Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

How much ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eric Cox04/04/2015 10:12:46
557 forum posts
38 photos

I had to smile when I read the editorial comment concerning picture frame thin glass, Smoke Rings ME 4505. "Call in at your local pound shop, they cast pennies to buy", No, they cost a pound.

Edited By Eric Cox on 04/04/2015 10:13:17

JasonB04/04/2015 12:58:55
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Di probably goes to a 99p shop where they cost 99 Pennieswink

Edited By JasonB on 04/04/2015 12:59:18

Gordon W04/04/2015 15:11:20
2011 forum posts

I don't think casting pennies would be profitable.

Neil Wyatt04/04/2015 16:47:35
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

If you want a gold medal, use this stuff...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-NEW-GEPE-6901-40-x-40-GLASS-SUPER-SLIDE-MOUNTS-20pcs-/261815426942

Neil

merlin04/04/2015 17:41:51
141 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks, Gordon W., for mentioning the casting of pennies.

I am going to stick my neck a very long way out and probably call down all sorts of abuse, but can I appeal to fellow posters (is that the right word?) to check their postings before sending.

I get tired of having to re-read and re-re-read posts and then interpret what people mean. This is particularly irritating if people are asking for free advice but can't be bothered to check spelling and grammar before sending. Of course, I do not include foreigners or people with known difficulties and I realise that we all make mistakes occasionally.

I will admit that as a now non-subscriber to any mod eng magazine I have no right to be here anyway, so perhaps I won't come again. My loss more than yours, probably.

Rik Shaw04/04/2015 18:26:13
1494 forum posts
403 photos

Wizard post Merlin. Spelling obviously comes naturally to you but us mortals, tri as we mite , forl short of yor eyedeals.

Wrick smile ouch!

Bazyle04/04/2015 18:28:36
6956 forum posts
229 photos

Seems a bit extreme. American forums are far worse with their use of 'color', 'bring' instead of 'take' (also frequently appearing in films) and everything is 'for cheap'.

Not so sure about things in a 99p show costing 99 pennies. Don't they cost 240 pennies with 1p back. Can't be bothered to calculate how many actual pennies that is.

merlin04/04/2015 18:38:25
141 forum posts
1 photos

But it dunt cum natural 2 me, wee just av to buy a dick dik dicshunary at a car boot sale and mak an effot to make it easier for our friends to understand wot the ell we are torrking about.

If we have a difficult question and want a free answer then we should make it as easy as possible for the kind b..... who takes the trouble to reply.

It is only good manners, innit?

Oompa Lumpa04/04/2015 19:06:41
888 forum posts
36 photos

The only one consistent spelling mistake which I really find irritating and it really only appears on American forums is "brought" instead of bought. But life is too short.

Late last year here we had the 'Pound Shop Wars' where we woke up one day to find we had 75p stores then within a week we had the 50p store and allegedly the pound shop owner at the top of the street who had stuck at 99p sent his friends and family to buy up the stock from the 50p store.
potty, a race to the bottom.

graham.

V8Eng04/04/2015 19:08:12
1826 forum posts
1 photos

We also need to keep a close watch on what the auto spell check is doing!

Edited By V8Eng on 04/04/2015 19:09:11

martin perman04/04/2015 19:08:19
2095 forum posts
75 photos

Merlin,

I've had this arguement on another Forum I visit, it makes this Forum seem seriously educatedsmiley, a lot of the people, mostly I assume youngsters, seem to write in text speak which for the intelligent is intelligible, they get the hump if nobody answers, mainly I assume because we cant be bothered to decipher.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 04/04/2015 19:29:39

Neil Wyatt04/04/2015 19:10:55
19226 forum posts
749 photos
86 articles

I know for sure that if posters feel that every post they make is being watched by the grammar police, then we will lose an awful lot of valuable contributions.

If people are upset by the presentation of someone's post, then the best thing that they can do is ignore it, not criticise it. It takes only one thoughtless comment to put a new poster off. I know this is true because more than one such upset person has emailed me with a message to that effect, rather than post again and risk further humiliation.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 04/04/2015 19:11:16

mechman4804/04/2015 19:23:47
2947 forum posts
468 photos

'Decifer'.. wot the eck dus that meen ? jus cos sum people dus not have the proper edicashun and wusnt brort up proper like wat I was dusnt mean they cant get ther kwestiun and meening acros... dont know wink face 22

I jest folks.... devil

George

Steamer191504/04/2015 19:42:22
171 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 04/04/2015 18:28:

Not so sure about things in a 99p show costing 99 pennies. Don't they cost 240 pennies with 1p back. Can't be bothered to calculate how many actual pennies that is.

Really Bazyle,

This is absolutely intolerable. wink

Steve.

Bazyle04/04/2015 20:33:22
6956 forum posts
229 photos

<<blush>> sitting in naughty corner with dunces cap on.

"Bill Hancox"04/04/2015 20:40:36
257 forum posts
77 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/04/2015 19:10:55:

I know for sure that if posters feel that every post they make is being watched by the grammar police, then we will lose an awful lot of valuable contributions.

If people are upset by the presentation of someone's post, then the best thing that they can do is ignore it, not criticise it. It takes only one thoughtless comment to put a new poster off. I know this is true because more than one such upset person has emailed me with a message to that effect, rather than post again and risk further humiliation.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 04/04/2015 19:11:16

Valid points. I am certainly not one to judge a member's knowledge and ability by their posting. Perhaps the language professors would be happier in a literary forum. I must admit that I do bypass posts that have obviously been thumbed out on a hand held communicator. I find them a bit of a nuisance to read but that is only my personal opinion and is not intended to sway the masses. At the same time I also bypass postings on issues that do not interest me such as electronics and CNC. Most members do their best with colloquialisms, spelling etc as a courtesy to all readers. Some butcher their words and sentences in jest. In the end, most all postings are personal questions, thoughts and opinions presented in a thoughtful and courteous manner to the best of the member's ability.

Bill

Sam Stones04/04/2015 23:55:10
922 forum posts
332 photos

An wot abaht tuch screens?

Will tuch tie pin disappear alt’gether?

Danny M2Z05/04/2015 05:07:53
963 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Gordon W on 04/04/2015 15:11:20:

I don't think casting pennies would be profitable.

Machining the guts out of one and precisely fitting an insert to give two heads or two tails is a very naughty old trick (one can get $50 a pop for them).

ANZAC day is almost here, and the ancient game of 'Two-Up' is a great Aussie tradition.

Probably the only day of the year when the 'authorities' turn a blind eye to a bit of gambling. (If you get caught with a double-headed penny though, you'd better know a good doctor).

As an ex-digger, I can confirm that it is true that my mates would bet on two flies walking up a wall!

In FNQ we once ran a book on cane toad races during one particularly boring field deployment.

As for spelling, one of the most unfriendly 'innovations' must surely be the 'Predictive Text' mobile phone.

Second to that would be this forum's software that puts cheesy little smiley faces into one's messages when all a bloke is trying to do is add a bit of punctuation!

Have a great Easter.

* Danny M *

Hopper05/04/2015 05:45:14
7881 forum posts
397 photos
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 04/04/2015 19:06:41:

The only one consistent spelling mistake which I really find irritating and it really only appears on American forums is "brought" instead of bought. But life is too short.

graham.

Glad you brung that to our attention.

Jesse Hancock 105/04/2015 07:13:50
314 forum posts

Most pound shops charge more or less the same prices as anyone else from what I see. In any case if ASDA charges 60 pence for an item are you really going to pay £1.00 for the same in a pound shop?

I confess I honestly believe I am mildly dyslexic. I also think we may see a down turn in spelling skills since the introduction of please yourself schooling. Every once in a while in junior school in Oz we had to march along and see the head mistress (her name was Mrs Ashton and oddly her husband was the head Mmmm). She was between 65 and 650yrs old if I remember right. The reason was to see how many words you knew and then they were able to put you in the correct pen, sorry class. A,B,C,D. A=adult? B=brat? C= cute? D=dunce. The thing was Mrs Ashton may have been a sadist as she had a stick in her hand which she used to point to each word and if you got it wrong she would slab the back of your legs with the stick. Nothing like stinging calf muscles to sharpen the mind aye?

I remember ANZAC day mate. Those long speeches followed by two minutes stood to attention head bowed in silence watching kids faint in the boiling heat.

What was the topic here?

Edited By Jesse Hancock 1 on 05/04/2015 07:15:23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate