Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Warning buyer beware

Mizoguchi boring head

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David-Clark 131/05/2022 17:39:29
271 forum posts
5 photos

On EBay over 22 years I have lost about £3 to a seller that never sent the item.

As a seller I refused one refund until the seller sent the item back for checking. He wanted the refund first and I refused. The item was my own Nikonwho camera in perfect order for £250 + postage. He asked for tHe refund within 1 hour of receiving it. EBay offered him the prepaid returns label which he did not use.

EBay sided with him but as he did not send the item back he did not get the refund but EBay suspended me.

I had sold about £91,000 worth of items over 15 years and this is how they treated me.

The other time I nearly got caught was when EBay used to offer second chance offers where sellers have 2 or more items the same. It was for a Boxford CNC lathe and I was within a key press of losing about £750.

Seller and buyer beware.

Y Ed eBHe contacts

David-Clark 131/05/2022 18:09:59
271 forum posts
5 photos

Ignore the gobsgook inserted by Apple at the bottom.

Peter Greene31/05/2022 18:26:18
865 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by David-Clark 1 on 31/05/2022 17:39:29:

The other time I nearly got caught was when EBay used to offer second chance offers where sellers have 2 or more items the same.

My impression was always that "second chance" happens when an item is sold but the buyer defaults. The item is then sometimes offered to the next highest bidder as second chance.

Having 2 or more of the same items is a simple multiple listing (or multiple separate listings).

David-Clark 131/05/2022 18:45:10
271 forum posts
5 photos

Hi prter

You are right but this was when second chance was first used many years ago.

Nobody new much about second chance offers back then.

I have used second chance offers when selling more than one item.

Do they still do second chance offers?

David Colwill31/05/2022 19:03:52
782 forum posts
40 photos

So the boring head is going back where it came from.

I'm not sure that this is a case of buyer beware, more a case of buyer check what you have bought!

In your position I would be reasonably confident of getting my money back. As others have pointed out use Paypal as a method of payment, they will immediately pull the money back if there is any problem and are pretty good at getting to the bottom of things.

As far as I am concerned this is a great illustration of your consumer rights in action!

Regards.

David.

Manny lambert01/06/2022 08:43:19
31 forum posts
15 photos

img_4937.jpgimg_4936.jpgimg_4935.jpgimg_4934.jpgimg_4938.jpgimg_4925.jpgimg_4926.jpgimg_4934.jpgimg_4940.jpgHi,

up dated photos of damage boring head created by other half.

Thanks for all support

Manny.

Samsaranda01/06/2022 09:26:41
1688 forum posts
16 photos

David, reimbursement from PayPal is not foolproof, I was scammed by a Chinese seller for an item that cost about £20, the seller sent an item that was worthless and not even related to what was advertised, PayPal sided with the seller and refused a refund. The seller had advertised the item on Facebook, learnt my lesson and do not respond to any adverts placed on Facebook, treat them all as if they are scams. Dave W

Howi01/06/2022 09:39:08
442 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Samsaranda on 01/06/2022 09:26:41:

David, reimbursement from PayPal is not foolproof, I was scammed by a Chinese seller for an item that cost about £20, the seller sent an item that was worthless and not even related to what was advertised, PayPal sided with the seller and refused a refund. The seller had advertised the item on Facebook, learnt my lesson and do not respond to any adverts placed on Facebook, treat them all as if they are scams. Dave W

yes! i've been caught out like this too, PayPal was useless, DO NOT rely on PayPal to reimburse you.

the item had to be sent back (to China) at more than original price paid, so not worth it, one lives and learns.

Just be careful what you "WISH" for........

Peter Greene01/06/2022 18:31:06
865 forum posts
12 photos

I was scammed by a Chinese seller for an item that cost about £20, the seller sent an item that was worthless and not even related to what was advertised, PayPal sided with the seller and refused a refund.

Sounds like half the story - surely Paypal must have give a reason for "siding with the seller"?

My experiences with getting refunds from Paypal may be too few to be statistically significant but in all cases Paypal seemed to be almost "falling over itself" to give me my money back ... I certainly got the impression that it favoured the buyer.

Tony Pratt 101/06/2022 18:51:44
2319 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 01/06/2022 18:31:06:

I was scammed by a Chinese seller for an item that cost about £20, the seller sent an item that was worthless and not even related to what was advertised, PayPal sided with the seller and refused a refund.

Sounds like half the story - surely Paypal must have give a reason for "siding with the seller"?

My experiences with getting refunds from Paypal may be too few to be statistically significant but in all cases Paypal seemed to be almost "falling over itself" to give me my money back ... I certainly got the impression that it favoured the buyer.

My experience with Paypal has been positive in the main, normally if goods don't turn up.

Tony

Neil Lickfold01/06/2022 20:30:53
1025 forum posts
204 photos

Those boring heads are almost bullet proof. I would think that if carefully taken apart and then reassembled and deburred inside, it should all be working fine. If anything, the #2 MT may well be bent at the joining area. They are a little tricky to get apart . Most common is the over travel and it creates a burr on the inside part. 1985 was when I took one apart to repair. It was loose and tight on the feed ring.

lfoggy01/06/2022 20:51:54
231 forum posts
5 photos

This post has been interesting to me as I had been looking for a used Wohlhaupter boring head on eBay and elsewhere for a while. A few were offerred but they did not look good to me. After a year of watching I concluded the option was a new Wohlhaupter for £2k+ or a new Vertex of similar spec for less than half that. In the end I purchased a Vertex boring and facing head from Rotagrip and it is a decent tool. Finish not as good as a new Wohlhaupter but not that much in it. And of course my tool was box fresh, new and shiny and covered by Vertex warranty. Accuracy and ease of use is similar I think. Maybe not as robust in an industrial environment but then I am just a hobbyist....

Edited By lfoggy on 01/06/2022 20:54:27

Michael Gilligan01/06/2022 22:47:20
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

There’s a lot of ‘advertising puff’ in the ebay listing … but one clear statement is quite evidently untrue:

… no damage or marks …

That alone is enough to justify a full refund.

MichaelG.

P.S. __ as a pleasing diversion, on the subject of puff,  I recommend reading this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlill_v_Carbolic_Smoke_Ball_Co

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 01/06/2022 22:54:06

Howi02/06/2022 10:08:20
442 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 01/06/2022 18:31:06:

This is where the Chinese have found the loophole, PayPal states the item MUST be returned to the seller and you MUST submit proof of posting and seller MUST state that the returned item has been received.

They price their sale item at usually less than £20, knowing that UK post will charge almost as much to send back to China, so YOU lose every which way.

By clever advertising and (if you look carefully enough) wording in description, 99% of images of the item you THINK you are buying have nothing to do with what you actually get, it is the 1% you have to look out for.

If you think PayPal is going to look after your interests when buying anything from China, think again.

I still purchase lots of stuff from Chinese sellers but I choose who I buy from very carefully.

The likes of Hobbyking, Banggood and Aliexpress are good to deal with and I have had no problem buying high poriced items as well as the very low price stuff.

Beware buying ANYTHING from China via Facebook adverts, Wish is one to definitely avoid unless you know what you are ordering is EXACTLY what you want, read the descriptions very carefully and compare with UK sites.

I can give you an example, I recently bought a new watch, a very specific SEIKO 5 watch retailing at about £150 in the UK. Those in the know, will know that ALL Seiko 5 watches must have the following atributes:-

It must display Seconds, minutes, hours, day and date on an automatic movement, mine also had Crystal glass front AND rear where you can see the movement, called a display back.

Looking on the "dodgey" sites where the price was less than £30, while they looked like the real thing (I am convinced the photos were of the genuine Seiko), These cheap? nockoffs were Quartz movements with Acrylic glass and no display back.

I eventually bought from a UK based Chinese seller who sends orders from HongKong and I paid less than Half the UK price + no import duties etc

you JUST have to be CAREFUL.

Hopper02/06/2022 10:13:09
7881 forum posts
397 photos

I see some sellers on Aliexpress sell things ridiculously cheap, but charge a lot for postage, whereas their competitors charge more for the item and much less for shipping with China's subsidised postage system. Total price, rather amazingly (not) comes out the same. So if you go with seller A, it's not worth sending back for a paltry refund of the low purchase price. They have got your money and you are stuck with the dud product if it does not work etc. Bit sneaky.

Edited By Hopper on 02/06/2022 10:13:58

Samsaranda02/06/2022 10:56:00
1688 forum posts
16 photos

Glad my experience with Chinese retailers is reinforced by others experiences. Dave W

David Colwill04/06/2022 13:48:13
782 forum posts
40 photos

I see that it is back on eBay for £700.00

David.

Mark Rand04/06/2022 14:02:49
1505 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by Howi on 02/06/2022 10:08:20:

This is where the Chinese have found the loophole, PayPal states the item MUST be returned to the seller and you MUST submit proof of posting and seller MUST state that the returned item has been received.

PayPal will, actually, reimburse your postage when you return an item. The problem is that the limit is/was £15. This is too little even for a return to Europe, let alone to China. Discovered this when I bought a Roomba replacement battery from Belgium that wasn't accepted by the machine.

Manny lambert04/06/2022 15:41:15
31 forum posts
15 photos

Hi every one,

seller has relisted the boring head for £700 and still no detailed description regarding the damage. He has stated that I changed my mind is the reason for relisting.

I left negative feedback due to all the time wasted !, and dishonesty from this seller. Ebay gave me a full refund including postage.

God also intervened has we have received two full refunds, we will return one of the refunds as we are honest.

He now has to wait for us to refund him, that serves him right for being dishonest.

Manny

Michael Gilligan04/06/2022 16:36:09
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Will they never learn !?!

ebay has sent me an advert for it

8aac3803-f40e-4a6d-9207-940cf1ea3f7a.jpeg

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate