyway) to be die-cast rather than plastic.

Thread: SX2P electronics
07/09/2023 13:57:13
Posted by JasonB on 07/09/2023 12:04:32:

Reverse is handy for machine tapping, back spot facing or if you don't want to grind a special tool when using a boring head to do external work to name but a few

Hi Jason,

Sorry if this off topic, but when using a boring head (with a threaded arbor) in reverse, isn't there a risk it might unscrew?

Thread: Lathe tool holder needed or it's identification.
06/09/2023 14:01:10

Well Richard, that's a relief. I'm obviously not the only one to experience such a problem. I have a couple of Warco tool holders, and a couple of "T51" tool holders from Amazon where the cam either doesn't engage, or is only just in effect.

The solution was some strips of metal about 0.3mm thick and 4mm wide, stuck into the slots with JB Weld. Some tight packing was required until set, to ensure a minimal adhesive thickness.

A small dab of paint reminds me which tool holders have the mod, so that I fit them to the tool post with a little more care.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate