Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

London model engineering exhibition

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveb20/01/2018 12:59:49
631 forum posts
14 photos

I went to the Alexandra Palace model engineering exhibition yesterday with my wife. As we walked through the doors from the Palm Court a young man dressed in blazer and flannels called after my wife, 'Bag! What's in the bag?' He was most unappreciative of my reply! I understand that the organisers H&S assessment may have considered a baggage search necessary but there was no clear signage of what was going on. It was clumsy and badly organised.

Daveb

Edited By daveb on 20/01/2018 13:10:49

Stueeee20/01/2018 16:14:29
144 forum posts

Well I was there yesterday. Having spotted that there were a several odd cans of (presumably confiscated) beer on the floor under the bag searchers table, I just swiftly marched past said bag searchers and kept my 'lunchtime lubrication' cans of Speckled Hen in my backpack .

Not sure why they would feel the need to confiscate beer, if there have been any cases of 'Model Engineering hooliganism' at this or other ME shows, they must have happened when I wasn't looking. Always a good day out though, but the show did seem to be fewer trade stalls this year.

daveb20/01/2018 17:14:57
631 forum posts
14 photos

Stueeee, there was a big queue inside but no one else in the entrance foyer where the searcher lurked, we had no idea what was going on. I would strongly resist any attempt to confiscate anything, AP and the exhibition organisers can run the exhibition any way they please but if there are to be intrusive entry restrictions administered by officious twits I want to know about them in advance. Not sure about the number of trade stands but they will probably have to give up if their potential customers are treated like this. Will we all be strip searched next year?

Daveb

Frances IoM20/01/2018 17:23:53
1395 forum posts
30 photos
on Fri morning there were long queues to buy tickets - more security guys marshalling the queue than actually selling tickets - had impression than there were fewer stands + trade stands - re possible beer confiscation I suspect key reason is licensing laws
Bazyle20/01/2018 17:31:27
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Got back an hour ago. First time we've not had a club stand there in nearly 30 years from the first time MEX was there so I have never been able to leave before the end. While it was nice to have the whole day to look round it did make me realise there wasn't as much there as the old days and I didn't even buy myself a late Christmas present.

Harlington got the club shield with a nice bridge display and 3 Pansys in different states of build, Chelmsford second this year breaking their run but displayed a 7 1/4 gauge crane lifting and lowering all day, with Moorhen model boat cub third.

Photos later.

Michael Topping20/01/2018 18:22:05
74 forum posts
5 photos

Had my pre booked ticket so no issues getting in yesterday morning, all bags were being searched which seems totally reasonable to me in this day and age.

The trade stands seemed to be about the same as other years and the club stands had some very interesting exhibits. Well worth the journey.

Matt C20/01/2018 19:24:05
28 forum posts
I went yesterday morning. Nobody gave my rucksack a second look.
The bag searches seemed to be reserved for the people attending the snooker competition in the hall next door to the exhibition.
Steve Pavey20/01/2018 20:10:35
369 forum posts
41 photos

I went today, first visit to many years. I would have thought that the venue organisers or the stallholders would have dreamt up a way of taking card payments - I think there were only about three of the larger traders that had card machines. I came away early, with my card intact and my shopping list unfulfilled. Sorry traders, but you missed out on my money because you couldn’t be bothered to sort yourselves out.

Edited By Steve Pavey on 20/01/2018 20:11:09

BC Prof20/01/2018 21:16:14
182 forum posts
1 photos

We went yesterday. No issues with the bag search. I for one would rather have a bag search rather than face the risk r The search took no longer than going into any other public gathering Purchasing tickets was no problem .All of the ticket sales windows were staffed and dealing with customers quickly.

The security staff simply asked us to move forward in the que to make more room

Speaking to the staff on the Warco stand I was told that they were having to use the old fashioned card processing machines with the paper slips because the signal inside the building was being corrupted .

We thought that the stands were more spread out with some being smaller than usual . Perhaps we are heading for a self fulfilling prophesy . We complain about the stands and choice so the attendance goes down, fewer traders think it worth while to attend so we complain ...

Brian

Sam Longley 120/01/2018 22:11:17
965 forum posts
34 photos

I got what i went for. Somehow managed to blow few hundred £'s without really trying so some stands should not complain.

The BMFA stand was a poor effort. If they were demonstrating some indoor flights one would think they would have a single trader there selling at least the models they were demonstrating. The simulator was a waste of time as the transmitters were not set up correctly so the planes would not fly as per the controls which would put off anyone wanting a go. I wanted to buy a chuck glider for my grandson but the interest in response to one of my queries was so off hand that i just walked away. If they act like that all the time it is no wonder they cannot get new modellers into the hobby.

The chaps on the Epping Horological Society, on the other hand, were a joy to talk to & so full of enthusiasm. Almost convinced me that i want to make a clock!!!!!-- but not quite !!!!!!!

Being one of those that used to go to Wembley Confrence Hall I really miss the "proper" model engineering exhibitions. I just hope that Doncaster & MEX has a few more models to look at.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 20/01/2018 22:12:12

Phil Francis 120/01/2018 22:39:27
27 forum posts
2 photos

Went yesterday, got rid of a few pounds. Thought there were less traders than last year. Confiscating beer is a licensing requirement on licensed premises.

Phil

Chris Trice20/01/2018 23:31:56
1376 forum posts
10 photos

I went today. It was a good show and met up with several friends I haven't seen for a while. I suspect the heightened security was because of the high profile nature of the venue and the Masters Snooker taking place in the adjoining hall which would certainly garner lots of publicity for any would be terrorist.

Nicholas Farr21/01/2018 08:50:55
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi, I went yesterday and had no problem having my camera bag inspected by a polite lady, she didn't touch it at all. Wonder how many people would moan if there was an incident with would be terrorists, and nothing was done to try and prevent them.

Among other things, I bought one of these after watching the guy demonstrating one, worth a punt for £20.00 for all three items.

img_20180120_194822 (1024x768).jpg

Regards Nick.

Ian S C21/01/2018 09:20:41
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Watched a bit on the exhibition on Aljazeera TV news, some interesting shots around the Hall, but rather negative dialogue, they need an optimistic type to be interviewed. At least someone is taking notice.

I suppose the BBC did something similar, but we don't get that on TV here now.

Ian S C

Emgee21/01/2018 09:27:22
2610 forum posts
312 photos
Posted by Ian S C on 21/01/2018 09:20:41:

I suppose the BBC did something similar, but we don't get that on TV here now.

Ian S C

Hi Ian, I don't remember ever seeing a report on BBC TV of the Model Engineer Exhibition, not an avid TV addict so may have missed it so stand to be corrected.

Emgee

Bazyle21/01/2018 10:17:54
6956 forum posts
229 photos

I did see a BBC camera man and reporter at one point filming the aircraft carrier. I might be in that shot. I also saw a load of photographers up on the organ balcony at one point.

The shammy leather demo seemed to attract a lot of attention, You go all the way to an exhibition full of wonderful models and spend time watching a guy you would ignore at a car boot sale?

Clive India21/01/2018 10:51:13
277 forum posts
Posted by Bazyle on 21/01/2018 10:17:54:

......The shammy leather demo seemed to attract a lot of attention, You go all the way to an exhibition full of wonderful models and spend time watching a guy you would ignore at a car boot sale?

Similarly with the bloke with the wall tile demo - I go to get away from that kind of stuff!

Driven there and back, interesting show, reasonable day out, food OK, what else could I wish for! Sorry, cannot join in with the traditional moaning.

Howard Lewis21/01/2018 15:41:25
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Security check at the door was fairly cursory; maybe they don't get many decrepit terrorists? Perhaps they were more enthusiastic after 10:00and the day wore on.

Two, more or less impulse buys, (as usual!) Costly, but both will prove to be useful in the future.

£10.35 for a parting tool tip, on the Greenwood stand seemed quite steep, despite being Sandvik!

Shall have to find a cheaper source.

The impression was that there were more boats on display than before.

It was pleasure to chat to the chap on the Epping Horological stand.

The front engine for the Big Boy was something to see, as were the wheels and patterns for them. The constructor was actually alongside me, and made light of his work. "Making the second engine was not difficult, just make two of everything" kind of attitude. Very modest.

Nice display of Southern Railway locos, in various scales on the Maidstone stand.

The Aircraft carrier was a superb, active model.

The Meccano stand was encouraging folk to operate the simple models.

The Eastleigh Young Engineers are doing a splendid job encouraging youngsters to solve problems, and to use their hands to make something. It was an impressive display of young teenager's work. There will be an invaluable bank of mental and physical skills that will enhance the participants way in the world. VERY interesting talking to the adults on the stand, to hear about their aspirations, and successes.

Axminxter and Chester stands looked to be smaller than usual, although Warco, RDG and Myford stands looked about the usual size.

The 8 in 1 tool salesman did not impress me with his patter, as we walked past.

Not a bad show, but less impressive than previously.

Now looking forward to Doncaster!

Howard

martin perman21/01/2018 17:33:45
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Gentlemen,

For years two friends and I visit the London Model Engineering Exhibition at Alexandra Palace and for the last few years I always head for the VMSC, Victoria Model Steamboat Club, stand because my Grandfather was a member and used to sail his steam powered boats on Victoria pond, London and there are always pictures and video shown and occasionally my Grandfather appears on them.
I've got to know the club secretary and he emails me the odd picture, a week ago I got an email asking if I was going to the exhibition as he had something for me, I replied yes and yesterday my friends and I caught a train to attend the show, when we arrived I went to the VMSC stand and met the secretary who after a chat handed me a muslin cloth bundle which I unwrapped to find what you see in the pictures, a compound forward and reverse steam powered engine that my Grandfather made for a friend of his many years ago.

One of the club members died recently and his wife found herself with his hobby, she sails her own boats but wanted to find homes for other items my Grandfathers engine being one of them, when the secretary said he knew of one of the Grandsons she said give it to him it can go back to the family.
Everything you can see was made by my Grandfather including all of the nuts and bolts on a Britannia Colchester Treadle Lathe including all of the milling work. My Brother now owns the lathe.

The pictures can be found in my picture file under Grandads Engine.

Martin P

ega21/01/2018 17:50:26
2805 forum posts
219 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 21/01/2018 15:41:25:

£10.35 for a parting tool tip, on the Greenwood stand seemed quite steep, despite being Sandvik!

Shall have to find a cheaper source.

Are you after the KIT-Q-CUT? I have two new and one part-worn plus insertion tool for disposal. PM me if interested

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate