Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Recommendations for rust prevention?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom S.24/08/2018 11:42:37
8 forum posts

Hello,

Having just gone through an insanely humid British... (summer?), it seems my poor brand new Chinese mini lathe has suffer a mild amount of surface rust. As a newbie, does anyone have any recommendations for rust prevention on non-oiled surfaces (chucks, top surfaces, etc)?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

ChrisB24/08/2018 12:03:18
671 forum posts
212 photos

More oil! I get the same problems in my workshop, any thing which is bare steel will get a lick of gear oil...it seems to stick for quite a while than like WD40.

Hopper24/08/2018 12:10:02
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Spray-on lanolin.

peak424/08/2018 12:32:20
2207 forum posts
210 photos

ACF-50 is much favoured by the motorcycling fraternity

Bill

Mick B124/08/2018 13:17:22
2444 forum posts
139 photos

I get it off with scotchbrite (or the B&Q lookalike green scouring pads) and WD40. Takes it off as if it was never there.

I can't imagine anything I'd want to coat chuck or crosslide with - if it stuck it'd attract dust and swarf and be difficult to get clean, for example for precise location of chuck jaws and vertical slide - and if it didn't stick it'd be no good anyway.

Jon Lawes24/08/2018 13:56:49
1078 forum posts

Rightly or wrongly I use duck oil, but as mentioned before sometimes lots of sticky oil is less than desirable. More than anything I would say make sure it is covered with a breathable material, I use a couple of old bath towels. This helps to avoid condensation which in turn keeps the rust at bay. My Lathe has stayed rust free despite many years in my grandfathers unheated, partially underground workshop.

SillyOldDuffer24/08/2018 14:11:24
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Condensation is as much to do with temperature change as humidity: warm damp air loses moisture to a cold surface.

Try and keep the lathe warmer than the air and/or damp air away from the lathe. A plastic cover would help do that, and a blanket is even better. Covers aren't too much bother on small machines. Keeping the lathe well smeared in grease or oil is a good idea because that keeps water droplets away from the metal.

Condensation is more serious in a damp poorly insulated outhouse or shed than inside a proper building. This is mainly because well insulated buildings don't suffer such big temperature swings, and may be heated or air conditioned as well. Also worth eliminating any obvious sources of damp, like combustion, rising damp, single skinned walls, or a leaky roof.

Dave

Dalboy24/08/2018 16:27:10
1009 forum posts
305 photos

I know this may not work for some machines but thing like my bandsaw which has a cast table I give it a coat of paste wax and then buff it no only does it protect from rust but also helps with sliding things across it in my case at the moment mainly Wood. I also keep an electric greenhouse heater in the workshop to keep the temperature just above freezing and have not had any problems with any of my machines

john fletcher 124/08/2018 17:14:46
893 forum posts

I have a home made wooden shed as a workshop and have a dehumidifier running almost continually. I bought the dehumidifier second hand 28 years ago. When I first got the dehumidifier I monitored the power used ( I have KWH meter) and wasn't a lot, about 200 watt when on, its cycles on/off as required.I thought one has to decide whether you want a rust free workshop or not. Not intending to be the riches man in the church yard. John

Sherlock24/08/2018 17:40:14
52 forum posts
11 photos

Another vote for ACF-50, but it does leave a slightly greasy film on it, which may not be desirable? You can also try the disposable de-humidimiers the silica ones, cheap enough and pretty good just place near the machine

Samsaranda24/08/2018 17:41:16
1688 forum posts
16 photos

I am with you John, I run a dehumidifier at night on economy 7 and that with plenty of insulation keeps my freestanding workshop rust free. Can’t insulate enough with a workshop, helps to keep temperatures relatively stable, it’s fluctuations in temperature that help with depositing condensation which = rust.

Dave W

Cornish Jack24/08/2018 17:54:12
1228 forum posts
172 photos

+1 for dehumidifier(s). As for rust removal, recent mentions of Lidl items could include Pattex spray cans of rust remover - VERY good! Don't know how long lasting the effects are, though.

rgds

Bill

Bazyle24/08/2018 18:18:18
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Beeswax for things you are going to handle, unless you like the taste of grease on your biscuits. But not furniture or car polish which contain silicone. Never a plastic cover because they sweat but do cover with natural fibre blanket or sheet because they absorb the condensation that falls down. Yes condensation falls down. If you ever look at stuff that has been static in shed for a while the top surface is always worse than the rest.

larry phelan 124/08/2018 20:43:41
1346 forum posts
15 photos

Rust is like arthritis,and the man who finds the answer to one or the other,has his money made !!

How do I know ? Ask me !!

Try this,try that,try the other -------------?

Next question please ?

Dalboy24/08/2018 21:25:37
1009 forum posts
305 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 24/08/2018 18:18:18:

Beeswax for things you are going to handle, unless you like the taste of grease on your biscuits. But not furniture or car polish which contain silicone. Never a plastic cover because they sweat but do cover with natural fibre blanket or sheet because they absorb the condensation that falls down. Yes condensation falls down. If you ever look at stuff that has been static in shed for a while the top surface is always worse than the rest.

Yes I agree silicon free.

The paste wax that I use which is for furniture has no silicon in it the name is Woodwax22 supplied by Chestnut products.

Mark Rand24/08/2018 21:49:34
1505 forum posts
56 photos

If it's woodspoiling equipment, then wax can be your friend.

If it's metalspoiling equipment, then use the way oil that you use on the ways...

I.M. OUTAHERE24/08/2018 23:41:31
1468 forum posts
3 photos

I use spray on lanolin and it has saved my machines from serious condensation many times !

This year was the worst and one morning i went out into the workshop early only to find my machines literally dripping wet , it looked like they had just been hosed down but the lanolin protected them .

The good thing with lanolin is it doesn't smell and is a natural product , the down side is once it dries you have to use a degreaser or wd40 to loosen it up especially if you have applied a heave coating .

I just spray some on some papre towel and wipe the machine over but in winter i tend to apply a heavier coat .

thaiguzzi25/08/2018 09:41:05
704 forum posts
131 photos
Posted by Mark Rand on 24/08/2018 21:49:34:

If it's woodspoiling equipment, then wax can be your friend.

If it's metalspoiling equipment, then use the way oil that you use on the ways...

Yep, agree, way oil (or hydraulic 32 or 68 oil) on a paper towel wiped over any steel or iron surface.

Regards from the land of humidity...

Edited By thaiguzzi on 25/08/2018 09:41:26

Howard Lewis25/08/2018 17:44:45
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Yes, this year, my normally rust proof shop contents have shown signs of light surface. East Anglia, U K

The shop, (10'9" x 6'9" external) is well insulated (50mm glassfibre between 19mm wooden outer cladding, 12mm ply inner. No windows, similarly insulated rubber roof, but with vent at high level in back wall, (weatherproof cover over intake for 6"fan) with two small fixed vents near to floor level.

The low level vents are important to allow the heavy moist air to escape.

In the old shop, the oil on the Myford used to go grey!. In this one moisture problems are almost unknown, put down to good insulation and ventilation. For winter (frosty) a 60 watt tubular heater under a bench is switched on to keep the temperature above ambient outside. After a day nor so, the steel benches even begin to feel warm.

Howard

Cyril Bonnett25/08/2018 21:10:07
250 forum posts
1 photos

Large wooden shed, no insulation, 5 litres of wd40, no rust, no mess. Giant spiders though.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate