By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sam Stones

Here is a list of all the postings Sam Stones has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which thread is recommended, please?
30/09/2023 19:57:40

Hi Mark,

Will you be aiming for authenticity or convenience?

Will you be screw-cutting in the lathe or using standard dies?

Designed prior to 1972, John Stevens' skeleton clock uses BA.

There are other members far better qualified who may come along shortly.

Good luck,

Sam smile d

Thread: Chipmaster
27/09/2023 22:26:46

Just a courtesy rotation, Steve.

928194 - chipmaster.jpg

At first, and with no connecting text, I thought it was an upside-down picture of part of a milling machine. cheeky

Cheers,

Sam smile d

Thread: myford super 7
27/09/2023 00:38:04

Stephen,

I should have said ...

"Disengage (the lever) BEFORE engaging the back gear."

Cheers,

Samcrying

26/09/2023 21:57:57

Stephen,

As I recall from my time on a Super 7 in the late 50's, it disengages the spindle lock before engaging the back gear.

No doubt you'll get an update shortly. cheeky

Enjoy your Myford. I only wish I was younger and had access to one.

Cheers,

Sam smile d

Thread: Trying to identify a bird-feeder thread.
22/09/2023 02:35:49

Mr Lickfold, Neil, how dare you mention shrinkage? devil

Actually, I found it a breath of fresh air when you touched on (mould) shrinkage, with its many ramifications.

Upon reflection, it feels as if I spent a large chunk of my working life dealing with the subject, often against the flow of a few controversial 'recommendations'.

As for potting (either in plaster or epoxy), I ran a bit roughshod over Raphael Golez’ Macro-photography thread with this interjection …

**LINK**

Particularly potting in epoxy resin.to determine how two (M&F) threads aligned.

screw-cap-on-bottle---merge.jpg

I could prattle on but won't.

Cheers! (Loud ones)

Sam smile d

20/09/2023 22:09:45

I need to eat humble pie for making a momentous mistake.

The green component in these two photographs had, to me at least, every appearance of being a polypropylene injection moulding. As Ed has indicated, it’s actually a metal die-casting.

928057 - eds bird feeder.jpg

928059 - eds bird feeder.jpg

I stand corrected.

Neil, your tongue-in-cheek humour didn’t go unnoticed, especially when you included pea netting mesh. Clearly, your humour does draw attention to the vast array of non-standard threads.

There’s many a true word spoken in jest.

For those still not bored with my interjections, here’s ‘Your starter of ten’...

img20230920120214.jpg

"Specify this thread!"

It's fitted to the end of a domestic broom/brush handle.

Cheers,

Sam

19/09/2023 01:48:13

Clearly, Ed’s intention is to erect his bird feeder on a pole.

The need to measure and therefore determine whether thread pitch, profile, and diameters, conform with a particular (engineering) standard is understandable. It offers a simple solution to the perceived home workshop limitations and available tools. Howard’s point too is also valid as far as ‘design economy’ is concerned.

This however, is where things come unstuck and why I couldn’t resist a bit of superficial nit-picking. After all it’s ‘only’ plastic not an exotic material, so who cares?

Well, after years in TS often analysing a plethora of design-related product failures, I do for one!

Fully respecting Ed’s plastic ‘bird-feeder-on-a-pole’ issue, my comments are more a message for readers led into the impression that engineering standards are equally applicable to plastics. That is not necessarily true!

Choosing an off-the-shelf mechanical engineering standard can invite failure. Thus we see yet another product assigned into the bl***y plastic category.

While looking up suitable thread standards for plastics materials, and especially responding to Neil’s suggestion, take a squiz at this one.

DIN 6063-1 - Threads, mainly for plastic containers - Part 1: Buttress threads, dimensions.

**LINK**

At least that’ll be a start.

Good luck to all who sail in her.

Sam smile d

19/09/2023 01:20:00

Considering the many possibilities Neil, it would be some pull-out.

There was a booklet available years ago that provided 108 (one hundred and eight) thread-profile variations for glass bottle-thread finishes.

I can't recall the title, and my copy probably went out in one of my rare 'tidying up' exercises.

Cheers,

Sam smile d

17/09/2023 21:11:36

Hi Ed,

Good look with finding a solution. I couldn't resist commenting as follows...

The notion that the thread of your bird-feeder moulding conforms to a standard, I’d suggest the odds are in favour of the thread having little to no relationship with any standard.

Unless I've missed something, there would be no particular reason to conform.

Ask me why.

Cheers,

Sam smile d

Thread: JoNo's Pendulum
29/08/2023 20:40:24

Thanks Jo.

This was the original single frame (best of the bunch snapshot). Hence the loss of definition.

img_0185---dragonfly.jpg

And the branch was swaying in the breeze.

Good luck with the pendulum.

Sam

29/08/2023 01:43:26

Reference the above whale flipper link Jo, I couldn’t resist chipping in with this…

img_0188 - scalloping.jpg

…the leading edge of a dragonfly wing.

Apparently, for whales, the tubercles provide swifter manoeuvrability. That would be handy for a dragonfly too.

And how about the leading and trailing edges of a pendulum rod with a suitably shaped (elliptical) cross section?

By the way, that’s brilliant work you are doing Jo!

Sam smile d

Thread: I need custard.
14/08/2023 04:58:54

Kitchen science can be rather intriguing.

I found mixing Bird's Custard powder fell into that category.

At a specific moment when there was just enough added liquid (milk), the mix would resist stirring as it became a dilatant non-Newtonian fluid. Yet the same fluid would trickle off the spoon, albeit appearing to be (but not quite) lumpy. Is it something to do with corn starch?

So where, in the kitchen, could you easily demonstrate Bernoulli?

Sam smile d

Chilling out in Melbourne

Thread: Looking for a beginners project
12/08/2023 23:05:52

You are most welcome Jim. Thanks for your response too.

As a one clock 'expert', I can see from your profile and albums that making and building a clock is well within your capability. Perhaps I should drop you a separate line?

Cheers,

Sam

11/08/2023 21:23:29

You may already have reached this point Paul (& Jim). However, my search took me first to John Carruthers …

**LINK**

Then a reference to Model Engineer !!! c.2016

**LINK**

This led me to John’s thread for the Dark Lady …

**LINK**

Beware - there are nine (9) pages of posts from 1st May 2026 until 12th May 2017. I haven’t been through them.

Continuing on there was this …

**LINK**

with a nice picture of the clock

A quick video of the build. [1:38] can be found here …

**LINK**

Good luck,

Sam smile d

Not so sunny Melbourne

Edited By Sam Stones on 11/08/2023 21:26:39

09/08/2023 22:10:18

Here’s a challenging, perhaps not new idea put to me years ago. Understandably, it may also attract protests from certain members, but that’s the fun that often transpires in this forum.

The idea is to rummage around for an old, relatively simple (spring-driven?) clock (or just the mechanism), that is essentially complete. If repairs are needed this might be a bonus.

Strip the mechanism having first noted (photographed) essential details such as the order of the wheels and pinions. Leave aside the plates, these will provide a guiding template for the pivot centres. Keep any other items such as pillars etc. that might still have a use.

In their correct order, rearrange the wheel/pinion train in a vertical stack. Taking advantage of transparency, I’d suggest using thin clear acrylic as temporary plates.

This is where the real challenge begins. Drawing the scrolling along the lines of something like this ...

Clock Frames

Plates from John Stevens Skeleton Clock design. 

I can see this becoming quite a fascinating and lengthy project, with lots to learn and ample opportunity for ‘sculpting’ the front and back plates.

As a footnote, I did take steps towards making a miniature ‘replica’ of my version of John Stevens skeleton clock. Without an in-depth investigation, I simply bought an old alarm clock from the local op-shop. When I opened it, I discovered that the main spring was not captive.

Would I do it to this Wehlen mechanism?

crw_7413---wehlen---movement---top-view.jpg

crw_7410---wehlen---movement---right-side.jpg

Never! That would be vandalism. embarrassed

Good luck Paul

Sam smile d

Edited By Sam Stones on 09/08/2023 22:17:12

Thread: Gluten Intolerance
05/08/2023 20:38:17

Martin D 2 - re ... National Service in the 1950s. I've sent you message.

Cheers,

Sam

Thread: One stroke or two?
11/07/2023 04:08:46

Q. Is Spain Living in 2050?

I pass this on for pure interest especially for model engineers.

And, since I am excessively long-in-the-tooth, I respectfully advise that I do not intend to engage in discussion.

**LINK**

I did at one time however, consider that a one-stroke engine would simply go bang, then you’d build another. cheeky

Cheers,

Sam smile d

Thread: Macro-photography
23/05/2023 22:31:01

The detail is brilliant, Michael.

It’s been almost six months since Peter Greene’s post so thanks for the link.

Earlier this week and somewhat coincidental, I was tempted to open Raphael’s thread by posting a link to an atypical NASA - Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive.

This is their website …

**LINK**

On 21st May ’23, they showed a picture called – ‘Tardigrade in Moss’. Seen here …

**LINK**

The mouthparts captured my attention, especially the ten-toothed ‘gear wheel’. It looks very mechanical.

Machined on a nano-mill perhaps?

Cheers,

Sam

Thread: Our world in IR (infrared)
13/03/2023 19:39:19

The following may prove useful...

On 3 Mar 2023, during one of his many videos, Big Clive described

Fixing a faulty tachometer

**LINK**

At 2:30 into the video, he begins to use a thermal camera module. He says in his notes…

This is the first task for my new Infiray thermal camera module. It performed flawlessly. By request, here's a link to the AliExpress listing I bought the thermal imaging camera from. The price should be around £200, so shop about if they increase the price too much. **LINK**

Hope that helps.

Sam smile d

Edited By Sam Stones on 13/03/2023 19:39:47

Thread: Model Engineer Magazine
12/03/2023 19:23:02

A generous gift Dave, especially for anyone interested in modelling steam engines.

Irrespective, they'll make good reading for those planning to venture into this wonderful hobby.

Good luck,

Sam smile d

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate