By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Garry Coles

Here is a list of all the postings Garry Coles has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BR 2-6-4 Tank Loco
11/06/2023 19:14:30

Hi,I was wondering if anybody out there is or was building a BR 2-6-4 Tank engine to the Doug Hewson design. If so, I would like to make contact and discuss a few things.

Thanks

Garry

Thread: Boiler construction
25/01/2023 16:33:34

I live in Jersey and as far I know there are no model boiler inspectors over here.

25/01/2023 14:43:24

Hi, I want to buy a copper boiler for a 5in gauge loco that I will be building. I've had various quotes that have ranged from £3100 for TIG welded to £6500 for silver soldered. My question is, what are the pros & cons for silver soldered or TIG welding. Which would you recomend.

Garry

Thread: Model engineers
05/01/2023 17:07:28

Hi, Can anyone help me please. Do you know of anyone over here in Jersey that makes steam engineering models, such as stationary steam engines and steam locomotives. I would really like to meet someone with the same interest.
Thanks
Garry

Thread: Stuart No 4
01/01/2023 10:51:47

Thanks for the info on bumping & the postion of the lubricator.

Garry

01/01/2023 08:11:18

bump ???

31/12/2022 07:58:19

Hello

I'm building a Stuart No 4 and would like to know if a displacment lubricator can be fitted directly to the side of the valve chest. Or does it need to be connected to the steam inlet.
I have seen other pictures of them fitted to the valve chest, but I wondered if it works OK.
Happy new year fellow model builders.
Garry

Thread: Stuart No 4 valve timing
25/10/2022 22:02:51

Thanks Jason, that's what I thought.

25/10/2022 18:49:36

Hi, I'm building the Stuart No 4 and I'm in the middle of making the two eccentrics for the reversing gear. The two of them are pinned together at 33 degs/66 degs apart. I was wondering how critical is the timing for the running of the engine. I am finding it difficult to get it exactly right. So if it's a degree or to out will it make much difference to the running. When I was machining the eccentrics, I lost the middle line reference. So that's why i'm finding it so difficult.

Can anyone advise me on this please.

Thanks

Garry

Thread: Magnetic bronze
30/09/2022 15:59:13

Thanks. Never realised that the bronze family had so many variations.

30/09/2022 14:04:22

Hi. Many years ago I obtained two 12 in X 1 in diameter bronze looking round bar. I didn't know what sort of bronze it was, so it was not going to be used on any thing important. I thought it would come in handy for something one day. And today it did. I am machining up some pipe flanges for a globe valve. The bar machines very nicely. Now, when I was cleaning the lathe afterwards I noticed that a magnet that I had close by had some of the bronze on it. On closer inspection I found it to be only very slightly magnetic. Can someone enlighten me as to what this sort of bronze is.

Thanks

Garry

Thread: Traction Engine Castings
26/08/2022 07:47:25

Hi Bill, it's definitely Durham & North Yorkshire castings as I have just finished building mine this year.

Garry

Thread: Displacement lubricator
02/08/2022 17:10:50

Hi. I have a question about the position of the Displacement lubricator on a stationary engine. I have seen many pictures on the net with the Displacement lubricator mounted on the side of the steam chest. Does this position work. I thought the idea was to have it in the steam supply pipe so the passing of the steam drags some of the oil with it.

Thanks

Garry

Thread: Painting gloss
25/06/2022 08:44:42

Hi.

Have just finished building my Stuart No 9 and I am in the middle of painting it using the Stuart gloss paints. The instructions on the tin says to leave for 24 hours before overcoating. But with gloss you usually should rub down inbetween coats to create a key for the next coat. But with such small parts, you can't get to all the surfaces. So, will the paint adhere to the first coat as the paint is still fresh.

Garry

Thread: Governor drive belt
19/06/2022 22:11:56

Thanks for the ideas. I have ordered some "O" ring and will try this first and if that is no good I will try some of the other ideas.

Garry

17/06/2022 13:18:19

Thanks for the "O" ring idea. I will try that and see what happens.

17/06/2022 08:04:07

Hi. Regarding the Stuart Turner governor spring belt. Once you screw the ends together, how do you get them apart again. It seems that when you screw them together the spring opens up slightly, but it seems impossible to unsrew because the spring tightens up. And is there other types of belt that will work as well on this sort of Governor.

Thanks

Garry

Thread: Pipe lagging
05/04/2022 06:59:47

Thanks, have now got a few ideas on what to use.

04/04/2022 18:47:09

Hi, I want to lag some of the 3/16 copper pipe coming out of my stand alone boiler, and was wondering what sort of material you guys use. Any ideas please.

Thanks

Garry in SUNNY jersey !!

Thread: Piston ring grooves
17/01/2022 18:37:37

Thats helpful, thanks for your replies.

Garry

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate