By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

What is the finest model engineering you've seen?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Howard Lewis19/08/2022 19:02:37
7227 forum posts
21 photos

The many examples quoted just go to show the immense range and magnitude of the skills within the Model Engineering environment.

Howard

Nigel Graham 219/08/2022 22:20:18
3293 forum posts
112 photos

Dave (SOD) -

Tank you for reminding me. I should have highlighted the same fact of detailed research into unfamiliar machines, by Ron Jarvis. In their attention to fidelity to rare or long-extinct prototype, detail and exquisite skill he and Cherry Hill were equals. I believe they did know each other, through the major exhibitions.

Howard -

I could not agree more! As well as the various types of engines in those examples, we could add clock-making and ornamental-turning, which even if not strictly "model"-making are certainly brother hobbies using much the same principles.

Ornamental turning has had Royal approval too: it was a hobby of King George III.

While admiring the creme-de-la-Brasso at the shows may inspire we lesser mortals, as others have said the real satisfaction is completing successfully one's own handiwork, however sophisticated or modest.

There is a rumour I may finish my own project one day / year.... It will never win awards, it's not much less rough in quality than the original full-size ones appeared to have been (from old photos), but it is almost unique in miniature and the only 12-inch-scale existing is a modern replica.... but it will still be all my own efforts, save for the 'Western Steam' boiler and some other bought-in parts. (Oh, all right, and the ex-BMC Austin differential I modified for the traction-engine pattern live axle.)

Morty19/08/2022 23:53:08
94 forum posts
101 photos

https://www.warbirdsinmyworkshop.net

Static Warbird modelling with some great engineering by David Glen.

Cheers, Pete

Sam Stones20/08/2022 03:03:44
922 forum posts
332 photos

There are far too many, and how unfair of me to mention Miniatur Wunderland having only seen it on video …..

However, two models that impressed me the most and remain in my memory were very different from each other. Regrettably, as far as I'm aware, there are no photographs of either.

The first was a railway, modelled on an actual village in Scotland.

It was different to a typical railway model in several ways. The majority of the layout was just the coastline of the village with a single track following the contours and gradient. For portability, the two chaps who built the model had managed to fit all the sections into three banjo cases.

The rolling stock was tiny. With room to spare, an engine would easily fit into a matchbox. The gauge was perhaps even smaller and almost certainly predated N scale. They had to wind their own electric motors too, since nothing that small was available.

Holding an engine in the palm of his hand and peering closely at the detail, my toolmaker friend and mentor Bill asked them, “How did you make the spokes of the driving wheels?”

“Oh! We just made a tool and bashed them out.” came the reply.

The other very different model was of a weaving machine. Built by a dentist to a scale of about 1:6, it measured roughly 12" (30cm) wide, and looked as complex as an old Remington typewriter.

The unique feature was that it actually worked producing a strip of woven cloth some 6" (15cm) wide.

So, what else was unique?

It was c1950 and my first ever visit to a Model Engineer’s exhibition. On that occasion, it was in the Corn Exchange, Manchester.

Edited By Sam Stones on 20/08/2022 03:06:07

vic francis20/08/2022 06:32:58
125 forum posts
21 photos
Posted by oilcan on 19/08/2022 14:36:21:

One deserving of a mention is the 1/30 scale horizontal Corliss engine of Jerry Kieffer of the US. Deceptively simple looking, until you realise that everything is scale, including the 1/4 diameter bolts on the original. How you go about making taps and dies to produce a 0.009" diameter functional bolt I have no idea!

Clem Tomlinson's Deltic Engine deserves a mention. i would love to see it close up.

Plus one for the engines of Commander Barker. I always made a point of visiting the Merseyside Maritime Museum to view them, but I believe they are no longer on display. Even more impressive when you realise they were made with treadle operated machinery.

Quite right Oilcan! oh and Jerry Kieffer’s workshop has no cnc machines, but have nc readout, I think he also was not Engineered trained... and a lovely guy. I have one of his tiny nut and bolts in a small case.He has made many remarkable models, I often wonder how!

David Senior20/08/2022 13:48:23
30 forum posts
8 photos

Mike Sayers' Bentley engine and chassis is right up there in my view

Dave

roy entwistle20/08/2022 16:20:19
1716 forum posts

Does anyone remember the chap who used to make working models of machine tools ie. lathes, millers, shapers and drills etc ?

Edited By roy entwistle on 20/08/2022 16:23:25

Jon Lawes21/08/2022 15:54:13
1078 forum posts

I'm mainly filled with jealousy that I've only seen a few of the models mentioned myself.

john fletcher 121/08/2022 16:38:07
893 forum posts

I'll second Dave's comment on Mike's engine, not only does it look good it sound like the real thing when it's running. John

Gordon Bullard21/08/2022 19:15:58
7 forum posts

The Duke of Edinburgh competition highlights model engineering perfection

All winners deserve their awards but in my opinion the two winners made by Peter Dupen are just superb and demonstrate engineering at its best. The models were of a Midland 999 locomotive and a GER Y 14 locomotive

Buffer22/08/2022 13:33:54
430 forum posts
171 photos

For me it has to be the late Gerald Wingrove. I can't imagine how it is possible to get any better at all round model making. He had such a range of different skills and was a real master craftsman.

take 10 minutes and see what i mean.

ron vale 101/10/2022 13:59:43
50 forum posts
5 photos

I Order of seeing

Como ( several times and still find something new)

Fred Beards Lord of the Isles Dean Single

Back in 74/5 spent many hours in his workshop just watching and chatting, new to the hobby so getting all the advice i could. This loco had 2 articles in EIM The wheels were cut form solid, the crankshaft with its iirc elliptical webs also turned forn solid As Fred put it he started out with an 10lb billet and ended up up to me knees in swarf ( although he didn't use 'knees' and ended up with a pound and a crank that wont be seen!!

The only thing he didn't make was the GWR badge, but the small animals? each side he did do. Ran it one only on air.

the third and fourth are still under construction Greenglades Gresley A1 and Rogers 1500x

I have seen Peters in the flsh and it will be a winner, no doubt.

Rogers also i just hope they dont compete in the same year!!

Both have wll detailed build logs on the Model Eng forum. Rogers menthods have left me speechlees with some of the manching he does

Both well worth a few evenings reading

Ches Green UK01/10/2022 14:30:24
181 forum posts
7 photos

Not a model from the past but one from a possible future where a company is trying to model a human ...

'Tesla AI Day 2022' (3 1/2 hrs long) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODSJsviD_SU

Not a slick Jobs/Cook type presentation ... Musk doesn't do those.

But what an insight in to the engineering challenges, and a carrot for young engineers looking for an amazing career.

Ches

Bill Dawes01/10/2022 18:21:16
605 forum posts

Well a bit like being asked your favourite music of all time, as fast as you think of one someone will suggest one you had forgotten about but the model that made my jaw drop was the (unfinished) Napier Dagger engine, Norman Laurence I think.

Asked on here before without success but wonder if it was ever finished.

Bill D.

Jeff Dayman02/10/2022 00:02:43
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Roy Entwistle - you might mean Barry Jordan. Have not seen anything from him for many years, but his machine tools were great. Malcolm Leafe produced some fine machine tool models as well.

Barrington Hares' aircraft engines were superb too.

Lately, locomotives by Alan Crossfield are wonderful to see.

I have only seen these in Model Engineer, not in person.

Jelly02/10/2022 00:15:22
474 forum posts
103 photos

A functioning 1/20th scale (simplified) replica of a Rolls Royce Trent 700 engine, that a former client of mine has in a glass case in his office.

Almost more impressive than that were the two paper-weights he had made from earlier attempts to make the same engine, sectioned to help show how they had (catastrophically and explosively) failed during testing then fixed in epoxy resin.

The chap in question doesn't actually know he's a model engineer though, for him it's a project he picked to be the culmination of the research he was doing as part of his (RR funded) PhD in Advanced Manufacturing.

From chatting to him about it (he's understandably quite proud of it) I believe several crucial components in the model would be effectively impossible to make without the use of "powder-fed directed energy deposition" 3D printing (which uses a stream of Inconel powder and an electron beam), whilst the failed attempts were made with various types of "selective laser melting" technology, which either couldn't achieve the resolution required or introduced defects into the parts.

In a way I feel like this somehow doesn't count, because it was produced with a budget in the tens of thousands, the backing of multiple massive organisations, and access to bleeding edge technologies which haven't even made it to wide-scale deployment yet.

But the chap still chose to make a model to prove his ideas, rather than the kind of sterile test-pieces I would more normally expect in and academic context.

Edited By Jelly on 02/10/2022 00:20:45

Brian Baker 102/10/2022 07:37:30
229 forum posts
40 photos

The next model I build!

Håvard Houen18/08/2023 09:52:36
4 forum posts
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 19/08/2022 18:56:40:

Cherry Hill stands out for me because she deliberately researches unusual machines from the past, often poorly documented, and reverse engineers the design which she builds from scratch to an extremely high standard.

Done it several times too, and every model is a high-grade multi-layered achievement. Much harder than building a well-known type from a decent plan made by someone else. Quite a few brilliant Model Engineers have produced impressive quantities of superb work, but I can't of anyone who beats Cherry Hill for volume, difficulty, workmanship, and originality.

I could not agree more. Unfortunately, I have only seen her work in books and on the web.

I would be very happy if someone could point me to museums or other exhibitions were examples of her work is on public display.

Best regards,

Håvard Houen

JasonB18/08/2023 10:23:54
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Her models are held by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Not sure if they are displayed but your best bet would be to contact them.

Ady118/08/2023 10:37:10
6137 forum posts
893 photos

There used to be a load of fabulous stuff in the Chambers Street museum in Scotland

Goodness knows what they've done with it all

We're talking jaw dropper stuff that worked when you pushed a button. All gone.

Edited By Ady1 on 18/08/2023 10:45:16

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate