Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Aldi bandsaw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mechman4804/10/2018 18:25:42
2947 forum posts
468 photos

As mentioned had a try out of my new Aldi 'toy' today, so a brief summary.It's not a light piece of kit but easily lift able for one person. the overall finish is not bad for a Chinese machine & is very similar to one that can be bought at Machine Mart ( usual disclaimers apply in all cases. ) one difference being this has a120 watt motor as opposed to MM's motor rating of 85/90 watt, so a plus.

It comes with a small selection of 'bits', hex allen key, blade gauge, 2x pinned blades & a pair of adaptors for non pinned blades. With one of the supplied blades I tried it out with an assortment of material...

Brass - 3mm / 4mm
Aluminium sheet - 1mm
Acrylic sheet - 2mm
MDF 18mm.

With the blade having only 18 tpi it was not really suited to the material other than the MDF/wood & I had to go slowly even with variable speed facility but cut through all the samples. One thing I found was that you have to go slow & not to apply too much pressure with brass / thick MDF otherwise the cut 'wanders off' a lot so some mods are on the toduit list, I didn't try any 1/16" - 1/8" MS plate, I doubt it has the oomph to tackle it, besides I have a Clarke 4 x 6 bandsaw to do that sort of work.

I modified a coping saw blade with 24 tpi & fitted using the adaptors... works much better on the metal samples, cutting through a piece of 4mm brass fairly easily. In essence, for a Chinese import that is for the model maker / hobbyist & at a budget price, I can't complain... some might tho'. Just need to get some 24 tpi blades to suit, I believe M/Mart have them for their equivalent.

aldi scroll saw  (3).jpg

Blade... 18 tpi.
aldi scroll saw  (10).jpg

bits 'n' pieces...
aldi scroll saw  (9).jpg

samples... 3 mm, Brass, Ally, MDF,
aldi scroll saw  (4).jpg

with fitted adaptors & modified 24 tpi blade... 4mm Brass...

aldi scroll saw  (11).jpg

Will it do what I want it to do... I reckon so.

George.

the artfull-codger04/10/2018 19:24:46
304 forum posts
28 photos

I've owned a few scroll/fret saws over the years, nearok is good [all cast iron] I have a hegner, good of course but my favourite is my american delta with a quick release blade clamp, I use them for cutting out parts for pattarnmaking in the foundry as well as metal cutting, cut down eclipse fine teeth metal cutting coping saw blades work well,not keen on eclipse piercing saw blades,tend to wander,I used to purchase blades from shesto, not cheap but really good,swiss blades are the best, they don't easily snap & keep to a straight line with a little beeswax as lubricant, most blades have a slight bias usually toward the left but you soon get used to that.

Ray Lyons05/10/2018 06:59:41
200 forum posts
1 photos

The bandsaw I was referring to is very similar to the popular 6"x 4" metal cutting saw which has been about for years. I have one which although neglected (abused) is still going strong after more than 30 years service. This saw advertised by Aldi is only available on line and cuts about 3" square. They may have got it wrong but the quoted motor rating is about 1.5HP. You need to go on line and look at the offerings for last week. They also had a cement mixer on the list but this was deferred for a later date.

Bazyle05/10/2018 08:24:30
6956 forum posts
229 photos

As mentioned by Ian on 27th for all thin sheet attach it to or even between some sheets of wood.

The reason for the '3 teeth in work' advice is so that the material does not jerk forward at a microscopic level as the tooth leaves the cut and the next tooth comes in which leads to too deep a cut per tooth. A bit of wood helps stop this quick advance. This applies to all cutting, including had hacksawing and even drilling which is why you use a backing block to stop snatch at drill breakthrough.

Andrew Tinsley05/10/2018 10:23:13
1817 forum posts
2 photos

Not sure if we are talking jig (scroll) saws or bandsaws here. I have the previous incarnation of the Aldi bandsaw. It was end of line and I paid £40 for it. It is excellent on wood and providing you get a fine tooth blade it will cut non ferrous sheet material like a hot knife through butter. This, despite it being having far too high a cutting speed, according to theory.

Andrew.

Tom S.08/10/2018 14:50:56
8 forum posts

I've ordered one of the new Aldi bandsaws (they appear to have two - the smaller version looks more like a typical mini wood bandsaw, but the £150 one looks far more like the 6 x 4 inclined bandsaw than the cheaper vertical only version.

My main concern is compactness as I don't have a lot of room to spare for a full bandsaw, but after using a manual hacksaw for a while... yeah :D

Unfortunately, Aldi shipped me a scroll saw... wonderful, but not exactly what I ordered, and equivalent to about £70 - apparently they've made this mistake quite a few times according to the pretty helpful customer service, who helped out even on a Saturday and got it rectified for pickup and replacement.

So I should be getting an actual bandsaw around the end of the week, and I'll report back then about how good it is!

Ray Lyons13/10/2018 18:07:40
200 forum posts
1 photos

I look forward to seeing your report. Aldi are not the best with on line orders. Last year I ordered a 55" television but due to an error on my part, they sent two. I sent one back but it went missing over the Christmas holiday. It took a long time to get my money back.

Ray Lyons07/12/2019 15:33:48
200 forum posts
1 photos

Finally took the plunge and bought one of the portable metal cutting bandsaw. It took ten days to arrive, I think the horses on the stagecoach need a rest.

It arrived yesterday and I only got around to a trial this afternoon. When the blade was fitted and tried under power, I noticed a "jump" where it had been joined, far worse than when I make a bad job of brazing. Examining the blade, there was no sign of the joint but when cutting there is a nasty bounce as it passes through the guides and after a couple of cuts the area of the joint has been rubbed to clear metal. I usually make my own blades and will now make one up to try again or perhaps to do a fair test, buy one from a good British maker.

The machine itself is easy to handle and I can see a lot of use on the bench replacing the hacksaw although I must keep my hand in since the exercise helps keep the hand and arm joints in shape. I hope eventually to fit a table to use it in the vertical position.

Henry Brown07/12/2019 23:07:49
618 forum posts
122 photos
Posted by Ray Lyons on 07/12/2019 15:33:48:

"When the blade was fitted and tried under power, I noticed a "jump" where it had been joined..."

I bought one recently Ray, mine does the same but it still cuts ok, I've used it on some 30x40 cast aluminium bar and 30x25 EN3 that I'd machined down to make some T nuts and it cut fine, I was a tad alarmed by the jumping at first but realised it was probably the join, I'll persevere with the blade until it werars out (or breaks) and see about a better replacement then.

It does save a fair amount of tedious hacksawing though.

colin wilkinson08/12/2019 06:40:21
71 forum posts

After watching this video it makes it more appealing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IRFk10t2eaU&ebc=ANyPxKqeZt6ALWMLj41id7gqpfG0rdagbdeCPWlna4akG-sP-Ycfwg_ij187VLEGMt_OiOF7UZ8oJxbqKrxzRB4sPp6K4QeMag&feature=emb_title

not done it yet08/12/2019 08:06:46
7517 forum posts
20 photos

This thread started when the aldi offering was a small vertical bandsaw suitable for wood. It has included replies about disc blade metal cutters (rage type) scroll saws, their cheaper vertical metal bandsaw and now the typical hobby metal worker horizontal band saw (which can be used in three modes - horizontal, vertical with an added table or freehand)

This latest offering appears to be good value for money if it does the job - what with a three year warranty - if a straight cut is all you will ever need. I somehow doubt the saw delivers the power stated - more like power input - so the run-cycle might just need watching.

Just be aware that wearing it out in 3 years will not be what it is warranted for. Doubtless just manufacturing defects if most of these warranties are to be read carefully.

Personally, I preferred a slightly(?) more robust machine with swivel head (worth an extra fifty quid at least, I reckon). Likely a better blade (is the aldi blade just a carbon steel offering, which may mean further outlay fairly soon?). I’m not sure if mine can be easily converted to vertical operation and I have no wish to use it free-hand.

So, as a cheap option, the aldi looks quite good value - if it suits your needs, suits your pocket and doesn’t wear out too quickly. Most certainly better than no saw at all if, like me, manual hacksawing hacks me off these days!

Edited to add that the more expensive ones likely have a ‘no volts’ starter fitted as standard, an auto stop when the cut is completed and will operate without the switch being held in the on position by the operator (or rigged with some form of trigger-holding device - which may cause motor overheat if used continuously?).

Edited By not done it yet on 08/12/2019 08:18:26

Ray Lyons12/12/2019 17:18:22
200 forum posts
1 photos

I went to the TuffSaws site and found that they offer a cobalt hardened blade with varied tooth size for portable, metal cutting bandsaws. They claim that these blades last 5-10 times longer than the normal bi-metal blade.I ordered one at £14 including postage which arrived today.

I just tried it out on a piece of 1" heavy gauge pipe, taking a few cuts at various speeds. What a difference that makes, almost no sign of the joint and the cut is clean and smooth. See how long this one lasts and next time I will may buy a set of 3 which would be even cheaper.

It's a pity that Aldi did not specify a good blade when placing their order. Iam sure that the improved performance would encourage others to buy what is a very handy piece of equipment for hobby use.

Henry Brown12/12/2019 21:48:32
618 forum posts
122 photos

Thanks for the feedback Ray, I'll try to remember that!

FullaFlava13/12/2019 15:35:40
30 forum posts
52 photos

I bought one about 10 days ago and it took a week to arrive, I unboxed it today:

b85d3cbb-b1cc-4b8c-847d-787c2319c941.jpeg

Inside the cardboard is the stand and a blow moulded case for the saw, which is nicely screwed together with plastic and metal castings and not flimsy.

c363d22e-efd8-40ff-880f-f845ee921d69.jpeg

40388aad-f2cc-4d2a-b882-a01686956715.jpeg

f7652c8e-c4d7-47ca-945a-56fcdc6347a4.jpeg

The flex is about 2M/6 ft long, the blade is stored in the lid with the instructions, which were only in English. The blade is marked thus -

bad4ad04-af76-4c65-a390-9e2d2231660a.jpeg

There is a brush to remove filings from the teeth of the blade

e3a33188-9e45-4249-859e-a0f910833312.jpeg

Fitting the blade was easy, as was fitting the saw to the stand with 3 Allen bolts.

fe51a90b-1efd-4d34-b791-a5f293ac37cc.jpeg

The vice and the angle adjust (0 x 45 degrees) are secured with a lever lock, the vice onto the knurled bar. The speed control is step less in 6 stages from 0.7- 2.4 metres/ sec

i cut a piece of 30mm mild steel to test it with no other setting up initially at the slowest setting raising it to number 2 as it started to cut properly.

6af99981-8dcf-45c6-8795-f9acc1fd287c.jpeg

It cut through in a minute and a half, you have to keep the trigger held, there is a led light to help illuminate the cut., the cut vertically is a little off but no worse than hand cutting, the front to back is acceptable as it is adjustable by tweaking the angle

060d01a8-f6cb-4285-99cf-79493213c385.jpeg

de69f5e2-642c-4ac2-93d9-7b7772848ba1.jpeg

First impression is of good value and likely very useful especially when I get to making a vertical table fixture.

Al

Paul Rhodes13/12/2019 15:42:18
81 forum posts

I bought the same product 9 months ago and agree great VFM. The one issue is the poor hold on the vise. I routinely use a G Glamp to secure the workpiece.

Paul

Ray Lyons13/12/2019 16:39:32
200 forum posts
1 photos

I fitted the saw to the stand today and did a trial cutting a 11/4" bronze and a piece of 3"x1/2" steel plate. Both were easy and the cut was smooth. It would only need a little filing to finish.

A few things which would improve. The first would be a catch to hold the saw up while fitting and adjusting the work in the vice. 2/ some kind of stop to shut off at the end of the cut. 3/ an adjustable dampening devise to control the presure on the saw.

Some of these have already been covered by others and I will be looking to get some of these improvements soon. Someone is now going to say why not pay the extra and buy a saw with all those features built in but we are model makers and there is nothing like a challenge to improve what is already there.

not done it yet14/12/2019 00:12:16
7517 forum posts
20 photos

An automatic cut-off switch at the end of the cut seems a lot OTT - are you not holding the switch on, so just need to let go of it at the end of the cut?

Ray Lyons14/12/2019 06:30:40
200 forum posts
1 photos

Automatic cut off means you can leave it while doing other things. I admit to being a bit impatient, like watching paint dry.

Douglas Johnston14/12/2019 09:30:30
814 forum posts
36 photos

The vice seems to get a lot of criticism with some hardly holding at all and others much better. I seem to have been lucky as mine holds pretty well but I wonder if it will stay that way long term. It must be poor design or poor manufacture that causes the variation. If the vice becomes sloppy I will replace it with something better.

I don't think we can complain too much bearing in mind the relatively low price of the Aldi version. The blade also seems to be of high quality.

Doug

Ray Lyons14/12/2019 16:37:46
200 forum posts
1 photos

Doug, I agree with you, this saw is value for money. The blade supplied with mine is not so good, especially compared with the TuffSaw replacement. The vice on mine works OK with no sign of movement. I have a job though, trying to hold the saw while clamping the item to be sawn in the vice. You need three hands

Ray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate