By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for vic francis

Here is a list of all the postings vic francis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: FORNCETT MACHINESHOP (line shafted )
02/10/2023 19:37:48

Hi Noel, Thank you for the Forncett pics, wow great Museum!

Kind regards

Vic

Thread: Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum
01/10/2023 06:39:15

Wow! Looks a super museum , but only a few pictures of the full-size exhibits on the Forncett web site. Could someone post some pics please for those not able to visit.Love the Blacksmiths workshop....Thanks, vic

Thread: moving a 1250kg bridgeport clone
21/09/2023 18:58:59

Wow great workshop stue!

Carl, Good words of advice here, but as it's been said, don't rush the job, slowly and surely.... I agree , loose all the weight you can, I used to photo it all, mark the bolts with tippex ect , rather than leaving to memory! Yes not sure what the Luton vans tail lift is rated, it's what we used years back, some are only 500 kg, the old mother's pride wagon , was 1000kg! Since the old mill we moved was heavy, we used a pallet truck and the mill was bolted to it, just skimming the ground...and wedged so no lateral movement. Since the Tail lift was low rated we used the engine hoist in conjunction with the tail lift IE pulling the tail lift up then the , power the lift catching up.!bit by bit.. Then when level it's the pull in , which is where a which would be a big help...

I would check you can lift your mill carcase high enough, due to the slings sag ect, if you go the lift high route, if you have long ramps or wood beams ( preferably bolted and spaced) could you not winch (mounted in the dolly,) it up the incline on to the hire dolly? Sheet metal underneath would loose the friction on the beams...whatever you do, good luck!

Vic

Thread: Help me identify this 3 1/2 Guage Part Built 4-6-0 Tender Model
27/07/2023 06:27:50

Hi Martin , this model was not serialised in the building of it in The model Engineer unfortunately, which is a shame, which would help you alot in it's construction.There might be something similar I could find, but the measurements would need to be ignored, but at least you could see how the job is tackled! All depends if you build it or not, or restore your lathe! Dave is right good castings from Bonds!

Kind regards vic

Thread: Greenly English Mechanics 1.25" Traction Engine
19/07/2023 12:39:07

Hi Jason some info on the english mechanics engine in my folder... Ill see what i can find! I could not see your message in my pm!

Kind regards vic

Thread: Steam-Wagon Steering Query (Ackermann)
17/07/2023 22:41:54

Hi Nigel, that's a detailed answer! and good understanding of your Hindley project.I notice on the J Long panelled delivery van, the rear brakes could be two part, iron but a inside block of hardwood which bears against the actual rear rim.Perhaps this would give more friction than the metal block directly. I have seen a more modern solution of a motorcycle disc brake and caliper for braking ! But it does detract a little.The oil lamps are worth making, they look to be the round body type like Lucas king of the road, in another picture the flatter style of lamp , almost like on the back of the wagon. Did you make contact with the green painted ? hindley wagon builder? Think it was four inch scale?Keep the good work up! Kind regards vic

Thread: Greenly English Mechanics 1.25" Traction Engine
17/07/2023 14:00:54

Hi Jason, it's a good question, I have a greenly which is similar to the drawings, I have some of the drawings as well, which are a bit rough, the thing is they vary a fair bit, mainly the cylinder castings certainly vary in shape. On the station road steam website archive has some good pictures of ones which have passed through the business. It's a early design supposedly based on the Davy Paxman traction engine which Mr Greenly had access too.

Kind regards ,vic

11/07/2023 11:37:49

Hi Nigel, I was wondering which version you are making of the Hindley Wagon? Is it the boiler which has the extra steam dome / loco type perhaps? Or a vertical type as per the original design?Would this be in copper or steel? That is one point about steam wagon manufacturers ; the array of wheel types they used, anything from wood spoke , artillery, disc, cast pattern/ forged/ steel bars... the few pics I have seen show 3 types so far! If you go for the steel front tyre and disc see my folder pic , then you should have no problem turning the wheel, as rubber bites in hard while the wagon is stationary . Of course when you are on the move then any stiffness is not noticeable!

Its a shame there is not more info on this fine wagon, the commercial motor archive has some info in a search there; apparently Pickfords used them! Keep up the good work on this under modelled wagon!

regards vic

Thread: High Speed Milling
09/07/2023 05:45:23

Hi Iain, a very interesting post, and answers from everyone.In the past I have done a few thin piece milling as you mention, but found super glue too fail.Even if the metal is clean and surface prepared. This might not help but soft solder is a much preferred, as the attachment medium to the workblock.If you tin each surface first ,after cleaning, with a thin layer then sweat the two, finally pushing down with a flat block to seat it. A bit of practice... then when the job is done separate with heat. Ok the drawback is solder, but it is only a thin layer. That way bigger profile cutters could be used to rough out., Much stronger than super glue.. old hands used melting shellac which work much the same...which has been in me or mew which I could find if you need it. The cutter flute length could be a factor for slotting as well, my small 2 flute are very short , rather than the long carbide ones you mention.

. Chemical milling was used for small parts, and I think the profile and size would be a perfect candidate, but mainly brass for clock hands. I have seen small CNC doing this work, running 25,000 revs but it is axis feed control, even they broke cutters at times. So your steady hand feed is well controlled!.good luck!

Vic

08/07/2023 15:17:31

Hi Nigel have a look in my album called nigel for some steering drawings, i think it might help, its a four inch wagon.keep up the good work on your wagon!

kind regards

vic

Thread: Time to call it a day
05/07/2023 02:06:09

Hi Tug, whatever you do just enjoy it, your Model Engineering is of the Highest Calibre , and your comments based on your extensive experience so please continue or the Forum would be at a loss.Whatever you make I there is always something to learn from it, and thanks for sharing.

Vic

Thread: Governer kits (for a PMR-7)
12/06/2023 10:26:59

Hi Ross tubals series( governor) info emailed ,hope it helps vic

Thread: Is a 3" Cornish coal fire possible?
01/06/2023 05:34:20

Hi Chris have sent you a pm regards vic

Thread: Centec 2B
31/05/2023 22:27:06

Hi Neil have you got the manual? If not message me with your e, I think I saw the whole machine on eBay for£ 350, but have seen columns occasionally on there as well. I am sure if you wait patiently, parts come along...I'll keep a eye out!

Regards vic

Thread: 1" Scale "Thetford Town" showmans
27/05/2023 12:14:42

Hi Brian Cherry Hill made a special one inch Burrell Showman's...

Thread: George Adams 2 1/2" Precision
27/05/2023 12:09:40

Hi James pm sent,

Regards vic

Thread: New boiler design?
26/05/2023 12:02:26

Wow what do people do think? Could this apply to our model boilers?

Regards vic

Thread: How to relocate a Bridgeport series 1 milling machine.....
12/05/2023 20:03:09

Hi , it's a good milling machine, well worth getting! Say compared to a smaller mill, like tom senior which is always smaller and a challenge to do each job.I shifted a similar size mill, used a 3.5 t rated lorry and tail lift. First I took off the head with a engine type hoist which I hired.,and used the mills bed to help lower the head down as was out the hoists range at the top... And anything else,like vice ect. I used the two in tandem ie tailift and hoist, but you get to the point where it's solely on the tail lift... Then it's a worry. But then use the hoist to help lift the tailift! luckily the mill had a big cutout a the front for a big 5 foot lever to creep it in.Usually it's using 3 bars as rollers. It's a minimum of two people. A few months ago I bought a centec it was £300 quid in transport... Wilts to London.... they struggled a bit! I have tried landy lift twice but he never replied to any messages.A pallet truck is better than rollers but the mill need securing to it or it bolted to a pallet then lifting with the pallet truck. As they slide! You also need a good tool kit , rope to secure it all, old packing / cushions ect or there is a tendency to move in the wagon! Err the handwheel stem pushed through the ( rental) van side...

Well worth the stress ...

Vic

Thread: Ideas for rekindling the love
08/05/2023 04:49:10

Hi Andrew, it is a simple question you ask but the answer is not straight forward. Whatever the answer is that works for you only you will know.The problem could be single or a combination of 1001 things.I do think you have lost confidence in yourself, and can be difficult to regain .Only a suggestion but run something that works then that will lift your spirits , then go back to the Wyvern with a can do approach. It's not far away... you have done most of the work.

I agree with a lot written above a really useful thread,I admit I've gone slack with things, most likely due to experienced trauma, I certainly don't want a NHS happy pill and that route, just have to rekindle your original dream that you started with. So Andrew , don't give in to depression, Just find the answer and what works.As everyone says the World has changed after COVID, and the various tensions at present, sometimes we have to close the ( workshop) door to it all and get back on to the work in hand.

Best Wishes Vic

Thread: My First Steam Layout
04/05/2023 11:55:20

Hi Derek sent you a pm here.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate