By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Longley 1

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Longley 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Keyless car theft has never been so easy
31/05/2023 10:59:42
Posted by John Doe 2 on 29/05/2023 11:25:13:

Any who are worried about thieves using transponders to unlock and start their cars just need to put their electronic key in the microwave oven and close the door. Microwave ovens are electrically screened to prevent radio frequency leakage - well, at least at 2.400GHz.

Of course if thieves actually break into your house, that will be the first place they will look to steal your car keys.......I always take mine with me.

Edited By John Doe 2 on 29/05/2023 11:27:14

Bit of a pain walking about with a microwave under your arm thoughwink

Thread: Torque wrench
01/02/2023 19:56:50

Thanks everybody for taking the time to post. I have learned something today.

Obviously things like this need practice & I only have one gearbox to assemble. However, I will have a starting point to work from.

Thread: Squeezing copper tube?
01/02/2023 12:22:43

Turn it off. Let it go cold. Buy a freeze pack, or hire one. Freeze the pipe . Cut it & insert a ball valve. You can then play with the amount of restriction as much as you like.

Copper would come as table X Y Z the thickest being for underground use. The thinnest- thinwall-, could not be bent in plumbers bending machine. If your house does not have loads of bent sections of copper, but bends made with fittings, then it is more likely, thinwall & you will crack it for sure.

Thread: Torque wrench
01/02/2023 12:03:25

I know that this is a very basic question to some. But not to a spanner monkey

I have to connect the saildrive gearbox of my boat to the engine. There are about 8 No M8 or 10 bolts (no nut) to go around the perimeter. It is in a very confined space.

I am aware that this should be done in a diagonal sequence. I will be borrowing a torque wrench ( click type not flexible rod to a dial) of the range to suit the bolts. I currently do not know the correct torque, but will look that up from the manual.

Can someone please describe the correct proceedure for using the wrench.

I am told that if a bolt is set, then trying to torque it again, gets an incorrect reading. If that is so then how does one tighten the bolts evenly around the perimeter of the gearbox.

I just wonder how an engineer does it properly- Assuming that there is a "proper" way

Thread: Heavy lifting [of people!] equipment
15/12/2022 15:18:01

Thinking differently would not a demountable frame 2.2 M tall a bit like a child's swing with a small electric hoist work?

4 stainless steel 25mm diam legs & a short cross bar with 4 sockets. Just put it together over them & the hoist could be on 1 leg with a dynema cord going up over a light pulley clipped to the top

If they fall over a lot, have one permanently welded up with 4 small castors & just move it over them.

Lift the casualty with a webbing strop under the arms.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 15/12/2022 15:21:29

15/12/2022 11:19:08

Has the OP considered exactly how he would get the bag under the casualty? Is the intention just to raise their upper body into a sitting position untill help comes, or raise the entire frame. How does the bag help get the person on to their feet without them rolling off & sustaining further injury. Or just as bad - creating undue stress during the process.

Is the intention to make a comfortable bed?- In which case a decent lilo would be just as good. Placed correctly & then inflated might ease the pressure points for a while.

Ambulances can take a long time to arrive.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 15/12/2022 11:22:27

15/12/2022 09:28:53
Posted by Mike Poole on 15/12/2022 09:17:09:

Scroll down to the videos on Bills link and the application of the device and what is required becomes clear.

Mike

Apologies. I thought that he had the cushions but could not pump them up. Careless of me

This forum no longer allows me to edit my post which is a little iritating. Otherwise I would remove it.

But if it is air bags that are wanted, then go & see a bouncy castle firm & get some glued up. Then use the pumps that I suggested. They could probably make the bag seat shaped as well, thus putting the patient into a sitting position

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 15/12/2022 09:43:25

15/12/2022 08:17:33

I hope that I have understood what you are after correctly

You only need about 3 PSI in these bags & I inflate airbags ( size 2.4 * 1.5 diam) for laying moorings weighing up to 2.5 tonnes with a simple high volume, low pressure pump costing £18-00. iin under 15 minutes. But mine is 240 V & you want 12 V

May I suggest 2 options first is an inflatable dinghy pump as sold by marinescene & other yacht chandlers- There are many- Marine scene

Or you could just use a simple hand pump as I use for my Avon dinghy. Stirrup pump they do foot operated ones. It is not rocket science to make the adaptors fit You would inflate your bags in a 30 strokes of the pump & for the cost it is worth experimenting. You will not have battery issues to worry about.

For batteries one could just get small ones & keep them charged such as a scooter battery. Or go into an RC model shop & buy a couple of LIPO batteries & a charger & get them to explain how to charge & store them. They may even solder the correct connections on for you if you ask.

Thread: Cad software for dummies.
14/12/2022 10:20:39
Posted by Journeyman on 14/12/2022 09:55:50:

Alibre Atom might be worth a go. It is paid for software but you can get a free trial it is a full CAD package not just drawing. There are tutorials on the forum and quite a few threads here about it. Try this thread to start with.

John

Edited By Journeyman on 14/12/2022 09:57:48

Trouble with Alibre Atom is that the free trial is only for 30 days. So if one gives it some intense effort one still would not get overly profficient in that time. I must admit that having looked at the tutorials I did think of giving it a go. But when I emailed the UK distributor & was quoted £269 + VAT I decided that it was just a silly price to pay for the amount I would use it. I have been told by others that this includes £70 + VAT support but that does not sweeten the pill much. So it was not even worth playing with the free trial.

25 years ago I was lightening fast with Auto sketch, but that skill has long since gone & I am not sure if it will run on my current platform. But if it is obtainable it is good if one can use it enough to get used to using the key presses to speed up the operations.I expect it has been superceded by much better programmes . Trouble is they often get harder to learn..

I am currently trying Freecad. I am having difficulty getting started. But at 75 years of age that is hardly surprising. I expect that I will crack it over the winter though, as there is little else to do. It is a case of finding the right set of You Tube tutorials. I did try one & it was not so good. I am on another & find it much better.

So I think that one has to decide how far one wants to go & how much effort one wants to put into it. If the answer is not a lot, then one has to go for a simple sketching one & be aware that it will not do much more than pencil & paper & not much quicker. But it will rub out & alter things easier.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 14/12/2022 10:25:17

Thread: Applying torque
26/11/2022 15:41:38
Posted by Howard Lewis on 25/11/2022 21:00:23:

Until yield tightening was implemented, the W range 9/16 bolts were tightened to about 120 lb ft, but did not produce a reliably consistent clamp load. hence th change to yield tightening, and the end of our troubles.

Howard

I have been reading this thread with interested- seeing as I was the one that started it.

A couple of things have confused me & I may have missed them in the text.

I can grasp the point about striction when applying torque. I can understand the principle of rotating a bar a certain number of degrees rotation to acheive a certain torque- although the starting point may be a bit variable surely?

But I do not understand stretch- well I understand that a stud or bolt will extend in length as torque is applied. But how on earth can one measure that when it is buried in the clamped work piece?

The next point, & once again I apologise if I have missed it - What is yield tightening? I know that mild steel reinforcing rod can be placed under tension. It will give then stop giving, then actually become "stronger". That is part of the process of making high tensile reinforcing rod.

But how is this applied to a bolt or stud? Or is yield tightening something else?

Apologies for the ignorance but I am genuinely interested. I will ask about wheel nuts later.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 26/11/2022 15:43:31

24/11/2022 09:37:41
Posted by old mart on 23/11/2022 20:31:02:

. One thing that must me adhered to is that the fastener must be torqued up the final 20% in one movement. If you stop even slightly short, possibly due to difficulties with swinging the torque wrench, the torque will not be correct. As soom as the tightening is interrupted, the subsequent torque needed to start things moving again will be much higher, this is called stiction. Backing off and re applying the torque without a pause right up to the full torque is the answer.

Had not occurred to me. Thanksfrown

23/11/2022 07:35:22

When tightening a nut or bolt to a specific torque, should the thread be lubricated?

If so should one use grease or oil?

If it makes a difference from a dry situation, what sort of difference one should expect?

What sort of accuracy should one expect from the typical torque wrench purchased over the counter? (yes I know, how long is a piece of string? But I expect that you get the idea)

I ask because it has been suggested to me that lubrication causes up to 40% error & a typical wrench 15- 20% inaccuracy. The 2 combined could make a mockery of torque figures if they were meant to be dry fastened.

But if so how would one control friction in the thread?

Thread: Good tweezers?
20/11/2022 10:03:01
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 19/11/2022 11:20:43:

I made my tweezers from a hacksaw blade with a nut and bolt through the holes and a nut as a spacer. This was to remove a splinter from my finger. 40 years on they are still the best I have.

Any chance of a picture please?

Thread: Small internal threading tool
25/09/2022 13:27:26

I might be right off track here BUT:_

Do they not make sets of a certain type of tap that work by increasing the size of tap? So the first one might be less than 10mm The next a bit nearer & the third one might be the recognised size.

If you want to have a tight fit you would only use the first couple of taps & omit the final one

Does that make sense?

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 25/09/2022 13:28:14

Thread: Vita brevis
15/09/2022 15:30:28

When I had my second or third colonoscopy, It was decided to put me fully under, rather than partially, as before. This was because previously the surgeon had removed a piece "the size of a golf ball" & caused me considerable pain. My heart had also stopped. Well it would wouldn't itsad

Whilst waiting for the anasthetic to work the surgeon instructed his 2 rather pretty young nurses to assemble the camera & probe & monitor. He had his back to us. As I was on my side I was looking straight at the screen & as they focused it in, the nurse with the probe stuck it up the skirt of the other nurse. A real case of successful " Upskirting" in my view. As I went under I had this monitor view of - Well you can imagine- & I heard the surgeon saying " Oiy! stop that now. If I ever catch you doing that again, you will both be out of here for good"-- Spoil sport.

If my heart had gone for good this time, I later reflected that, in some ways, it would have been a nice memory to take with me.

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
12/09/2022 08:01:00
Posted by Bazyle on 12/09/2022 00:47:31:

The toggle is at the top. It could come loose if one is used at the bottom as it is not always under tension in the wind.

The normal 'everyday' flag is indeed the cross of St George (whom we all know wasn't even English) but at times of national significance is replaced by the Union Flag or a special one. So since the Jubilee we have flown the jubilee modified version but replaced it with the normal Union Flag (at half mast) after receiving the news of the Queen's death. Raised it to full mast for the proclamation of the new king for 24 hours then halfway down again but will revert to the cross at 8am on the day after the funeral. The Union Flag will be up again for the coronation. Eco considerations now preclude all night illumination and HSE factors (and age of churchwardens) save us from running it up and down too often.
It gets complicated as the CofE can make recommendations but the PCC is actually in charge locally and vicars are only in control of the religious side of things.

But did you do it correctly? I always understood that it should be "1/3 way down". Even though described as "half mast" Not that I intend to google it.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 12/09/2022 08:02:53

Thread: Fire hydrant sign
12/09/2022 07:55:08
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 11/09/2022 20:05:06:

Hi, much information about them Fire Hydrant Sign (google) I've seen that report about people who didn't know what they were for. They have been around ever since I can remember when I were a kid, but they used to be on a white background back then and I have seen them just attached to a brick wall.

Regards Nick.

But, if you did not know that it was a fire hydrant sign how would you know to google such? The Op seems amazed that the Northern post printed the feature. Your comment is correct. Just because he knew about them, does not mean that my 13 year old grandson & a good many others, would have a clue.They might find such an article of some interest.

Edited By Sam Longley 1 on 12/09/2022 07:55:55

Thread: What would you ban and why? (Definitely tearoom!)
23/07/2022 12:49:37

I would like lorries & the local school bus to keep to their side of the road when there is ample room to do so. I would like the porche driver who smashed my wing mirror the other day when I had slowed to <10mph in a 30 zone whilst he careered down the middle at over 40MPH to burn in hell. I would like to ban the oversized camper vans that drive on the wrong side of the white line at every corner & even on straight roads as if they are entitled to extra room. Same goes for the oversized farm tractors & trailers that can easily keep to their side when passing their mates going the other way but seem to ignore every other road user.

In fact I think white lines should be reconstructed with great spikes to puncture any tyres of those who cross them.

Thread: Buying from the EU
21/07/2022 13:07:49
Posted by jann west on 21/07/2022 09:58:08:

If you knew someone in the Netherlands they might be kind enough to take delivery, place the charts in a document envelope, and post (or courier) them to you as documents. No Vat, no admin, quite quick.

I live in Amsterdam - you can msg me if you want.

Also, not sure where you are going, but you can download openCPN and cmaps (via bittorrent) for a worldwide mapping solution on your laptop - got me from the French Mediterranean to Amsterdam via the UK. Even works with an AIS receiver if you have one.

Thanks for the offer. I am considering having them posted to the royal north sea yacht club in Ostend. I get on well with the harbour master.

As for digital versions. We all have digital mapping. But like any responsible mariners we all want charts as backups. They are far easier for passage planning as well. We are doing the standing mast route to Dordrecht from Flushing. A trip I have done a number of time. We may carry on to Amsterdam if time permits.

21/07/2022 12:59:40
Posted by A Smith on 21/07/2022 12:11:40:

I recently bought a tool from LouisMoto in Hamburg. I paid the price on the website + the shipping cost. It arrived a week later with no extra costs incurred.

I have bought from them because the said free delivery for goods over £100 but I am not sure that included DHL's charge.

their Emails suggest that it did not

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate