Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

oil blackening

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Garry Coles29/04/2021 20:17:34
121 forum posts
100 photos

Hi, I'm at the cleaning, priming and painting stage now on my D & NY traction engine, and I would like to oil blacken all the cogs & gears but not sure about the heating temp to be used on cast iron. Will this be okay to do, and what sort of oil is used. I could just paint them matt black but was wondering about oil blackening. Any suggestions please.

Garry

bernard towers29/04/2021 22:12:35
1221 forum posts
161 photos

+ 1 for chemical blacking

Emgee29/04/2021 22:15:43
2610 forum posts
312 photos

Garry,

See this previous thread:

Blackening steel - Caswell Black-Ox kit

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=137955

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 29/04/2021 22:16:01

Edited By Emgee on 29/04/2021 22:19:16

oldvelo29/04/2021 22:57:27
297 forum posts
56 photos

Wash clean the parts in petrol or Meths to remove any oil. Work in low light or deep shade.

Heat with LPG torch to dull red and drop into a container used used diesel engine oil, Metal preferably one with a lid.

Keep the torch well away from the gas cloud that forms it is highly flamable.

Be prepared for fire fighting if it catches fire from the hot metal by putting on the lid.

Works well on most steels and cast iron.

Eric

noel shelley29/04/2021 22:58:49
2308 forum posts
33 photos

Will it work on cast iron ? Noel

duncan webster29/04/2021 23:39:26
5307 forum posts
83 photos

I have a recipe somewhere using boiling caustic soda/sodium nitrate solution which all sounds very dangerous. If anyone wants to try it I will try to find it

Thor 🇳🇴30/04/2021 05:55:32
1766 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Garry,

I haven't tried oil blackening on Cast Iron, only small steel parts. I heat the work to about 270 deg.C to 300 and then apply linseed oil oil (burn the rag afterwards). You may need to reheat and apply oil more than once. Find a piece of scrap Cast Iron and try to get some experience and see if it gives the result you want.

Thor

Ray Lyons30/04/2021 07:07:25
200 forum posts
1 photos

I have a tin of used engine oil which works well. Heat the metal to just below red and then dip in using a wire. Sometimes takes a couple of dips to get the right colour and it lasts for ages without further treatment

Garry Coles30/04/2021 07:21:14
121 forum posts
100 photos

Thanks everyone for the useful info.

DiogenesII30/04/2021 07:50:07
859 forum posts
268 photos
Posted by noel shelley on 29/04/2021 22:58:49:

Will it work on cast iron ? Noel

I wondered the same thing..?

For steel, I'm not too keen on used engine oil, I find that organic (vegetable) oils give a noticeably 'blacker' and more even finish - linseed gives very good results..

noel shelley30/04/2021 09:36:01
2308 forum posts
33 photos

If machined to size and heated to red there may well a degree of stress relief - or distortion to contend with. Bear this in mind, it may look good but will it still fit ? Noel

Douglas Johnston30/04/2021 11:31:31
814 forum posts
36 photos

I think it is unwise to use engine oil that has been in an engine. I'm sure I read somewhere that there is a cancer risk with that approach. I use cheap supermarket rape seed oil and that works well for me.

Doug

Rod Renshaw30/04/2021 12:57:02
438 forum posts
2 photos

Oil blackening is a traditional process. It's in all the old books - "heat to red or nearly so and chuck it in old, used oil, the older the better." Lots of fumes so do it outside. If the parts are small and there is plenty of oil it won't (usually) catch fire, but be prepared that it might.

But times change, engine oils and petrol now contain additives, who knows what the fumes may contain, we are more aware of the risks, best avoided.

Vegetable oil works okay and won't be as potentially toxic, and many of us still harden/ toughen tooling in oil, so use that, but still do it outside - and the fire hazard is still there unless the parts are very small.

As has been said, any heating process may cause distortion.

Chemical blackening works, some makes are more durable than others. Some will only work on mild steel and not stainless, so you may need to check the one you choose will work on cast iron.

Any of these processes, heat or chemical, needs very good cleaning/ degreasing etc to get an even finish.

Rod

Martyn Edwards 230/04/2021 17:06:28
21 forum posts
34 photos

Back in the day it was Whale Oil.......Oh my!

Swarf, Mostly!30/04/2021 19:16:38
753 forum posts
80 photos

Hi there, all,

What if the item to be blacked is an assembly of three parts, silver soldered together?

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Pete.30/04/2021 19:25:50
910 forum posts
303 photos

Good cold black kits have 4 parts, a cleaner, an acidic etch, the black, the oil, they work very well on cast iron, providing it doesn't have decades of oil and grime worked into the surface.

The daisy wheel on this press I restored is cast iron, I skimmed 0.3mm off the face to assure a clean surface, all the black parts on this were cold blackened.

J&s press 1

Emgee30/04/2021 20:19:01
2610 forum posts
312 photos
Posted by Martyn Edwards 2 on 30/04/2021 17:06:28:

Back in the day it was Whale Oil.......Oh my!

I have some that was came with some tools including a kiln I bought from a retired toolmaker, I still use it for quenching gauge plate and silver steel tooling, perhaps the ss doesn't get as hard as water quenching but doesn't need tempering. Does leave a nice even black finish as in tools below.

Emgee

8e.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate