Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

SMR's a conundrum.

SMR's A conundrum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
J Hancock08/11/2021 10:18:06
869 forum posts

So , it has been decided , SMR's are the answer to our 'energy problem'.

Except , now , today , S( small ) has become B (big)..

500MW big , which is , approx. the actual output of each of our current AGR reactors !

And of course , no running design exists for a scale up to that size ,

Which means a new untested design, delays , etc, etc , can we really afford to wait that long ?

Tony Pratt 108/11/2021 10:26:53
2319 forum posts
13 photos

Don't you love abbreviationsfrown

Tony KDM

John Rudd08/11/2021 11:44:37
1479 forum posts
1 photos

I used to hate TLA's when I was working....

Thought I'd seen the end of them...sad

A Smith08/11/2021 11:49:17
104 forum posts
4 photos

Small Modular Reactors = 500Mw

Hinckley Point = 3.2Gw

J Hancock08/11/2021 13:39:31
869 forum posts

Hinkley Point B , 2 x 660MW reactors but only output 500MW.

I wouldn't class them as 'small ' or even 'modular'.

SillyOldDuffer08/11/2021 15:04:26
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Small Modular Reactors aren't the preferred terminology, things are moving on. Government interest is in Advanced Modular Reactors, made in a factory and small enough to be assembled in a space the size of a football stadium. Reactors could be as big as 1000MW. Timescale: in service before 2050.

Six different types of technology under consideration, two of which are well understood. Forgive the alphabet soup, they are: HTGR/VHTR, SFR, SCWR, GFR, LFR and MSR.

As always with Nuclear, main cause of concern is the cost of decommissioning or having a catastrophic accident.

Dave

Ady108/11/2021 15:44:30
6137 forum posts
893 photos

100 billion plus the last time I looked at the windscale cleanup

That would buy a lot of windmills

Russell Eberhardt08/11/2021 16:29:39
2785 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/11/2021 15:04:26:

As always with Nuclear, main cause of concern is the cost of decommissioning or having a catastrophic accident.

Dave

Small cost compared with destroying the planet by burning coal!

Russell

Pete Rimmer08/11/2021 16:54:05
1486 forum posts
105 photos

I should think that adding Surface Mount Resistors would reduce the power available not increase it smile

Bazyle08/11/2021 18:07:11
6956 forum posts
229 photos

How many cars can 500MW recharge per night?

Michael Gilligan08/11/2021 20:30:23
23121 forum posts
1360 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 08/11/2021 18:07:11:

How many cars can 500MW recharge per night?

How long is a piece of string ??

MichaelG.

A quick check suggests that 50 to 100 kWh per car might be a reasonable estimate of capacity, so I’m sure you can do the math.

duncan webster08/11/2021 21:07:46
5307 forum posts
83 photos

Six different types of technology under consideration, two of which are well understood. Forgive the alphabet soup, they are: HTGR/VHTR, SFR, SCWR, GFR, LFR and MSR.

Dave

Nuclear causes least deaths per TWhr of all forms of power, see stats. It gets a bad press because when something goes wrong it can be spectacular, but it goes wrong very infrequently. Just to take 2 entries from the link, coal 100,000 deaths per TWhr, nuclear 90. Lower than hydro, because people get killed in dam bursts. However, don't think I'm cynical if I say that studies into more advanced reactors are just a way of kicking the can down the road. No government in the UK will have the guts to actually order nuclear reactors. We own the design of AGRs, we've built and operated 12 and they have all exceeded there design life with no incidents. We also make the fuel. They are more thermally efficient than PWRs and have a higher fuel burn up. The prototype WAGR has now been decommissioned and dismantled and the waste put into safe storage. Why don't we just build some more? The highly active waste generated from one person's lifetime electricity consumption if all generated by nuclear would fit in a baked bean tin

78% of France's electricity comes from nuclear, and at present we are getting 6% of our electricity by the interconnect, so added to the 17% from our own stations we get 22% from nuclear

Edited By duncan webster on 08/11/2021 21:09:39

J Hancock09/11/2021 08:30:09
869 forum posts

Just as we ironed out all the tiny problems with the AGR's ALL the supporting industries were closed down.

The 'cheap and cheerful' PWR became the 'go to' design and build.

The PWR design is , I believe , basically 'ours' anyway Rolls sold to Westinghouse ?

The idea we should have 'submarine size/type ' reactors in every town is a myth currently being destroyed.

Ady109/11/2021 09:26:09
6137 forum posts
893 photos

Rolls-Royce gets funding to develop mini nuclear reactors

**LINK**

Samsaranda09/11/2021 09:26:17
1688 forum posts
16 photos

New reactors in service before 2050! We need extra generating capacity NOW, the grid is being run on a knife edge, if we have a severe winter and the indications given by El Niño in the Pacific look like that may be so, then we are going to probably run out of generating capacity this winter. If the weather is severe then the interlinks with the continent cannot be relied upon, they will need all the power they can generate for themselves, throw into the mix that Russia may well tinker with the gas supplies, either by upping the price considerably or reducing the supplied amount. Unfortunately we cannot rely on any government to make the bold decision to go forward with development of nuclear, add to that the extra demand being created by EVs, the prospects as of this moment don’t look too healthy. Dave W

Circlip09/11/2021 09:32:00
1723 forum posts

BOGOFF?

Regards Ian.

Michael Gilligan09/11/2021 09:37:43
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

So what does the additional F stand for, Ian ?

[dare we ask]

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer09/11/2021 10:44:23
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 08/11/2021 16:29:39:

Dave

Small cost compared with destroying the planet by burning coal!

Russell

I agree. Unfortunately, burning fossil fuels has turned out to be extraordinarily dangerous too. It's unfortunate history that those building early nuclear powers stations lied and fudged about the cost of decommissioning. At a time when no-one understood global warming, only cost mattered. Nuclear energy was cheaper than coal provided you didn't worry about cleaning up.

Now it's understood the cost of cleaning up after coal is also horrendous, if it can be done at all. The actual cost/risk balance is better understood today, and I'd be surprised if Nuclear electricity wasn't a major player in future. Green electricity may be clean and cheap, but it's erratic and difficult to store. Something is needed to handle the base load (about 20GW in the UK) and nuclear looks to be the best option at the moment.

If something better turned up I'd dump nuclear in a blink. Human error is my worry: locating a nuclear power-station on the sea-shore in an earthquake zone vulnerable to tsunamis was bad decision, as was putting a new-boy martinet in charge of a foolish speed trial on a sensitive reactor with the safety procedures in a badly maintained mess.

Unqualified politicians may not be at the actual controls, but they can't keep their paws off budgets, deciding where stuff is built, who is put in overall charge, placing contracts and setting silly operating targets. Some are even paid to lobby for vested interests rather than represent the views of their electors.

Dave

Oven Man09/11/2021 10:52:43
204 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Ady1 on 08/11/2021 15:44:30:

100 billion plus the last time I looked at the windscale cleanup

That would buy a lot of windmills

Reliablity of supply is the name of the game and you certainly don't get it with wind power.

Some people think extracting energy from the wind could have unintended consequences elsewhere. Interesting thought.

I do think there is a big place for nuclear in the general mix of electricity supply and has been mentioned on here it is a lot safer than many people think.

We had a day trip to Calder Hall when I was at school, If I remember correctly we were allowed to get quite close to the action, standing on top of the reactor. One of the best school trips I ever went on.

Peter

An Other09/11/2021 17:59:06
327 forum posts
1 photos

Rolls-Royce seems to be going ahead with SMRs

Link

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate